P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

47 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I use Tesco's and joined their delivery saver plan which allows me to reserve a time slot up to 4 weeks in advance, currently I have slots up to the10th February. They have since paused new delivery saver applications. I used to use Sainsbury's but they threw me out because I was not in one of their COVID priority groups

I had a delivery on Wednesday and nothing was missing. Yesterday I booked my slot for the 10th February, as I was lucky to get a delivery saver plan in the first lockdown, but before that I was doing a mixture of deliveries and click and collects. My local click and collect is as safe I stay in the car and the shopping is loaded into the boot.

Good Morning Everyone.

I haven't posted for a little while as I''ve been working at our vaccine hub for a couple of weeks so I was very sorry to read that your husband Sue, and your father-in-law Jane, have both come down with the virus. I wish them both as mild a transition back to good health as is possible.

Things are grim in London at the moment. Everyone is working 7 days a week to either run their own practices, help out at others in which swathes of staff and GPs have succumbed, or working at the hubs to help with the vaccine drive. However, our hardship is nothing in comparison to the real heros who are working in ITU. 

Keep well everyone. Stay safe, stay upbeat, and keep posting!

Best wishes all. Jane.

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning Avril, he’s not too bad Thankyou. Seems to be mainly a nasty cough.

I’m bemused by everyone and their online shops as we just can’t get a slot! 
My parents offered to get us some shopping but I refuse to let my 80+ parents get shopping for us! 
They have their vaccines today so it would be awful if they caught it so close to getting protected.

Thanks for asking Avril. We had a video call with our son and grandson last night so that cheered him up,

Glad your husband is doing ok.

regarding delivery slots, I have a Sainsbury’s slot each week, and they are released a week in advance. Therefore each Tuesday morning, I reserve a slot for the following Tuesday, by slinging some shopping in the basket and checking out, and then come back at the weekend and fine tune the basket for my ‘real’ shopping.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Unfortunately wowzz the few job losses that brexit might have caused will be swamped by those lost to covid, and the repayments of all our covid borrowings make the brexit losses resemble a buskers hat full of coppers.

But I am sorry that you remain so bitter at the referendum outcome, I hope I would have been far more magnanimous if remain had won.

Ah, the ‘it’s all down to Covid’ line gets an early airing! 

the economic problems that we will no doubt experience in the coming months and years will no doubt be a combination of both Covid and leaving the EU. We didn’t have to do both at the same time, though. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

The Tesco delivery on Wednesday missed out on the baguettes and no substitute. This has left me short of bread but a neighbour has offered to get me a loaf when she visits the local shop. I want to avoid any shops until vaccination and for the required period after.

Not raining this morning - amazing

I blame Brexit Dave... 😊

If you had ordered a farmhouse loaf instead of 'that foreign muck' you would be fine... 

Does anyone know what the French word for baguette is? 

Andy 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

The Tesco delivery on Wednesday missed out on the baguettes and no substitute. This has left me short of bread but a neighbour has offered to get me a loaf when she visits the local shop. I want to avoid any shops until vaccination and for the required period after.

Not raining this morning - amazing

Have you got a 24hr Tesco within walking distance.I think masking up, hand sanitizing and going in the early hours would be ok.IMO just to keep the sanity going.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, batholiver said:

To be fair, there is nothing but negative data about our leaving the EU - please feel free to post some positive stories, because I haven't seen any.

We have a situation in which neither the PM nor his ministers have read the key documents forming the basis of the agreement we reached, things are already going badly wrong (fishermen, Northern Ireland, exports/imports to name but three), even Gove is admitting it's going to be difficult, and I'm still searching for that £350m a week for the NHS that was promised.

What are the positives please, apart from that vague and meaningless Sovereignty word?

Sad that you think Sovereignty is so meaningless. 80 years ago many of our forefathers visited Europe to protect it and many are still there, resting in Normandy. Sad that you think it is meaningless.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I have been trying to keep out of this debate as it goes round in circles. 

Regardless of which way we voted, we have it now and have to get on with it, it will get better. 

I am glad you understood the consequences John, but unfortunately people close to me who voted leave are blaming the deal, not the decision to leave for the current issues and had little understanding of the inevitable trading changes when voting to 'look after our own' by reducing immigration and spend the Billions saved on our NHS. 

My views are not a leave/remain argument, just an observation of what I see. 

Andy 

Just a final point Andy, curbing immigration and using our subscription fee to the EU to prop up the the NHS was not the issue with me either, I always felt the NHS bus slogan was a bit of a pointless gimmick, and all I ever wanted on immigration was that they had a guaranteed job offer.

I do think that Zap might have a point though about some EU officials wanting to use every conceivable regulation to make Brexit as uncomfortable as possible for UK business.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, batholiver said:

You mention the costs - are there any benefits? So far all we see is costs, the latest being the cost of baling out the fishermen with compensation.

