Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

20 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

It is only 2 1/2 weeks before we are to leave for Rome to start our 10/19 Odyssey Holy Land cruise and the 10/31 Transatlantic back to the states.  We would spend 4 days in Florence before getting to Civitavecchia to start the cruise.   I should be really excited and packing by now.  Instead, I am faced with physical challenge and uncertainly of whether I can take this trip.

Last Saturday, I woke up and felt excruciating sciatica back pain from my lower back all the way down my leg.  This was the worse I've ever experienced.  I couldn't get out of bed.  Every move hurt from the shooting nerve pain.  I couldn't sit up, stand or walk.  I felt like I needed to get to the ER but didn't know how I was going to get in the car to get me there.  Figured I'd need an ambulance where they'd have to roll me onto a gurney to take me there.  But eventually, I did get out of bed because staying laying down is worst for sciatica.  You need to keep moving.  So, with the help of DH, I leaned on him and scooted little by little and got out to the kitchen.  In that condition, I thought how would I be able to make this trip.  If it hurt to sit, how was I going to sit for a 12 1/2 hour flight let alone all the tours that we would be doing at each port.  We had come to the realization that we may have to cancel this trip if I didn't improve.  So since then, I have been on pain medication, nerve pain medication, muscle relaxant, heating pad, etc. This Tuesday, I will have video appointment with the Spine Clinic.  I may have to receive an injection.  That's a big needle I'm trying to avoid.

So, this is where we are at at the moment.  We had been planning this trip for 3 years.  I always had a fear that either my sciatica problem or vertigo problem would change these plans.  And sure enough, I am having to deal with it now.  I guess it's a blessing that I wasn't on a ship when this episode happened.  It would be so far away from home that I don't know what I would've done.

Anyway, thanks for listening.  Please pray for me to heal enough to dull the pain and for it to subside a bit where I would be able to sit down and able to walk.

Oh Helen I am so sorry this is happening to you. I truly hope you are able to go on that trip.  It sound amazing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, singinalot said:

is there a formal night on a 3 night cruise? 🤔

We got off a 3 day Navigator a couple of weeks ago.  There was one "Dress your best" night.  It was less formal than most of my previous cruises. People dressed up but more like they were going to a club.  I wore a blazer and tie which is a step down for me.

17 hours ago, taznremmy said:

So true Greg.  ‘They’ have taken all of the fun out of traveling.

This current trip… note to self…..never fly into or cruise from Vancouver again. ‘Dog and pony’ show at both the airport and cruise terminal.  My opinion.

17 hours ago, George C said:

I have taken approximately 75 cruises the only time we almost missed our flight was in Vancouver, terrible experience. 

I lived in Vancouver for my first 50 years.  I avoided flying in and out of YVR at any and all costs.  For most flights I flew out of Seattle which is crummy too but not nearly as bad as YVR.  Sometimes, if connections worked out, I would fly out of Bellingham, WA.  If you can do that, it is a great airport to use to access the Metro Vancouver area. It is small and you are in and out so easily and quickly it is unbelievable.  Southwest just started flying in and out Bellingham so there may be more options than ever.

Edited by Tree_skier
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

We got off a 3 day Navigator a couple of weeks ago.  There was one "Dress your best" night.  It was less formal than most of my previous cruises. People dressed up but more like they were going to a club.  I wore a blazer and tie which is a step down for me.

I lived in Vancouver for my first 50 years.  I avoided flying in and out of YVR at any and all costs.  For most flights I flew out of Seattle which is crummy too but not nearly as bad as YVR.  Sometimes, if connections worked out, I would fly out of Bellingham, WA.  If you can do that, it is a great airport to use to access the Metro Vancouver area. It is small and you are in and out so easily and quickly it is unbelievable.  Southwest just started flying in and out Bellingham so there may be more options than ever.

When we flew home from Seattle not only did we have to fly from Seattle we also had a layover in YVR.  Luckily things went very smooth which was good because our Seattle flight was delayed so our 2 hour layover turned into an hour.  We were at our new gate with 45 minutes to spare.

Seattle was terrible.  Air Canada only staffed their booth to check luggage 2 1/2 hours pre flight.  with leaving the ship we were at the airport really early and had to wait until luggage check opened before we could even attempt the security line.  To top it off there is really nothing in Seattle before security including places to sit.  We were those people camped out on the floor sitting beside their luggage for hours.

