Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Many are anti cruise ships and as such will try and sink their boots in and then proceed to the local shops or community protest group and mix with many people there, putting themselves under just as much risk of catching COVID-19

On 3/16/2020 at 5:40 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Just for a bit of fun post a prediction for when you think cruising will recommence in various regions. One point for each correct prediction, I'll keep a spreadsheet.

1. Australia/NZ/South Pacific

2. Asia out of Singapore

3. Japan

4. China 

5. Alaska

6. Caribbean

7. Mediterranean

8. Baltic

If you think of any I've missed let me know.

Hmmm! I'll have to think about this. 😄

How's the spreadsheet coming along?

19 hours ago, NSWP said:

I don't believe any virus numbers coming out of a communist country like China.  Full of propaganda.

Has there been any release of numbers in/from North Korea or Russia? 

On the other hand, IMO,  the numbers coming out of the US are just as sus.

What a mess all this is here and globally. Would love to escape anyway.

On a basic level we could not buy our usual supply of cereal let alone toilet paper, none to be seen. We are reassured there are no supply issues but empty shelves suggest otherwise.

Staff said a delivery occurred last night and people swarmed the truck and took it all. 

Someone rang radio to say she could not get her usual on line order for her disabled son. Woollies said they could not refund her $300 for 5 days.

She said she was forced to go at 4pm after being informed and seek bread/milk, but could not get any, and they have both run out.

She has a medical condition and her doctor advised her not to go out.

Assistance is being sought to help and query the delay for a refund.

Many are probably in same or worse condition.   

12 minutes ago, pully8 said:

On a basic level we could not buy our usual supply of cereal let alone toilet paper, none to be seen. We are reassured there are no supply issues but empty shelves suggest otherwise.

Staff said a delivery occurred last night and people swarmed the truck and took it all. 

Someone rang radio to say she could not get her usual on line order for her disabled son. Woollies said they could not refund her $300 for 5 days.

She said she was forced to go at 4pm after being informed and seek bread/milk, but could not get any, and they have both run out.

I agreed.... have been trying to shop normally...... but over the last couple of weeks it has got bad really..... now it is meat  along with everything else..... also the price is high.... extra driving shop at four supermarkets  to get dinners for two days......

could do with a cruise even to go where..... with food and toilet paper  LOL

The problem is no home cooked meals......  Take away.... or cheese and biscuits...

How much longer before one can at least shop normally again

Well one still has wine and supply of gin and tonic

cheers DON

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, pully8 said:

People’s emotions are worse than the actual plague. The look of some people’s faces.

Apparently life line has a busy time with all this.

It will certainly be a year to remember 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about that.

So many will/are being impacted in so many ways.

Globally and so many differing theories about how to handle this.

Given we are an island nation it is regrettable more could not have been done to protect the population in the early stages. Health should have been paramount not trade/commerce. Too late now. 

But that is a discussion for after this is resolved, no doubt many papers will be written, and lessons will be learnt.

Likewise with the pandemic planning.

Take care all.   

56 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I agreed.... have been trying to shop normally...... but over the last couple of weeks it has got bad really..... now it is meat  along with everything else..... also the price is high.... extra driving shop at four supermarkets  to get dinners for two days......

could do with a cruise even to go where..... with food and toilet paper  LOL

The problem is no home cooked meals......  Take away.... or cheese and biscuits...

How much longer before one can at least shop normally again

Well one still has wine and supply of gin and tonic

cheers DON

Yep, I decided I would be living on coffee, scotch whiskey and asparagus, that's what I walked out of Aldi with.....no meat, no frozen veges, minimal fresh ones, tinned stuff, rice, pasta all gone.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2020 at 2:45 PM, cheznandy said:

Yep, I decided I would be living on coffee, scotch whiskey and asparagus, that's what I walked out of Aldi with.....no meat, no frozen veges, minimal fresh ones, tinned stuff, rice, pasta all gone.

Hi Chez, I have just done an Aldi shop down here.  Not too busy, even though I am a dinosaur I refuse to line up at 0700.   Anyway, plenty of meat and veggies and frozen staff here, a few shortages of rice, but got some and GF pasta and GF bread for me.    Noticeable absentees were long life milk and TP.  Probably like you up there, we have dozens of caravanners come through here daily, they are notorious for cleaning out the long life milk and now apparently the TP.   Will be more shortages in the coming weeks for us on the coast, Easter, more people, more food needed, more TP needed.  All the best to you and Andy up there.

Edited by NSWP

23 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree. My guess is that cruising will start in six months' time and gradually get back to normal, however, some companies might have gone out of business by then, ☹️ although I hope not.

The problem I see in a six month prediction is, according to the experts, a vaccine is 12-18 months away. If cruise lines were to restart before then will they be requiring medical clearance and in what form?

