Constellation "Revolution"

Gracie115

On 5/8/2020 at 6:37 PM, WonderMan3 said:

Not sure where in Asia that Millennium got the update, but Summit was done in Freeport. Equinox was supposed to get done there as well but a crane accident put that drydock area out of commission for awhile (with potentially further damage from Hurricane Dorian). Equinox then had to have a truncated refurb done in Cadiz, Spain, which is also where Silhouette had its update done.

Millenium got it's drydock in Singapore.

On 4/10/2020 at 8:54 AM, yorky said:

I know, you are very pessimistic about the future  of cruising, I think it’s just too good a product and will go from strength to strength. Nothing wrong with different opinions, that’s what keeps online forums interesting.

I like the way you think.  It is human nature to veer towards the worst possible option.  Anyone who has spent much time on these boards over the years knows this. 

I'm an analyst and numbers guy.  Just food for thought, what if this virus drys up over summer and goes away?   This is what happened with the SARS-Corona virus. Or what if a treatment filters out from all this.  The virus itself doesn't kill you, it is the bodies reaction to the virus in some people that kills them.  It causes the immune system to turn on the body. Once that was discovered by doctors aligned with several universities they have been very successful in treating patients.  The CDC recommendation of ventilators and no steroid treatments probably killed many patients because it was taking a bellows to a fire. What if there is no "second wave" which is not a thing for viruses historically.  The so called second wave of the spanish flu was in the same flu season.  Not two different winters.  Antibiotics were not discovered nor was the first ventilator invented.  one percent of american households had indoor plumbing so sanitation left something to be desired. On top of that most of our medical workers were in europe taking part in the WWI effort.

Anyway, I know many cruisers are in the segment that have significant risk and should probably stay away from public places in general. But if the first rounds of cruises are successful they will be attractive once again.  My daughter works for the airlines and people are coming back.  It is not a rush but it is coming back.  Out here in Oregon, according to state data, people showing up at Emergency Departments, with covid-like symptoms is lower than last January and has been since mid-April.

No one knows what will happen but I do know that there are optimistic scenarios that are just as likely as the projected worst scenarios.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tedw said:

I like the way you think.  It is human nature to veer towards the worst possible option.  Anyone who has spent much time on these boards over the years knows this. 

I'm an analyst and numbers guy.  Just food for thought, what if this virus drys up over summer and goes away?   This is what happened with the SARS-Corona virus. Or what if a treatment filters out from all this.  The virus itself doesn't kill you, it is the bodies reaction to the virus in some people that kills them.  It causes the immune system to turn on the body. Once that was discovered by doctors aligned with several universities they have been very successful in treating patients.  The CDC recommendation of ventilators and no steroid treatments probably killed many patients because it was taking a bellows to a fire. What if there is no "second wave" which is not a thing for viruses historically.  The so called second wave of the spanish flu was in the same flu season.  Not two different winters.  Antibiotics were not discovered nor was the first ventilator invented.  one percent of american households had indoor plumbing so sanitation left something to be desired. On top of that most of our medical workers were in europe taking part in the WWI effort.

Anyway, I know many cruisers are in the segment that have significant risk and should probably stay away from public places in general. But if the first rounds of cruises are successful they will be attractive once again.  My daughter works for the airlines and people are coming back.  It is not a rush but it is coming back.  Out here in Oregon, according to state data, people showing up at Emergency Departments, with covid-like symptoms is lower than last January and has been since mid-April.

No one knows what will happen but I do know that there are optimistic scenarios that are just as likely as the projected worst scenarios.

Nothing wrong with glass half full, and yes we can be optimistic while still understanding what’s going on around us. People can post “facts” as often as they like but absolutely no one can know for sure where we are going to be in a couple of years time with regards to cruising. It’s all just predictions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tedw said:

Not saying that it will dry up like Sars, but they really need to look at Florida and why it never go too out of control down there compared to other states. I could be wrong on this, but the impression I have is they were one of the least restrictive states and yet they were much better off than states like New York. They do get international travelers too for things like cruises and Disney, maybe not as many as New York though.

