MSc magnifica off WA coast

5 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Fremantle Ports expected movements is showing her going to Oil Refinery Anchorage North 6   🤔

This is a snippet from Perth News today:

Commissioner Dawson said the Magnifica had requested more fuel at the Fremantle Port.

Mr McGowan said in regards to the Magnifica work was being done to help get it to Europe or another port.

13 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

If there is no illness on this MSC ship why would anyone want to go back to Europe which is riddled with it? Be smart stay on the ship!😋

There is a whole lot of confusion here - but this the original report, sadly due to recent events, (Ruby Princess) where perhaps full details were not disclosed, there is a lot of scepticism around - and everyone - world wide - needs protection, and the saying "honesty is the best policy" is now a life saving statement. In a perfect world...……..if only people would do this at this time, more than any other time in their lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Premier Mark McGowan is adamant no one on-board will be allowed ashore during the refuel on Tuesday morning, as he says at least 250 of more than 1700 passengers are suffering upper respiratory illness.

The cruise ship operator MSC, however, has denied that any crew or passengers on the ship, which departed Italy in January, have respiratory or flu-like illnesses. The Government claims the vessel has given inconsistent reports about the health of its passengers.

16 hours ago, Pushka said:

Magnifica would have moved to PNG on the original itinerary had they kept to it. Australian waters?

Okay, I was going to stay away but just couldn't. Here's a scenario for you...YOU are on Zaandam and she is wherever in the world she is, oh oops there is an outbreak now 4 are dead. Where and when should that ship you are on be allowed to port and take care of those 3000+ souls on board? Suddenly your life is at risk and others have perished because everybody said not in my backyard.

Sorry had to be impolite.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Suddenly your life is at risk and others have perished because everybody said not in my backyard.

Agreed, even if all passengers are taken off and put into quarantine in Hotels and those requiring medical help are given it. 🤔

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Okay, I was going to stay away but just couldn't. Here's a scenario for you...YOU are on Zaandam and she is wherever in the world she is, oh oops there is an outbreak now 4 are dead. Where and when should that ship you are on be allowed to port and take care of those 3000+ souls on board? Suddenly your life is at risk and others have perished because everybody said not in my backyard.

I have so much more important issues happening here that you can have your ideas, I have mine. 

Edited by Pushka

10 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Except. There is no one sick onboard the Magnifica according to the Captain 

Sorry you failed. That was NOT the scenario, with the warm welcome all these ships are receiving around the world, would you as a Captain say "oh by the way we may have sickness aboard" (didn't think so) Also you didn't say that it would be great with you if you were on that ship (didn't think so). All well and good safe at home worried you can't go for a pint with your friends, but you would be the first one whining on face time that you're trapped at sea with nowhere willing to let you land.

I hate to be personal but that is a pretty petty life, best of luck to you and the other NIMBYs. I think I'll leave this thread again it's bad for my blood pressure. 

26 minutes ago, nnps said:

Number of posts for Pushka and Blackduck. Not sure of relevance.

Yeh, none whatsover. Everyone is entitled to their opinion regardless of post numbers.

Someone made a similar inference when I first came to this board. It was offensive to say the least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would have thought MSC Magnifica would have bunkered and be on her way. But not happening. Still negotiating I reckon.

Why don't they send health officials onto the ship to examine these '250 pax' .?  That would settle the argument.

Edited by NSWP

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I would have thought MSC Magnifica would have bunkered and be on her way. But not happening. Still negotiating I reckon.

Why don't they send health officials onto the ship to examine these '250 pax' .?  That would settle the argument.

Only a test can tell if someone has the virus. Only a test.

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

There is no easy solution. Risks to others on the ship. Risks to citizens of the country that takes them in. And who covers the bill for the covering of the costs while they isolate. Passengers? Cruiseline, or citizens of that country? Challenging times. 

In my mind passengers and cruiselines should reimburse the country for some of the costs as they chose to cruise at this time and the cruiselines chose to take the passengers on a cruise. 

Edited by icat2000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Only a test can tell if someone has the virus. Only a test.

