Get rid of the buffets already!...

klfhngr

Should buffets go away?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. Should buffets go away?

• Yes
    • No

12 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Cruises are something without much price elasticity.  People do have a choice.  Do you think the average person will choose to pay Seabourn prices for a cruise on Carnival?

Hi

To this question, I would say the answer is No. However, what I did say was, we will be paying "more", one way or another. Also, as already said, we will be paying more for everything. The Seabourn prices will go up too, so everything is relative. 

14 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

My point is simply this.  The lines will not survive under the 'new normal'.   Things will have to return to the 'old normal' for the mass market lines to survive.

To this point, I don't know. Maybe you do, but you could be wrong. What I am saying, is that they may be able to operate, just not as profitably as before. You know, maybe that $8 stock price for Carnival is all it will be worth for many years. Just like when they started. At least until they find other, and maybe better ways to separate ourselves from our money. 

Of course that is, if they survive at all. This is a worldwide situation . The travel industry, not just cruising, is at this time, going on a hope and a prayer. The only reason the airline industry hasn't given up already is because of massive bailouts (again worldwide). Surprise, with our money. Take from the poor and give to the rich. 😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

To this question, I would say the answer is No. However, what I did say was, we will be paying "more", one way or another. Also, as already said, we will be paying more for everything. The Seabourn prices will go up too, so everything is relative. 

To this point, I don't know. Maybe you do, but you could be wrong. What I am saying, is that they may be able to operate, just not as profitably as before. You know, maybe that $8 stock price for Carnival is all it will be worth for many years. Just like when they started. At least until they find other, and maybe better ways to separate ourselves from our money. 

Of course that is, if they survive at all. This is a worldwide situation . The travel industry, not just cruising, is at this time, going on a hope and a prayer. The only reason the airline industry hasn't given up already is because of massive bailouts (again worldwide). Surprise, with our money. Take from the poor and give to the rich. 😃

CCL is at $16+ today.

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

My point is simply this.  The lines will not survive under the 'new normal'.   Things will have to return to the 'old normal' for the mass market lines to survive.

Then they won't survive.  However, a cruise line that buys the ship at 10 cents on the dollar at the bankruptcy auction will have a low enough overhead to make it work at lower occupancy at neither a profit nor loss for a couple of years, with the expectation decent profits once either there is a vaccine, herd immunity or effective treatment to the point the old normal can return.

3 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Then they won't survive.  However, a cruise line that buys the ship at 10 cents on the dollar at the bankruptcy auction will have a low enough overhead to make it work at lower occupancy at neither a profit nor loss for a couple of years, with the expectation decent profits once either there is a vaccine, herd immunity or effective treatment to the point the old normal can return.

That may well be the future but it will be a future without me and my wife.  I'm too old to wait for that to play out in the courts. Second, even if I could, I'm simply not interested in the socially distanced type of cruising.

10 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Second, even if I could, I'm simply not interested in the socially distanced type of cruising.

Just curious, are you currently living in a socially distanced way? We are and it's become our new normal. We arrived in Seattle Sat. afternoon. We have a little condo here. Our daughter was in a pretty severe accident about a week ago breaking three vertebrae in her neck and other not as serious injuries. We haven't had a face to face with her yet because of CV. But we've cooked and grocery shopped for her. Weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow so we'll go over and visit outdoors. Life has changed.

I have to wonder how much price elasticity there is in the cruise line industry.   Not just between cruise lines but between travel options.  That includes the costs to get and from ports, plus hotels etc.  Especially with families and post covid when many will be trying to recover financially from post covid.  If cruise and air pricing increases substantially how much demand will taper off?  Not to mention investment losses that impact cash flow.

Not all jobs will return.  Expect to see an uptick in offshoring as some companies that have been doing the  teleworker routine realize they can do the same as effectively but for much less by moving those positions to much lower cost countries.

Last fall we looked at Med cruises.  We were very much leaning to touring Greece and Cyprus on our own. When we priced out the inclusion a balcony cabin, including all costs,  in our plans we made the decision that we could get more bang for our money and more enjoyment by elongating our land travels.  A few years ago we might have done both.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, clo said:

Just curious, are you currently living in a socially distanced way? We are and it's become our new normal. We arrived in Seattle Sat. afternoon. We have a little condo here. Our daughter was in a pretty severe accident about a week ago breaking three vertebrae in her neck and other not as serious injuries. We haven't had a face to face with her yet because of CV. But we've cooked and grocery shopped for her. Weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow so we'll go over and visit outdoors. Life has changed.

Wishing your daughter a full and speedy recovery, Take good care of her.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Wishing your daughter a full and speedy recovery, Take good care of her.

Thank you for your kind words. She's strong physically and mentally. And I now know how to make tomato soup 🙂  (No food to chew.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, clo said:

Take good care of your daughter.  

Our social distancing is very relaxed.  We only wear masks when we visit a retailer who requires a mask.  