I like to think that I am, mostly, an optimist but I see nothing to be optimistic about before the end of the year. I really hope I'm wrong but time will tell.

19 hours ago, NSWP said:

Hi Chez, I have just done an Aldi shop down here.  Not too busy, even though I am a dinosaur I refuse to line up at 0700.   Anyway, plenty of meat and veggies and frozen staff here, a few shortages of rice, but got some and GF pasta and GF bread for me.    Noticeable absentees were long life milk and TP.  Probably like you up there, we have dozens of caravanners come through here daily, they are notorious for cleaning out the long life milk and now apparently the TP.   Will be more shortages in the coming weeks for us on the coast, Easter, more people, more food needed, more TP needed.  All the best to you and Andy up there.

Thanks Les, and you too😘

My son called this morning and got toilet paper at our local Coles, yay!! The other son who lives in Brisbane and used to work for Coles has been told they are after 5000 more staff so he applied online for nightfill etc and our daughter in Sydney with three little ones hasn't been able to get toilet paper for a while, but a relative came to the rescue and gave her a few rolls.

It's funny the things we talk about on the phone now haha!!

Les, we might be those caravanners passing through soon, we just bought another van yesterday, I will make sure I stock up here before I pass your Aldi!

We can't wait to hit the open road again when all this passes, will be  cruising in a our van for a while😀

• Like 2

On 3/15/2020 at 11:40 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Just for a bit of fun post a prediction for when you think cruising will recommence in various regions. One point for each correct prediction, I'll keep a spreadsheet.

1. Australia/NZ/South Pacific

2. Asia out of Singapore

3. Japan

4. China 

5. Alaska

6. Caribbean

7. Mediterranean

8. Baltic

If you think of any I've missed let me know.

Hmmm! I'll have to think about this. 😄

I'll give this a shot

1. Australia/NZ/South Pacific  Nov 2020

2. Asia out of Singapore Dec  2020

3. Japan  Nov 2020 

4. China May 2021

5. Alaska Jul 2020

6. Caribbean Sep 2020

7. Mediterranean Mar 2021

8. Baltic Mar 2021

With the window closing fast for the Baltic I suspect that route is done until next season.

The Med has been hard hit so I don't think there would be many takers even if they did start operating.

Canadian ports are closed until at least July 1st but I think they will open after that; no Canadian ports no Alaska cruises.

I think that after the shotened Alaska season those ships repositioning through Japan will do just that. The Caribbean may open in the summer but that will depend on the ports.

China will take a long time, even if they wanted to start operating again how many people would book those cruises? Even with ridiculously low fares it will take some time for the stigma of this modern plague to pass.

22 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

I have serious doubts that our princess Cruise to NZ in November will happen, I feel that the mess will be quite some distance from being cleared up.

We are also booked on a Princess cruise to NZ in November, the Sea Princess from Brisbane on the 23rd. We also feel the cruise could be in doubt but it is too early to tell.

On 3/21/2020 at 11:57 AM, lyndarra said:

The problem I see in a six month prediction is, according to the experts, a vaccine is 12-18 months away. If cruise lines were to restart before then will they be requiring medical clearance and in what form?

From the cruise lines perspective, will one be better off:

Having contracted and recovered from Covid-19 

OR

Being immunised against Covid-19 

OR

Being totally healthy but with no immunity to Covid-19?

My predictions:

1. Australia/NZ/South Pacific  Dec 2020

2. Asia out of Singapore Oct  2020

3. Japan  Aug 2020 

4. China Oct 2020

5. Alaska Apr 2021

6. Caribbean Sep 2020

7. Mediterranean Mar 2021

8. Baltic Mar 2021

Tough calls in there, but I reckon I need to reserve the right to chage the Japan prediction if the Olympics get canned. 

I have a critical point coming up from my September Ovation TP.  On one hand, I have money ready to pay off, on the other my cancel before final payment is fast approaching too.  If RCCL don't make some further cruise with confidence announcements shortly, I cannot justify leaving my money with them.

49 minutes ago, banzaii said:

From the cruise lines perspective, will one be better off:

Having contracted and recovered from Covid-19 

OR

Being immunised against Covid-19 

OR

Being totally healthy but with no immunity to Covid-19?

I am sure if any one of those options wold be better than the other for he cruise lines, I certainly wouldn't be the third one. 

Maybe a 4th option of being totally healthy and immune to it as well.

When and if cruising resumes , the cruise lines will have to impose very strict conditions in order to protect themselves from any law suits . One such will probably be compulsory and comprehensive insurance for all passengers . The Insurance Co s themselves will be tough  and impose even stricter terms .

Does not look good .