So if you have a cruise cancelled, would you vacation elsewhere this summer?

Hllb

Just now, clo said:

We bought a small motor home last year and plan to do a lot of that.

A cousin of mine and his wife did that about 20 years ago traveling from NJ to California and spent the rest of their lives in Calif.They went to every National Park.

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

If you do go camping this year, we all must definitely take special care with the wildlife until we all get used to each other again.

Some time I'll have to tell you about the black bear that came in our kitchen window cause I had left meat on the counter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recently read a story about a newlywed couple from South Africa who went on vacation to the Maldives and were left alone for almost a month because of the quarantine.. they were alone on one of the Islands, with only the hotel staff with them. Now they were able to return home, but weren't very happy with the fact that they spent such an unplanned and long vacation and spent all the money, although the island on which they rested was really beautiful

13 minutes ago, Ava79 said:

I recently read a story about a newlywed couple from South Africa who went on vacation to the Maldives and were left alone for almost a month because of the quarantine.. they were alone on one of the Islands, with only the hotel staff with them. Now they were able to return home, but weren't very happy with the fact that they spent such an unplanned and long vacation and spent all the money, although the island on which they rested was really beautiful

I read that too - and unfortunately the hotel staff couldn't go home to their own families because they had to stay with that couple.  In the couple's defense, they did make inquiries to their travel agent on whether they should go, given the virus scare (and were told that they should still go) and the South African government hadn't issued any travel restrictions at that time.

They did get a discounted rate once everything was shut down, but had scrimped and saved for a "trip of a lifetime", so I'm guessing that having to pay for all that extra time put a big financial burden on them.

We have a friend whose daughter was stranded in Peru with a group of students doing a required rotation for their college medical program.  They were given hours to evacuate their housing and find their way to the capital.  The U.S. embassy was no help as they had already closed and evacuated their people.  They were eventually able to get on a chartered flight home to the U.S., but it wasn't cheap.

There are so many beautiful places to explore within my own country (U.S.)  I will choose to stay here until I am confident that I won't be stranded in another country (or at sea) if the virus has a resurgence.

1 hour ago, Ava79 said:

This was a while ago in the Philippines:

Adelaide family stranded in Philippines begs for help

I have heard since there was a charter flight from Manilla, I hope they managed to get on it😳

We have deer passing by our front and back yards throughout the year.  So much so that the only flowers in our garden are the ones that are supposedly deer resistant.   Once in a while a bobcat but they do not hang about like the dear and are never in groups of five, six, whatever.  They do not seem to bother with us so post covid for us should be life as usual as it pertains to the wildlife.

In the spring, the red tulips get bitten off first,  Then the yellows and so on.  Not certain what this is.  We do not even bother with the garden any more.  

Edited by iancal

2 hours ago, iancal said:

We have deer passing by our front and back yards throughout the year.  So much so that the only flowers in our garden are the ones that are supposedly deer resistant.   Once in a while a bobcat but they do not hang about like the dear and are never in groups of five, six, whatever.  They do not seem to bother with us so post covid for us should be life as usual as it pertains to the wildlife.

In the spring, the red tulips get bitten off first,  Then the yellows and so on.  Not certain what this is.  We do not even bother with the garden any more.  

I'm the same with the garden.  Between feeding the local fauna, we always seem to get a couple of decent snows that will just just mash them down.  We've got deer all the time - why I put my highbeams on at night going through the neighborhood - otherwise I can't see them crossing the road.   Some of the local coyotes have been coming down a little further than usual.  See them all the time on the golf course above us, but they're coming down the hill.  

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I'm the same with the garden.  Between feeding the local fauna, we always seem to get a couple of decent snows that will just just mash them down.  We've got deer all the time - why I put my highbeams on at night going through the neighborhood - otherwise I can't see them crossing the road.   Some of the local coyotes have been coming down a little further than usual.  See them all the time on the golf course above us, but they're coming down the hill.  

We live in a wildland interface.  People say there are more coyotes for the past few years.   I don't know how true it is but one reason given is folks started feeding feral cats.  More cats means more food for coyotes, so they come into town.  

7 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We live in a wildland interface.  People say there are more coyotes for the past few years.   I don't know how true it is but one reason given is folks started feeding feral cats.  More cats means more food for coyotes, so they come into town.  

Sounds like my neighborhood - at the end of my block is wetland/avian heaven, the block behind me is backed by more wetland and hills.  One thing I don't see here are feral cats.  Not too many pet cats running around, either.  Maybe it's going to be another chance for all of us to co-exist peacefully!

13 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We moved from Tahoe two years ago. Supposedly (and I believe it) the almost constant drought causes the animals to move closer to civilization as their food supply dries up. Certainly true with the black bears.

I think I have come up with my vacation.  Something called to me last night and the hamster wheel in my brain starting spinning out of control with options.  I'm not going to say where because I don't want y'all crowding in with me. 😉  But,  as it firms up with when things are going to open up, I'll let you know!  Yes, it's on land and yes, it's another roadtrip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2020 at 3:09 PM, drsel said:
On 3/25/2020 at 2:02 PM, Kate P.C said:
The thing is I like hot summers, unlike my husband who stays in the shade the entire time. We enjoy the food, the summer vibe in Greece, busy restaurants, bars and beaches...We like the music, the romantic setup of most bars... We enjoy culture trips and Greece has so much to tell. We have taken tours in Rhodes, Corfu, Santorini, Mykonos, Chania, almost all of Halkidiki, Athens, Thessaloniki, Volos...We have so far enjoyed every trip. Hope you will too!