• Like 1

Vikki update.

Headed out this morning to the fracture clinic...no walk ins, you need an appointment.  To top it off it needs to be the Dr that treated you that calls and speaks to the orthopedic surgeon here.  The Dr that treated us only faxed information which is apparently not good enough.  The only good thing was that we were in and out in under half an hour so no charge for parking.

After a round of tears I guess the nurse took pity of Vikki and we had mentioned that they were possibly operating the morning after it happened she went and took the chart and spoke with the Dr who squeezed her in for this Thursday.  It was only one day after the appointment that we would have been able to get had we stayed at the initial hospital.

I must say it's a good thing she's cute because she can be a bit demanding.  Not sure how cabin stewards do this for a career.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Vikki update.

Headed out this morning to the fracture clinic...no walk ins, you need an appointment.  To top it off it needs to be the Dr that treated you that calls and speaks to the orthopedic surgeon here.  The Dr that treated us only faxed information which is apparently not good enough.  The only good thing was that we were in and out in under half an hour so no charge for parking.

After a round of tears I guess the nurse took pity of Vikki and we had mentioned that they were possibly operating the morning after it happened she went and took the chart and spoke with the Dr who squeezed her in for this Thursday.  It was only one day after the appointment that we would have been able to get had we stayed at the initial hospital.

I must say it's a good thing she's cute because she can be a bit demanding.  Not sure how cabin stewards do this for a career.

Sure hope she gets the treatment that she needs and heals up quickly. So sorry y'all are going through this!

Thought I would share this for those who have posted pain management treatments.

Update on pain management services for those on some Medicare plans

If you are on Medicare and are a pain management patient for nerve blocks the powers that be have modified the interval in which you can receive services.

They are Pain management office visit, every 13 weeks and no more than 4 injections a year..

My best friend who receives injections just went for her appointment and they informed her.

So considered your options and read the finest print.

I do not know the current rules for private insurance, I am old.

Take care

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Seattle was terrible.  Air Canada only staffed their booth to check luggage 2 1/2 hours pre flight.  with leaving the ship we were at the airport really early and had to wait until luggage check opened before we could even attempt the security line.  To top it off there is really nothing in Seattle before security including places to sit.  We were those people camped out on the floor sitting beside their luggage for hours.

Reminds me of my shock when we had finished a long vacation, when we went to South America.  We did 4 nights pre cruise in Rio, before boarding a HAL ship for a cruise around the horn.  After we flew to Lima, Peru and then to Cuzco the next morning.  After our time at Machu Picchu and Cuzco flew back to Lima early in the morning.  Discovered American Airlines doesn’t have anyone there to check in luggage until a couple of hours prior to the flight.  So, we were stuck at the Lima airport for like 10 hours.  

This is, also, where my DW let her guard down and after about 5 days of no salad, she thought it was safe to eat a salad at Pizza Hut at the airport.  A few days after, she was on antibiotics.  😆

jc

16 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Sure hope she gets the treatment that she needs and heals up quickly. So sorry y'all are going through this!

Thanks.  At this point we don't even know for sure if it was broken or fractured.  definitely dislocated but they fixed that.  The xray and CT scan were inconclusive

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Reminds me of my shock when we had finished a long vacation, when we went to South America.  We did 4 nights pre cruise in Rio, before boarding a HAL ship for a cruise around the horn.  After we flew to Lima, Peru and then to Cuzco the next morning.  After our time at Machu Picchu and Cuzco flew back to Lima early in the morning.  Discovered American Airlines doesn’t have anyone there to check in luggage until a couple of hours prior to the flight.  So, we were stuck at the Lima airport for like 10 hours.  

This is, also, where my DW let her guard down and after about 5 days of no salad, she thought it was safe to eat a salad at Pizza Hut at the airport.  A few days after, she was on antibiotics.  😆

jc

10 hours...ouch.

Makes me really want to travel with carry on only...unfortunately the women of the household do not share that same opinion.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thanks.  At this point we don't even know for sure if it was broken or fractured.  definitely dislocated but they fixed that.  The xray and CT scan were inconclusive

Broken and fractured mean exactly the same thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, h20skibum said:

If it is Monday, it must be baby back rib day.  Time to prep and slow cook them for supper tonight.  Grandson says that it is his favorite meal. 

