Letter from Mike B

30 minutes ago, palmettostatecruiser said:

And I did not think at all that the 'you' he was referring to was me specifically...he is talking about you in the familiar as he outlines the various things they've heard from people  that they enjoy about RC

My letter was addressed to me personally by name, I took it personally.

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

My letter was addressed to me personally by name, I took it personally.

My letter was addressed to Alexander...We do not have an Alexander here so I did not take it personally!

Get a grip people. It's a generic email, something many brands are sending. Of course it can be generic and have your name on it. I occasionally receive catalogues in the post, they have my name on them but the contents aren't specific to me. Oasis is mentioned as an example of something they offer. I've never sailed on Oasis class, but it was obvious what the reference was about. I'd have to be actively looking for reasons to take offense to take issue with it.

Everyone, be they an individual or a multi-billion dollar company, has been hit hard by this. Royal are of course trying to protect their profits, and regardless of their intent remaining afloat (pun intended) ensures that their employees are kept in work and paid. It ensures a huge industry which countless others on top of their direct employees rely on continues.

If you've paid for a cruise which isn't yet cancelled, you're entitled to a refund within the scope of your contract. If they cancel it, you're entitled to a refund full stop. We all know this. Additional expenses incurred are, like it or not, our own responsibility. That's why we take our travel insurance.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my cruise isn't cancelled, I've been saving, planning, and looking forward to it for several years as my income doesn't stretch to doing this often. I've not had a holiday since 2017, and if this is cancelled I'll not have another chance this year as my partner and I work in industries that don't permit much time off. But I'm a realist. Royal are currently hoping to start sailing again, so they won't cancel any more until they know they can't. When they know they can't, they'll cancel. If they can, they'll restart. 

If you're flying and your government won't let you, that's between you, your government, and your insurers, not Royal. It's not something anyone is happy about, but it's true. 

If missing your holiday is your biggest worry right now, count yourself lucky. If the £4000 I've scrimped and saved for for the last 3 years is lost, I'll be gutted but I'll be alive and healthy. I can afford to spend it on a holiday which I desperately need, so if it's sacrificed I won't lose my home (not that it'll come to that, since a cancelled cruise is refunded).

A small minority on here are getting increasingly petty. People are dying. Get over yourselves.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Smiles1984 said:

A small minority on here are getting increasingly petty.

My take is that we're aiming to lighten the mood a bit in those difficult and trying times for all of us.

Since last week, I didn't leave my home. No kids, no grandkids go near us, since we're 70 years old...

So I'm spending more time on these boards and it helps a lot.

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Dear Mike,

Since you appreciate us so much, remember that beautiful diamond lounge on Oasis with its great views that is now a windowless room several deck below where it was? Lets talk about that.....

Yes, I received the letter earlier this evening.

Oh he has already heard about that on the Presidents cruise and trust me he had his answer for the entire audience at the Q&A.  The old space is needed for Revenue and enjoy having a lounge.  That sums it up.  

3 minutes ago, snowbird1 said:

Oh he has already heard about that on the Presidents cruise and trust me he had his answer for the entire audience at the Q&A.  The old space is needed for Revenue and enjoy having a lounge.  That sums it up.  

Maybe he is feeling a little less smug today.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LorraineP said:

Not really. I’m diamond plus & haven’t received. 

Nothing for us either.  Not one e-mail yet regarding Covid-19 or the 70+ restriction.  But then, we have only been on 92 RCCL cruises!!

• Haha 1

Suppose this letter was sent to Mr. Bayley:

"Dear Mr. Bayley,

We just turned Pinnacle.  We are both over 70 years of age.  Our doctor refuses to sign the Royal Caribbean medical form. We have 8 cruises booked this year and 9 next year.  Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Loyal to Royal"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I got the email with my name on it and referencing Oasis class too.

I am going on (I hope) an Oasis class ship Symphony due to sail April 25th. 

So until I read this thread, I thought they pulled up C/A member number  by sailing date  and customized the email.  guess not

Still I thought it was a nice touch.

Too all of us who love sailing, have some kindness and worry towards RCI.   Yes they are a business, but they must also feel bad for all the customers holding reservations.

No CEO of any company right now can believe what is happening world wide and are trying to react and do the best they can.   I wish them luck as well as the 3 other cruise lines I am booked on this year, one is part of the mouse, one has had the MOST viruses and had a TV show too, and the other a good DAM ship as well.

best of luck to all and BE NICE AND STAY SAFE.

I see Ovation is heading into Sydney later today for it's turn for supplies and fuel.

Check out PTZ and see all the ships floating around in Caribbean near Stirrup Cay.   It is a riot and  another cluster about 100 miles away.

• Like 2