Were these places done by land or Cruise tours

We visited the islands with a cruise, but mainland and Halkidiki peninsula we did on our own.

On 4/20/2020 at 5:24 PM, slidergirl said:

I think I have come up with my vacation.  Something called to me last night and the hamster wheel in my brain starting spinning out of control with options.  I'm not going to say where because I don't want y'all crowding in with me. 😉  But,  as it firms up with when things are going to open up, I'll let you know!  Yes, it's on land and yes, it's another roadtrip.

I'm glad you have a plan. I'm stymied. There is literally nowhere I'm interested in going that I can get to, probably for this entire year. Guess I'll just keep accruing my PTO, lol -- but I can only carry over so much.

At least I got in a trip to Naples before this all started...

Edited to add:  And if anyone suggests a stay-at-home vacation I will cheerfully throttle them. I have been "at home" since Feb 28. That's eight weeks for anyone counting....

Edited by cruisemom42

No staycation suggestion here 😉 

Even if there is nowhere you are interested in going, are there people who you would enjoy visiting at the uninteresting places?  Maybe some one-off type things like a great spa day(s) during your work week, a self made food tour in a certain region (NE trip for seafood, various areas for BBQ)?  Would any of the Native American/First Nations tribes have old enough history to be of interest?

Hope you can find something to be an enjoyable break from work 🙂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm glad you have a plan. I'm stymied. There is literally nowhere I'm interested in going that I can get to, probably for this entire year. Guess I'll just keep accruing my PTO, lol -- but I can only carry over so much.

At least I got in a trip to Naples before this all started...

Edited to add:  And if anyone suggests a stay-at-home vacation I will cheerfully throttle them. I have been "at home" since Feb 28. That's eight weeks for anyone counting....

The thing about now being a seasonal worker and having no job - never have PTO.  If I take vacation, it's totally on my penny now.   My plan is dependent on a lot of things COVID related - if things are open and I feel safe enough.   

I'd go to your HR and suggest that a special carry over or cash out PTO that you would have taken but couldn't due to COVID.  It's worth a try.

You have me beat on the SaH by 1 day - I started March 1.   But, if I put up my tent and set up my camp kitchen on the back patio, I'll let you know 😼   If the rain stays away today, I may put out my camp lounger and get some sun.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kate P.C said:

We visited the islands with a cruise, but mainland and Halkidiki peninsula we did on our own.

Lovely! kindly post your itinerary of Greece, please. I would like to do it myself

7 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Even if there is nowhere you are interested in going, are there people who you would enjoy visiting at the uninteresting places?  Maybe some one-off type things like a great spa day(s) during your work week, a self made food tour in a certain region (NE trip for seafood, various areas for BBQ)?  Would any of the Native American/First Nations tribes have old enough history to be of interest?

The only sort of "down time" vacation that I can even partially enjoy is one where I'm at the beach.  Maybe later in the year (more off season), I'll try to find a quiet beach somewhere in driving distance.

Most things I enjoy are in places where social distancing isn't so easy: museums, restaurants, concerts...

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I'd go to your HR and suggest that a special carry over or cash out PTO that you would have taken but couldn't due to COVID.  It's worth a try.

It's already been asked in various webcasts -- so far the answer has been no, but maybe if this continues to drag on they will re-think it.

• Like 2

An interesting topic.  We had an Asian cruise cancelled (already booked another for next year) and will likely avoid Asia until next April.  We also cancelled a TA cruise (from NYC to Southampton) which also involved us spending a few weeks in Paris and Prague after the cruise.  We are now considering just flying to Paris in late August and then on to Prague and perhaps renting apartments in both cities.   As much as we love to cruise, the COVID-19 situation and the cruise line's reaction to this issue has left us wondering if we even want to cruise in the future.  We still have 3 booked cruises in the next year but we could cancel them all with no financial lose.   At the current time we have very little faith in the cruise industry and their ability to deliver a good cruise in the next year.  At times it almost seems like the industry is hell bent on its own destruction and has become its own worst enemy.

Hank

I  now have three 7-9 week itineraries planned out for the next 18 months.  Plus some plan B's for a few of them.   Nothing booked.   Nothing will be booked until 30 days or less  prior to departure.  That part will not be a significant change from how/when we have booked and travelling over the past nine years.  No cruises planned, I will not even be on the watch for any suitable last minute bookings during any of these land trips.  All involve flights to either Europe or Asia.  Not certain when or if we will consider another cruise.  

So, if we cannot go or decide not to go it will not be the end of the world for us. .  Probably automobile trips in our own geography.   Or, depending on the situation this fall or this winter, a 5 hour flight to the Mexican Pacific coast where we will veg for a while (vs 10 hrs to Europe or 23 to Asia).

This is not a huge issue for us.  We cannot change the givens so we will adjust to the circumstances.  We see little point in moaning about not being able to cruise or to do this or that.  We are just thankful for our health and if at the end of the day it means a back yard vacation then so be it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, iancal said:

This is not a huge issue for us.  We cannot change the givens so we will adjust to the circumstances.  We see little point in moaning about not being able to cruise or to do this or that.  We are just thankful for our health and if at the end of the day it means a back yard vacation then so be it.

A common sense approach:  refreshing when compared with some of these “determined to cruise ASAP” people —- talking about keeping masks on, and believing effective social distancing is even conceivable on a ship trying to operate profitably