Again I despair of people always wanting to equate leaving the EU with a cost benefit. As I have said countless times I, and many of my leave friends, always accepted there would be a negative economic effect by leaving.  The benefit was all about leaving an organisation that was no longer the mainly trade association we felt we had joined, and was fast becoming a federal state in its own right. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sad that you think Sovereignty is so meaningless. 80 years ago many of our forefathers visited Europe to protect it and many are still there, resting in Normandy. Sad that you think it is meaningless.

The sovereignty now is very little different from the sovereignty we had with the EU. The change in status is in practical terms absolutely meaningless.

What you’re talking about is entirely different, as you well know, and for the record my father and father in law, who both fought in WW2, were absolutely in favour of a united Europe for that very reason. So was Churchill, one of the instigators of what became the EU, in the interests of peace. People conveniently forget that.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Glad your husband is doing ok.

regarding delivery slots, I have a Sainsbury’s slot each week, and they are released a week in advance. Therefore each Tuesday morning, I reserve a slot for the following Tuesday, by slinging some shopping in the basket and checking out, and then come back at the weekend and fine tune the basket for my ‘real’ shopping.

You may get my son delivering to you! He works out of Hempstead Valley.

As of next Thursday we are allowed out again! John has just found a slot for Tesco for 4th Feb so he’s grabbed that!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I blame Brexit Dave... 😊

If you had ordered a farmhouse loaf instead of 'that foreign muck' you would be fine... 

Does anyone know what the French word for baguette is? 

Andy 

Seems to me Andy that some folk could try UK produce for a change. They may like it if they try it. Helps UK producers  and the economy. Wins all round. You don't need to use your nice free range British eggs to make those foreign omelettes.🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I used to have a pair of hiking boots like that, great until the rocks got damp 😨 Mind you I have not tried mine on a manhole cover.

Trivia question - what is the best shape for a manhole cover and why?

The shape and size of the manhole cover should be the same as the hole that it covers🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

We have indeed tried Sainsbury’s but it’s highly populated round here and all full! 

Sainsbury’s Hempstead Valley Click and collect have lots of slots available Sue. Could anyone pick it up for you and drop it off?

Edited by SarahHben

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I use Tesco's and joined their delivery saver plan which allows me to reserve a time slot up to 4 weeks in advance, currently I have slots up to the10th February. They have since paused new delivery saver applications. I used to use Sainsbury's but they threw me out because I was not in one of their COVID priority groups

We do the same, we also have Morrison’s as backup, plus Ocado which my wife uses for her gluten free shopping as they have a wider range than Tesco do, plus some M&S stuff we like saves going to the store.

56 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Again I despair of people always wanting to equate leaving the EU with a cost benefit. As I have said countless times I, and many of my leave friends, always accepted there would be a negative economic effect by leaving.  The benefit was all about leaving an organisation that was no longer the mainly trade association we felt we had joined, and was fast becoming a federal state in its own right. 

We voted remain. We left Barcelona in the EU and arrived in Toulon the next day as leavers. Oh well, that's democracy we thought. What we didn't expect was that the remainers , like we were, refighting the referendum over and over for the next 4 years. I thought us Brits would move on and take the opportunity. Most have , but the rearguard are still there. We lost folks. Can't you deal with it and move on?.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

You may get my son delivering to you! He works out of Hempstead Valley.

As of next Thursday we are allowed out again! John has just found a slot for Tesco for 4th Feb so he’s grabbed that!

Sainsbury’s is showing slots for home delivery available on Tues 19th Jan, midday, and loads of click and collect 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Sainsbury’s Hempstead Valley Click and collect have lots of slots available Sue. Could anyone pick it up for you and drop it off?

Thanks Sarah, to be honest it’s only a few bits we need before we’re allowed out. Trying to avoid crowded Christmas shops and any bexit problems we’d built up a bit of a stock of tinned items, shampoo etc! I even got dishwasher tablets from Amazon 😆

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I see we have gone from politics to sexism, it is a personal access chamber cover, if you don't mind

BS EN 124 is actually Titled " Gully tops  and manhole tops ". Now we are out of the EU we can ditch the Euronorm ( EN ) and revert to BS 497 and call it what we like. Industry will decide what it wants as they write standards, not government. Those who wanted positive effects. How's that one?.🤣

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Try popping to the shop. All our supermarkets are rammed, except for ink cartridges.🤔

All this Brexit is really hitting home now .The Mrs informs me that our shop delivery has arrived and all is present and correct ,nothing missing !  Apart from my Sugar Free Polo Mints :classic_unsure:

I know they have plenty as the factory at York churns out 1.37 million packs per day .

Who can I blame ??? Bad management /workforce or software/paperwork .. All of them ?

You would think after making them for over 70 years they would have got the hang of transporting the mints 50 odd miles down the road wouldn't you . All I can put it down to is interference from over the channel .Well my message is " Bonjour-mon-chuckallo ,I have a mini stockpile of them .You may stop us eating your cheeses but you will not stop me eating our English mints !" :classic_smile:

I will buy British ,we have to get on with it ,I never heard my Granddad saying he was gagging for a baguette ..Where's your Mothers Pride ? :classic_smile: We will get there !

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2