P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

33 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Unfortunately the ones that will pay will be those that lose their jobs due to our leaving the EU.

Unfortunately wowzz the few job losses that brexit might have caused will be swamped by those lost to covid, and the repayments of all our covid borrowings make the brexit losses resemble a buskers hat full of coppers.

But I am sorry that you remain so bitter at the referendum outcome, I hope I would have been far more magnanimous if remain had won.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Did you actually read and understand my post?  These issues should be resolved so that normal trade can resume, but yes there will be negative consequences of the new trading arrangements. I know the remainers like to portray the leave leaders as hoodwinking the public, but I am part of joe public and as I said I fully expected there would be a cost to leaving, a cost I was prepared to pay.

I have been trying to keep out of this debate as it goes round in circles. 

Regardless of which way we voted, we have it now and have to get on with it, it will get better. 

I am glad you understood the consequences John, but unfortunately people close to me who voted leave are blaming the deal, not the decision to leave for the current issues and had little understanding of the inevitable trading changes when voting to 'look after our own' by reducing immigration and spend the Billions saved on our NHS. 

My views are not a leave/remain argument, just an observation of what I see. 

Andy 

• Like 14

Morning all. I see the Brexit debate is still alive and kicking. No matter how we voted the deed is done and we should accept it and move on. Our little forum wont alter anything and could lose us some friends.

I've been up and about since 5-30 which is unusual for me. Terrible freezing fog here this morning, but the buses seem to running at the moment. They were all cancelled here yesterday and my grandson had a 2 1/2 hour walk home from work. A day off for him today to recuperate.Take care.

Avril

• Like 14

8 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Been finishing off our weekly online shop tonight for delivery tomorrow quite a lot not currently available

no cauliflower only purple or orange ones

no spring onions

no iceberg lettuce whole or bagged

no leeks 

limited choice on oranges and apples

only half cucumbers 

missing a couple of the French cheeses we buy

limited choice on chicken breasts only cheap version or frozen seem to be available 

Gaps in the meats, including lamb steaks, rump steak and beef joints 

Eggs also limited

The chicken and the egg situation could be bird flu related, although we do import chicken from Netherlands which comes in via Dover. 

We import beef from Ireland, the beef joint we bought last week was Irish, this week out of stock. 

Not sure why the lamb shortage as its peak period for British lamb, perhaps people are buying that as other options are not there.

Same problems here. Must be that Project Fear we kept being told about.

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Did you actually read and understand my post?  These issues should be resolved so that normal trade can resume, but yes there will be negative consequences of the new trading arrangements. I know the remainers like to portray the leave leaders as hoodwinking the public, but I am part of joe public and as I said I fully expected there would be a cost to leaving, a cost I was prepared to pay.

You mention the costs - are there any benefits? So far all we see is costs, the latest being the cost of baling out the fishermen with compensation.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

DG you must spend all your waking hours trawling the web for all these stories  unless there is a shortcut way of requesting just the negative data?

To be fair, there is nothing but negative data about our leaving the EU - please feel free to post some positive stories, because I haven't seen any.

We have a situation in which neither the PM nor his ministers have read the key documents forming the basis of the agreement we reached, things are already going badly wrong (fishermen, Northern Ireland, exports/imports to name but three), even Gove is admitting it's going to be difficult, and I'm still searching for that £350m a week for the NHS that was promised.

What are the positives please, apart from that vague and meaningless Sovereignty word?

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not a lot of daylight for you this time of the year, is there.  You must be really looking forward to Spring!

Didn't happen to see that Rick Stein programme about Cornish Gouda did you?  Not normally a great Gouda fan (too bland) but some of the vintage stuff looked well worth a punt.  He's sold out for now though of the more interesting ones.

We saw that Harry, very interesting.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, davecttr said:

Cotton Traders finest, I have had them several months but today was the severest test, almost an hour splashing through puddles and my socks were still dry when I got home.

