P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

12 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

gwrth firws, nid gwrth saesneg /

anti bhìoras, chan e anti english

I'm never playing Scrabble with you :classic_unsure:

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

But furriners are us all. We are all furriners to someone 😀

Yeah to all them Grockles .. Johnny Foreigners the lot of them ..Ask Jean :classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Local Indian takeaway will have to suffice!  Don't suppose it will change by Jan 26th, can but dream.

LOL'we've still got leftovers from xmas eve,gonna buy a few bits to top it up tomorrow,happy new year.

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

Probably even worse here as locals are often accused of being anti-English! 

Please don't let's tar everyone with the same brush.  😞

I absolutely love Wales and the Welsh people are dear to me. I was at Uni in West Wales and then my parents lived in North Wales for 22 years. They spent their final days in a wonderful care home there and we made so many wonderful friends / carers. It really was / is our second home (from the heart). To cap it all when checking documents when my parents passed away I discovered that my great grandmother was Welsh and came from the same town my parents lived in (I really don't think they knew). Am really proud of that.

We purchased a static caravan in North Wales this year and have kept to all guidelines. Ironically, we did venture in to Wales to close it down in October and were spoken to by the police and told that we should not be there. We were confused and to cut a long story short we actually were ok to be there as the rules had been changed and it was not common knowledge. Don't get me wrong the police who spoke to us were lovely, very understanding when we grovelled like mad (thinking we were wrong) and a credit. The locals we saw that day were less forgiving, but am guessing they thought we were idiots who should not have been there. It was really uncomfortable and for the first time in my life I was glad to pass the border to England outside Chester. We could feel the tension and felt terrible as (at that time) we thought we had made a mistake.

Why am I rambling - please don't treat us all the same. Ours was a genuine misunderstanding but it was sad to 'feel' the resentment from the local people whom we respect and admire for their culture and the wonderful country they live in. Totally get it when idiots break the rules and ignore them.

Some of us though do feel that the anti English feeling is there and as someone who cares so much about your wonderful country and lovely people it saddens me. 

Please don't be offended - just needed to say it

Don't tar us with the same brush

(PS Also love Devon and Cornwall ...)

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 8

22 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Please don't let's tar everyone with the same brush.  😞

I absolutely love Wales and the Welsh people are dear to me. I was at Uni in West Wales and then my parents lived in North Wales for 22 years. They spent their final days in a wonderful care home there and we made so many wonderful friends / carers. It really was / is our second home (from the heart). To cap it all when checking documents when my parents passed away I discovered that my great grandmother was Welsh and came from the same town my parents lived in (I really don't think they knew). Am really proud of that.

We purchased a static caravan in North Wales this year and have kept to all guidelines. Ironically, we did venture in to Wales to close it down in October and were spoken to by the police and told that we should not be there. We were confused and to cut a long story short we actually were ok to be there as the rules had been changed and it was not common knowledge. Don't get me wrong the police who spoke to us were lovely, very understanding when we grovelled like mad (thinking we were wrong) and a credit. The locals we saw that day were less forgiving, but am guessing they thought we were idiots who should not have been there. It was really uncomfortable and for the first time in my life I was glad to pass the border to England outside Chester. We could feel the tension and felt terrible as (at that time) we thought we had made a mistake.

Why am I rambling - please don't treat us all the same. Ours was a genuine misunderstanding but it was sad to 'feel' the resentment from the local people whom we respect and admire for their culture and the wonderful country they live in. Totally get it when idiots break the rules and ignore them.

Some of us though do feel that the anti English feeling is there and as someone who cares so much about your wonderful country and lovely people it saddens me. 

Please don't be offended - just needed to say it

Don't tar us with the same brush

(PS Also love Devon and Cornwall ...)

My grandmother Machin was Welsh but we have never been to Wales.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Thanks for the update, when things settle down we will give it a go when next in Durham, I love Durham, I stayed for 7 months when working at Bearpark colliery during the miners strike.

If you do come up, I wouldn't mention that around DP, they still have high feelings re the strike.

• Like 1