P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

33 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I tried to change the oven clock this morning but failed even though I think that I followed instructions in the user guide so ours will be staying on BST.

On mine you hold down the 2 timer buttons next to the + and - signs, and use them to change the time.

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Well they certainly don't want me. We've tried on four separate occasions to have a coach tour of Scotland and each time it was cancelled a few weeks before  departure. As you say, point taken😏

Avril

We went to Scotland some years ago. It was very nice. Folk in charge of things should remember that tourists have choices. If somewhere makes me feel unwelcome, I will go somewhere else.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

On mine you hold down the 2 timer buttons next to the + and - signs, and use them to change the time.

On mine too. You hold down two buttons and press the +/-. Which two buttons ?. Where did I put the manual 6 months ago ?.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Sounds like Scotland doesn't want tourists. OK point taken.

Always found Scotland very welcoming of tourists, we are thinking of going to Scotland in March or April next year, found hotel prices fairly reasonable.

After numerous visits to the city during my working life,  I have only ever managed to have 1 Tourist visit around 10 years ago. 

i can understand why the Scottish Government and others are clamping down on short lets, it makes it difficult for locals to find somewhere to live, which has happened in many parts of Britain where much of the property has bought up as holiday homes or rental properties and pricing local residents out of the market. 

• Like 5

I appreciate all that and in my defence ,have never used air BandB and normally stay in hotels or caravans/lodges. Many sc properties are owned by locals and provide employment for ' locals '. Many holiday resorts are empty off season and the locals are on the dole. There is a balance.  Tourism can be good for local folk.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Had a busy day booking our (my first) ever trip to Scotland.  Three days in Edinburgh next July with the main event being a concert of Paul Weller at the Castle on the Saturday evening.  Flying up from Southampton on the Friday morning and back late Monday afternoon.  Hotels were difficult to source but I've found a Premier Inn on Princes Street at nearly £200 a night which seems about half the price of anything else so hopefully that will be okay.  My husband has been before but only on business so never as a proper visitor.

I'd be very grateful if any of our Scottish friends have any suggestions for things to see, places to eat and nice drinking establishments.  Needless to say I'm very excited even this far out.

I agree with @Son of Anarchy about the Royal Yacht Britannia - a must. Obviously, also the Castle and the Royal Mile. Such a pretty city but lacks the 'soul' that Glasgow has...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

...i can understand why the Scottish Government and others are clamping down on short lets, it makes it difficult for locals to find somewhere to live, which has happened in many parts of Britain where much of the property has bought up as holiday homes or rental properties and pricing local residents out of the market. 

Not just Britain either. It is certainly the same in many Spanish Cities and resorts. I suspect a similar situation in many parts of the 'civilised, western' world...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Had a busy day booking our (my first) ever trip to Scotland.  Three days in Edinburgh next July with the main event being a concert of Paul Weller at the Castle on the Saturday evening.  Flying up from Southampton on the Friday morning and back late Monday afternoon.  Hotels were difficult to source but I've found a Premier Inn on Princes Street at nearly £200 a night which seems about half the price of anything else so hopefully that will be okay.  My husband has been before but only on business so never as a proper visitor.

I'd be very grateful if any of our Scottish friends have any suggestions for things to see, places to eat and nice drinking establishments.  Needless to say I'm very excited even this far out.

8 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

We have stayed at the Premier Inn on Princes Street.  Had a room overlooking inside road. Will look into room number and where we ate tomorrow. 

Unfotunately can't find the number of the room but it was internal and didn't front onto the noisy Princes Street. Here is a view from the bar.

IMG_2004(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.ff926c9bb331ceaf3a2c84d233985f85.JPG 

We ate at Miller and Carter steak restaurant on Frederick Street

https://www.millerandcarter.co.uk/restaurants/scotland-and-northern-ireland/millerandcarteredinburghcitycentre?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb#

and Wildfire Restaurant Steak and Seafood. Very small on Rose Street behind Princes Street and you need to book.

https://wildfirerestaurant.co.uk/

Best part of our stay was the Royal Yacht which we visited by Ho Ho bus from the railway station.

We took the bus from the airport to Princes Street.

• Like 7

Not too bad a day here, 12c and sunny. I must finish planting the rest of the spring bulbs today as it looks to be the last decent day for a while. 

A very Happy Birthday  to @Presto2 and bro @brian1 I hope you both have a lovely day.🥂

I see @kalos is conspicuous by his absence again, maybe off on another jaunt.

On the subject of absence, where is @wowzz? I find myself thinking about him more often and look for his name each time I log in. 

