Getting Defensive about Cruising

sakigemcam

I'm sure I'm not alone in passionately defending the cruise industry right now (and all the time). I get SO ANNOYED at friends and co-workers dissing cruises as hotbeds for disease. Different reporting requirements, different visibility, different age groups from airports, airplanes, MY COMPANY'S CROWDED ELEVATORS!, subways, etc. We had a wonderful cruise on the Silhouette earlier this month (despite the Miami turnarounds of course) - I was eagle-eyed looking for misbehavior and saw it once, on the last day, a woman rifling through the chocolate chip cookies at the buffet with HER HANDS. I said "OHMIGOD!" and then my husband dragged me away before the New Yorker in me could get into it (later he said he regretted taking me away because she deserved a dressing down). 

The media exposure for the Vaandam right now is bringing my "Don't ever cruise again" friends to new heights of obnoxiousness. 

Are you with me? Our flights home were packed and airless! FLL was disgusting! 

What are some of your favorite "refrains of defense?"

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I agree with you and think were more of those individuals will not sail now, especially when I Am sailing, it would be a much better environment over all... LOL

This is not to mean that 'their' concerns are not valid, just that their concerns are not mine.

In health and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 13

Not my job to defend cruise lines or  cruising as a vacation choice.

Has been a big part of our choices in the past.  With what we are learning through our seasoned cruiser eyes, maybe not so much anymore!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So, I am going slightly off from your point, of defending cruising from a germ focused perspective,  as I find that I have to defend cruising period - long before the covid19 outbreak.  So I hope it's ok if I rattle on, as I bet I'm not the only one who has come across some of these issues.  

I find that people that I know who are anti-cruising, have an outdated stereotypical view of cruising - they think that all cruise lines are ticky tacky, still have midnight buffets with disgusting amounts of disgusting food, are filled with rotund very old people who smoke and wear cheesy clothes, and only sail in the Caribbean!  Their view of the average cruise passenger is very narrow minded - thinking that people that cruise don't care about the destination at all - that cruise passengers just want to eat and drink and drink and eat - all buffet food they think, they've no idea about the stunning food on board Celebrity ships - and they think cruisers only go to places with palm trees. This, seriously, is what I find many people think! 

I've had to deal with many self righteous anti-cruisers that promote land trips as by definition, being more authentic, with the not so veiled implication that I am an uninformed traveler and they are so superior in every way......so I do find myself defending cruising often, seeing myself as something of a pro-cruising ambassador! 😄 I explain the various different ship brands, from mass market lines like Carnival to the ultra luxurious.  I explain why we love Celebrity so much, the whole "modern luxury" thing and well, no need for me to explain why we love Celebrity to you!  And I go on at length about the fantastic destinations we cruise to, and how very often the ship docks in a major port overnight - and now, some ships are docking for two nights - in order for the passengers to have that "authentic" land based experience, but still having the benefits that the ship provides.  I also go on about the healthy food, and the specialty dining which is available......the thing that surprises the anti-cruisers the most though is the ship staying in various cities overnight, and sometimes two nights - that usually gives them pause......

I know I can't convert someone who is anti-cruising, it's almost like a political party, or if your family when you were young was a Ford or Chevy family 😋 - it's pretty nearly in your DNA!  But, at least, maybe I opened their eyes a bit - though probably not!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, hcat said:

Not my job to defend cruise lines or  cruising as a vacation choice.

Has been a big part of our choices in the past.  With what we are learning through our seasoned cruiser eyes, maybe not so much anymore!

It has been a very difficult time for both passengers and cruise lines alike....

I fully understand your position.

bon voyage

I've enjoyed the 2 river cruises and 2 ocean cruises I've taken.  I think you either like it or you don't.  My husband is not a fan of river cruising.  It's funny, he complains about not getting enough exercise on the river ships.  But he would leave the ship and go left or right and run for however many miles then come back.  (Which seems like a great way to see a city!)  So I don't know what he complains about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Years ago I realized that there is a segment of people who are intimidated with cruising, so it makes them feel better to put down the whole industry. The more they can get others to agree with them, the more valid they believe their feelings are.

I don't look at myself as a defender of cruising, but if I can get a person to have a civil discussion about cruising, I believe I can get "some" to revisit the idea.

That said, it isn't for everyone.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think folks should spend their vacations however they want.....yeah, I have heard the anti cruisers before, many of them have never set foot on a ship.  They aren't really worth the conversation...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The trouble is cruise companies have been getting moregreedy every year to meet there shareholders requirements.Every line has kept ordering bigger ships and increasing the number of ships in fleets . This has resulted in ships having queues everywhere on board and absolutely destroying places like Venice Barcelona Santorini and many more.At the same time shipping lines have kept cutting frills in order to fill these bigger ships.

When these big ships are being replaced by even bigger ships they are sold off or passed down to another line under the same ownership.

We are now waiting for Celebrity to cancel our cruise from Venice in July ,and even though we used to love cruising we will not be booking any more trips

With regard to Venice they have seen such a change in the quality of water in the canal we cannot see the city letting cruise ships sail up the canal for much longer. Dolphins have recently been seen well up the canal near the city .

