Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Dad sent me this photo recently Taken by his friend near his property in Northern NSW.  After all the sad bushfire photos, it’s wonderful to see such a big healthy koala  in the bush.842D917C-3A51-4817-B348-BB26A5F4B0F0.thumb.jpeg.a96d31dca82fe979bade7fdf4ab9dd78.jpeg

Thank you for the photo.

Koala was the mascot of our HS in NY.

I am not sure of the significance of this mascot choice, but that a koala is a cute

animal and our HS name was shortened to CK from Christ the King. K also being the letter for koala.

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 4

10 hours ago, George C said:

Started day good found our my brain tumor is still the same small size as it was two years ago. Also our favorite football team Buffalo Bills had a great win against the defending super bowl winner .

But super down my mom is in the hospital for last few days and sick to return to her apartment since she will need around the clock care , she is 96 and had no pain before recent problems, I doubt she will be around much longer , luckily my sister and her family are there . She will be extremely unhappy with nursing home or hospice which she will need . 

Glad to hear your good report on the tumor, but so sorry about your mom. 😞

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jagsfan said:

There was so much to say I didn’t want to get started. 
Traumatic 90 minutes trying to do our COVID test. 
Trapped in an outdoor elevator on a hot August day in Pompano Beach. 
Great Allure cruise till we got sick. 
Tested positive after we got home. 
Been sick ever since. 
When I feel better I’ll explain. 
Still sick, both of us, but not seriously ill. 
Thanks for letting me know you noticed!

Mimi

Oh my goodness, that's a lot. I hope you both feel much better soon. 😞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers.  It will not be a short journey.  Every two weeks for the next six weeks, then every week until Mid January, then surgery.  They say side effects will get progressively worse.  And after yesterday, things may have just become more complicated.  More on that later.

I'm so sorry for how long and difficult her journey sounds like it will be. I sincerely hope that she will make it through with flying colors and enjoy many healthy years to come.

• Like 4

Yesterday started out as an almost normal day.  Since I had been doing so much work around my daughter’s house, a few things at my house kept getting put off.  So with three sunny days in the forecast, I thought it would be the perfect day to seal my asphalt driveway.  I had picked up the 5 gallon buckets of it ( which has also been hit with container downsizing, since they are now 4.75 gallon containers). End result, I had to buy more than normal. 

While Susan went to daughter’s house to help her, I spent five hours on my drive.  We went to the lake in the afternoon, and had a nice walk, just the two of us.  

Saw this squirrel 

AF897501-E716-4FBA-95B5-8B80852F3235.thumb.jpeg.a0f7fd5673741b1086dfe8181a20628f.jpeg

who didn’t want anything to do with this black squirrel, so he chased him away. 

3366BE1A-E1DA-4818-82DA-902DDAB0C607.thumb.jpeg.4fc466b46d28151e9a648ce85f9e6ef6.jpeg

Then, it was a relaxing supper, with one of our lo-cal pizzas.  I know, it doesn’t look as nice as a Sorento’s pizza, but it is actually pretty good.  Thin crust, ranch dressing for the sauce, cauliflower, broccoli, olives, banana peppers, chicken and mozzarella cheese. 

EEAA7B5B-A1E5-4EAD-BC15-11B517EF98EC.thumb.jpeg.e9d1fde403e7abc9fe63b7ab84bba120.jpeg

Then some time in our hot tub to enjoy one of these. 

6643B250-122F-4C06-9B53-193CE55DD06B.thumb.jpeg.34ad5a70828bb09b5ac17d13706c2585.jpeg

And one of these. 

3352949A-897F-4D46-B5BF-B66F90A878CF.thumb.jpeg.f54bb6854c2b7a5ba70b55dc67e6e791.jpeg

I was trying to do red, white and blue with that second drink, but I got lazy and didn’t blend and crush the ice. And I might have overdone the kraken.  But it sure did taste good.  

So things almost sound normal 

And then……………

• Like 18

16 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Thank you for explaining.

Both Jack and I grew up with no AC.  Me, in NY, he in Israel.  Our 1st apt., thankfully had ac.  We bought my parents an ac window unit which I suspect was hardly used.  They said it was too cold!

I had a weird experience at the Kroger deli counter.  This could almost have happened to Sue

@LionesssI know she could tell it better:

Me:  Can I please have 1/2 pound Boar's Head Genoa salami sliced thin?

DL (deli lady): Did not respond and seemed to not understand.

Me: I repeated, spoke louder and slower

DL: No response but took out the roast beef.

Me: No that's not salami as I commenced to point to it in the showcase.

DL:  No response but took out different roast beef

Me: Can you please come around to my side so I can show you the salami I want?

DL: No response and took out garlic baloney

Me: Jack come here and help us please?  Leave it to a guy with an Israeli accent to get through to her.

Me:   Now I'll have 1/2 pound of lemon pepper turkey

DL:  Finally got it right after 2 failed attempts taking out other deli meat

Me: (after I had everything in my cart) Excuse me, can I have 1/3 pound of the lemon pepper turkey you just gave me

DL; We don't have that

Me: You just cut 1/2 pound.  I picked up the pkg from my cart and showed it to her.

DL: She just shrugged her shoulders

Me: Have a nice day, walking away in disbelief.

If this was 50 years ago, I bet I would have been on Candid Camera.

We were in a rush to get home. Should I have reported her? I feel the store was at fault, not her personally or maybe I have a soft heart🤨

This was my conversation while putting my groceries in the car

Homeless man: Do you have any cash?

