Constellation "Revolution"

Gracie115

I'm hoping that with crew on board that they're doing touch ups on the rust spots,  railings, rugs, bathrooms, etc.  I would like to think that Celebrity is wisely utilizing their crews to do this on their idle ships,  especially the ships where they have postponed the refurb.  We might be pleasantly surprised to not see as much wear and tear on the older ships when we board!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Luv2Crus40 said:

We're sailing 12/13.  We're more than happy to sail on Connie unrevolutized.   We sailed Summit post prefab and other than new beds and shower doors, didn't care for the refurbishment.   Of course we're probably in the minority.

We're sailing in early Jan (I hope!).  We are very disappointed as we are doing 21 days on a B2B in a Sky Suite which we usually cannot afford, but got a great deal right when they repositioned.  Was so very much looking forward to using the Retreat Deck.  Oh well.  Unlike you, we really liked almost everything done to the Summit.  Loved the new beds and shower doors.  Thought the storage in the cabin was much better.  Loved the new buffet (although who knows what will happen with that now).  The only thing we really didn't like was how they converted Michaels Club (yes, we snagged a suite deal on that cruise also).  It was very cold and uncomfortable.  I was actually expecting not to like the refurb but I was very pleasantly surprised overall.  It did not seem as cold and modern looking as I feared from the pictures.

3 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

We love the M class ships too, but they are older and tired and definitely need some changes.  The last time we were on Connie which was a couple of years ago the balcony area was rusting, the shower was horrible, the room was tired.  We LOVE what we've seen on the Millie and Summit refurbs.  I will say the "chair" they have placed in some of the rooms instead of the small sofa/loveseat looks stupid but everything else looked great.

Just our opinion, the good thing is with the postponement of the refurb on Connie & Infinity there's something for everyone to like in the "M" class.  

Agree with you fully on wanting the refurbishment.  I know everyone is entitled to their preference but it is hard for me to believe people prefer a beat up cabin to one with a new bathroom, beds, and carpet.  I also agree with you that since some M class ships have been revolutionized and some haven't it still leaves people to choose which they like.  The only problem is if one was interested in say doing Panama Canal cruise as part of a bucket list, there is no choice right now away to selecting a revolutionized ship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luv2Crus40 said:

I'm hoping that with crew on board that they're doing touch ups on the rust spots,  railings, rugs, bathrooms, etc.  I would like to think that Celebrity is wisely utilizing their crews to do this on their idle ships,  especially the ships where they have postponed the refurb.  We might be pleasantly surprised to not see as much wear and tear on the older ships when we board!

I think that will depend on how many stay on the ship(s) if they are in layup.

I saw one ship that will have a total of around 45 crew on board.  When you take into account bridge crew, engine crew, engineering, a cook and assistant  and the like which are required for operation, I don't know how many would be left for maintenance.

3 hours ago, Luv2Crus40 said:

Let's hope so!  

So much of the minor work doesn't need a dry-dock.  

8 hours ago, aftforsure said:

Thanks for your input.  First, to answer your question we are in Florida.  Secondly, I am confused. You say your cruise booked is in October but when I read the info on Cruise with Confidence it seems to only apply to cancelling cruises up until September.  We did have a booking for the cruise from Venice to Barcelona and the on to Tampa but cancelled that quite a while back. Have the Christmas Panama Canal Touch but we would back out if we get word that there will be no Revolution done to the Constellation. Highly unlikely that it happens.  

Not sure that the US terms are the same, but for sure, we were able to change to next year if we wanted. 

Screenshot_20200522-205822_Chrome.jpg

Almost all work on a ship doesn't need a "Dry Dock" just a ship yard. The only need of a dry dock is to work on the hull below the water line, like defouling the hull, working on the propulsion units (Azipods) or thrusters. repainting below the water line etc.

If they lay up a ship it won't be in "dry dock" it will be at a moorage or along side somewhere.

If for instance they lay up Constellation she will not be tying up a dry dock somewhere and if they wanted to do some routine maintenance she doesn't need a dry dock for that either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, canderson said:

All well and good if the same cruise is being offered.  They have been sticklers for direct match-ups, and in many cases, those don't exist.

We found a perfect match up for our Jan 2021 cruise  ( Jan 2022, same itin, on Connie from Tampa).  Our fcc Certificate  clearly says it must be sailed on by Dec 31, 2020..Not sure they would extend that..???????

And if Connie might be phased out, we might have a better chance with the existing booking in 2021. If we didn't have the fcc we would feel less stress over possible cancellation of the 2021 cruise...

20 hours ago, Luv2Crus40 said:

Most of the crew who have been stuck onboard for the last couple of months are not getting paid so I doubt they have been volunteering to do maintenance.   Like others have said, those remaining on the payroll have essential jobs and will be keeping up with major preventive maintenance but I doubt any cosmetic passenger facing stuff will be done.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Luv2Crus40 said:

Some paint here and there is not enough, Constellation is in need of a full refurbishment which is the job of the workers at the shipyard. Some painting here and there would not help anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

We found a perfect match up for our Jan 2021 cruise  ( Jan 2022, same itin, on Connie from Tampa).  Our fcc Certificate  clearly says it must be sailed on by Dec 31, 2020..Not sure they would extend that..???????

