How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

it doesn't matter what governments do, at all levels, there will be those who don't agree with them. But in saying that some of the things that the QLD govt is doing in the name of keeping Queenslanders safe is become quite disgusting. The NSW family in the news today, whose father in terminally ill in Brisbane and who wants to see his four young children who live in Sydney before he doesn't recognise them. But the QLD Health Dept has said only one child can cross the border! How do they choose which child. That is just heartbreaking!

Leigh

• Like 2

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

it doesn't matter what governments do, at all levels, there will be those who don't agree with them. But in saying that some of the things that the QLD govt is doing in the name of keeping Queenslanders safe is become quite disgusting.

Disgusting for sure. You are either with us or agin us, and it seems under the current QLD govt, they are canetoads first and Aussies a long second. We can only trust that karma comes a calling. 

• Like 2

Just watched ch7 news, a female qld govt minister says..We let the afl and vips and film stars into qld because they bring a lot of money in.  Unbelievable. But some poor girl, a qld resident is not permitted to attend her fathers funeral, just view the body, she is not going to a night club and offered to stand well outside the funeral place. I shake my head in disbelief.  Now the nsw relos of the greenmount shark victim want to come to the gold coast for the funeral, standby for another drama.

Edited by NSWP

All we need is some common sense  ( not likely in political circles )

I feel for all the people living in border towns and communities...

It just would have been  so easy to put a bubble round them instead of a fence though the middle on them.....  well done....

And as far as sporting, film, and other so called important people... tell them to stay home.

Soap box put away.......

Have a great evening all... cheers Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Not just common sense but compassion as well. Something most of the Australian governments seem to be lacking.

I think they got encouraged by their positive reaction for the 'us and them' when they took on the cruise lines and kicked them out. Who cares about the passengers and crew, and business surrounding that if it's not Australian? And playing that card has worked with many Australians for some time.

And by all accounts it's continuing to work politically in QLD, hence why she's continuing with it. If the locals were against it, I doubt she would have continued with the 'tough on interstaters' policy.

10 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

All we need is some common sense  ( not likely in political circles )

I feel for all the people living in border towns and communities...

It just would have been  so easy to put a bubble round them instead of a fence though the middle on them.....  well done....

Qld. tried Don.  The Gold Coast Lord Mayor, through the Old. Premier, requested the NSW/Qld. border checks be moved further south in Tweed Heads, to try to avoid inconvenience to local Tweed/GC residents.  Tweed/Coolangatta border towns operate as one town.  GC busses finish their southern route in Tweed Heads, NSW.  However, the NSW Premier would not agree to this common sense request.  She later experienced similar border problems on her southern NSW/Vic border.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Let's look at the facts. The AFL officials/players/families were allowed into Queensland, but are not permitted to roam around until they have completed their 14 days quarantine. I believe this can apply to anyone. It so happens that the AFL booked an entire resort that is being used for their quarantine. I suppose anyone could do that if they wanted to spend the money.

With the AFL mob coming mostly from Australia's COVID-19 Central, are all of the people who came in contact with them in-transit and since also in the 14 day lockdown? Are the staff at the resort also there for the 14 days, lest they spread the virus within the community?

I know that we need to cater for returning travelers, and there are quarantine rules around that system, but surely with the risk of people coming from a known 'true' hotspot for no other reason than money, and for Tom Hanks & his entourage & others likewise , surely the risk is such that it should be complete lockdown of all people in contact with the 'guests', paid for by the guests.

The mere fact that the CHO felt the need to justify the decisions on the basis of money indicates that even they know they are wrong in what they are doing & they have compromised their principles.

This virus is doing more than just physical harm to those who contract it, it's fostering hatred (and I use that word delberately). State versus state, regional versus urban, suburb versus suburb, and even neighbour versus neighbour in some cases I suspect. Very, very sad.😪

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Qld. tried Don.  The Gold Coast Lord Mayor, through the Old. Premier, requested the NSW/Qld. border checks be moved further south in Tweed Heads, to try to avoid inconvenience to local Tweed/GC residents.  Tweed/Coolangatta border towns operate as one town.  GC busses finish their southern route in Tweed Heads, NSW.  However, the NSW Premier would not agree to this common sense request.  She later experienced similar border problems on her southern NSW/Vic border.

And given this was a QLD issue, the right approach would be to handle the border operations in QLD, instead of trying to palm it off for someone else to do your own job. You don't put your own responsibilities/tasks on to others.

The bus argument is farcical - Kingscliff and Murwillumbah buses also end their route in Tweed Heads, so now all the NSW only communities - not even going to QLD - need to be disrupted so QLD can make its own border rules for its own benefit! That would be a real farce.

If the situation was reversed you would see that suggestion for the farce it is, but apparently think it's reasonable cause it suits QLD and call it "common sense."

And no, we didn't experience anywhere like the problems with Vic that we have with QLD. Funny that. Common element of NSW is fine, but when QLD becomes involved, the accusations are thrown about, thanks to political grandstanding.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Let's look at the facts. The AFL officials/players/families were allowed into Queensland, but are not permitted to roam around until they have completed their 14 days quarantine. I believe this can apply to anyone. It so happens that the AFL booked an entire resort that is being used for their quarantine. I suppose anyone could do that if they wanted to spend the money.

So you only count if you have the money. Which is just what the esteemed QLD Health Officer said.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I feel it is very sad that the young woman wasn't allowed to go to her father's funeral. However, consider what usually happens at funerals - a lot of hugging. It would have been kinder if she had been allowed to go to the funeral, even if she was accompanied by an official to ensure she kept social distance from everyone else. Another option would have been to let her go to the funeral and hug and kiss and whatever, then the whole group go into quarantine.

