P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Best wishes to all with birthdays soon xx

Who would have thought it that one of our main conversations lately would be whether or not we ought to book up yet another home delivery  well in advance just in case things get even worse!!!  Main excitement is browsing and ordering online supermarket shop.. how sad is that 😂      Iceland coming today... they haven't milk (ordinary semi-skimmed 2 pints) and have sent no substitute and no salad tray.  They have been amazing during lockdown though, items missing, but got us out of trouble more than once.

Even more sad I know,  but I find jigsaws relaxing, supplies are a bit down and charity shops are closed but on e bay some are cashing in I found a couple of good ones with 4 puzzles in a box for over £40 (one 49)  more than double the normal.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It is -2 but sunny today.

We are going out for a walk and I have my Steel Toe capped boots on.

Was the same here this morning but has now climbed to the dizzy height of  

-1 with chill of -3 and on our street the snow has now turned to a sheet of ice.

Not very good for walking on, looks like fracture clinic stuff to me.:classic_unsure:

We have the sun out as well and we have just had the snow fall off our roof 

with a mighty rumble but pleased to say no damage done .

Hope you enjoy your walk , wrap up well the pair of you ,be careful out there :classic_smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

My father went to school there (Lampeter), and my uncle ( who I was named after- my proper name obviously!) was a vicar in Dale.  I went to the parish church there some 30 years ago to pay my respects, and hopefully I will do the same again this May.

Ah, someone who has heard of it 😉 It is a beautiful part of the world and I loved my 3 years there.  My poor dad wasn't too pleased having to drive me there and back though as those roads were a nightmare!

• Like 1

Just now, Presto2 said:

Ah, someone who has heard of it 😉 It is a beautiful part of the world and I loved my 3 years there.  My poor dad wasn't too pleased having to drive me there and back though as those roads were a nightmare!

My niece lives just outside Lampeter, in Cwmann. The roads are still poor!

• Like 1

It’s a lovely bright clear day but the pavements are treacherous with black ice.  Luckily I escaped with little more than bruised dignity as I sank, elegantly I feel, onto the paving slabs.  One leg folded, one extended in front of me,almost like an ice dancer concluding a routine!  It was chilly down there though.  Numb bum 😀

We’re going to risk it again, hoping that the sun has done its work and, anyway, heading for a field to let the dog run

Côte at Home meal has been delivered for tonight.  If anyone is a fan of Côte I can confirm that their “at Home’ service is a good alternative to going out, and seeing as we can’t go out ... etc

Enjoy the next couple of hours of sun.

• Like 7

Just had a meddle with the vaccine calculator ..

Last week it had me down for late January early February :classic_smile:

Now due to the vaccine roll out changes I am now showing  

Late may to June  :classic_unsure: 

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk  

I hope all the anti- vaxers  let the powers that be know they will 

not be having it , so we can get back up the queue  again .:classic_smile:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Best wishes to all with birthdays soon xx

Who would have thought it that one of our main conversations lately would be whether or not we ought to book up yet another home delivery  well in advance just in case things get even worse!!!  Main excitement is browsing and ordering online supermarket shop.. how sad is that 😂      Iceland coming today... they haven't milk (ordinary semi-skimmed 2 pints) and have sent no substitute and no salad tray.  They have been amazing during lockdown though, items missing, but got us out of trouble more than once.

Even more sad I know,  but I find jigsaws relaxing, supplies are a bit down and charity shops are closed but on e bay some are cashing in I found a couple of good ones with 4 puzzles in a box for over £40 (one 49)  more than double the normal.

If you’re local to the ME8 postcode you’re welcome to have some of our jigsaw puzzles, we have too many and can’t take them to the charity shops at the moment.

9 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

It’s a lovely bright clear day but the pavements are treacherous with black ice.  Luckily I escaped with little more than bruised dignity as I sank, elegantly I feel, onto the paving slabs.  One leg folded, one extended in front of me,almost like an ice dancer concluding a routine!  It was chilly down there though.  Numb bum 😀

We’re going to risk it again, hoping that the sun has done its work and, anyway, heading for a field to let the dog run

Côte at Home meal has been delivered for tonight.  If anyone is a fan of Côte I can confirm that their “at Home’ service is a good alternative to going out, and seeing as we can’t go out ... etc

Enjoy the next couple of hours of sun.

Hope you are feeling okay now after your unfortunate fall.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Was the same here this morning but has now climbed to the dizzy height of  

-1 with chill of -3 and on our street the snow has now turned to a sheet of ice.

Not very good for walking on, looks like fracture clinic stuff to me.:classic_unsure:

We have the sun out as well and we have just had the snow fall off our roof 

with a mighty rumble but pleased to say no damage done .

Hope you enjoy your walk , wrap up well the pair of you ,be careful out there :classic_smile:

It was nice to walk around the estate.

My steel toe capped boots have great grip in the ice but I hadn't worn them for ages.

By the time we got home the soles were decomposing with bits falling off so I had to put them in the bin.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

on our street the snow has now turned to a sheet of ice.

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Hope you are feeling okay now after your unfortunate fall.

Some dodgy conditions out there today, be careful folks :classic_smile:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

My niece lives just outside Lampeter, in Cwmann. The roads are still poor!

