Mom freaking out about Corona-wants to cancel

JacqueO

28 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Just on the news now, 88 more cases on Diamond Princess. Cruise ships are a major threat. 

In my opinion, that cruise ship is now just a huge incubator for the disease. The longer those passengers stay on that ship, the more are going to become infected.

• Like 1

I could have written this post myself. We are cruising in JUNE (yes June) to Alaska and every day my parents try to argue with me to cancel before we pay our final deposit. I have tried to educate them, I have tried to reason with them, I have reminded them our cruise is MONTHS away, I have even forcefully told them we (Me, hubby, and teen) will be going and they can choose to stay behind and miss their Alaska vacation. I find this hyped paranoia insane. They have a higher chance of getting the flu on a grocery store shopping cart or plane ride than on a cruise ship that is barley leaving the US. Washy washy friends.

• Like 2

I have the same issue.  Sailing on Oasis on Sunday and the friend I am supposed to travel with is afraid to go.  I have tried to make all the arguments mentioned in this thread but she won't budge... so I am sailing alone since she is going to be a no show and I will get triple points instead of double.  Funny thing is she does not know her son has booked a surprise Alaska cruise for her with his family in May!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

If she is freaking out just let her stay home and have her peace of mind.

This is the best response I've seen posted here. This is an emotional response. Rationalizing it just makes things worse because that doesn't address the emotional response. Empathy and compassion work better IMHO. (Learned the hard way.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I got off the Anthem the day that the $&@$ hit the fan (Feb 7).  I’m boarding the Grandeur the day after tomorrow. 

I’m not even slightly bothered. 

Obviously, each person must decide for him/herself. 

Well, make sure you keep her in good shape. 😁  DH and I will get on the Grandeur March 7.  

1 hour ago, StormiB said:

They have a higher chance of getting the flu on a grocery store shopping cart or plane ride than on a cruise ship that is barley leaving the US.

To be fair, both Radiance and Ovation are coming over from that side of the globe, just sayin.....

We are sailing Ovation Sept. 4 and the only way we will miss that cruise is if Royal cancels it.  We leave on Liberty March 1 and will make that one also.  Flying cross country for almost every cruise only makes us want to get on the ship more.  We have discussed the possibilities and came to the same conclusion (there are 4 of us) that regardless we will be on the plane to Houston.  We know washy, washy is a big step to staying safe.

1 hour ago, MaryEBS said:

I have the same issue.  Sailing on Oasis on Sunday and the friend I am supposed to travel with is afraid to go.  I have tried to make all the arguments mentioned in this thread but she won't budge... so I am sailing alone since she is going to be a no show and I will get triple points instead of double.  Funny thing is she does not know her son has booked a surprise Alaska cruise for her with his family in May!  

I am also sailing sunday on Oasis with my mother. Hopefully we will all be ok! 

I hate that people are canceling because of fear is something so nebulous. This is a really bad year for influenza, which is a serious illness for vulnerable people. That isn’t stopping people from cruising. 

Yet a virus on the other side of the world has people in a panic. It’s their choice to cancel and lose a great cruise plus their money, but it’s sad that they don’t do a little research, that might change their minds. 

So far as ships being a breeding ground for germs, so are schools, office buildings and hospitals. My DS contracted C Diff in the hospital and almost died. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You should cancel. Cruise ships are a big threat in spreading the virus. 

Not any more than a crowed bus headed for Chinatown in NYC. If people are so fearful of catching something on a cruise ship they shouldn’t sail cold weather itineraries or during winter months when most of the time is spent indoors do to the cold. That’s a lot of missed opportunities. If I had a trip planned for Asia I would cancel just for all of the uncertainty but in the Caribbean you stand a better chance of a sun stroke than Coronvirus. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

My work schedule won't allow me to take advantage of some of these crazy low prices, but if it did, I would be first in line. I saw $9/day per person for the 16 night Jewel Dubai to Rome sailing this morning. I would definitely get a balcony though.

7 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I hate that people are canceling because of fear is something so nebulous. This is a really bad year for influenza, which is a serious illness for vulnerable people. That isn’t stopping people from cruising. 

Yet a virus on the other side of the world has people in a panic. It’s their choice to cancel and lose a great cruise plus their money, but it’s sad that they don’t do a little research, that might change their minds. 

So far as ships being a breeding ground for germs, so are schools, office buildings and hospitals. My DS contracted C Diff in the hospital and almost died. 

There is a vaccine for influenza. 

I don't blame her one bit.   Personally I am less concerned about getting the Corona-virus than I would be about being trapped in a cabin for 2 weeks.  It only takes 1 person to get everyone on the ship confined to their cabin.

I think new bookings are going to really start to slow up as we see this spreed.

• Like 1

If your mom is that scared about COVID-19 she should stay home.  You do not need her ruining your family's trip, with fear mongering conspiracies.  

Good thing for you is that RCI is not allowing anyone from that area on board

No RCI ships have reported a COVID-19 outbreak

Viruses (cold-like) do not do well in higher humidity weather

Only bad news is that you have a greater chance contracting norovirus or influenza before COVID-19. However, a sunburn or a hangover is more probable.  

2 hours ago, MaryEBS said:

Why do you get triple the points? Is it because you're in a Suite? 

25 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

It doesn’t cover every strain. It also doesn’t cover the thousands upon thousands who doesn’t choose to get the flu shot. 

Those that don't get the flu shot are contributing to infections. I always get it. It may not cover 100% but it is still worth getting.

14 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Stop? People should be fearful. 

The only thing I'm fearful of is that America is more focused on COVID-19 than influenza.  Get your yearly flu vaccinations!  If anything this should make us all more aware about viruses and how they affect anyone who has a compromised immune system.  80% survival rate so far has been reported, there is a steady decline in China, and I'm curious on those that died what their health was like before death.  I've heard people claiming that the majority has been Asian (obviously), male, who are heavy smokers. 

• Like 4