P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I reckon this has been a bit of a wake up call for the government. Most Government ministers have no idea of business, and don't realise how interdependent the supply chain is.

Without action, the shelves would actually have been bare by the end of next week.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Another nice day here regardless of what the forecast said. Looks promising for the rest of the week too. We had our flu jabs earlier so just the covid booster left, our local jabbing centre starts next week for those who have had the call.

Wife and I had our flu jabs at Boots this afternoon, son today booked an appointment on line as well at Boots and was surprised that he got one for this Thursday but he has to pay for his. My covid booster isn't due until just before Christmas.

I was glad that we got the flu jabs done before we go on our cruise with Princess 2 weeks today, not that there is any indication that the flu season is starting...... yet

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I reckon this has been a bit of a wake up call for the government. Most Government ministers have no idea of business, and don't realise how interdependent the supply chain is.

Without action, the shelves would actually have been bare by the end of next week.

You are probably right, supply chain is very fickle especially with just in time policies, great when everything works not so when one of the links breaks.

Just now, yorkshirephil said:

You are probably right, supply chain is very fickle especially with just in time policies, great when everything works not so when one of the links breaks.

Yes, JIT policies, also known as "Jesus, It's There!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

I do hope that most of you have fixed an energy plan recently. I luckily switched 3 weeks ago to a two year deal, same company are now selling a one year deal costing half as much again !

We had a one year fix with Utility Point, a medium sized outfit  with 200,000+ customers. It was £1600 pa.

Since it collapsed a few days ago EDF now provide our supply at £2400, and because of the cap it’s still one of the lowest rates around, if not the lowest - amazingly.  There’ll be more competition if wholesale gas prices fall, but that’s by no means certain. They could even rise. For the first time ever, the capped rate is now the cheapest rate!

If most of the companies apart from the 10 biggest go under, as predicted, this is going to be a very expensive winter for millions of people.

On 9/19/2021 at 8:34 PM, grapau27 said:

May sound a silly question but does that TV pull away from the wall so that you can watch it from the bed or is it stuck to the wall? We have had loads of sofas in cabins but never use them and would feel uncomfy sitting all prim watching the tv. Some ships have a TV that pulls out so that you can direct it to where you are sitting. Ok I know that you don't spend loads of time in the cabin but sometimes it is nice to just chill out away from the maddening crowds, put your feet up and hibernate (This sounds really odd reading it back, so no rude comments please !)

• Like 1

And now Bulb - it's all a house of cards, sadly.  Good news for the really big suppliers like Centica and EDF in the longer term, even though it might cost them money in the short term.  Bit by bit, the competition's being removed from the market again.

Energy provider Bulb could be nationalised as Government scrambles to rescue firm that supplies 1.7m homes

https://inews.co.uk/news/energy-provider-bulb-nationalised-government-scrambles-rescue-firm-supplies-1-7m-homes-1211216

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

May sound a silly question but does that TV pull away from the wall so that you can watch it from the bed or is it stuck to the wall? We have had loads of sofas in cabins but never use them and would feel uncomfy sitting all prim watching the tv. Some ships have a TV that pulls out so that you can direct it to where you are sitting. Ok I know that you don't spend loads of time in the cabin but sometimes it is nice to just chill out away from the maddening crowds, put your feet up and hibernate (This sounds really odd reading it back, so no rude comments please !)

I never tried moving the TV as it looked fixed but I often sat on the bed in the morning and had no problems

watching the TV.

Half of the TV was in line with the sofa and the other half was in line with the left hand side of the bed.

There was only about 6 inches gap from the sofa to the bed.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

And now Bulb - it's all a house of cards, sadly.  Good news for the really big suppliers like Centica and EDF in the longer term, even though it might cost them money in the short term.  Bit by bit, the competition's being removed from the market again.

Energy provider Bulb could be nationalised as Government scrambles to rescue firm that supplies 1.7m homes

https://inews.co.uk/news/energy-provider-bulb-nationalised-government-scrambles-rescue-firm-supplies-1-7m-homes-1211216

Explains why I got an email a few days ago "inviting" me to pay up the small debit on our account, when currently our direct debit is about 50% higher than current consumption.

Shame they're going under though.  We had a far better deal with them than our previous supplier.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Explains why I got an email a few days ago "inviting" me to pay up the small debit on our account, when currently our direct debit is about 50% higher than current consumption.

Shame they're going under though.  We had a far better deal with them than our previous supplier.

I've been very happy with Utility Point too - and the fixed price which would have seen us through the winter.  It's literally a 50% price increase now following Utility Point's collapse a few days ago, and most or all of the smaller companies competing with the really big players look like going the same way.