• Like 1

clo; sorry to hear about your daughters accident.  Best wishes for a good recovery.  She is blessed to have her parents come and help her out.  But then, that is what parents do;  we raise our children and help then when needed.  Have a warm and sunny day.

13 hours ago, clo said:

Thank you for your kind words. She's strong physically and mentally. And I now know how to make tomato soup 🙂  (No food to chew.)

The key to great purees I find either lots of spices or lots of herbs. It really kicks up the flavour. And if all else fails generous lashings of butter or cream will make anything taste good. I also don't mind a little umami kick like fish sauce or miso paste. I wish the best for your daughter it is great restrictions have eased you can be there for her, hopefully you don't get a new round of restrictions with everything happening over on your side of the world. Stay safe sending out virtual hugs🤗 or should that be virtual elbow bumps😜?

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

fish sauce

I discovered that a couple of years ago and it's like magic. And, to others, no it doesn't taste like fish 🙂

We came up in our motor home interacted with only the host at the RV park. We wouldn't have flown or stay in a motel

Thanks for your elbow 🙂  Cath

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 4:10 AM, RocketMan275 said:

Posters in this forum, especially those with high post counts, can reasonably be considered cruise fanatics.  Very difficult to consider them representative of the rest of the population.

Good point.  For certain there are the cruising mega fans, and nothing wrong with that.  Maybe some other folks with those incredible post counts spend so much time on forums because it is the best entertainment available for their particular lifestyles.  I kind of get that as I'm spending a heck of a lot of time on forums these days.  Haha.     

16 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Second, even if I could, I'm simply not interested in the socially distanced type of cruising.

And there it is. Others have said as much too.   All of the changes being proposed to make cruising "safe" create a cruise atmosphere that is unappealing to me.    For me, if I don't cruise in the future it won't be because of fear so much as because I would no longer enjoy the experience.   I guess only time will tell.    

• Like 3

1 hour ago, clo said:

LOL. That's a word I haven't seen applied to social distancing. Have I read that Alabama isn't doing so well with the CV????

Alabama is doing just fine.  Of course, we don't send patients with the virus to our nursing homes.

38 minutes ago, ldubs said:

And there it is. Others have said as much too.   All of the changes being proposed to make cruising "safe" create a cruise atmosphere that is unappealing to me.    For me, if I don't cruise in the future it won't be because of fear so much as because I would no longer enjoy the experience.   I guess only time will tell.    

I would not wish to be on a cruise where everyone is fearful of the virus.  I find it amusing when you turn a corner and encounter someone with that 'deer in the headlights' look.

We've been debating for a couple of years whether to continue cruising or get another great dane.  Right now the dog is in the lead.

As I've said before, we're retired, we live within a comfortable walk to several restaurants, the country club house is less than 500 yards away.  We can have a rather nice time and never leave the neighborhood.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

CCL is at $16+ today.

Hi

I was just stating the fact that a significant portion  of the company was sold at that price ($8 a share), and perhaps that's all it's worth, considering the risk. The fact that the price of the shares went up doesn't necessarily mean the risk has lessened. The risk is the same until operations restart and can prove themselves viable. The value of the company (not the price of the shares) after this restart could very well be in that $8 per share for some time. We will see.

1 minute ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I was just stating the fact that a significant portion  of the company was sold at that price ($8 a share), and perhaps that's all it's worth, considering the risk. The fact that the price of the shares went up doesn't necessarily mean the risk has lessened. The risk is the same until operations restart and can prove themselves viable. The value of the company (not the price of the shares) after this restart could very well be in that $8 per share for some time. We will see.

I bought 200 shares at nine and a half.  Not a lot of risk there.

2 hours ago, clo said:

LOL. That's a word (relaxed) I haven't seen applied to social distancing. Have I read that Alabama isn't doing so well with the CV????

I'm so sorry to read about your daughter.  I'm glad you can be near to help her and that she seems to be recovering.

Relaxed might be a regional thing as I've heard it in PA too.  Even a quick Google search shows Forbes and NY Times using the phrase.

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I'm so sorry to read about your daughter.  I'm glad you can be near to help her and that she seems to be recovering.

Relaxed might be a regional thing as I've heard it in PA too.  Even a quick Google search shows Forbes and NY Times using the phrase.

As it relates to social distancing? Really? Odd.

And thanks. Made leek, broccoli, spinach soup today with some creme fraiche. She really likes vegetables 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

As it relates to social distancing? Really? Odd.

And thanks. Made leek, broccoli, spinach soup today with some creme fraiche. She really likes vegetables 🙂

Vegetarians of the world unite.

5 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I bought 200 shares at nine and a half.  Not a lot of risk there.

P&O (UK) have suspended all sailings until the middle of October.  I assume that Princess, Carnival, Cunard etc will follow suit. 

Carnival will run out of cash  at the end of 2020. Things are getting tight. You  might lose your $190 !

22 hours ago, clo said:

I'm so sorry to read this... I hope your daughter continues to make progress, and that you can continue helping her. x

• Thanks 1