Mom freaking out about Corona-wants to cancel

JacqueO

So my mom is freaking out about our cruise on Harmony out of Port Canaveral on March 8 - going to the eastern Caribbean.  She is worried that we will be quarantined as she keeps hearing everything on the news about the people being stuck and unable to get off the ship for a few days/weeks.  I am trying to explain that the boats affected were out of asian cruises and that Harmony has only been to and from US/Caribbean.  Am I wrong?  She purchased the insurance but I'm also trying to explain that she may not get her money back as the insurance is if you get sick and have to cancel - not if you just decide not to go.  Hoping someone can shed light on this.  She needs a break - she has been so stressed out with work etc - but now this is keeping her up at night as she is afraid.  Again I tried to explain that if anything the washy-washy people will be out in full force as they will be hyper vigilant about prevention.  Am I wrong on my points?  Thoughts?  Anyone else freaking out like this?

5 minutes ago, JacqueO said:

So my mom is freaking out about our cruise on Harmony out of Port Canaveral on March 8 - going to the eastern Caribbean.  She is worried that we will be quarantined as she keeps hearing everything on the news about the people being stuck and unable to get off the ship for a few days/weeks.  I am trying to explain that the boats affected were out of asian cruises and that Harmony has only been to and from US/Caribbean.  Am I wrong?  She purchased the insurance but I'm also trying to explain that she may not get her money back as the insurance is if you get sick and have to cancel - not if you just decide not to go.  Hoping someone can shed light on this.  She needs a break - she has been so stressed out with work etc - but now this is keeping her up at night as she is afraid.  Again I tried to explain that if anything the washy-washy people will be out in full force as they will be hyper vigilant about prevention.  Am I wrong on my points?  Thoughts?  Anyone else freaking out like this?

Just let her know, she lives in Florida, filled with International travelers and she can catch it walking outside......Won't help, but sometimes pointing out an extensive fear and showing how living a daily life is just as "dangerous" as leaving your neighborhood.

• Like 2

The cruise lines are denying boarding to anyone who has been in the Coronavirus affected countries in the last 30 days, including crewmembers.  So there should be no one on board that has been exposed inside the 14 day incubation period.  

Insurance won't cover this as a reason.  Unless she has "cancel for any reason,"  she won't recover her cruise fare.  

She's more likely to get Norovirus, which can happen anytime on a cruise.  

She's more likely, as others have said, to get sick at the supermarket.

Take wipes and wipe down surfaces that worry you, wash your hands FREQUENTLY on board, and be diligent.  Not sure it'll help, but will help prevent Norovirus.

I'll bet that on all RCI ships that disinfecting and cleaning procedures are at the Max at this time.  They might actually be the most sanitary place in the world. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

I should add that she isn't worried about getting it but about the quarantine.  My grandmother is in a nursing home and she's afraid that if we are stuck on a ship for 2 weeks she won't have anyone to go visit/take care of her. 

• Like 1

Suggest to your mother that she stop watching the news but if she insists on watching buy her an atlas so she can see that the major issues are not even in this hemisphere.  As others have suggested wash hands frequently with soap and water and use the paper towel to open restroom door.  Just sailed Harmony in November and she is an awesome ship.  I also seldom if ever eat at the Windjammer when cruising as I don't know who touched the food/spoons/glasses.  Have seen people pick up cookies/bread and then put them back down in container.  At least the employees wear gloves when they touch food.  I also hear on news that flu is rampant in USA so I guess she does not go to grocery store or other public place.  She probably has a better chance of catching the flu when visiting the nursing home.  Tell her to relax and live and enjoy life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, JacqueO said:

We're on the same Cruise, In laws are already forfeiting their money and canceling (they didn't buy travel insurance). We will not try to convince them to go any further. 

Edited by Jzx1103

Has your mother had a flu shot? There is a greater chance of getting the flu at home and not being able to visit your grandmother in the nursing home. I live in NY which has the most international travelers in the US. My wife works in Bellevue Hospital where the first case of Coronavirus  scare showed up. It turned out to be negative but she marched in to work past the news vans and reporters everyday since. She travels on crowed mass transit trains ,subways and buses daily and never thinks about getting sick.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Has your mother had a flu shot? There is a greater chance of getting the flu at home and not being able to visit your grandmother in the nursing home. I live in NY which has the most international travelers in the US. My wife works in Bellevue Hospital where the first case of Coronavirus  scare showed up. It turned out to be negative but she marched in to work past the news vans and reporters everyday since. She travels on crowed mass transit trains ,subways and buses daily and never thinks about getting sick.

Great immune system just like my SO. 

• Like 2

I understand that she is freaking out.  It is her option to cancel and there is nothing you can do about it.  However, in the meantime, honor her reasoning and decision but I do hope that you are still going. 

You are correct, unfortunately, she won't get reimbursed from the insurance unless the sailing is cancelled or if she does get sick and has a doctor's note.  

I am sorry!   It is what it is and it sucks!  

