So if you have a cruise cancelled, would you vacation elsewhere this summer?

Hllb

23 minutes ago, iancal said:

This is not a huge issue for us.  We cannot change the givens so we will adjust to the circumstances.  We see little point in moaning about not being able to cruise or to do this or that.  We are just thankful for our health and if at the end of the day it means a back yard vacation then so be it.

I agree with you on this.  DW and I are already talking about where to go this summer that isn't cruise related.  We're thinking Montana and some other places in the north and west area of this great country.  There's so much to see so why not do it now?

6 hours ago, iancal said:

I  now have three 7-9 week itineraries planned out for the next 18 months.  Plus some plan B's for a few of them.   

I am like that too. I have my original plan, but I have an amended if there are rolling lock down plans. On top of that is the borders aren't opened plan and the domestic only plan and if state borders are not opened the local plan😂. I am really determined to try to have a trip that is not a staycation next year. 

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I am like that too. I have my original plan, but I have an amended if there are rolling lock down plans. On top of that is the borders aren't opened plan and the domestic only plan and if state borders are not opened the local plan😂. I am really determined to try to have a trip that is not a staycation next year. 

I think you make a great point. And then we talk about our own feelings of personal safety. But we do have a little motor home and with that we can limit our exposure to people.

72364343_2489785804431230_8765715255394304000_o.jpg

On 4/25/2020 at 12:05 PM, iancal said:

I  now have three 7-9 week itineraries planned out for the next 18 months.  Plus some plan B's for a few of them.   Nothing booked.   Nothing will be booked until 30 days or less  prior to departure.  That part will not be a significant change from how/when we have booked and travelling over the past nine years.  No cruises planned, I will not even be on the watch for any suitable last minute bookings during any of these land trips.  All involve flights to either Europe or Asia.  Not certain when or if we will consider another cruise.  

So, if we cannot go or decide not to go it will not be the end of the world for us. .  Probably automobile trips in our own geography.   Or, depending on the situation this fall or this winter, a 5 hour flight to the Mexican Pacific coast where we will veg for a while (vs 10 hrs to Europe or 23 to Asia).

This is not a huge issue for us.  We cannot change the givens so we will adjust to the circumstances.  We see little point in moaning about not being able to cruise or to do this or that.  We are just thankful for our health and if at the end of the day it means a back yard vacation then so be it.

If your travels to Europe still stay on, may I suggest doing the train (if safe COVID-wise) between Dresden and Prague.  The restoration of some of the churches and palaces and opera house in Dresden in the past 2 decades (after being needlessly bombed in WW2 and years of neglect by the East Germans) right along the Elba River is stunning.  The train ride goes through some very scenic countryside between the two cities.  

Otherwise, you've got some great places up there in Canada to visit!  

Anyone planning some road trips to parks in the Western US - check the details of openings.  We've got some here in Utah where the opening is only for residents of the county.  Down in the south of UT, they are checking IDs and turning people around.  There is only 1 rural hospital and they just don't have the ability to care for anyone.  

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 12:08 PM, iancal said:

We have deer passing by our front and back yards throughout the year.  So much so that the only flowers in our garden are the ones that are supposedly deer resistant.   Once in a while a bobcat but they do not hang about like the dear and are never in groups of five, six, whatever.  They do not seem to bother with us so post covid for us should be life as usual as it pertains to the wildlife.

In the spring, the red tulips get bitten off first,  Then the yellows and so on.  Not certain what this is.  We do not even bother with the garden any more.  

The deer treat our yard like their personal salad bar. We've only lived here for a couple of years, so we are still getting used to the change in wildlife from Florida, where we lived previously. We back up to hills and nature preserve, so we have deer (we've even had a pure white deer visiting lately!), black bear, wild turkey, and fox. 

Hoping to be able to cruise in January, but until then we may take a couple of weeks to explore the Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains.

7 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

we are still getting used to the change in wildlife from Florida, where we lived previously. We back up to hills and nature preserve, so we have deer (we've even had a pure white deer visiting lately!), black bear, wild turkey, and fox. 