If Bulb, with 1.7m customers is in trouble, that doesn't bode well.

• Like 1

Have to say that I am frustrated about the mass panic in the press that Christmas will be 'cancelled' due to shortages as I, for one, will be grateful that Christmas will not be about stressed people running around like headless chickens and / or spending a fortune on goods they can't afford and food they will throw away.

Time for family won't have to come with huge gifts, massive parties and endless Black Fridays, but will have to be about quality time with family and friends whatever their beliefs.  Everyone should breath a sigh of relief. 

For those of us who celebrate Christmas as an important Christian festival, Christmas will be still happen and we will still survive ...

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Yes it does pull away so it can be watched other than face on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Another nice day here regardless of what the forecast said. Looks promising for the rest of the week too. We had our flu jabs earlier so just the covid booster left, our local jabbing centre starts next week for those who have had the call.

Makes you wonder why there is a shortage of greenhouse gas when we allegedly have an over abundance. Food shortage, looks like a bit of rabbiting or nip down to the stream and tickle an old trout. 

😲!! You just keep your hands to yourself young man🤣😉

Avril

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm not a fussy eater, and can make do when I have to. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's managed to come through a couple of recessions and keep a family well fed, but I would draw the line boiled octopus😬

Avril

Hi sis,I've had a word with my Mafia mates.They can "fast track" a container of octopus in time for xmas.Mates rates and no fighting over the legs when there's 8 of them,bro.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Good morning folks hope everyone is relaxed and chilled and not out panic buying ,
it will all come good in the end ,it always does . I remember back in the seventies
during the 3 day week,  times were hard and coming home from school and my brothers

and sisters asking "what's for tea ?" only to be told "Scraps" by my parents, which really

upset them . Not nice but we had to make do ,besides I think it was a stupid name for a

dog anyway. :classic_unsure:These days I wouldn't panic buy anyway as I have seen a book for sale called 
"How to avoid panic buying "  so I have sent off for six copies as they could run out of stock !
I've just checked my bank balance and rather than panic buying ,I think I will just panic this

month ,it's more affordable !:classic_smile:

Last night was a good night for the England ladies football team  playing Luxembourg  ...

TEN - NIL  to England ,well done to them .:classic_love:
Hope you all have a good day ,stay safe and try not to panic buy .:classic_smile::classic_love:

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

This won’t come as a great surprise to many of us, but amusing nonetheless:

Now researchers have found that cheese and cream may indeed ward off heart problems. A study using blood samples from more than 4,000 adults found that those with higher intakes of dairy fat had a lower heart-disease risk.

From today’s Times.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

So getting production restarted in just over a week  is not a bad result in the circumstsnces.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

So getting production restarted in just over a week  is not a bad result in the circumstsnces.

Just one plant for three weeks. It's just a sticking plaster solution.

Obviously better than nothing, but not a long term solution.   

13 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Have to say that I am frustrated about the mass panic in the press that Christmas will be 'cancelled' due to shortages as I, for one, will be grateful that Christmas will not be about stressed people running around like headless chickens and / or spending a fortune on goods they can't afford and food they will throw away.

Time for family won't have to come with huge gifts, massive parties and endless Black Fridays, but will have to be about quality time with family and friends whatever their beliefs.  Everyone should breath a sigh of relief. 

For those of us who celebrate Christmas as an important Christian festival, Christmas will be still happen and we will still survive ...

Not sure how an 'I am alright Jack' attitude fits with the Christian teachings...

33 minutes ago, kalos said:

Anyone trying to log into "My P&O account "  this morning...

Our website is currently undergoing maintenance.

WE REGRET THE INCONVENIENCE THIS MAY CAUSE.

Do you think they could be making a workable web page :classic_unsure:

Worked fine for me five minutes ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Hi sis,I've had a word with my Mafia mates.They can "fast track" a container of octopus in time for xmas.Mates rates and no fighting over the legs when there's 8 of them,bro.

Morning bro. Everything still alright in your adopted land? 

Although I'm grateful for you and your 'friends' kind offer, I'm afraid I must unfortunately decline. Apart from the issues regarding the exporting of fish, 🐙 from the EU to the UK there is also the problem of storage once here, so thanks, but no thanks (I'm no sucker)😉

On the other hand, the arrangment for delivery of a some calamari rings from your local restaurant would be worth a squid or two😁

Take care bro

Sis

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Co2 is bad for the environment and is leading to global warming. Ban Co2........On no !. We are running out of Co2. We will need to take the fizz out of our drinks and eat fresh food........Make more Co2.🤔