P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 hours ago, DamianG said:

Who would you prefer between Barnsley and Sheffield Wednesday? That was some comeback by Wednesday in the play-offs!

I will be quite happy with either of them, both seem to fill their away allocation, and we have similar recent  records against them both.

• Like 1

I was just thinking about how we change our exercise as we age.  I wasn't too keen on sports at school, I took up running when I was in my twenties and some of the men at work persuaded some of us ladies to train with them to run in a half marathon.  I enjoyed running and continued to run into my fifties until my knees decided that enough was enough, then I took up crown green bowling which is a pleasant game that is not to strenuous but is an  incentive to get out and get some light exercise during the summer other than leisurely walking.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

🏑 Ouch!

I am left handed and there are no left handed hockey sticks, but I couldn’t get the hang of using a right handed stick and kept catching my class mates on the shins, I eventually was banned and went back to football. I still like field hockey.occasionally wander up the road to watch local team and went to some games at the Commonwealth Games In Birmingham 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

Bingo can get a bit feisty as well.🤣

Now that's almost a sport with the competitiveness they have ,more than rugby in some cases!

The game can turn into a swearing contest in the jackpot games. All it takes is for one person 

to shout "HOUSE/BINGO" and the air turns blue.

They can get very possessive about their bingo boards .I remember watching a guy and he kept looking at his Mrs bingo board and when she spotted him doing it , she went mad with him ..

"Look at your own bingo card ,not mine " she snarled !! 

He said "But I've done mine and its all full up"

Then there is the danger of not winning at all . My aunty Maggie kept losing so turned the dabber on her and covered herself with it .. Sent her dotty in the end 🤣

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I hated hockey at school, far too rough for me I used to pray for really bad weather so that we would have to go into the gym instead.  My main memory of hockey was during a PE lesson when one girl was accidentally hit in the face and had to be taken to the accident unit at the hospital for stitches. I much preferred summer when we switched from hockey to tennis.

My wife’s absolutely with you on that one. Mind you, she never actually played much after developing a technique for hiding in the toilets, hanging on the back of a door so that no legs were visible when the games mistress checked for absentees.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I said a few days ago that I’d let @Adawn47 know my impressions of Warner’s Bembridge ( and anyone else who is interested).

We arrived last Monday, so our week is nearly over. A standard Warner break is either a 4 night Monday to Friday, or a 3 night Friday to Monday weekend.  We noticed a difference between the two types of break. The midweek break was a lot quieter with mainly older retirees. The weekend is more lively with a younger crowd (well, relatively younger, ages mostly about 40s to 60s).

Our room has been nice and comfortable and spacious compared to the average cruise ship cabin. The furniture is quite dated - I noticed that in another area of the hotel they are refurbishing rooms, so I hope this is something that they will do throughout the hotel, it would be a definite enhancement. The shower is more of a dribble, which has been disappointing.

We’ve  enjoyed the food. The dining room operates on a sort of hybrid buffet/waiter service. There is a themed buffet (Tex-Mex, Asian, Italian or Indian) a carvery, a salad bar and a couple of specials which are brought to the table. Starters and desserts are also waiter service.  You prebook your dining times for both breakfast and dinner before the holiday. This regulates the flow of people into the restaurant, so that the buffet is never crowded. As the norm is short breaks, menus are now repeating themselves. We knew this would be an issue as we are doing a longer holiday, but there is enough choice to have something different 2nd time around.

The bar/lounge area is very spacious with lots of seating and there’s a very pleasant outside seating area. There is table service, or you can go up to the bar. All waiters and bar staff are very nice, and service has been good.

There is a singer in the bar in the evening, or there is the main show lounge. We’ve had two production shows from the resident entertainment staff, which were excellent and we both enjoyed these shows. The visiting acts have been a little disappointing, and not quite to my personal taste. I normally can sit a show out to the end, but on Friday we left after a few songs, and we weren’t the only ones. But this is the nature of entertainment, can’t win them all.  Having said that, we have a Showaddywaddy tribute act this evening and I have high hopes for them, as that really is my era! 

We’ve had a lovely week, aided by the beautiful weather, and it’s a thumbs up from me!