B1E06850-33E5-40C9-89D9-227FEDEEC1ED.thumb.jpeg.8ee182cc442a4f9441d7c61e8f4a1e1c.jpeg

That is the first of a couple racks.  Then to season them. 

EFB31353-8B9A-4FD6-9A56-22CB2BC4E7DE.thumb.jpeg.8d99ee52d28030635ab29d359ecdbc9b.jpeg

I can’t believe we got them for less than $3 a pound, and they have a lot of meat to them. 

This is the time of year for bulk trash pickup.  I am always amazed at how much stuff people set out for pickup, and how many people scavenge the piles for things they want to repurpose.  We never have anything, because we get rid of things right away. 

This is one thing we jut put out at our daughter’s house.  One owner, but don’t check the crash history.  The little lady that had this one crashed often.  

A216F2F0-E830-40AD-B53D-5DCD4C27446F.thumb.jpeg.8ba36780b894c6dddbbc0726f560a4ca.jpeg

@Ozark_Kid   Kenzie could drive this to visit her new cousin, Finnley😁

• Like 2

I’m having more trouble than usual keeping up here. Actually, that’s not exactly true. I’m keeping up with reading along, but between this thread, Bella’s, Bob’s Alaska/Hawaii adventure and Greg’s Symphony 🎼, I can’t keep up with commenting on all the posts I’d like to.  I’m also following a thread over on the Celebrity board by Norwaylady who’s doing a similar cruise to Bob’s (Alaska, then TP to Hawaii).  Her writing is quite entertaining. Plus laundry, cooking and housework keep getting in the way - I guess I’ll have to give those up 🙂!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

To All our friends on this thread who live in Florida, please post your plans as to what you are doing to get ready for this upcoming "Hurricane Ian".

Suppose to a powerful slow moving storm.

140 mph winds on Wednesday Morning.😲

Tampa Residents,. Mandatory Evacuation in place right now.

Our Aunt and Uncle live in Sarasota, their plans are going to stay in a hotel in Port St. Lucie which is on the east coast and ride it out there.

Whatever you do , please be smart and stay safe.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 11

9 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

To All our friends on this thread who live in Florida, please post your plans as to what you are doing to get ready for this upcoming "Hurricane Ian".

Our Aunt and Uncle live in Sarasota, their plans are going to stay in a hotel in St. Lucie which is on the east coast and ride it out there.

We are in Tampa but luckily not in a flood or evacuation zone so we are staying home.  The county came through a few weeks ago and cut back a lot of trees and cleaned out all of the drainage ditches. We have impact windows and doors, lots of food and water and USB/ battery fans. My fear is losing power which might happen. I say might because there are 11 houses on our street that are on the same electrical grid as the water plant and we have never lost power in 30 years. I probably just jinxed us.

Everything has to be brought in from outside so they don't become flying objects. I also have to drain the pool a few inches. 

I don't know of anyone in our area that is leaving. We are as ready as we can be and are just anxious to get it over with.

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Our Aunt and Uncle live in Sarasota, their plans are going to stay in a hotel in Port St. Lucie which is on the east coast and ride it out there.

I second Jimbo’s thoughts. To all those in Florida please stay safe. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

10 hours...ouch.

Makes me really want to travel with carry on only...unfortunately the women of the household do not share that same opinion.

Yeah.  Not from the bit I saw of Lima, on the bus ride to and from the airport to our hotel, that we missed that much, but still was a painful way to waste a vacation day.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, singinalot said:

So it figures we’d move to FL and get projected for one of the worst storms here in history 🤣 Alsooo that it’s named after my cousin 🤣🤷‍♀️

we’re quite busy but here’s a few updates 

patio furniture moved inside and important documents moved up from the basement 

D5DE04AB-2C22-4C13-9D3C-A17A8312572D.thumb.jpeg.af9d248cc08e8348924f5ce62cb549b3.jpeg

i also have a video of everything we’ve done to protect the cars and basement but wasn’t sure to put that on here as I don’t want to offend anyone or give away our secrets 🤣 so I’ll do some random pics later

We’re taking one of the cars inland tomorrow morning and will keep Nate’s truck here ( a diesel and it’s lifted)

My new job is being very gracious to its Tampa employees and we are to record our time as usual even if our power/wifi goes out.

I was going to say, don’t leave the cars in the basement!  