What will happen to all these cruise ships and all the new builds on there way ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I think folks should spend their vacations however they want.....yeah, I have heard the anti cruisers before, many of them have never set foot on a ship.  They aren't really worth the conversation...

Some of them are my best friends though lol. I can't avoid them. 

Why would anyone get defensive about cruising, or feel the need to defend it? Everyone is entitled to their opinions and to their preferred ways of vacationing. Just as I would not appreciate someone trying to convince me that travelling and living in a cramped RV and staying at campsites is the best vacation ever, I would not impose my preference for cruising on someone who is averse to it. Just don't plan to vacation together, and avoid the topic/ change the subject if it reads its head

Edited by mom says
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, mom says said:

Why would anyone get defensive about cruising, or feel the need to defend it? Everyone is entitled to their opinions and to their preferred ways of vacationing. Just as I would not appreciate someone trying to convince me that travelling and living in a cramped RV and staying at campsites is the best vacation ever, I would not impose my preference for cruising on someone who is averse to it. Just don't plan to vacation together, and avoid the topic/ change the subject if it reads its head

Because people say "I can't believe you'd ever get on a ship again." Things of that nature. Of course one can say "Well, I can" and change the subject, but it's usually an opportunity to enlighten people. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We just booked a December cruise to replace the one we should be on right now.  If need be, perhaps the December cruise will be cancelled some time in the future.  In the meantime I do have two more - one in March 2021 also - to look forward to!  Makes me a happy person.

• Like 2

I have also been annoyed by some of the recent criticisms of the cruise industry.  In particular, the comedian/satirist Bill Maher basically thinks cruises should be outlawed.  I read his commentary on this and it was filled with inaccuracies.  Despite the valid environmental concerns and some blatant violations of environmental regulations (looking at you, Carnival Corp.), it has been my experience that most of the people I know who "hate" cruising have never been on one.  I have another friend who is quite the snob who went on her first cruise last year on Celebrity around the Mediterranean with her adult son and his family and admitted upon her return that she had a great time. But now she's back to saying she doesn't "get" cruising.

But I don't really care. To each his/her/their own.

That said, I'm actually not sure when I will feel comfortable getting back on a cruise ship because of COVID-19 (or a plane, hotel room, crowded gathering of any kind).  I may have to wait until there's a vaccine because of my age (63) and some immune-suppressing medications I take for inflammatory arthritis.  We are booked on the Reflection next January for an 11-night cruise to the ABC islands and Cartagena, and while I'm not canceling yet I am just not sure we'll be able to risk a cruise with several thousand guests and crew from around the world in nine months.  I hope I have reason to change my mind before the October cancellation date but a lot of medical experts say we are looking at 18 months before everyone can safely stop social distancing.  We are also booked on the Apex in January 2022.  Looking forward to that! But forlorn about possibly not cruising sooner. At least we got in a fantastic cruise on the Silhouette in Feb/March, just before the cruise lines were shut down.  And we survived! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sakigemcam said:

Because people say "I can't believe you'd ever get on a ship again." Things of that nature. Of course one can say "Well, I can" and change the subject, but it's usually an opportunity to enlighten people. 

Exactly!  It is a whole different conversation now than it was before the whole Covid-19 thing came up (although there were always some who thought every ship sailing was a floating norovirus incubator, thanks to inflammatory news reporting and little attention to facts ).  It has gone from just differing in opinion to outright insulting cruisers.  I plan to ignore it and sail again when it is safe to do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

It has been a very difficult time for both passengers and cruise lines alike....

I fully understand your position.

bon voyage

We are long time cruisers.   Not a cruise hater  or defender but time  for us to re-explore  some alternates.

We had a great experience at a Sandals Resort in the Bahamas...post Sandy hurricane.  We were   mentally exhausted and wiped out.  Sometimes cruises are alot of work and often we get  too busy!  We actually cancelled a cruise and tried Sandals.

For the AIC... we took a limo to JFK, had a short plane ride and were picked up by limo at the very nice and clean airport in Nassau.  We checked in with the Concierge at the resort who handled all our bags, dining  res, in rm top shelf bar choices,  included excursions and activities, etc.  We were truly pampered for the week..The resort was outstanding... had a great spa,  good music,  excellent dining, etc and had an offshore  island retreat  with 2 beaches, pool, and island restaurant all included. Our large room had an ocean view from the balcony, spa sized bathroom and many upgrades from the typical stateroom on a cruise

We met a great internationally diverse group of people of all ages. Next  time ( post virus era) we will try the Sandals Bahamas ( Eleuthra?)  golf resort , looks awesome.   Perhaps  our Sandals  experience is similar to suite life on X but our costs were equal to our usual AQ class fare..only extra was the spa and shopping!

Bo  I think your group might really enjoy something like that!

We are also lucky enough to have a vacation home in Florida that is in a nature  preserve  with a stunning resort all in one spot.  Looking better as time goes on...

