Will Allure be AMPED?

The Oasis class ships are overpowered by design. They could do fine on two pods, but having three gives them much more ability to maneuver in strong winds and currents without tug assistance, and power to make up time when needed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pratique said:

The Oasis class ships are overpowered by design. They could do fine on two pods, but having three gives them much more ability to maneuver in strong winds and currents without tug assistance, and power to make up time when needed.

If they do fine on two pods then why were the Caribbean itineraries altered?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

If they do fine on two pods then why were the Caribbean itineraries altered?

When they were dragging the third pod, they had to reduce speed to limit further damage to it. I don't think removing the blades was part of the original plan. In the fall they reevaluated and decided that even at reduced speed there was more damage occurring, so they removed the blades, which also removed the speed restriction but by then all of the itineraries were already changed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

When I was a kid living on Nantucket the Steamship Authority ran true steamships from the island to America. Those boats had zero vibration. If you weren't looking you couldn't even feel that they had departed the dock.  A billion dollar cruise ship isn't vibration free. Steam is awesome.

Before RCI mangled the Radiance class with diesel generators, they were vibration free as well with their gas turbines.  Never knew you were moving unless the seas were rough.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Just saw this:  Allure Of The Seas current location is at North East Atlantic Ocean (coordinates 36.53383 N / -6.29116 W) cruising en route to CADIZ. The AIS position was reported 3 minutes ago

I wonder if she passed her trials?

Have you checked your Norwegian flight to BCN? They just cancelled our flight this morning. 

I've been looking to see if anyone else ran into the same scenario as we did with the loss of the Allure "amping" or more formal drydock.  I hadn't seen other people report the same email correspondence we received.

For us, we had connecting junior suites.  We received an email saying that due to this drydock change that our rooms would no longer work for capacity.  It was a bizarre thing to me because we had 3 people in each room and it didn't make sense to me.

Wonder if anyone else ended up going through the same scenario.  We were very fortunate; after they figured out what to do with us, we were upgraded to 2 grand suites.  This is for an April 2021 sailing.  Super excited as I couldn't justify the extra cost at the time I booked and no longer have to.  Fingers crossed we can get past all of this.

15 hours ago, skagen said:

Wonder if anyone else ended up going through the same scenario.  We were very fortunate; after they figured out what to do with us, we were upgraded to 2 grand suites.  This is for an April 2021 sailing.  Super excited as I couldn't justify the extra cost at the time I booked and no longer have to.  Fingers crossed we can get past all of this.

This continues to point to the lack of information on what is happening with Allure.  I can imagine this is small potatoes to RCI but for those of us looking forward to booked cruises it matters quite a bit.  Silence is less than golden.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cancelled my Allure 20th Sept cruise yesterday. Even if the cruise goes ahead I'm not comfortable cruising at moment and didn't want to throw good money after bad. So I'll take the FCC for the deposit and hope to use it next year. No more cruises booked now thank goodness.  If she does have a short European season I'll watch with interest how it goes 

Edited by sgmn

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

Cancelled my Allure 20th Sept cruise yesterday. Even if the cruise goes ahead I'm not comfortable cruising at moment and didn't want to throw good money after bad. So I'll take the FCC for the deposit and hope to use it next year. No more cruises booked now thank goodness.  If she does have a short European season I'll watch with interest how it goes 

What was final payment date for that cruise?

54 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

My travel agents final payment was 10july so probably RC date would be in a week or so, UK rules 

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

If it helps, I was booked on the Allure's 27th September sailing, final payment date under US rules was 29th of June.

• Thanks 1

Interestingly looking at Cruise Ship Tracker tonight Allure is nowhere to be seen in either the English Channel or the Southern Irish Sea! She was there last night - any ideas anybody? Anthem is in the Bay of Biscay heading north and both Majesty and Empress are still off the south coast...............

10 minutes ago, Cosmic Rays said:

Interestingly looking at Cruise Ship Tracker tonight Allure is nowhere to be seen in either the English Channel or the Southern Irish Sea! She was there last night - any ideas anybody? Anthem is in the Bay of Biscay heading north and both Majesty and Empress are still off the south coast...............

She is west of Cornwall at the moment, her Empress and Majesty all appear to be sticking around Southampton. Anthem is heading to Brest for dry dock then presumably she will either join Allure, Empress & Majesty or join Explorer & Jewel down by Gibraltar 

Edited by Jack McGowan