I'm really seriously worried now, but unfortunately there's absolutely nothing we can do.😟

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
missing word
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Not too bad a day here, 12c and sunny. I must finish planting the rest of the spring bulbs today as it looks to be the last decent day for a while. 

A very Happy Birthday  to @Presto2 and bro @brian1 I hope you both have a lovely day.🥂

On the subject of absence, where is @wowzz? I find myself thinking about him more often and look for his name each time I log in. 

I'm really seriously worried now, but unfortunately there's absolutely nothing we can do.😟

Avril

Wowzz is alive and well and posting on an airline discussion site about his forthcoming Caribbean cruise in December. His last post was on 27/10 about Birmingham airport. I don't think I can say the website name but prunes are evident in the name!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

After yesterday’s busy and emotional day at my FiL funeral, today has been one of doing very little, given it was a showery day, we probably wouldn’t have ventured far anyway.

Tomorrow looks a little better, so hopefully I can finish of the bulb planting, cutback some shrubs and generally tidy up the garden and put away the loose pots in case Storm Ciaran makes am appearance next week. 

I'm sorry to hear about your FIL.

Condolences to all of his family and friends.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, brian1 said:

We've never joined SW but bought shedloads of their recipe books.No matter how many herbs and spices in them they always taste a bit bland.The secret,IMO,is just to cut down on bread and carbs.

Happy birthday today Brian.

1554.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

We went to Scotland some years ago. It was very nice. Folk in charge of things should remember that tourists have choices. If somewhere makes me feel unwelcome, I will go somewhere else.

It’s not that simple and it’s not about making people feel unwelcome. Tourism has to try to be sustainable. When high percentages of dwellings are second homes or holiday lets (like Tenby, Abersoch and places in Cornwall), it can play havoc with the housing market. The parking problems in Snowdonia have been well documented over the past few seasons, and that also causes problems. There isn’t a simple answer, but legislation is sometimes justified. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Don't worry about Wowzz, Avril.  He posted this on 11 October elsewhere:

"Good to see you posting on here as well as Cruise Critic. Perhaps you could tell my friends on CC that wowzz says hello !"

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Impressed with downtown Cardiff.Packed with trendy bars and restaurants as well as every one of the usual chain places.Walked around the castle and had a prosecco in O'Niells.A lot of them had outside areas with cover and downheaters.20231029_1229211771.thumb.jpg.444a68f5183e3b93da4b03b6e1d05152.jpg20231029_1156061772.thumb.jpg.56060d7154f890e4cae0b7caa4ab2582.jpg20231029_1303571770.thumb.jpg.8ddd73133cbf93f295af8226629cdb02.jpg20231029_1155261775.thumb.jpg.c0e1dd47233951b0ebf6a0629581aade.jpg20231029_1155071774.thumb.jpg.557ff891f13888e1b219adee1c09b9f6.jpg20231028_1124351773.thumb.jpg.0f4813d5968fd55b3f2aa5125b1a2216.jpg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Wowzz is alive and well and posting on an airline discussion site about his forthcoming Caribbean cruise in December. His last post was on 27/10 about Birmingham airport. I don't think I can say the website name but prunes are evident in the name!

He must be quite regular on there then.

• Haha 6

19 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

What do you class as a "Nice" resort?

Somewhere with a reasonable choice of restaurants and not too clubby!   I was really wondering about the various resorts around the Bay of Palma - maybe somewhere like Cala Major within easy reach of Palma city.   I have been several times to a lovely hotel in Illetas but I don’t think that will fill the bill this time.  Any suggestions?   

17 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

We really do love tourists up here but yes Edinburgh prices are eye watering!   Part of the reason I moved through to Glasgow when I was widowed 7 years ago but I did live there for 44 years.  It is a lovely city for a mini break though and you are staying in the very centre of town.  In George Street I would recommend the Dome for coffee/drinks/snacks just for the stunning interior and Cafe Andaluz has tasty tapas.   My favourite restaurant in town is Fishers in the City in Thistle Street (there is also the original branch Fishers down in Leith near the Britannia).  There are many other eateries including some upmarket Michelin starred ones like Tom Kitchen and Martin Wishart in Leith too.  For atmosphere (I haven’t eaten there for a very long time) maybe try The Witchery (perhaps on the night of your concert at the Castle?) as it’s very near there.  If you like Thai food there is Chaophraya in Castle Street - the terrace has stunning views over to the Castle and there is also Dusit Thai in Thistle Street which has excellent food.  A few for you to research anyway and of course there are branches of the tried and trusted Cote, the Ivy and All Bar One as well.  I would think Eglesbrech May also chime in with more suggestions for another slant on things as she knows the city well too.    
The tram runs from the airport into Princes Street and I believe down to Leith now too so very simple to get around.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1