Seville

Pvbgirl

17 hours ago, amyr said:

I think the timing of the trip up and back depends on the tide, so it's different each time.  We were scheduled to do this on Quest several years ago with Captain Carl, but we had a mechanical in Gibraltar the night before and had to wait for a part to be flown in.  We missed our tidal entry into Seville which was to be an early morning sail-in, and docked in Cadiz instead.  Seville was supposed to be our Azamazing Evening with Flamenco, so they brought the dancers to the ship.  The crew did a fantastic job rearranging all the shore excursions and providing buses for anyone who wanted to go into Seville, which I don't think they normally would do if docking in Cadiz. 

I think Captain Carl was the most upset about it.  I saw him at the buffet, and he told me that he'd been selling that cruise to anybody who would listen for three years because of that sail in.  It was a wonderful itinerary, but to him that was the biggest draw of the cruise.  I'd love to give it a try again sometime. 

He was on another cruise talking about it.With all the places he has travel he had never sailed into Seville.I remember reading the River had been cancel but had forgotten why. I skipped dinner and just enjoyed  deck 11 for hours.everyone left And I had the  landscapes  to myself 

4 hours ago, ellbon said:

He was on another cruise talking about it.With all the places he has travel he had never sailed into Seville.I remember reading the River had been cancel but had forgotten why. I skipped dinner and just enjoyed  deck 11 for hours.everyone left And I had the  landscapes  to myself 

We sailed to Seville with Carl before the aborted attempt.  We were on both of those cruises with him.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

We sailed to Seville with Carl before the aborted attempt.  We were on both of those cruises with him.

Yes Carl had done the trip at least twice before the time he had to cancel. The space available when the ship turns isn’t 8 feet either side as he said in a future cruise presentation it’s nearer 30ft but still an impressive tight manoeuvre that shows off the skills of the bridge and engineering teams. 

• Like 1

We did the Rome to the Alcazar trip in  2014 with Captain Carl, at the time he said it was the last time that they would be allowed to do the full transit up the river. It is the perfect location to tour Seville and take in the many highlights its all in walking distance of the ship. if you can find Monty Don's paradise gardens the Alcazar gardens feature in the first episode.

Luckily he was wrong on that. We loved our transit in 2019 a high spot. We’d done Seville from Cadiz before and very quickly realised actually we’d not really done Seville so loved our 36 hours there. Once life opens up it’s on the list for a long weekend as is Bordeaux another transit we loved. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Just found this spectacular Youtube video (though it was in 2013 already) of Azamara Quest passing the bridge in Seville.

Very cool!  Thanks for sharing. I recognise the sound of that horn. My second ever Azamara cruise was on Quest (with Captain Johannes having to cover very quickly for Captain Carl) and as we left a very foggy Venice the horn  was going off every one minute until we were safely out at sea. And then again in the morning as we approached Ravenna. My cabin was forward too so I got the full effect!

Phil 

• Like 2

Thanks for posting the video - wow!!  Now I am even more excited.  This cruise will be taking me back to my “roots”. I have family that came from Seville in the 1600’s to St.. Augustine and have wanted to make this trip for a long time.  

There is also a video of the 2013 reverse sail in - I can’t get the link to copy to post but it’s amazing to see.  

Edited by Skicruiser55
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Very cool!  Thanks for sharing. I recognise the sound of that horn. My second ever Azamara cruise was on Quest (with Captain Johannes having to cover very quickly for Captain Carl) and as we left a very foggy Venice the horn  was going off every one minute until we were safely out at sea. And then again in the morning as we approached Ravenna. My cabin was forward too so I got the full effect!

Phil 

We were also on that cruise, we only just made out of Venice before they closed the port, Johannes said he was really on vacation 

52 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

We were also on that cruise, we only just made out of Venice before they closed the port, Johannes said he was really on vacation 

That's right!  I don't think we met. I was on the bridge for sailaway. The fog came in fast, didn't it?  The mood of the pilot changed very quickly from pretty friendly to like "we need to leave now!". It was very spooky. One of the Cunard ships didn't make it in next day and had to go to Trieste instead. Not fun as Venice was their turnaround. 

Sorry to take this thread off topic a bit. 

Phil 

10363AEE-3192-44FB-A5F1-FA74466690A8.jpeg

Both videos are amazing.  No tugs, no 'mules' – and backing up from the forward-facing bridge!  And yet the ship sailed in a perfectly straight line as if it was a walk in the park.  And clearly the Azamara ships are the absolute largest that can attempt this.  My hat is off to the captains.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Just found this spectacular Youtube video (though it was in 2013 already) of Azamara Quest passing the bridge in Seville.

I have be wanting to go to Seville on an Azamara cruise for quite awhile (and have had my eye on a few specific ones), but this just put it over the top.  I definitely need to make it happen!  Thanks for the posting.

Edited by mchell810
  • Like 1

It definitely is quite an accomplishment.  Would have been on the Nov 2020 cruise then moved to Sept 2021 (just doesn’t seem like cruising this year will be up to par) so planning on the Apr 5, 2022 sailing!  With 2 nights in Seville this is a great itinerary!  Counting the days!!

3 hours ago, Skicruiser55 said:

It definitely is quite an accomplishment.  Would have been on the Nov 2020 cruise then moved to Sept 2021 (just doesn’t seem like cruising this year will be up to par) so planning on the Apr 5, 2022 sailing!  With 2 nights in Seville this is a great itinerary!  Counting the days!!

Yes, that's a real winner itinerary!  Obviously Azamara has figured out they have a good thing going:  2022 has seven (7 - count 'em - 7) itineraries that sail up the river to Seville, four with two overnights.  But you get a morning sail in (which is great if you are a morning person...)  We're on the Sep 17 version which has the two overnights but arrives at 9 pm and departs at 9 pm – the daylight won't be as good, but at least I will be awake!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seville is beautiful. Sailing into Seville is tricky. It depends on tires and water levels.  I did it on Star Legend. We docked, walked off ship, went into the tourist info, and in 5 minutes we walked to center of town.  We were so close to many attractions...Alcazar, Palace, cathedral with tomb of Columbus, etc. it was one of favorite ports.  If they dock in Cadiz, bus ride is 2 hours each way.  Go. It’s worth the trip. 

• Like 2