Mom freaking out about Corona-wants to cancel

JacqueO

7 hours ago, JacqueO said:

So my mom is freaking out about our cruise on Harmony out of Port Canaveral on March 8 - going to the eastern Caribbean.  She is worried that we will be quarantined as she keeps hearing everything on the news about the people being stuck and unable to get off the ship for a few days/weeks.  I am trying to explain that the boats affected were out of asian cruises and that Harmony has only been to and from US/Caribbean.  Am I wrong?  She purchased the insurance but I'm also trying to explain that she may not get her money back as the insurance is if you get sick and have to cancel - not if you just decide not to go.  Hoping someone can shed light on this.  She needs a break - she has been so stressed out with work etc - but now this is keeping her up at night as she is afraid.  Again I tried to explain that if anything the washy-washy people will be out in full force as they will be hyper vigilant about prevention.  Am I wrong on my points?  Thoughts?  Anyone else freaking out like this?

A cruise is to be enjoyed and relaxing so she might be better giving the cruise a miss if she is so worried.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

We are sailing Ovation Sept. 4 and the only way we will miss that cruise is if Royal cancels it.  

Im sailing on Ovation August 21 and I concur. Hurricane Dorian completely ruined my last booked cruise that I booked over 500 days out so it will be well over 900 days since my last cruise when the next one gets here.  There is NO WAY I am cancelling this one.  My cruise is already paid, airfare already paid, spending money saved and my days off have been approved. The only thing stopping me will be death or a RC cancellation.  

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

Personally, I would never try to convince someone who is "freaking out" not to cancel.  If they are that concerned (warranted or not), they will not enjoy the trip.  Now, if I had paid for the trip I would be ticked and might consider never doing that again, but the choice to go should be theirs.

Somewhat related, my daughter and her best friend are planning a week long trip to Japan in two months (BF's sister teaches there).  So far, they have only purchased air fare...the sister living in Japan has reserved a hotel but that gets paid at check-out.  They are reaching out to the State Department to see if there are any realistic concerns with travel to Japan related to the virus (web site has no advisories posted).  They have already decided if it appears the zone of concern starts to widen, they will simply not go.

53 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Those that don't get the flu shot are contributing to infections. I always get it. It may not cover 100% but it is still worth getting.

Everyone in my family gets the shot. I had influenza in 1968 and it almost finished me off. 

I’m a strong believer in vaccinations. 

I cruise in spite of Norovirus and any other virus that comes along on a regular basis. 

Personal hygiene is the only weapon we have against them.  

Here's something I posted about a week ago, so the numbers are slightly different, but the point remains:

We're looking at about 45,000 cases worldwide...That is .00058% of the world population. Now, the vast majority of those are in China, and an even more vast majority of those are in East and Southeast Asia - maybe like 98%, I believe. So only 2% of the .00058% of the world's people (a) have Coronavirus and (b) are outside of E/SE Asia. These are rough numbers, and it's always changing, but just goes to show how ridiculously small of an issue this currently is outside of that region. Now, picture even just one of those people being the random few thousand people on that ship at the same time as you. 

The mathematician and engineer in me cannot even remotely calculate how small the odds of that are. 

•  
  • Like 7

We're doing a Mississippi River cruise the end of March. My MIL is going with us, and she's been making lets cancel noises over COVID-19. Managed to convince her if she's had a flu shot she need not worry. She lives in a very diverse city so I'm sure she's more likely to get it at the grocery store before then than on the cruise anyways.

3 minutes ago, StormiB said:

I meant MY cruise. In June which is going to Alaska. No where near Asia. 

Australia is somewhat near Asia and that's where those ships are coming from in May - for a paranoid person that might be enough to send them over the edge. And Spectrum will get together with Ovation, so again, the really paranoid might read something into that.

Edited by Biker19

Adding to the math facts above, I did a quick calculation last week. According to the numbers I used, 1 oui of every 10,000 residents in Wuhan, the epicenter, had been infected. Infected, not died. Extrapolate that to China and it is infinetesimal.  Now take that half a world away and you could probably have a better chance winning the lottery twice in a row

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JacqueO said:

So my mom is freaking out about our cruise on Harmony out of Port Canaveral on March 8 - going to the eastern Caribbean.  She is worried that we will be quarantined as she keeps hearing everything on the news about the people being stuck and unable to get off the ship for a few days/weeks.  I am trying to explain that the boats affected were out of asian cruises and that Harmony has only been to and from US/Caribbean.  Am I wrong?  She purchased the insurance but I'm also trying to explain that she may not get her money back as the insurance is if you get sick and have to cancel - not if you just decide not to go.  Hoping someone can shed light on this.  She needs a break - she has been so stressed out with work etc - but now this is keeping her up at night as she is afraid.  Again I tried to explain that if anything the washy-washy people will be out in full force as they will be hyper vigilant about prevention.  Am I wrong on my points?  Thoughts?  Anyone else freaking out like this?