32 minutes ago, twangster said:

It's a personal choice.  I'm getting on a cruise in March and another in April.  

If she is that worried make sure she avoids going to church.  Much more likely to catch something at church.

My church has been doing the "no handshake" thing this flu season.  Even so, after the greeting, the smell of purell wafts up from every pew, lol.  Folks are serious about not spreading germs!

OP, it's hard when someone is already anxious to get through to them with reason.  Can you offer a back up plan in case there is an unforeseen delay, like someone on call to check on your grandmother?  (obviously, there won't be quarantine, but sometimes it helps to address the fear, no matter how unrealistic)

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jzx1103 said:

We're on the same Cruise, In laws are already forfeiting their money and canceling (they didn't buy travel insurance). We will not try to convince them to go any further. 

HA! If it were mine I wouldn't either. HAHAHAHAHA 

38 minutes ago, Colorado Babe said:

I understand that she is freaking out.  It is her option to cancel and there is nothing you can do about it.  However, in the meantime, honor her reasoning and decision but I do hope that you are still going. 

Yes we are still going (my husband, myself, and my 9 year old).  I sent her a message after reading everyone's posts about being realistic with the threat but that I'd understand if she ultimately cancels and hope that she changes the cruise vacation to another one bc she needs time to decompress and relax. 

14 minutes ago, Fa-Li said:

OP, it's hard when someone is already anxious to get through to them with reason.  Can you offer a back up plan in case there is an unforeseen delay, like someone on call to check on your grandmother?  (obviously, there won't be quarantine, but sometimes it helps to address the fear, no matter how unrealistic)

She makes it sound like my grandmother is on an island all alone.  She's in capable hands and although she doesn't speak the language she's been in this home now for about 5 years and does well as the nurses/staff all know her and her communication trends.  She has dementia so my mother goes to visit her daily - I told my mom that one of her friends (who also speaks Portuguese) could go visit her if that would make her comfortable.  It didn't help. 

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

Suggest to your mother that she stop watching the news but if she insists on watching buy her an atlas so she can see that the major issues are not even in this hemisphere.  As others have suggested wash hands frequently with soap and water and use the paper towel to open restroom door.  Just sailed Harmony in November and she is an awesome ship.  I also seldom if ever eat at the Windjammer when cruising as I don't know who touched the food/spoons/glasses.  Have seen people pick up cookies/bread and then put them back down in container.  At least the employees wear gloves when they touch food.  I also hear on news that flu is rampant in USA so I guess she does not go to grocery store or other public place.  She probably has a better chance of catching the flu when visiting the nursing home.  Tell her to relax and live and enjoy life.

Here's the funniest thing I've ever heard from my mom - "I don't watch the news bc all they do is not post things.  They don't tell the full story bc THEY DONT WANT TO SCARE THE PUBLIC".  I'm like "mom - seriously - they salivate over a story like this to fear monger the viewers.  They love a story that scares people so if anything they are making it MORE than it is.  

Oh and you've just convinced me never to eat at Windjammer lol

• Like 3

In the past few years, I have had to encounter things I never thought I would. I see things in a different way now. Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes. Honor her feelings and let her know you hear her concerns. You have probably already told her all the reasons she doesn't need to be concerned.  Maybe try once more. Then, let her know that she would not be able to get her money refunded should she cancel. Tell her that you will respect her decision. Then, try to be at peace with what she decides.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, luv2sailAgain said:

In the past few years, I have had to encounter things I never thought I would. I see things in a different way now. Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes. Honor her feelings and let her know you hear her concerns. You have probably already told her all the reasons she doesn't need to be concerned.  Maybe try once more. Then, let her know that she would not be able to get her money refunded should she cancel. Tell her that you will respect her decision. Then, try to be at peace with what she decides.

She does need to be concerned. She should cancel. I would cancel. 

Well, I just read your recent post. You and I were posting at the same time.  I am glad you put the ball in her court.  I am glad you are still going on the trip.

Anything could happen on a cruise, or any where else for that matter. So, glad to know your grandmother is in good hands should your mom decide to go.  It is hard to have an aging parent.

I hope your vacation is wonderful!

9 minutes ago, JacqueO said:

Yes we are still going (my husband, myself, and my 9 year old).  I sent her a message after reading everyone's posts about being realistic with the threat but that I'd understand if she ultimately cancels and hope that she changes the cruise vacation to another one bc she needs time to decompress and relax. 

You should cancel. Cruise ships are a big threat in spreading the virus. 

11 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Just on the news now, 88 more cases on Diamond Princess. Cruise ships are a major threat. 

Kind of a special circumstances since 1) this was a Asian sailing and 2) these people have been confined to this Ship for 3 weeks now. If it was really bad on cruise ships, you would see a lot more cases on many different cruise ships sailing around the world by now. So far only 2 asian sailing ships even have Coronavirus issues (The issue with the Westerdam was also their own doing). There are 100+ cruise ships are out there sailing everyday. Surely its not some widespread issue (and hopefully it stays that way)

Edited by Jzx1103
  • Like 9