Mom freaking out about Corona-wants to cancel

JacqueO

22 hours ago, buddylover said:

Not actually true.....we sail on Saturday out of FLL, have been getting lots of RCI emails......the latest emails DO allow for China, Hong Kong and Macau passports to board now, BUT the disclaimer now is that they cannot have travelled to or from China, Hong Kong or Macau or been in the presence of anyone who has been to any of the above within the last 15 days.  If they have, they will be denied boarding.  But Chinese passports, according to our last email last week, was that they will be allowed to board now, due to a change in opinion at the CDC.

Thanks for the update. Royal, at the time I sailed, kept the emails coming as they are for you. Have a ball. They will make you happy you sailed.

We worry more about catching something on the plane trip to the port, than what we may/may not get on the ship. I think the cruise lines are being very diligent about keeping their ships clean. Airlines, not so much. 

to me, it sounds like mom doesn’t really want to go on the cruise and might be using the virus as a cover ? That’s what my mom would do. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 12:44 PM, JacqueO said:

Update on worried mom - So I squelched her initial fears and now she is just "making sure it'll be ok".  

Please come back after your cruise to let us know how great it was and that there were no medical problems. 

We were not concerned at all until today. Family member who was healthcare officer is very concerned because of the amount of cases that popped this week in Iran, Italy, and Korea. Royal is not stopping anyone from any other country from coming onboard at this point (my understanding) and neither the are airlines.  The concern is for the young children in our group as well as the little known about the pneumonia that develops with corona (that’s the real issue) Tough choices to make but there will be other cruises, that’s is how I see it. We have a few more days to decide. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, adri2202 said:

We were not concerned at all until today. Family member who was healthcare officer is very concerned because of the amount of cases that popped this week in Iran, Italy, and Korea. Royal is not stopping anyone from any other country from coming onboard at this point (my understanding) and neither the are airlines.  The concern is for the young children in our group as well as the little known about the pneumonia that develops with corona (that’s the real issue) Tough choices to make but there will be other cruises, that’s is how I see it. We have a few more days to decide. 

Royal did update their travel guidelines and added Japan,  S Korea, Singapore,  Thailand, and Iran to list of countries that needs extra screening . Also, study so far have shown children seems to be the least affected by the Coronavirus, with older folks most affected. 

3 hours ago, Jzx1103 said:

Royal did update their travel guidelines and added Japan,  S Korea, Singapore,  Thailand, and Iran to list of countries that needs extra screening . Also, study so far have shown children seems to be the least affected by the Coronavirus, with older folks most affected. 

This☝️

It seems to have little impact on children. Most of the severe cases are people older then 50-60 that also have other medical issues. I’ve been watching but I am not concerned at this point. And we cruise tomorrow with a 3 and 6 year old. We are just going to make sure we are washing our hands regularly. 

If all you folks who are so worried about coronavirus had any idea how many people are walking around in your community with active tuberculosis, you'd poop your pants! 

You're still MUCH more likely to get sick and have complications from influenza, folks.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, brillohead said:

If all you folks who are so worried about coronavirus had any idea how many people are walking around in your community with active tuberculosis, you'd poop your pants! 

You're still MUCH more likely to get sick and have complications from influenza, folks.

I am curious. How many people are walking around with active tuberculosis?

Edited by fallujahkid

This is how ridiculous people are being about this flu now..... 

True story. My friend took her dog in to the village yesterday where a lady said that she would like to stroke him but with all this corona virus around people had to be careful.
Luckily another lady pointed out that that he won’t have it ! 🤧🐶 🐾 

Stupid is as stupid does. 

Edited by little britain

2 hours ago, fallujahkid said:

The hospital I worked at (in a city of 50,000) would typically see a new case every other month.  And that's only the people that actually came into the hospital for treatment of their illness.  

People tend to think that TB is a disease of the past, but it's still out there, even in the USA.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2020 at 4:37 PM, brillohead said:

The reason that cruise ships have viral outbreaks is because of the PASSENGERS, not because there is something inherent in cruise ship design that makes them spew viruses everywhere.  People are nasty creatures with horrid personal hygiene and they spread their germs everywhere because they're too lazy to wash their hands or sneeze/cough into their elbow like civilized beings.

