P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Morning everyone, another beautiful snowy day here - just freezing cold! Off out to dare M&S Foodhall this morning. Had got slots for Monday and Tuesday and had to cancel them due to the weather, so we should be ok today. Thinking of getting something nice for New Year's Eve Meal. It may not be the hotel we normally go to but we can try our best to celebrate the end of this year. Then again, we are still well and healthy (as are our friends and family ... and pets (!)) so we do actually have lots to be grateful for.

We may celebrate like Christmas Eve. Chinese takeaway ala tier 4.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

We will celebrate the vaccine today. McDonalds drive through for lunch, then watch that nice Mr Handcock on telly .

Great news about the vaccine.

Personally if we go to McDonald's drive through it is before 11am to get a toasted jam muffin,bacon and cheese flatbread or breakfast Mcmuffin.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Thought you would need more than a McDonalds to watch him ---- someone has mentioned a bottle of brandy on here. That's probably what we will all need, a stiff drink. If it had been anyone else I may have had a little bit more confidence but from the Govt's track record this year I will hold fire on the celebrations.

Sorry to be an Eeyore

I mentioned the Brandy and still have some left. DW found another bottle and a bottle of Bailey's, so we may even watch Islington peer.

We are Tier 3 at the moment, but it hasn't made a great deal of difference - am expecting us to hit T4 today.

(Have to smile, remember the days when you used T1,Y2 and T3 to talk about which terminal you were flying from from the airport ------- )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, zap99 said:

I mentioned the Brandy and still have some left. DW found another bottle and a bottle of Bailey's, so we may even watch Islington peer.

We have loads of stuff left - if nothing else, it could be a very merry 2021 😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We have loads of stuff left - if nothing else, it could be a very merry 2021 😉

And Cheese. Mince pies, Turkey ,Gammon all gone........hang on is that another Xmas pud in the back?

Edited by zap99

5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We are Tier 3 at the moment, but it hasn't made a great deal of difference - am expecting us to hit T4 today.

(Have to smile, remember the days when you used T1,Y2 and T3 to talk about which terminal you were flying from from the airport ------- )

Ouch. Our nearest airport is Heathrow. That has a T5.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Ouch. Our nearest airport is Heathrow. That has a T5.

We stayed in the Sofitel hotel Heathrow T5 before our flight to San Francisco in November and stayed overnight on our return before our flight back to Newcastle the following day.

We went into Carluccios in the terminal for dinner and again for breakfast.

• Like 1

Just now, grapau27 said:

We stayed in the Sofitel hotel Heathrow T5 before our flight to San Francisco in November and stayed overnight on our return before our flight back to Newcastle the following day.

We went into Carluccios in the terminal for dinner and again for breakfast.

Our last holiday abroad was to Lapland in late February this year. Covid was just being discussed more and more. We stayed at the Radisson Blu in a room over looking the runway (it is always out pre flight treat). The weather was dire and we took off in a storm ! Lapland was magical -- then we landed in a storm and had an aborted landing. Should have known then what we were coming home to !

Sadly the prices for Lapland for 2022 have gone through the roof 😞 so we are making the most of the snow here at the moment. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Let's not talk about what is in the freezer - we always buy too much party type food. Our eyes are always bigger than our bellies --- and that takes some beating at the moment 😉

Know what you mean, we have put more weight on in 3 days than we do on our 35 night cruises.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Know what you mean, we have put more weight on in 3 days than we do on our 35 night cruises.

Other than the last 2 days we haven't really been out at all - just sat and looked at the internet or T.V.

My Fitbit keeps telling me off 😞

The scales look at me accusingly but I will avoid them until next week .........

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Other than the last 2 days we haven't really been out at all - just sat and looked at the internet or T.V.

My Fitbit keeps telling me off 😞

The scales look at me accusingly but I will avoid them until next week .........

I find the best way to lose weight is to take the Battery out of the scales😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Wouldn't you be better starting off slowly? say one leg at a time. It's not such a shock to the system then, it works for me.😊

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

****Matt Hancock has just said, on Radio4, that the protection is effective 2 weeks from the jab

Whoop de doo

And a scientist at the vaccine press conference says protection starts at day 22 

Moral of the story - always check what politicians tell you 🙄

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Wouldn't you be better starting off slowly? say one leg at a time. It's not such a shock to the system then, it works for me.😊

Avril

I used to prefer the scales at work , set scales to - 6kg Tare weight 

Jobs a good one ! :classic_smile:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, kalos said:

You little party animal you ! :classic_love:

My Dads side of our family are from Scotland and was a big thing in our house 

and as a kid growing up my parents always got me out of bed just before Midnight 

on New Years Eve and gave me a beer shandy and a New penny and a bit of Andy Stewart 

on the telly to see in the year .

Later in my teens we would go first footing around the village with a lumps of coal that made

us a small fortune .The drunk ladies would hug us and kiss us to death ,whilst the men who 

were blotto would stuff  old ten bob notes and even pound notes in our hands .

Married life we just had a few cans in and watched the TV and we also got our kids up

to see in the New Year . 

Later in life we discovered cruising and one of my favourites was the New Year cruise

on the river Seine, where we would drink loads of beer and let in the French New Year.

Then as the ship crossed the channel ,we would be just in time to let the UK New Year in ,

Which meant  we would drink loads of beer (again )and let in our  New Year as it would have 

been very rude not to .:classic_unsure:

Now I am not allowed to drink beers etc , I will still see in the New Year , just the two of us 

Mrs Kalos with her Martini spumante and me with my glass of cranberry juice ..

We will say  "Hello 2021 .. nice to meet you and be kind to us " :classic_smile:

My Mum's from Leningrad, as such, before she came to the UK her family only celebrated New Year, although her parents used to do small gifts on 7 January (Russky Christmas).  

Mum always laidon  a sort of second Christmas lunch on NY's eve, but we couldn't tuck in till midnight!  Usually had a few food goodies we'd brought back from CCCP that summer, including the good ole Sovetskaya Shampanskaya!  Still always buy a couple of bottles of that whenever in Russia or a former eastie beastie country that still sells it.  Mum would usually bake some Russian pies and do a fancy cake called Napoleon.

These days, I pay my respects to Russian NY by swinging back a large shot of vodka at 21:00 - midnight in Moscow.

• Like 5