Living in an area where one gets to have visits from such wildlife is fun to watch.  I get to see lots of birds and squirrels, even an albino one rarely.  My Alaskan Nephew lives in a rural area North of Anchorage and sees much as well (most of which his dog does not approve of their visits to "his" territory.)  The most interesting has been a family of moose who seem to like to take residence between their house and where their cars are parked from time to time.  When that happens, they are "sheltering in place" before "sheltering in place" was ever thought of in the lower 48 States.  

• Like 1

Our plan A is an extended independent land trip to Morocco, Portugal,  and parts of  Spain in the fall.

Plan B is a few weeks in Zihuantenejo, Mexico or perhaps in  Cuba by the ocean in November/early December. 

Plan C is a Sept driving trip in our area-mountains through to the west coast.  We could well be doing both a plan C and a plan B depending on the situation.

• Like 1

We probably will just stay home.  We don't want to fly on a plane, we don't want to stay at a hotel, we don't want to  eat at a restaurant and we're not about to do "take-out" while on vacation.  We'll just enjoy our back yard and pool this summer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marco said:

we're not about to do "take-out" while on vacation. 

My thinking as well.  Why spend $$ to travel and then have to eat take-out?  I can do that at home.

I have wondered what the hotels, i.e. Marriott, IHG, etc., are doing about meals for their guests.  Assuming they have some, of course.  

28 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have wondered what the hotels, i.e. Marriott, IHG, etc., are doing about meals for their guests.  Assuming they have some, of course.  

I didn't know they were open.

Since we love to cook, we get airbnb-esque so that wouldn't be a deal breaker for us.

6 hours ago, marco said:

and we're not about to do "take-out" while on vacation.  We'll just enjoy our back yard and pool this summer.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

My thinking as well.  Why spend $$ to travel and then have to eat take-out?  I can do that at home.

I could see it if I were in a place with a lovely terrace on the beach. Might be very pleasant to bring home some stone crab and sauvignon blanc and have a feast on the terrace.....  Or some conch chowder and bimini bread and beer on the beach.

(Trying to get in the mood for a Florida vacation possibly later in the year....)

• Like 2

On 4/20/2020 at 2:18 PM, slidergirl said:

Sounds like my neighborhood - at the end of my block is wetland/avian heaven, the block behind me is backed by more wetland and hills.  One thing I don't see here are feral cats.  Not too many pet cats running around, either.  Maybe it's going to be another chance for all of us to co-exist peacefully!

Now we are in rattlesnake season around our little town.  The wild turkeys that march around the neighborhoods are pretty good with snakes in my experience, but still they are on the trails and in people's yards so it is time to be careful.  We do have lots of outside cats running around.  I love my neighbor's cat.  She (the cat, not my neighbor) does a pretty good job of keeping the squirrels away from my fruit trees. 

And, talk about wild animal hazards, yesterday I was dive bombed by a hummingbird.  I walked under where its nest was and the little thing went into attack mode.  Like a flying weiner dog.   Haha.  

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

And, talk about wild animal hazards, yesterday I was dive bombed by a hummingbird.  I walked under where its nest was and the little thing went into attack mode.  Like a flying weiner dog.   Haha.  

HAHAHA indeed.

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

We used to do a lot of camping vacations and would sometimes get take-out either if it was raining or we were just too exhausted to build a fire for cooking.  Even last year for our Niagara Falls trip we did take out twice: once for pizza since it was late when we got to the cabin and once for subs (great local place).  

Restaurants certainly have their place, but some days after exploring the area we just want something simple.  I'll cook a lot of the meals for both health and budget, but local takeout has its benefit too.

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

I love my neighbor's cat.  She (the cat, not my neighbor) does a pretty good job of keeping the squirrels away from my fruit trees. 