Cruise ships are also required to REPORT when sicknesses spread to a certain percentage of their guests, and the only way they have knowledge of that is because their passengers are limited to one medical facility -- that's never the case with any land-based touristy spot / hotel / resort / whatever. 

Every single fall, usually in November, at least one elementary school in my town will shut down unexpectedly for several days in a row because a gastrointestinal virus has started spreading to a significant number of people and they take time off to stop the person-to-person spread and disinfect the facility.  Does this mean we should shut down all schools everywhere?  Nope.  Just means we need to teach the kids to wash their hands better. Illnesses will spread everywhere, not just on a cruise ship.

The fact that we don't have more sickness on cruise ships is a testament to how well they keep up on the cleaning process, because the ships aren't the problem -- the people (passengers) are.  And since they can't control the behavior of the people no matter how hard they try (washy-washy!), the cruise lines affect the environment that is under their control.  

Land-based entities have no incentive to keep things clean, because they don't have to report illnesses or even keep records on them.  But people pick up viruses in those places every single day and spread them everywhere, make no mistake about it.

Excuse the late reply.

Imho you are cheerleading for the cruise industry, which is not terrible. We all (mostly) love cruising.Passengers fault? Cruise lines fault? Outcomes are still the same. 
And a cruise ship doesn’t come close to comparing to a land based entity like a hotel for ease of transmission. On the cruise ship people are in much closer quarters, there’s many more shared contact points and for crew even more so.

According to the experts it mainly comes down to proximity and the shared food sources.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/6525470/coronavirus-cruise-ships/amp/

• Like 1

This is not flu.  It is much more highly transmittable and it has a much higher death rate.  I have gotten both flu and norovirus on cruises even though I was careful.  My husband and I are both over 70.  We are booked on the Serenade next week and are thinking seriously about cancelling.  I am actually  more afraid of quarantine on the ship than I am of getting the virus.  If I do get sick I'd much rather be home.  Our lives are worth more than $3000.

• Like 3

On 2/22/2020 at 5:52 PM, brillohead said:

We are on HOS at the end of April.

Not so much concerned about the virus as you can get it or something worse anywhere at any time.

However I'm very concerned with the possibility of being quarantined for an extensive period of time.

No telling where this is going.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RWMike said:

We are on HOS at the end of April.

Not so much concerned about the virus as you can get it or something worse anywhere at any time.

However I'm very concerned with the possibility of being quarantined for an extensive period of time.

No telling where this is going.

This.  Its not so much about the virus.  Its more about can you potentially be away from your home for 4 weeks.  Because if HOS gets 1 person infected then no one can leave the ship for 14 days and if it spreads then they will move you off ship to different quarantines for another 14 days.  There is no facility in Port Canaveral that can handle all the crew and passengers for 14 days in a quarantine other that a ship.  Its a risk you take.  But if you can get away with it then you might get a good deal on a cruise. 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2020 at 8:53 AM, fallujahkid said:

In 2012, an estimated 8.6 million chronic cases were active. In 2010, 8.8 million new cases of TB were diagnosed, and 1.20–1.45 million deaths occurred, most of these occurring in developing countries (as per the W.H.O.)

I just read a thread on the RCCL forum  started by DragonoftheSeas regarding the B2B cruise from March 7-27 that she is taking with her DH.

They received a pre-cruise letter informing them of a port change from St Lucia to Dominica. Apparently, St Lucia is not accepting cruise ships with passengers and/or crew from Italy, Singapore and Japan.

One has to question if other Caribbean islands or other places in the world,for that matter, will be increasing restricting cruise ships from docking at their ports.

It seems that certain Princess ships located in Australia are facing the same situation where port entry has been denied to their ships. I recall reading that one poster was on an eight sea day cruise.

It will be interesting how the ramifications of this Coronavirus19 plays.out in future weeks and months. 

• 3 weeks later...