Me: I'm sorry, I don't

HM: Can you drive me to Burger King?

Me: No, but you are more than welcome to take something out of my bags

HM: I WANT BURGER KING!

Me: Sorry

HM: F*** you, as he walks away.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

This was my conversation while putting my groceries in the car

Homeless man: Do you have any cash?

Me: I'm sorry, I don't

HM: Can you drive me to Burger King?

Me: No, but you are more than welcome to take something out of my bags

HM: I WANT BURGER KING!

Me: Sorry

I had a somewhat similar experience a couple of years ago in a CVS pharmacy parking lot.  There's a gas station across the street and a guy approached me saying that he's out of gas and left his wallet at home.  He wondered if I could give him money for gas.  I said that I'd be happy to use my credit card at the gas pump.  He also said f*** you and walked away.  

• Like 6

In regards to helping others in need.

Yes, I am sure I have been taken by those with a hand out saying they are in need.

But, with age comes experience, some good some bad, some good judgement, some bad judgement.

But with that experience who is to say, you really learned from the past.

Do we really become wiser with age???

I think it is a combination of learning from the past and adapting that knowledge to the future.

Oh please do not take me wrong.  I am far from being  a saint and made many a mistake in life, that I am not proud of, but, at least I learned from my mistakes and did not ruin my future by doing something really stupid.  

My biggest claim to shame is what is called the "NURSE CURSE"

Before becoming a Nurse Anesthetist, I was a Critical Care Registered Nurse and 8 of those  10 years I was a Head Nurse.  

With the stress, came the smoking.

Yes, I never started smoking till I was 23.

Looking back on it I used to buy a carton of Cigarettes ever other week.

By the time I quit smoking 11 years ago, (noon, on May 20, 2011)   I was spending $150 a  month trying to kill myself with the dangers of smoking.

So, now that I can live free of my addiction, I daily Thank God that I was able to quit cold turkey. 

No drugs, no patches; just will power.

So since I wasted  money on my habit for all those years, I figure I can be thankful and help those with that money I trashed for years.

It balances out over the 12 months.

Between helping the rescue mission, can food drives, donating basked to for Chinese raffles. 

Thanksgiving meals, as well as donating our schools scholarship funds.

It is my way of giving back.

For me it is like a breath of fresh air.

Once again, thanks for letting me YIP on.

Take care

Be safe

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

My first “and then……” from a somewhat normal day.

I hear from my sister, that my nephew is in the hospital.  He had arthroscopic knee surgery last week, and he woke up to a very swollen knee.   The hospital drained a lot of fluid, and thought it was a staph infection that will need IV antibiotics.  Four to six weeks of IV antibiotics, and they are testing to see if it got in his bloodstream. 

I think this is his third knee surgery, and he is only 38.  That is a lot for such a young age, but it stems from a football injury when he was younger.  Hopefully they will get it under control.

Sometimes it feels like the family is jinxed.

And then……..

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I had a somewhat similar experience a couple of years ago in a CVS pharmacy parking lot.  There's a gas station across the street and a guy approached me saying that he's out of gas and left his wallet at home.  He wondered if I could give him money for gas.  I said that I'd be happy to use my credit card at the gas pump.  He also said f*** you and walked away.  

Many years ago a friend and I were walking on Fifth Ave.in Manhattan.We passed a guy sitting on a sidewalk with a sign stating he was homeless and asking for money.An hour later we saw him walking into a parking garage and he drove out in a BMW.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, ownedbypets said:

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

He also said f*** you and walked away.  

They seem to get angrier and angrier now a days if you don't give them what they want.

6 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

My first “and then……” from a somewhat normal day.

I hear from my sister, that my nephew is in the hospital.  He had arthroscopic knee surgery last week, and he woke up to a very swollen knee.   The hospital drained a lot of fluid, and thought it was a staph infection that will need IV antibiotics.  Four to six weeks of IV antibiotics, and they are testing to see if it got in his bloodstream. 

I think this is his third knee surgery, and he is only 38.  That is a lot for such a young age, but it stems from a football injury when he was younger.  Hopefully they will get it under control.

Sometimes it feels like the family is jinxed.

And then……..

Oh no. those staph infections can be very serious. I'm hoping the the antibiotics will do the trick and get rid of the infection. I know that feeling. It seems like when it rains it pours. I've been there and I'm thinking of you and your family.

• Like 6

The second “and then……” from our somewhat normal day.

I had just fallen asleep, when Susan woke me up.  She said our daughter just called, and said she tested positive for Covid.  She wanted us to test right away to see if we had it.  Now, I don’t function the best when awakening from a deep sleep, but I managed to find a couple of our tests, and tested both of us.  We were both negative. 

So our daughter wanted to go to the ER to have everything checked, probably because of everything else she has been going through.  

10:30 at night is not the best time to visit the ER, although I don’t know if there is ever a good time.  The one person they were just getting around to seeing, said they had been waiting 7 hours.  So she called some other hospitals to ask them what their wait times were.  “Oh, we aren’t allowed to tell anyone that!”

They checked her all out, wrote her a script, and at 3 am, we got to see the heard of deer that visits our yard.   So much for our dreams of a good night sleep.

The good thing, is that her symptoms are mild, but the bad thing is her next treatment is now delayed until the 26th because of Covid.  

So where did she get it?  Probably from a teacher who dropped off something our grandson had forgot at school.  About two days after she dropped it off, she called our daughter to let her know she just tested positive.

and then……

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1