A bit OT but I have been getting a lot of entertainment value watching our neighbor's cat stalk and catch chipmunks in our yard. (So far squirrels seem too elusive for him.) At first I felt bad for the chipmunks -- the cat clearly never heard that you shouldn't play with your food -- but then my son pointed out that I had to pay around $10k a couple of years ago to have my basement "critter proofed" due to their tunneling activities and their desire to live in my warm basement in winter. So now I look at it as 'preventive maintenance'....

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I could see it if I were in a place with a lovely terrace on the beach. Might be very pleasant to bring home some stone crab and sauvignon blanc and have a feast on the terrace.....  Or some conch chowder and bimini bread and beer on the beach.

(Trying to get in the mood for a Florida vacation possibly later in the year....)

When AirBnBs can open again, I can point you to a lovely rustic beach cottage that is perfect for one...  

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Any reputable hotel is closed right now, if not by order of the respective government.  That's why I'm out of job right now.  I believe there are some in hotspot areas that are housing medical staff.   

Right now, if I travel, it's going to be camping.  And, if I don't feel the urge to get the fire started or open the stove to make a meal, I have been known to grab some take-out at the nearest store/restaurant.  That won't change now.

If, big if, I were in NYC right now and I was staying at a hotel IF IT WERE ALLOWED, and Le Bernadin was offering take-out, you can be sure I'd do that in a heartbeat!!!  

On travel - knowing housekeeping like I do from my time in hospitality, I wouldn't be jumping back into staying at a hotel, even a 5 star place, for months and months.  HK complaints were plentiful at all the hotels I've worked at.  I know how long staff was given to clean a room - corners were aways cut on cleaning and inspections were not as thorough if guests were arriving and there was no place to move them to (yes, even at Forbes-rated properties).  To train staff to properly disinfect each room with each cleaning, provide staff with the tools to do the cleaning, and the extra time to do the proper cleaning - well, it's going to be exorbitant.   And, HK staff turnover is pretty big - some get into it and try, but the backbreaking work for minimum pay just wasn't doing it for many.  

21 hours ago, marco said:

We probably will just stay home.  We don't want to fly on a plane, we don't want to stay at a hotel, we don't want to  eat at a restaurant and we're not about to do "take-out" while on vacation.  We'll just enjoy our back yard and pool this summer.

Depending on where you are in New York, you have some fantastic places to visit.  If you don't want to camp, rent an RV.  Look at this as a time where we can all explore what is around us.  So many of us go elsewhere rather than exploring local.  Help your fellow NYers get on their feet again and help define the "new normal."

22 hours ago, marco said:

We may do exactly the same thing .We also have a daughter living in what is referred to as Upstate NY.In the county she lives in there have only been 6 documented cases of the virus.We might go there for a few weeks.

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

So many of us go elsewhere rather than exploring local.  

There's a camping and rv park on Lake Tahoe that is reopening May 1. We're taking the motor home and going there for just two nights. We'll continue all the things we've been doing to keep everyone safe; we'll just have something different and beautiful look at. And walk the shore of the lake - keeping social distancing and wearing masks. I don't see us getting on an airplane this year.

Rent an RV and Escape to Zephyr Cove Resort ⎜ Advantage Caravans

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We may do exactly the same thing .We also have a daughter living in what is referred to as Upstate NY.In the county she lives in there have only been 6 documented cases of the virus.We might go there for a few weeks.

And keep social distancing and wear a mask inside and out since you don't usually live with her. But sounds like an easy sacrifice to make.

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Any reputable hotel is closed right now, if not by order of the respective government.  That's why I'm out of job right now.

I feel like a child in elementary school whose knuckles have just been smacked by my teacher.  Reading your post, I just tried to make two dummy reservations for May 1st with no success.  Surely, I did realize the drop-off in travel, but with the few who are still traveling, where are they staying when they get to their destination?  My assumption that some hotels were still accepting guests is wrong. 

I appreciate your post.  What I have learned this afternoon provides another dimension to my understanding of the impact of this virus.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

My assumption that some hotels were still accepting guests is wrong. 

In Australia because accommodations have shut down back packers who decided to stay have found themselves homeless and those who are in rural areas are camping in the bush🙄