Jobs savaged in travel

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Last week one big Australian TA, the "Captain", announced closure of many of its stores. The TA I work with has nearly all its staff working from home, but I think they are working mainly on cancellations.

The. Captain has hung up his wings in NZ too .

On 3/23/2020 at 11:15 AM, Aus Traveller said:

Last week one big Australian TA, the "Captain", announced closure of many of its stores. The TA I work with has nearly all its staff working from home, but I think they are working mainly on cancellations.

And 'WorldHello' and 'CentreFlight.'

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

The regular Tuesday Travel section of the NZ Herald was very sparse this morning .No ads from TAs .

As was the usually thick travel section of Sunday Telegraph in Australia.  I read it in 1 minute.

I couldn't help feeling sorry for all those people queued up at Centrelink the last couple of days. Last week with trepidation, after hearing all the horror stories, I went to Centrelink for the first time ever. I was in and out in under an hour.

I wanted to apply for a Seniors Health Care Card and needed a reference number for which I had to apply in person. I had, for the last 5 or 6 years, thought I was ineligible but it seems I just scrape in under the taxable income threshold.

4 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I couldn't help feeling sorry for all those people queued up at Centrelink the last couple of days. Last week with trepidation, after hearing all the horror stories, I went to Centrelink for the first time ever. I was in and out in under an hour.

I wanted to apply for a Seniors Health Care Card and needed a reference number for which I had to apply in person. I had, for the last 5 or 6 years, thought I was ineligible but it seems I just scrape in under the taxable income threshold.

Good work, now you get the cheap 'stay alive pills'  and the Govt stimulus package handouts coming soon.  We have the CSHC too, god help me if we lose it one day, one monthly pack of my AF pills is $93 full price, currently $6.50 at the dinosaur price.🤐

Edited by NSWP

My daughter qualified as an international travel agent at the time of 9/11 attacks. 

Bad timing but she was able to find work and a career in the health resort industry -  (now retired with 2 babies). We thought times were tough then but now this has affected so much more, cafes, restaurants, wineries, concerts, camping, pubs, attractions etc as well as the airline and cruising industries. So sad for all that have been affected with the virus and tough times. Take care everyone.

Hope our TA is OK and her store is not one of the ones for closure......

She has been great to ourselves as well as my mother........

Also looking at our favorite places in Tasmania, they are all closed... hopefully will see them later in the year.....

At least they is wine under the bed....

Don 

The hidden cost is the Federal Government and Queensland Govt. (don't know about other states) has just spent a lot of marketing money in support of the tourism industry, following the long drought and the devastating bush fires.  A total waste of money because we are now saying in the Sunshine State - Don't come, please stay at home.  They are even closing the road/ferry to the Daintree.  

25 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The hidden cost is the Federal Government and Queensland Govt. (don't know about other states) has just spent a lot of marketing money in support of the tourism industry, following the long drought and the devastating bush fires.  A total waste of money because we are now saying in the Sunshine State - Don't come, please stay at home.  They are even closing the road/ferry to the Daintree.  

And the same for Kangaroo Island in SA. Now they are pleading for people to stay away. Now we are all in the fight for survival. 

6 minutes ago, Pushka said:

And the same for Kangaroo Island in SA. Now they are pleading for people to stay away. Now we are all in the fight for survival. 

We stay at the Flinders Range National and they aren't even taking enquiries for future bookings yet.  We also stay at Penneshaw at the other end of the island.  We buy everything on the island as flight is via Rex Air.  I'm getting low on my delicious Emu Ridge honey.  I think survival now is via the internet, like they did in the South Coast of NSW and some drought areas.

On 3/26/2020 at 2:13 PM, Pushka said:

People are losing jobs everywhere. But its almost like the Government didnt expect the carnage that actually occurred. 

Probably why Morrison doesn't want to shut the country up completely and wants those who can work, work.