Just googled them,look impressive.Mine are hikers and I could walk up Snowden like a mountain goat but end up on my arse getting the morning paper.Not an urban shoe,lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Adawn47 said:

Morning Sue, hows your husband?

Avril

Morning Avril, he’s not too bad Thankyou. Seems to be mainly a nasty cough.

I’m bemused by everyone and their online shops as we just can’t get a slot! 
My parents offered to get us some shopping but I refuse to let my 80+ parents get shopping for us! 
They have their vaccines today so it would be awful if they caught it so close to getting protected.

Thanks for asking Avril. We had a video call with our son and grandson last night so that cheered him up,

• Like 12

13 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

That was the video my daughter sent me !! It’s about one mile from where she lives 

Michelle

We saw that on the news last night- terrifying!

The story of the man in the 4x4 reminded me of a similar story round here a couple of years ago. My son couldn’t get up a hill  in the snow on his way to work and out of nowhere a 4x4 appeared and towed him! Brilliant! The driver was just ‘patrolling’ looking for people to help!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Just googled them,look impressive.Mine are hikers and I could walk up Snowden like a mountain goat but end up on my arse getting the morning paper.Not an urban shoe,lol.

I used to have a pair of hiking boots like that, great until the rocks got damp 😨 Mind you I have not tried mine on a manhole cover.

Trivia question - what is the best shape for a manhole cover and why?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning Avril, he’s not too bad Thankyou. Seems to be mainly a nasty cough.

I’m bemused by everyone and their online shops as we just can’t get a slot! 
My parents offered to get us some shopping but I refuse to let my 80+ parents get shopping for us! 
They have their vaccines today so it would be awful if they caught it so close to getting protected.

Thanks for asking Avril. We had a video call with our son and grandson last night so that cheered him up,

Hope he continues being "not too bad", Sue, and that you dodge it.

Have you tried Sainsbury's for delivery slots? Here there are always slots available with them and right now availability every day up to and including 22 January. Hopefully it's similar for you?

15 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Intervening just a little - and trying to keep my resolution to avoid politics on the forum

Positive thought for today

It’s 4.30 and I haven’t yet put the lights on! Yay!

(sorry for people with bad weather)

Where do you live Eddie? In my SE corner it’s been constant rain for days 😞

The Tesco delivery on Wednesday missed out on the baguettes and no substitute. This has left me short of bread but a neighbour has offered to get me a loaf when she visits the local shop. I want to avoid any shops until vaccination and for the required period after.

Not raining this morning - amazing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Hope he continues being "not too bad", Sue, and that you dodge it.

Have you tried Sainsbury's for delivery slots? Here there are always slots available with them and right now availability every day up to and including 22 January. Hopefully it's similar for you?

We have indeed tried Sainsbury’s but it’s highly populated round here and all full! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, P&O SUE said:

We have indeed tried Sainsbury’s but it’s highly populated round here and all full! 

I use Tesco's and joined their delivery saver plan which allows me to reserve a time slot up to 4 weeks in advance, currently I have slots up to the10th February. They have since paused new delivery saver applications. I used to use Sainsbury's but they threw me out because I was not in one of their COVID priority groups

• Like 4

18 hours ago, SeaJane said:

Raining heavily again here today so we’ve not been out for our walk. The good news is that I’ve done my tax return - always a relief when it’s out of the way!
The bad news is that my 97 year old father-in-law has just tested positive from his regular weekly lateral flow test. He lives in a care home and is apparently fine and showing no symptoms, but at his age we are obviously very worried.

I do hope he’s ok Seajane, it’s good they have the tests in his home. All the best to him.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Where do you live Eddie? In my SE corner it’s been constant rain for days 😞

I’m in Dorset Sue

Dry and sunny here again, though significantly colder than yesterday.

I’m sorry it’s not so good for you.  It’ll probably even out over the year - though January is so miserable it’s a great relief to see the sun

• Like 2