We are not done with Warners yet , as we are on a Warners road trip. Tomorrow we go to Cricket St Thomas in Somerset for a few days. We had originally booked to go to Cricket in 2021 but we cancelled due to ‘reasons’, so we thought it’d be nice to tag on another break.

PS.  For anyone coming to the IofW this summer, be warned that there lots of road works as fibre optic cables are being laid. Be prepared for road closures and diversions 

Thank you Dermotsgirl. Having never tried a Warner's Hotel that was very helpful. Enjoy the remainder of your holiday on the IoW and the tag-on in Somerset. The weather is set fine for you there as well.

Avril

• Like 3

On 5/20/2023 at 9:15 AM, brian1 said:

Perfect Phil,you get to do a Japan cruise 1st.We were in Nagasaki on Diamond Princess.She was built there so all the bands etc were out to meet and see us off,Brian.

We also did that cruise on Diamond Princess and remember the fantastic send offs from the locals at the ports.  The Peace Park was very moving and I seem to recall we also visited the gardens where Madame Butterfly was staged.  

• Like 2

Well I am good to go as the eurvision man says.In hospital tomorrow 7am for removal of my prostate stage 2 cancer seem to be clear everywhere else  .Next job will be to sort out travel insurance if they will still insure me on my return home due to pay 10th June for September cruise 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, binman2 said:

Well I am good to go as the eurvision man says.In hospital tomorrow 7am for removal of my prostate stage 2 cancer seem to be clear everywhere else  .Next job will be to sort out travel insurance if they will still insure me on my return home due to pay 10th June for September cruise 

Best wishes and speedy recovery .

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, binman2 said:

Good luck for tomorrow binman2. Hope all goes well and great news that you seem to be clear everywhere else. Best wishes for a speedy and pain-free recovery. Jane xx

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, binman2 said:

Sending you our prayers 🙏 for a successful operation and excellent recovery.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, binman2 said:

Best wishes for tomorrow and for your recovery. 

• Like 2

On 5/20/2023 at 7:15 AM, brian1 said:

Perfect Phil,you get to do a Japan cruise 1st.We were in Nagasaki on Diamond Princess.She was built there so all the bands etc were out to meet and see us off,Brian.

We were in Miyazaki yesterday which was a maiden port, there are no port facilities but the welcome was great with food stalls and a band. Japan is truly amazing, albeit we are a bit Shrined up. I am getting the language too, one lady said owtauyu, sorry, owtau owtau, then I got the hand gesture, ah right six foot three, you velly tau, yes ma'am you velly smau, I do feel a bit like Gulliver as there are so many Japanese aboard.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Just finished our tour in Kochi, this isou fourth port day in succession and we are ready for a rest, as beautiful as Japan is. Three more parts then thesail across the North Pacific to Alaska. The ship is currently pretty full but there is availability for the repositioning.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Just finished our tour in Kochi, this isou fourth port day in succession and we are ready for a rest, as beautiful as Japan is. Three more parts then thesail across the North Pacific to Alaska. The ship is currently pretty full but there is availability for the repositioning.

That sounds a fantastic cruise Phil one that I would love to do , have a lovely time especially in Alaska.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, binman2 said:

Hope all goes smoothly and a speedy recovery for you.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, binman2 said:

Hope all goes well for you today

Michelle

• Like 4

6 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We were in Miyazaki yesterday which was a maiden port, there are no port facilities but the welcome was great with food stalls and a band. Japan is truly amazing, albeit we are a bit Shrined up. I am getting the language too, one lady said owtauyu, sorry, owtau owtau, then I got the hand gesture, ah right six foot three, you velly tau, yes ma'am you velly smau, I do feel a bit like Gulliver as there are so many Japanese aboard.

Owtauowyu. Rupraylugby.🤣

• Haha 1

Interesting that Chinese speakers speak English in exactly the same way, considering that the two languages are presumably completely different.  (Mixing up r and l).  I feel a bit ashamed of finding it funny, as my knowledge of any language apart from French and a bit of Spanish and German is zero.  Rucky for us Blits that a lot of the world manages ours pretty well, hence our laziness.

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Owtauowyu??? Nope, I can't work that out🤔

Rupraylugby. You play rugby?

Avril

#46095. The Japanese Lady enquired after Phil's height. Ow (how) Tau (tall) ow (are ) yu (you). Don't look so funny now does it ?🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Haha 3