We  are also  happy we have friends,   co workers and family who never make us defend  our vacation choice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could care less what others think about cruising . We like it and will continue when this is over.

Having sailed on several Lines , we prefer Celebrity even though ( really , because  ) they don't have a belly flop contest, the fastest to drink 6 bottles of beer down a spout contest, or the sexy legs contest ( I just lost my appetite ). 

Coming from extremely cold country, we love unpacking once , don't have to ask directions , don't have to ask where to go, where there is a good restaurant , how far it is to the nearest " theme " park or antique shop, or hear " slow down, you're driving too fast " every two minutes. 

We enjoy a pleasant atmosphere, on a clean ship , excellent accommodations , eating excellent food , receiving very good service, visiting new places ( ????? ) and meeting some new friends. 

LOL--- And to think how lucky we have been regarding shopping--- Every time we have gone into a store ( any island ) , that is the day that they have the highest discounts and best prices . I could have purchased a Rolex watch for $ 125.00 -- No joke, the salesman told me it was real. What a mistake I made-- Rolex was even spelled correctly .

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sakigemcam said:

Honestly, I don't think getting defensive is useful at this point, and the industry hasn't done itself any favors with the cruising or non-cruising public. Six months from now, sure. But right now, smile and move on. No one is getting enlightened. "We really enjoy it, but understand other's concerns". is probably the best approach.

We're going to go four years between cruises for the first time. I had a 3-4 year stretch of work related European travel the DW was able to accompany me on, and we really enjoyed the land-based vacations. We were supposed to be on Edge next month, but had to push that back before Christmas for personal health considerations before COVID-19 really hit. But assuming that all sorts out, we'll be cruising again, just in 2022.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

We are long time cruisers.   Not a cruise hater  or defender but time  for us to re-explore  some alternates.

We had a great experience at a Sandals Resort in the Bahamas...post Sandy hurricane.  We were   mentally exhausted and wiped out.  Sometimes cruises are alot of work and often we get  too busy!  We actually cancelled a cruise and tried Sandals.

For the AIC... we took a limo to JFK, had a short plane ride and were picked up by limo at the very nice and clean airport in Nassau.  We checked in with the Concierge at the resort who handled all our bags, dining  res, in rm top shelf bar choices,  included excursions and activities, etc.  We were truly pampered for the week..The resort was outstanding... had a great spa,  good music,  excellent dining, etc and had an offshore  island retreat  with 2 beaches, pool, and island restaurant all included. Our large room had an ocean view from the balcony, spa sized bathroom and many upgrades from the typical stateroom on a cruise

Which Sandals did you visit?  I have been wanting to try one of the ones in the Bahamas..thanks..

The only time I ever got Norovirus, I called the doctor and asked "WHERE did this come from?" She asked, "Have you been on a plane lately?" Why yes, I had just returned 2 days prior. No sailing vessel in sight. 

And that was when Lysol wipes came into my life.....

11 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Which Sandals did you visit?  I have been wanting to try one of the ones in the Bahamas..thanks..

SANDALS ROYAL BAHAMIAN

I  am going through the brochure now.   Dh is excited we may return...

Also Sandals is family owned , and  seems to have very happy employees.at least back then.. Go Concierge or Suite

Correction..  golf resort is on Exuma

We have 2 cruises booked but EXUMA may be next!

Edited by hcat

Two minutes ago listened to CNBC report on 3 cruise ships heading to Miami with over 100 sick aboard.  Announcers irate that ships are still sailing and with Miami beginning to feel Corona strain they don't need cruise ships dumping additional sick on their doorstep.  Can understand why industry gets no sympathy from public. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

SANDALS ROYAL BAHAMIAN

I actually am going through the brochire now.  Also Sandals is family owned and  seems to have very happy employees.at least back then.. Go Concierge or Suite

Correction..  golf resort is on Exuma

If you are looking for golf, also consider La Toc in St. Lucia. Just outside Castries, you can wave to the cruise ships as they depart the island.IMG_2019.jpeg.e43704df3fb3c5ee1d5db868f36376cc.jpeg 

35 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I have also been annoyed by some of the recent criticisms of the cruise industry.  In particular, the comedian/satirist Bill Maher basically thinks cruises should be outlawed.  I read his commentary on this and it was filled with inaccuracies.  Despite the valid environmental concerns and some blatant violations of environmental regulations (looking at you, Carnival Corp.), it has been my experience that most of the people I know who "hate" cruising have never been on one. 

THIS.

I can add to the list of TV personalities, Stephanie Ruhle and Joe Scarborough, who also went on rants against Cruise lines and their ships. I'm quite sure none of them have ever been on a cruise either. Hearing the remarks made by all three (including Bill Maher) made me incensed. People without any personal experience on a subject should get off their high horses and stop using their “celebrity” status to try and influence an industry. If they don’t like cruising, fine, to each his own, but don’t bash someone else’s form of recreation.

Sorry, rant over. 😕

I'm going back to the joke thread now..... ✌🏻

• Like 3