P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We watched Norwegian Joy cruising Alaska last night on Quest.

The go carts and vertical drop waterslide on board  looked exciting.

We also watched that ,with the zip lines etc .

The most exciting thing we would have done was sat on the park bench watching that log burn .:classic_unsure:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Please don't let's tar everyone with the same brush.  😞

I absolutely love Wales and the Welsh people are dear to me. I was at Uni in West Wales and then my parents lived in North Wales for 22 years. They spent their final days in a wonderful care home there and we made so many wonderful friends / carers. It really was / is our second home (from the heart). To cap it all when checking documents when my parents passed away I discovered that my great grandmother was Welsh and came from the same town my parents lived in (I really don't think they knew). Am really proud of that.

We purchased a static caravan in North Wales this year and have kept to all guidelines. Ironically, we did venture in to Wales to close it down in October and were spoken to by the police and told that we should not be there. We were confused and to cut a long story short we actually were ok to be there as the rules had been changed and it was not common knowledge. Don't get me wrong the police who spoke to us were lovely, very understanding when we grovelled like mad (thinking we were wrong) and a credit. The locals we saw that day were less forgiving, but am guessing they thought we were idiots who should not have been there. It was really uncomfortable and for the first time in my life I was glad to pass the border to England outside Chester. We could feel the tension and felt terrible as (at that time) we thought we had made a mistake.

Why am I rambling - please don't treat us all the same. Ours was a genuine misunderstanding but it was sad to 'feel' the resentment from the local people whom we respect and admire for their culture and the wonderful country they live in. Totally get it when idiots break the rules and ignore them.

Some of us though do feel that the anti English feeling is there and as someone who cares so much about your wonderful country and lovely people it saddens me. 

Please don't be offended - just needed to say it

Don't tar us with the same brush

(PS Also love Devon and Cornwall ...)

I quite understand. Most visitors are lovely but remember some months ago when I tried to explain here how we live most of our life through the medium of Welsh and some just didn’t get it.  Thought that we would be rude if we wanted to speak our own language on holiday and ask to change tables etc. So there is an element of that that still prevails! Which Is why I’m glad that Jeanlyon is also pointing out the trouble that second homes can cause because it’s also a problem within England too. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, emam said:

If you do come up, I wouldn't mention that around DP, they still have high feelings re the strike.

It is the same here in Barnsley, I should hasten to add that I wasn't strike breaking, we had the washing plant onsite and were washing concessionary coal for retired miners, we were not allowed to employ our own staff, fully manned by NCB men who were volunteers. Great set of lads too. 

• Like 3

Rates are so high here that our primary and secondary schools are on the list of those not opening next week. I’m a trustee of a pre-school childcare setting and have spent the last 3 hours trying to find out what’s going on (or more to the point what’s not going on!)

Clear as mud! 🥴

• Like 1

Our Welsh trip had to be cancelled.  There is a lady called Martina who lives in Powys who I dearly wanted to meet.  She runs a Facebook page for dogs with Leishmaniasis which we discovered as our rescue had it.  She was such a wonderful fount of knowledge and now we have him well.  So we planned to visit her on our way to Anglesey.  It wasn't to be.  Still on the bucket list though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Rates are so high here that our primary and secondary schools are on the list of those not opening next week. I’m a trustee of a pre-school childcare setting and have spent the last 3 hours trying to find out what’s going on (or more to the point what’s not going on!)

Clear as mud! 🥴

Take care.

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

I quite understand. Most visitors are lovely but remember some months ago when I tried to explain here how we live most of our life through the medium of Welsh and some just didn’t get it.  Thought that we would be rude if we wanted to speak our own language on holiday and ask to change tables etc. So there is an element of that that still prevails! Which Is why I’m glad that Jeanlyon is also pointing out the trouble that second homes can cause because it’s also a problem within England too. 

I was at Lampeter for 3 years ... a real Welsh speaking part of Wales. People who don't get the Welsh in Wales do my head in. My parents lived in a lovely place with a Welsh name ... someone English moved in and wanted to change the name because it was difficult to spell. Words fails .... suppose I see what you mean.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Ha ha, quite interesting.  I don't do any sort of god, so was being flippant.  But I did see Kerala on that link and that is so beautiful.  Would love to go back there.

Could have been Twinned with Rotherham but we  decided on 

St. Quentin  instead :classic_wink:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We watched Norwegian Joy cruising Alaska last night on Quest.

The go carts and vertical drop waterslide on board  looked exciting.

I look forward to the dodgems on Iona2. A flowrider would be good too. Not too keen on a zipwire though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I think they are equally worthy of the title having spent wonderful times living in both.

Lots of churches in London. Can London be part of this new United United Kingdom ?. All are welcome, even the second home owners.

6 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

All the best people are in January!!  My Mum was the 6th, my brother is the 24th and I'm the 26th.  My father was the 17th!  Strange innit.

Have you looked back to the Easter weekend of your (ahem) conception? 

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Could have been Twinned with Rotherham but we  decided on 

St. Quentin  instead :classic_wink:

Barnsley is twinned with Schwabisch Gmund, Germany and Gorlovka, Ukraine😕. Honest. ( had to look up the spelling😁)

Avril

• Like 1