Well test the 250 then !!  Make MSC pay for it !!

Edited by NSWP

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Well test the 250 then !!  Make MSC pay for it !!

Just wanted to stress that eyeballing people, even by medical professionals, can't indicate which people actually have it. Yes, testing all would be the ideal but as a country we've been so short of tests.

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

You are not impolite. I agree. We need to help each other. The two HAL ships (Zaamdam and Rotterdam) are in the Pacific off Panama. Only the Zaamdam has pax who have tested positive. Medical staff and supplies have been transferred from the Rotterdam to the Zaandam. Panama isn't allowing ships with positive cases to transit the canal ☹️ so several 'healthy' passengers have been transferred to the Rotterdam. Hopefully that ship will be allowed to transit, then proceed to Florida.

However, deaths from a variety of causes are to be expected on any ship, particularly on a HAL ship with the average age of passengers. One Cruise Director joked that the average age on HAL was "deceased" - an off-colour joke at the moment.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Just wanted to stress that eyeballing people, even by medical professionals, can't indicate which people actually have it. Yes, testing all would be the ideal but as a country we've been so short of tests.

I understand what you meant, examination not the go, testing has to be done. No worries.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

You are not impolite. I agree. We need to help each other. The two HAL ships (Zaamdam and Rotterdam) are in the Pacific off Panama. Only the Zaamdam has pax who have tested positive. Medical staff and supplies have been transferred from the Rotterdam to the Zaandam. Panama isn't allowing ships with positive cases to transit the canal ☹️ so several 'healthy' passengers have been transferred to the Rotterdam. Hopefully that ship will be allowed to transit, then proceed to Florida.

However, deaths from a variety of causes are to be expected on any ship, particularly on a HAL ship with the average age of passengers. One Cruise Director joked that the average age on HAL was "deceased" - an off-colour joke at the moment.

HAL was always known as the 'Floating Nursing Home.'  That term could now be levelled at many lines including Princess.  The Aust/NZ cruises like the one Ruby was doing are very popular for the dinosaurs as there are no flights, likewise the 'Island Cruises.' 

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

HAL was always known as the 'Floating Nursing Home.'  That term could now be levelled at many lines including Princess.  The Aust/NZ cruises like the one Ruby was doing are very popular for the dinosaurs as there are no flights, likewise the 'Island Cruises.' 

I have found that Princess' around Australia cruises seem to have more walkers and wheelchairs than any other itinerary I have been on. There are so many they can't find anywhere to park at the rear of the Princess theatre before a show. 🙂 I admire some of these folk for their determination to keep cruising.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have found that Princess' around Australia cruises seem to have more walkers and wheelchairs than any other itinerary I have been on. There are so many they can't find anywhere to park at the rear of the Princess theatre before a show. 🙂 I admire some of these folk for their determination to keep cruising.

Except some of them who push the boundaries and demand to be put on the tenders.   Tender crews should be more forceful, but they don't want confrontation.

41 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Except some of them who push the boundaries and demand to be put on the tenders.   Tender crews should be more forceful, but they don't want confrontation.

We saw a passenger in Darwin being taken down a very steep gangway in a wheelchair that required four crew because the gangway was so steep. When they got to the bottom, the passenger got out of the wheelchair and walked away with not even a walking stick!

4 hours ago, icat2000 said:

There is no easy solution. Risks to others on the ship. Risks to citizens of the country that takes them in. And who covers the bill for the covering of the costs while they isolate. Passengers? Cruiseline, or citizens of that country? Challenging times. 

In my mind passengers and cruiselines should reimburse the country for some of the costs as they chose to cruise at this time and the cruiselines chose to take the passengers on a cruise. 

My reading is that cruiselines have been willing to contribute to any necessary remediation efforts. Obviously it's not in their interests for either passengers to get sick or worse, or passengers to be held up and disrupted and bad press. So I think they're willing to contribute as necessary.

Of course, when you get illogical and inhumane responses like that Premier, well it just shows the quality of certain Governmental officials we have.

• Like 1