JC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I’m having more trouble than usual keeping up here. Actually, that’s not exactly true. I’m keeping up with reading along, but between this thread, Bella’s, Bob’s Alaska/Hawaii adventure and Greg’s Symphony 🎼, I can’t keep up with commenting on all the posts I’d like to.  I’m also following a thread over on the Celebrity board by Norwaylady who’s doing a similar cruise to Bob’s (Alaska, then TP to Hawaii).  Her writing is quite entertaining. Plus laundry, cooking and housework keep getting in the way - I guess I’ll have to give those up 🙂!

I know I’ve had a hard time not only keeping up but organizing and writing mine. I had no idea that there would be three Symphony reviews this week. I looked for Stealthdog but never saw him and I don’t know what Bennybrun looks like.

13 minutes ago, singinalot said:

So it figures we’d move to FL and get projected for one of the worst storms here in history 🤣 Alsooo that it’s named after my cousin 🤣🤷‍♀️

Please stay safe. I will be thinking of you and Nate.

1 minute ago, singinalot said:

Also, in an unrelated but timely event, Nate happened to sell the most important car last week so it is no longer our worry

9D8C0F8F-B768-4B69-A65C-BBF7E01751C8.thumb.jpeg.6e83f8cc9d0916cdff86297ba4676fb1.jpeg

this is the car we’re taking inland

B3A2BD9A-3C06-4499-86E7-0D38092978DC.thumb.jpeg.9cb5bcb09a47590685395fb3e5f0bbe2.jpeg

left in the garage will be my car (pushed as far in as I can get it), my neighbor’s golf cart (they live across from us directly on the water and we’re about 2’ higher than them), and my uncle’s side by side which is already up on a trailer.

OH NO Nate got rid of the Lamborghini ? I loved that car.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@Ozark_Kid   Kenzie could drive this to visit her new cousin, Finnley😁

😂 I saw this pop up in notifications.  When I opened it up I first saw the ribs and thought what??? 😂. Then saw the Disney car.  😂.  She would love it.  Yesterday while leaving church I asked Kenzie where the car was at.   She grabbed my figure and walked me to the car.

I have a lot to catch up on.   Been busy here.  Kenzie has another new cousin.  RJ.  
I got to run again…. More later.
image.thumb.jpeg.a127dd2969a4c608e1a0059c65970d47.jpeg

We are now Great Grandparents .

It’s been awhile but you may remember my oldest daughter has taken in few few guys over the years from Rwanda while they attended college.  A few have become close. Two became like family so much that they have been 

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

😂 I saw this pop up in notifications.  When I opened it up I first saw the ribs and thought what??? 😂. Then saw the Disney car.  😂

The Disney car lasted about an hour at the curb, before someone snapped it up.  

Our granddaughter had a lot of fun with it for a few years.  I saw a couple smaller ones that people had put out, and those disappeared pretty quick too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, singinalot said:

D5DE04AB-2C22-4C13-9D3C-A17A8312572D.thumb.jpeg.af9d248cc08e8348924f5ce62cb549b3.jpeg

i also have a video of everything we’ve done to protect the cars and basement but wasn’t sure to put that on here as I don’t want to offend anyone or give away our secrets 🤣 so I’ll do some random pics later

IMG_8295.MOV
36.4 MB · 1 download

Stay safe, Crystal and Nate!

13 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

😂 I saw this pop up in notifications.  When I opened it up I first saw the ribs and thought what??? 😂. Then saw the Disney car.  😂.  She would love it.  Yesterday while leaving church I asked Kenzie where the car was at.   She grabbed my figure and walked me to the car.

I have a lot to catch up on.   Been busy here.  Kenzie has another new cousin.  RJ.  
I got to run again…. More later.
image.thumb.jpeg.a127dd2969a4c608e1a0059c65970d47.jpeg

We are now Great Grandparents .

It’s been awhile but you may remember my oldest daughter has taken in few few guys over the years from Rwanda while they attended college.  A few have become close. Two became like family so much that they have been 

Congratulations!!!!!  The baby is beautiful!  

6 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

The Disney car lasted about an hour at the curb, before someone snapped it up.  

Our granddaughter had a lot of fun with it for a few years.  I saw a couple smaller ones that people had put out, and those disappeared pretty quick too. 

I actually grabbed one years ago for one of my grandchildren..lol!  It was in great shape and clean, so....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1