Not sure if it is the climate or what, but they should try and figure it out. Hoping for a hot and humid summer here and will use the air conditioning sparingly this year.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tedw said:

Medical experts are focussed on science-based projections, and no reputable authority is forecasting the type of optimistic scenario that you are espousing. Dry up and disappear this summer? Really? That's not optimism, it's ignoring cold, hard reality. My glass is half full, and I know that I will return to enjoying my cruises; just not any time soon. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Medical experts are focussed on science-based projections, and no reputable authority is forecasting the type of optimistic scenario that you are espousing. Dry up and disappear this summer? Really? That's not optimism, it's ignoring cold, hard reality. My glass is half full, and I know that I will return to enjoying my cruises; just not any time soon. 

Its not ignoring science, Sars did just pretty much disappear. Is it likely this will as well, guess is not, but one could hope. In the mean time study the heck out of it and why in some places it isn't as bad and see if we can use that info to shape smarter policies moving forward for dealing with it until a vaccine is found.

• Like 1

Don't forget that most of the attractions in Florida including beaches, Disney and otehr attractions closed.  Beaches are just now reopening.  Restrictions are just now starting to be lifted in South Florida.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

Its not ignoring science, Sars did just pretty much disappear. Is it likely this will as well, guess is not, but one could hope. In the mean time study the heck out of it and why in some places it isn't as bad and see if we can use that info to shape smarter policies moving forward for dealing with it until a vaccine is found.

It took over a year for it to fade out IIRC. That would be November of this year at the earliest, but this virus is much more contagious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

It took over a year for it to fade out IIRC. That would be November of this year at the earliest, but this virus is much more contagious.

I don't think it will, but it will be interesting to see what happens if we ever warm up, which at least here I am not convinced we will be able to put together a warm week lol.

On 5/15/2020 at 10:31 AM, cgolf1 said:

Not saying that it will dry up like Sars, but they really need to look at Florida and why it never go too out of control down there compared to other states. I could be wrong on this, but the impression I have is they were one of the least restrictive states and yet they were much better off than states like New York. They do get international travelers too for things like cruises and Disney, maybe not as many as New York though.

Not sure if it is the climate or what, but they should try and figure it out. Hoping for a hot and humid summer here and will use the air conditioning sparingly this year.

Climate may have helped, no doubt.  The state and counties were almost immediately aggressive in getting into nursing homes and assisted living facilities placing restrictions on visitors and providing PPE for them.. This helped slow down the spread in those places where it usually runs rampant.  Also there are so many senior citizens in Florida that it appears at least some of them began "isolating" on their own before any orders went out, am sure that helped reduce the spread as well.  We are very grateful that thus far we have escaped a situation like NY. 

Florida, except for Miami-Dade, Orlando and Tampa is mostly rural: cattle ranching and citrus.  We live 40 miles northeast of Tampa and its very quiet especially with the snowbirds having flown home.  In addition, Florida's governor has been falsifying data related to COVID-19 cases and deaths - he recently fired his COVID-19 data manager for NOT fabricating more positive numbers.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Florida, except for Miami-Dade, Orlando and Tampa is mostly rural: cattle ranching and citrus.  We live 40 miles northeast of Tampa and its very quiet especially with the snowbirds having flown home.  In addition, Florida's governor has been falsifying data related to COVID-19 cases and deaths - he recently fired his COVID-19 data manager for NOT fabricating more positive numbers.  

That is what she claims, there is no proof one way or the other about her claims.  

Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Jacksonville, Melbourne, Tallahassee, Gainesville, Naples,  are certainly not rural.  While the center of the state has a lot rural areas, there are still 21 MILLION people in the state.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

That is what she claims, there is no proof one way or the other about her claims.  

Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Jacksonville, Melbourne, Tallahassee, Gainesville, Naples,  are certainly not rural.  While the center of the state has a lot rural areas, there are still 21 MILLION people in the state.  

Best to stay in your shell.  She was fired for NOT creating COVID-19 related data.  The governor has NOT claimed otherwise.

Florida remains very rural except for a few areas of population concentration.

Here is a link to Florida's website which can be used to get a perspective on where the COVID-19 threat lies (pun intended).  Remember, all data since about 3 May has been falsified.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Best to stay in your shell.  She was fired for NOT creating COVID-19 related data.  The governor has NOT claimed otherwise.

Florida remains very rural except for a few areas of population concentration.

Here is a link to Florida's website which can be used to get a perspective on where the COVID-19 threat lies (pun intended).  Remember, all data since about 3 May has been falsified.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429

Excuse me??? Stay in my shell?  

