P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

48 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

You may get my son delivering to you! He works out of Hempstead Valley.

As of next Thursday we are allowed out again! John has just found a slot for Tesco for 4th Feb so he’s grabbed that!

We get various drivers, and we’ve had a young man, so it could have been him. They are all very friendly and helpful 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Seems to me Andy that some folk could try UK produce for a change. They may like it if they try it. Helps UK producers  and the economy. Wins all round. You don't need to use your nice free range British eggs to make those foreign omelettes.🤣

I have always bought UK produce as much as possible, even after we'd joined the EU.

Avril

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Have you got a 24hr Tesco within walking distance.I think masking up, hand sanitizing and going in the early hours would be ok.IMO just to keep the sanity going.

No, an hours walk and some of the streets look dodgy to me

19 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Thanks Sarah, to be honest it’s only a few bits we need before we’re allowed out. Trying to avoid crowded Christmas shops and any bexit problems we’d built up a bit of a stock of tinned items, shampoo etc! I even got dishwasher tablets from Amazon 😆

How are you both, Sue? 

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I have always bought UK produce as much as possible, even after we'd joined the EU.

Avril

This is Sainsburys idea of what is 'Best in Season' at the moment! Best in season means to me what is readily available locally in the UK at this time of year but obviously not them.

Fruit & Vegetables in Season | Sainsbury's

12 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Managers are also employees.

To quote Sir John Harvey Jones  in his book Managing to Survive.... There’s no such thing as bad staff, only bad Management of the staff.

I once worked in a very good establishment. Great staff, excellent team spirit and great inspection reports. Then a new manager (headteacher) was appointed. The difference was amazing and sadly, things were never the same again. So yes, bad management of staff and resources, down to that one person. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, kalos said:

All this Brexit is really hitting home now .The Mrs informs me that our shop delivery has arrived and all is present and correct ,nothing missing !  Apart from my Sugar Free Polo Mints :classic_unsure:

I know they have plenty as the factory at York churns out 1.37 million packs per day .

Who can I blame ??? Bad management /workforce or software/paperwork .. All of them ?

You would think after making the for over 70 years they would have got the hang of transporting the mints 50 odd miles down the road wouldn't you . All I can put it down to is interference from over the channel .Well my message is " Bonjour-mon-chuckallo ,I have a mini stockpile of them .You may stop us eating your cheeses but you will not stop me eating our English mints !" :classic_smile:

I will buy British ,we have to get on with it ,I never heard my Granddad saying he was gagging for a baguette ..Where's your Mothers Pride ? :classic_smile: We will get there !

Of course those Tesco baguettes are produced in the UK, they don't import them!

42 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I see we have gone from politics to sexism, it is a personal access chamber cover, if you don't mind

Wouldn't that depend on who dug the hole in the first place? e.g. Man digging hole - manhole cover. Woman digging hole - woman errr, I think I'd better stop there😳

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The shape and size of the manhole cover should be the same as the hole that it covers🤔

No - and if the personal access portal is in the pavement you are walking in the road because the pavement is actually the footway and the the pavement is the surface of the road 😉

29 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Thanks Sarah, to be honest it’s only a few bits we need before we’re allowed out. Trying to avoid crowded Christmas shops and any bexit problems we’d built up a bit of a stock of tinned items, shampoo etc! I even got dishwasher tablets from Amazon 😆

Sue

Do you have the Deliveroo App? If so have a look at what they offer you under grocery. I have Aldi, Waitrose, Co-op and Morrison’s on mine as well as local BP garages. Ideal for a small shop and delivered within the hour 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Glad your husband is doing ok.

regarding delivery slots, I have a Sainsbury’s slot each week, and they are released a week in advance. Therefore each Tuesday morning, I reserve a slot for the following Tuesday, by slinging some shopping in the basket and checking out, and then come back at the weekend and fine tune the basket for my ‘real’ shopping.

Now that's something we have in common DG, although I have a delivery on Thursday and always have 2 orders on the go, because we are on the vulnerable/older group we have 2 weeks forward booking.

By the way I was not trying to hide any Brexit economic problems behind covid, merely expressing my view of the different scale of the two.

A report yesterday that a positive COVID individual had been fined £1000 for visiting a shopping centre in Gillingham, must be Hempstead Valley because Gillingham High Street looks like one of those abandoned wild west towns, including the tumbleweed blowing down it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Of course those Tesco baguettes are produced in the UK, they don't import them!

We didn't have a supermarket back in Granddads day Dave ,just a corner shop.:classic_smile:

Tesco also produce Yorkshire Puddings that they don't import but one bite of them and you wish they would export them .:classic_unsure:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

The sovereignty now is very little different from the sovereignty we had with the EU. The change in status is in practical terms absolutely meaningless.

What you’re talking about is entirely different, as you well know, and for the record my father and father in law, who both fought in WW2, were absolutely in favour of a united Europe for that very reason. So was Churchill, one of the instigators of what became the EU, in the interests of peace. People conveniently forget that.

You do keep quoting that about Churchill, but you don't complete his full views. Which as I am sure you well know were that he wanted a peaceful united continental Europe  but did not want the UK to be part of it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, davecttr said:

No - and if the personal access portal is in the pavement you are walking in the road because the pavement is actually the footway and the the pavement is the surface of the road 😉

But yes  Don't start me off. I was principle UK expert on TC227, which was the European standards committee that wrote the standard " Materials for concrete roads"

Edited by zap99

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Have you got a 24hr Tesco within walking distance.I think masking up, hand sanitizing and going in the early hours would be ok.IMO just to keep the sanity going.

I did that at 8am this morning. We had the heavy snow yesterday and freezing fog this morning so I couldn't open our gate (climbed over it) or the car boot (to get carrier bags) as both were frozen solid.

Good walk though, roughly 1.5 mile round trip with few people about. The back roads are all covered in snow and ice and ironically the only time I nearly slipped was on the parts of tarmac that folks had kindly cleared but were now covered in black ice instead!

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

If you have a local Co op they may deliver.Your order only needs to be £15 minimum

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kalos said:

We didn't have a supermarket back in Granddads day Dave ,just a corner shop.:classic_smile:

Tesco also produce Yorkshire Puddings that they don't import but one bite of them and you wish they would export them .:classic_unsure:

I quite enjoy Aunt Bessies Yorkshire puds, well they are much better than my own attempts over recent years.

45 minutes ago, kalos said:

All this Brexit is really hitting home now .The Mrs informs me that our shop delivery has arrived and all is present and correct ,nothing missing !  Apart from my Sugar Free Polo Mints :classic_unsure:

I know they have plenty as the factory at York churns out 1.37 million packs per day .

Who can I blame ??? Bad management /workforce or software/paperwork .. All of them ?

You would think after making them for over 70 years they would have got the hang of transporting the mints 50 odd miles down the road wouldn't you . All I can put it down to is interference from over the channel .Well my message is " Bonjour-mon-chuckallo ,I have a mini stockpile of them .You may stop us eating your cheeses but you will not stop me eating our English mints !" :classic_smile:

I will buy British ,we have to get on with it ,I never heard my Granddad saying he was gagging for a baguette ..Where's your Mothers Pride ? :classic_smile: We will get there !

But the holes are imported from Polond and stuck at Dover.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3