9 hours ago, Jzx1103 said:

We're on the same Cruise, In laws are already forfeiting their money and canceling (they didn't buy travel insurance). We will not try to convince them to go any further. 

If anyone's crazy paranoid parents want to change one name on their room to my name, I'll gladly take their cruise for them!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Just on the news now, 88 more cases on Diamond Princess. Cruise ships are a major threat. 

This doesn't help. And after listening to a YouTuber, how disasterous the quarantine on Diamond Princess has been, I'm not surprised that the numbers continue to climb.  We are on a cruise out of Australia in April, and I for one am really scared.  This is a "bucket list" trip but I am afraid. I do not want to get sick.  We have a new grand child coming in May, and I do not want to be quarantined or worse. (We are not scheduled to return until May).  We continue to watch the news, and monitor the cruise lines' information.  What else can we do?  (Even though we have the cruise insurance, we will lose a lot of money if we cancel). But I would rather lose money than health or worse. 

Folks need to stop using the Diamond Princess as an example for "all cruise ships ever"!

Y'all also need to realize that cruise ships are NOT medical facilities, and unless soldiers board the ship to enforce martial law, there's no way to ensure compliance with the quarantine for the people on the ship.  

Wash your hands, and continue to live your lives, folks.

• Like 4

I remember back in 2011 we had a cruise to New England starting NYC.  We had a couple of days in advance.  We were to arrive on the 10 year anniversary of 9/11.  My wife was initially freaking out.  There were a lot of cops and barricades around but in the end everything was fine.  We in fact went to "The Book of Mormon" on 9/11 anniversary that afternoon and had a great time.

Based on what’s happening on Diamond Princess, I very much doubt they would keep people on the ship to quarantine them if there is a case found. When Anthem came back in with possible cases on board, they still let everyone off the ship. They only quarantined the suspected sick people.

I understand your mother’s fears but the chances of her actually being forced to stay on the ship for another two weeks are slim to none. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lbjen said:

Based on what’s happening on Diamond Princess, I very much doubt they would keep people on the ship to quarantine them if there is a case found. When Anthem came back in with possible cases on board, they still let everyone off the ship. They only quarantined the suspected sick people.

I understand your mother’s fears but the chances of her actually being forced to stay on the ship for another two weeks are slim to none. 

Yea pretty much, did anyone seen what that Japanese whistleblower doctor said about the Diamond Princess Quarantine? Basically the people in charge don't even know what they're doing and didn't even follow the basic quarantine protocol. The entire thing was ran by bureaucrats, and the Health workers onboard likely have already spread the virus into Tokyo/Yokohama. 

Edited by Jzx1103

2 hours ago, Carl Nival said:

Does anyone else secretly hope that there will be lots of cancellations on your cruise so that the buffet lines aren't so long?  Or is that just me?

No, but I do have some "Royal Up" bids out there. Here's hoping Charles4515 scares the timid out of their Star Class suites.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, CapeGal said:

This doesn't help. And after listening to a YouTuber, how disasterous the quarantine on Diamond Princess has been, I'm not surprised that the numbers continue to climb.  We are on a cruise out of Australia in April, and I for one am really scared.  This is a "bucket list" trip but I am afraid. I do not want to get sick.  We have a new grand child coming in May, and I do not want to be quarantined or worse. (We are not scheduled to return until May).  We continue to watch the news, and monitor the cruise lines' information.  What else can we do?  (Even though we have the cruise insurance, we will lose a lot of money if we cancel). But I would rather lose money than health or worse. 

Sailing out of Australia you will be fine.

99% of the Airlines are not Flying China Routes at the moment.
Most countries are not allowing you in if you have been in China in 14 days prior to arrival.

If you have (In australia) you will be quarentined at a facility (on shore of off shore ) for 14 days.

We are not Concerned about it and won't be cancelling our cruises that we have lined up.