Your first option is similar to what ultimately happened (but without the people at all) - but only after a lot of press was given to it. Had that not occured, then even that would not have happened. Remember of course that this person has come from a location without any cases for 2 months - which is a far better situation than the QLD environment she was visiting which has more cases today.

And that's the issue. Instead of applying "common sense" to human situations, the QLD administration is only prioritising the dollars and forgetting about the people - THATS what is being criticised.

54 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I had to take a chill pill and a couple of extra glasses of Cab Sav to wash it down after debate on here yesterday.  I wonder who will win the Qld election? 

Early this year I would have predicted that the LNP would win. Now, I think Labor will be returned. The LNP hasn't been coming over well.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

The Victorian, NSW and now WA AFL players, officials and and families were on chartered flights (Virgin) and didn't mix with other passengers at the airports. When travelling to games whether in QLD, SA, or NT, they are once again on chartered flights and then on coaches to the grounds and fly back to their hubs immediately after the game is completed. As for as the resort/hotel staff, no idea what happens but that would be a consideration. 

The statement by the QLD CHO was completely out of wack that the people who she gave exemptions bring in money to QLD. So do tourists!

I have no problem with the protocols being used to move the actual teams around to play games. From what you describe it is similar to the 'displaced' teams in the NRL - Auckland & Melbourne. The local teams from NSW & QLD travel to & from games on the same day & only the 50 people (players & support staff) in the team bubble travel - no families etc. in fact recently a young guy made his debut for Melb Storm at their home base on Sunshine Coast. His family, who are in the club bubble at a resort, were not allowed to go to the game & had to watch on TV - rules is rules!

What the issue is the 400 people, officials, family, friends etc etc who have flown to GC to 'arrange' the GF on a jaunt & how differently the QLD authorities are treating them to others as discussed above.

The QLD CHO should be looking for another job - either incompetent or too truthful for own good

Australia to host Rugby Championship in blow to New Zealand

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies/australia-set-to-host-rugby-championship-in-blow-to-new-zealand/news-story/7424b19543dd01ff7eab99d05eb0c5bd

I don’t know what. The headline is trying to mean , as I don’t think NZ is worried that we won’t be hosting the competition. 

48 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Early this year I would have predicted that the LNP would win. Now, I think Labor will be returned. The LNP hasn't been coming over well.

My best friend will be voting Labour for the first time in her life!  Should be an interesting election.  Clive Palmer will be donating $80,000 to the election (SBS), which is not a surprise.  

Edited by MMDown Under

26 minutes ago, mr walker said:

What the issue is the 400 people, officials, family, friends etc etc who have flown to GC to 'arrange' the GF on a jaunt & how differently the QLD authorities are treating them to others as discussed above.

The QLD CHO should be looking for another job - either incompetent or too truthful for own good

Some of the 400 are players and their families who had gone home for births of new babies, treatment for injuries or personal reasons such as Gary Ablett whose mother in law who was seriously ill and who passed away and his son has health problems. They will return to their hubs to resume training with their clubs once the quarantine is complete. Some are journalists who will be covering the finals live instead of from in front of their tvs. The AFL families do not attend matches either, they watch from the hubs.

I agree that it is most likely a jaunt for some though and I do hate that there is very little compassion shown by the QLD authorities for everyday people who just need some support.

Leigh

I am so excited... dan has just promises a COVID-normal Christmas...

No not excited....  lol

What will be the meaning of this "covid-normal" thing.... that is 16 weeks away....

Time to see what on specials at Dan's       

and put things in neutral... and coast along.. 

( we will put Sir Isaac Newton in the driver's seat ) 

Have a enjoyable evening    end of the working week   

( does that mean much to us retired people )      Don  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I consider that I have a sequence of seven day long weekends.

But what happens   when there is a public holiday.... you miss out....

You go to the shop and wonder why they are shut.....lol   ( pre covid-19 )

But I do like 7 day weekends....... What happen when you say it will do on Monday...

as it is always the weekend........    better stop... cheers Don

8 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

But what happens   when there is a public holiday.... you miss out....

You go to the shop and wonder why they are shut.....lol   ( pre covid-19 )

But I do like 7 day weekends....... What happen when you say it will do on Monday...

as it is always the weekend........    better stop... cheers Don

And plenty of time to cruise .......oh oh we can't do that either.

Some warm spring weather which is pleasant in the garden and for walking.

Dislike really hot weather but it looks as if we are locked in for summer, cannot leave the country.

Hopefully the bushfire season will not be as bad as last year.

Painful listening to all the political fights over borders and even koala bears.

Distressing to hear how some people are suffering as a consequence of the virus and the restrictions to their ability to be with family or friends.

Annoying to hear officials say some people add monetary value and are exempt from freedom of movement and even quarantine in some cases. 

Nevertheless we must be obedient and comply or suffer the consequences.

Saw a report one of the health people telling people to make their bed every day and it would improve their mental health. Wash your hands. Almost childlike messages.

Easy for those still receiving large 6 figure plus salaries to lecture to the downtrodden.

Meanwhile we read of the stuff ups in the hotel quarantine inquiry and statements that no one was in charge!! Bizarre and dangerous risks with peoples welfare and safety.

Its like something from another century or country. 

Take care. 

15 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

I am so excited... dan has just promises a COVID-normal Christmas...

No not excited....  lol

What will be the meaning of this "covid-normal" thing.... that is 16 weeks away....

Time to see what on specials at Dan's       

and put things in neutral... and coast along.. 

( we will put Sir Isaac Newton in the driver's seat ) 

Have a enjoyable evening    end of the working week   

( does that mean much to us retired people )      Don  

Every day is the same to us don....395547914_Tshirt.jpg.2458aafc8c15be90a46b911b04a5472d.jpg have to go help my daughter clean bricks

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2