And if Connie might be phased out, we might have a better chance with the existing booking in 2021. If we didn't have the fcc we would feel less stress over possible cancellation of the 2021 cruise...

we used the lift/switch and moved from our dec 2020 to dec 2021. we asked them for a november sailing, but they would not allow that as is did not fit within their four week maximum window...We agreed to the dec 21 date and are so glad that we got to keep our price, obc's, cabin etc....the connie sails our of tampa twice on the 10 day itinerary non-holiday sailing in dec of 21 and it worked out nicely for us. Hope you guys can get a good match for your needs...wish you well....My only concern now is if the connie will still be sailing out of tampa next year, certantly hope so because we hate the drive to miami or ft lauderdale...

14 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Some paint here and there is not enough, Constellation is in need of a full refurbishment which is the job of the workers at the shipyard. Some painting here and there would not help anymore.

we sailed on the explorer of the seas in jan 2020 and she too needed more than some painting, but with the current state of affairs, these refurbishments just aren't going to happen...As i said in another thread, celebrity will keep a ship in tampa, because the ships that sail out of there are money makers and they figured that out...after all of the time that we have been bottle up in our home here in florida, i would settle on a cruise on a 16 foot runabout right now.....wish you well.

Any word on the opening of shipyards in Europe so that refurbishment or revolution can happen?   I know that money is an issue but for Connie, they have already procured the supplies since she was set to “revolt “ in May. Now they need the manpower to do the work....... wishful thinking on my part. 

I still work, as a secretary, so we pick our cruises for value and itineraries (with as many sea says as possible) during a week or two of vacation time each year.  We love cruising so as long as we're at sea with a balcony cabin, decent food, good service and interesting entertainment we're happy.  Our first cruises were on Cunard's QM2.  Loved the whole ocean liner ambiance and found some of that with the Celebrity Summit "M" class ship. Now trying the Connie out of Tampa this December to be in the warm caribbean.

55 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Any word on the opening of shipyards in Europe so that refurbishment or revolution can happen?   I know that money is an issue but for Connie, they have already procured the supplies since she was set to “revolt “ in May. Now they need the manpower to do the work....... wishful thinking on my part. 

You raise a good point.  Given the original schedule for the Revolution, you have to bet that all of the soft goods, furniture, etc. were already procured and warehoused, ready for installation.  That's a pile of money already spent, sitting in a warehouse somewhere.  However, the 'mechanical' changes (addition of new cabins, etc.) are all part of that same program, and that's going to have a large labor ticket associated with it, and won't be done in just any facility.  The balance between money already spent and the labor costs associated with this work will unquestionably make the decision for RCCL.  It's my feeling that the additional spend necessary for the labor is going to be the deal breaker, and that materiel is just going to sit in a warehouse somewhere until the financial picture improves.

As I gather from some other posts, the feeling was that Cadiz was going to be the port used for refit.  This Revolution was scheduled as a "major dry dock" operation.  Have tried in any number of ways to ascertain the status of the Cadiz facility, but not finding any info anywhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Any word on the opening of shipyards in Europe so that refurbishment or revolution can happen? 

Just looked again, and assuming that Navantia will be doing the work, still can't establish what kind of work schedule exists there. 

6 hours ago, retired dude said:

we sailed on the explorer of the seas in jan 2020 and she too needed more than some painting, but with the current state of affairs, these refurbishments just aren't going to happen...As i said in another thread, celebrity will keep a ship in tampa, because the ships that sail out of there are money makers and they figured that out...after all of the time that we have been bottle up in our home here in florida, i would settle on a cruise on a 16 foot runabout right now.....wish you well.

I guess on both ships they did the absolute minimum and even less because the ships were due for a major refurbishment. Given that thr Amplification / Revolution was cancelled there are still certain areas that will require some work that the ships don't look to be in a bad conition. For Connie she might just be taken out of the fleet but for Explorer this is not planned at all.

11 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Unsolicited comment from our TA: "Connie is unlikely to be available for February out of Tampa."  No reason offered.  We are booked on Connie February 2021.

Then you need to phone Celebrity and let them know you have been told this. There will be others on here on the same cruise who will now be very worried.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yorky said:

Then you need to phone Celebrity and let them know you have been told this. There will be others on here on the same cruise who will now be very worried.

The call centers are useless they don't know anything. You will find information first on CC before you get vali information from them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Unsolicited comment from our TA: "Connie is unlikely to be available for February out of Tampa."  No reason offered.  We are booked on Connie February 2021.

Oh, great.  To me, this statement is saying that our Christmas 2020 cruise will prob sail as planned, but Celebrity won’t be doing ANY updating beforehand.  

Some ppl have posted that the ship is in dire need of some renovations.  I can handle shower curtains VS glass doors, but I will be very disappointed in Celebrity if the carpets are stained/dirty, the decks are peeling/rusty or if furniture is very worn/tired looking.

I  just wonder what they are going to do when people book staterooms that won't be installed without the refit.  

For example, those three new 06 category staterooms on Deck 3 in replace of the restrooms.  Also, the 2C's on Deck 10.  🍷