I have been following that link you posted daily for nearly two months.

Get your facts straight, yes he has claimed otherwise: https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/05/florida-gov-says-he-fired-su-grad-for-cyberstalking-not-coronavirus-data-allegations.html

I've lived in Florida for 40 years, there are many rural areas, there are also LARGE cities and many good sized towns, I forgot to mention Vero Beach, St. Augustine, Ft. Pierce, Ocala, Pensacola among many others.  Yes, there are rural areas, but the majority of the population live in the towns and cities.

Edited by Gracie115

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

Excuse me??? Stay in my shell?  

I have been following that link you posted daily for nearly two months.

Get your facts straight, yes he has claimed otherwise: https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/05/florida-gov-says-he-fired-su-grad-for-cyberstalking-not-coronavirus-data-allegations.html

I've lived in Florida for 40 years, there are many rural areas, there are also LARGE cities and many good sized towns, I forgot to mention Vero Beach, St. Augustine, Ft. Pierce, Ocala, Pensacola among many others.  Yes, there are rural areas, but the majority of the population live in the towns and cities.

The link wasn't for you, rather for others not living in Florida.

You avatar is a shell, n'est-ce pas?

She has much more credibility than DeSantis.  Sorry.  After USA TODAY Network first reported Jones' removal from her position in charge of the Florida COVID-19 Data and Surveillance Dashboard she created, she confirmed, as reported by CBS-12 in West Palm Beach that she was fired because she was ordered to censor some data, but refused to "manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen."

For about a month sources have been mentioning that Florida has been manipulating the numbers in addition to not detailing many who have died from COVID-19 as dying from the virus.  Sad, but true.  Should be that way with any governmental body.  Florida has a grand tradition of obfuscation.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WNcruiser said:

I hope they don't lock this thread, because it is WAY off topic. We were discussing if/when the Constellation will be revolutionized. There are plenty of other threads to discuss COVID-19.

And these posts are dancing on the political line which is against CC rules.

• Like 2

Please, let's get back on the topic of tracking Connie to see if they Revolutionize her before she starts sailing again.   Thanks all.  Bon Voyage for all those cruisers hoping to get back to sea this year. 

• Like 2

Received an e mail from Cruise Critic with a link  to  Article about how Royal C may   gradually start up again... Among many interesting points, one that caught my attention was that it is easier to fill portions of newer ships  and  break even, than  by using older ships...and that older ships might be let go...but not right away.  Made  me think of Constellation...esp as she will not be refurbished anytime soon.

Article was worth reading...here's the link

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5359/

Edited by hcat

Summit has no sailings published after the NE/Canada 2021.   Carribean 2021/2022 season was launched for about 2 hrs on Dec 3, 2019 and then recalled and hasn't shown since.   I was wondering if they were planning on it leaving the fleet.   If they don't referb Infinity and/or Connie I wonder if they would keep Summit and have it do Connie or Infinity itineraries.

15 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Summit has no sailings published after the NE/Canada 2021.   Carribean 2021/2022 season was launched for about 2 hrs on Dec 3, 2019 and then recalled and hasn't shown since.   I was wondering if they were planning on it leaving the fleet.   If they don't referb Infinity and/or Connie I wonder if they would keep Summit and have it do Connie or Infinity itineraries.

Summit Caribbean for 2022 was there when I looked just now.

20 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

What will they do if they don’t refurbish Connie?  Cancel cruises and sell her off?  I see good bookings in Europe in the Fall of next year on her. I can’t see them cancelling the cruises but what do I know. 

As noted earlier:  Sell off?  To whom?  Which other cruise line won't be in exactly the same boat?  Pun definitely intended.  Given its potential future value, more likely they will place it in a form of 'long term dry dock' if not back into service.

What some of you may have noted is that for some time, Celebrity has shown a before/after deck plan set.  You click on a date range in the upper right corner of the deck plan schematic.  At this time, there are no deck plan changes (e.g,. same cabin classes, Michael's is still Michael's) through April 2021.  The 18 March 2019 - 1 April 2020 plan looks exactly the same as the 21 May 2020 - 3 April 2021 plan.  Note that the refit should have been completed prior to the 21 May sailing.

That obviously doesn't assure anything one way or the other, but I would not expect to see a Revolution until after 3 April 2021 based upon the unmodified deck plan. 

Edited by canderson
typos
  • Like 1