My lasting memory is going over Devil's Bridge in the snow and almost getting stuck. How my dad wished I'd have gone to Manchester like my brother 😉

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kalos said:

I can see where your coming from Wowzz and at her age you begin to think 

"How many more chances are left to see her ? "  She won't be around forever

but then again there could be years left in the old girl.

No easy answers here mate but Mums welfare comes first and you alone will make that choice.

Do you have access to any of her Drs or Medical team you could give a call to and chat over 

any options you may have . I feel your pain mate no easy answers .

For what it's worth I have a daughter who lives other side of town and has no transport and 

I gave her strict instructions not to travel and put herself at risk .

The upshot is we have seen her and the grandkids three times in 14 months by us parking

outside her house and talking through a car window .

I know this would not be an option for you and your Mum but I really hope you find a solution 

where you and Mum get to meet .. Good luck :classic_smile:

Thanks Kalos. No medical team to talk to! My Mum is a fighting fit 94 year old, living on her own in the old family home, walking a mile or two every day to get her shopping, looking after the garden etc!

As I am already part of her support bubble,  if she "ahem" catches a cold, I can legitimately visit her to provide nursing care. I'll see what happens over the next few weeks.

• Like 3

Wowzz

If she’s a single person household surely the regulations allow you to “bubble” and visit any time, without needing a caring or any other reason/excuse?
I think that’s been the case since the release of the first national lockdown, basically to support singletons & allow them some human contact.

Please check, but I think that’s how things stand

Also, if you have a sibling or similar, providing Mum allows a no-contact cordon sanitaire of 10 days, she can break the bubble with you and make it with your brother/sister.  Another 10 day (or more) break and then back to you ...

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Wowzz

If she’s a single person household surely the regulations allow you to “bubble” and visit any time, without needing a caring or any other reason/excuse?
I think that’s been the case since the release of the first national lockdown, basically to support singletons & allow them some human contact.

Please check, but I think that’s how things stand

Also, if you have a sibling or similar, providing Mum allows a no-contact cordon sanitaire of 10 days, she can break the bubble with you and make it with your brother/sister.  Another 10 day (or more) break and then back to you ...

Eddie,thanks for the advice. I think the issue is really about the travelling, rather than the actual visit itself. The government advice is not to leave your local area, unless for a specific reason. Just visiting a relative is not included as a valid reason, but travelling to provide nursing care is approved. Hence the need for my Mum to acquire some sort of illness!!  

Edited by wowzz

I’ve toddled off to look at the Tier 4 rules and the Support Bubble info.  As I read it, you’re ok to visit.  Your Mum doesn’t need to be ill

From the Tier 4 guidance

You can leave home to visit people in your support bubble

Who can make a support bubble

Not everybody can form a support bubble. However, on 2 December the rules changed to widen eligibility for forming one.

You can form a support bubble with another household of any size if:

• you live by yourself – even if carers visit you to provide support

BTW - I think the info on this has been very poorly publicised.  So many people on Twitter were saying “My poor Mum, Uncle, Cousin, whatever - on their own for Christmas Day”

It didn’t have to be that way

As long as the singleton doesn’t have simultaneous bubbles with more than one household; as long as they leave time if they want to change bubbles ... no problem

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Thanks Kalos. No medical team to talk to! My Mum is a fighting fit 94 year old, living on her own in the old family home, walking a mile or two every day to get her shopping, looking after the garden etc!

As I am already part of her support bubble,  if she "ahem" catches a cold, I can legitimately visit her to provide nursing care. I'll see what happens over the next few weeks.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-4-stay-at-home#travel

Wozz, reading this you can go see point 3. The link above is to the government site so you can check it out

Travelling out of a Tier 4 area

You must stay at home and not leave your Tier 4 area, other than for legally permitted reasons such as:

• travel to work where you cannot work from home
  • travel to education and for caring responsibilities
  • visit or stay overnight with people in your support bubble, or your childcare bubble for childcare purposes
  • attend hospital, GP and other medical appointments or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health
  • to provide emergency assistance, and to avoid injury or illness, or to escape a risk of harm (such as domestic abuse)

The full list of exceptions will be published in the Regulations.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

BTW - I think the info on this has been very poorly publicised.  So many people on Twitter were saying “My poor Mum, Uncle, Cousin, whatever - on their own for Christmas Day”

It didn’t have to be that way

As long as the singleton doesn’t have simultaneous bubbles with more than one household; as long as they leave time if they want to change bubbles ... no problem

Thanks Eddie - most enlightening.  The guidelines do say that support bubbles should ideally be local,  but obviously that will not be the case for many people.

So, I can visit my Mum with a clear conscience once the vaccine has kicked in, as long as I don't do any shopping on the way !

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-4-stay-at-home#travel

Wozz, reading this you can go see point 3. The link above is to the government site so you can check it out

Travelling out of a Tier 4 area

You must stay at home and not leave your Tier 4 area, other than for legally permitted reasons such as:

• travel to work where you cannot work from home
  • travel to education and for caring responsibilities
  • visit or stay overnight with people in your support bubble, or your childcare bubble for childcare purposes
  • attend hospital, GP and other medical appointments or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health
  • to provide emergency assistance, and to avoid injury or illness, or to escape a risk of harm (such as domestic abuse)

The full list of exceptions will be published in the Regulations.

Thanks- I must admit I missed the detail about support bubbles.