Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

17 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Owen came home from school today, 2 more full days left. Then 4 days of exams/year end assignments. 

Today they had the sports assembly and he showed this to us when he got home. An amazing thing to get, but for some reason Lisa and I aren’t surprised.

Congratulations to Owen. Well deserved recognition.

When we started cruising o a regular basis, we were on Celebrity and did several TA's. Then we switched to Royal, Navigator, and I was blown away. The Royal Promenade is awesome, and I loved it. WJ showed how much larger that the Millennium class since you could actually how wide the ship was.  Then DW booked us on Carnival cruise  Perfect way to compare. Brand new ship , the Dream. TA from Rome to NY. 

My first thought was this is the best Carnival can come up with.  Most forgettable ship I had ever been on.  Only thing I really remember is not liking the balcony door, it was hinged rather than a slider and I thought that you could lose fingers.

Never considered Carnival after that.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

I definitely believe that.

Also, echoing what others have said, your renovations came out absolutely beautiful.

Thanks, it was very time consuming process.

Lot's of worrying will we get the exact look we were looking for or not.  Are all the colors right? etc.

Really it's a total transformation of the area.

It's a whole different vibe when walking through the front door now.

We think very much updated now with the look compared to  how it was somewhat outdated before.

That  huge wall between kitchen and living room area, just had to go. 🙂

• Like 9

On 6/19/2023 at 12:01 PM, Ozark_Kid said:

We had a great weekend. All 3 daughters and their families gathered at the house this weekend.  2 couples from church wanted to prepare a meal for our family.  It turned out to be a feast!  There was 15 of us and we might of ate a 1/3 of the feast.  Lots of leftovers.
A smoked Boston Butt that turned out sooo tender.  We turned it into pulled pork.
B78D2BAF-0D16-4113-AB21-0DF1A3C58A68.jpeg.578244fe6523df12cc682aba52e9138c.jpeg

Three racks of ribs! Delicious!
B621C982-9B8A-4BA3-9766-4FE8EA9BE73E.jpeg.3fa210e5623aece0f2a0539d3f9b8952.jpeg

20230617_171240.thumb.jpg.bc20e7adc948a3585ecec6a509f149cd.jpg

Two large banquet size sides of mixed vegetables and baked been.

20230617_171337.thumb.jpg.26d052318e8efdaff26c5b131775da0a.jpg

20230617_171325.thumb.jpg.5c8ba9b2476259aaae0b3d96d0b244f9.jpg

Strawberry Cobbler and brownies with icing.

20230617_171411.thumb.jpg.54db59ec5167bf09e85462afe8d07f33.jpg

20230617_171443.thumb.jpg.9d983c9529ba7543a29969ba651229c5.jpg

It was really good.

What a wonderful feast, and what wonderful church friends you have!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Thanks, it was very time consuming process.

Lot's of worrying will we get the exact look we were looking for or not.  Are all the colors right? etc.

Really it's a total transformation of the area.

It's a whole different vibe when walking through the front door now.

We think very much updated now with the look compared to  how it was somewhat outdated before.

That  huge wall between kitchen and living room area, just had to go. 🙂

You have all of the joy of a new home!

I think the fireplace is absolutely perfect, and so is the kitchen. 
The microwave worked out beautifully, perfect height, and the creative vent puts it over the top!

Any cook would  love the kitchen, and a non-cook would be inspired to begin!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Not in your wildest dreams.😁😊

You said that right!
I, a recently turned "non cook", would be terrified of getting that absolutely gorgeous Architectural Digest edition of a kitchen dirty!

At least that would be my excuse to get out of the cooking.😁

But I do LOVE that remodel. Jimbo may you Mrs make many happy meals there!

• Like 3

While on new homes and remodels, we are going to get a second fridge. Will move the current one that came with the house into the garage. Researching . LG? Kitchen Aid? Whirlpool? Samsung? Any suggestions/concerns with any brand?
Any model that will plan and cook dinner too?🤣

• Haha 4

While I did check in from time to time, it was hard to keep up with a very busy Dani thread this weekend as it was a busy family weekend for me as well.  Saturday was the baptism for my niece’s daughter (grand-niece? Niece once removed?) followed by a catered after party at a local volunteer firehouse, followed by an after-after party at my brother’s house.  It was great catching up with family that traveled up from Atlanta, GA and down from Canada. A very long day of over-indulging on food and drink but isn’t that the purpose of such events? 😁

After clearing the cobwebs out of my head Sunday morning, it was off to NYC where Little Miss HBE4 treated me for Father’s Day (part one).  Last minute decision so we decided to just wing it. Grabbed a couple of road sodas (beer for me, spiked seltzers for her) for the train ride in. Since it’s was a perfect June day weather-wise – plenty of sun, comfortable temps and no humidity – we headed over to The High Line Park. The High Line was an old, abandoned, elevated freight train line thru the lower west side Manhattan back when it was an industrial area. It has been converted into a park, complete with gardens, flowers, trees, art exhibits, food and drink vendors, plenty of benches & scenic overlooks with stairs down to street level every few blocks.  For those that are really interested, you can learn more about the High Line here.

https://www.thehighline.org/park-features/

https://www.thehighline.org/photos/at-a-glance/best-of/

Had a late lunch/early dinner (Linner? Dunch?)  at Death Ave Bar & Restaurant (https://www.deathave.com/).  The name refers to the nickname of 10th Ave when freight trains ran down the middle of the street with no barriers between the trains and cars & pedestrians. Something like 450 people were killed in a span of 50+ year before the train was elevated. This was despite the WestSide Cowboys riding ahead of the train to warn people. You can read why it’s called Death Avenue here.

https://www.thehighline.org/blog/2021/10/28/the-history-of-death-avenue-2/

Then walked the 1.5 miles of the High Line from Hudson Yards to Greenwich Village. From there, we just kind of bounced around a few different places. Went to a jazz club but the band was a last minute no-show so they piped on 80’s pop music. Curious choice and while I love 80’s music, it wasn’t what we were looking for so we moved onto a Karaoke bar.  LOL. Last stop was a place called “Off the Wagon”, a local neighborhood type of place where we struck up conversations with a few others we met and stayed out waaayyyy tooo long before Lyft back to Grand Central Station and napping on the train ride back home.

A great way to end a great weekend. The one thing is that I did not take very many pictures, hence the web links. Since my step daughter very uncharacteristically stayed off her phone all day, I likewise kept my phone in my pocket to “stay in the moment” as they say. Wouldn’t want it any other way. So here are all 4 pictures I took. LOL

The High Line with some cool looking buildings.

HighLine.thumb.jpg.119f8769c944e0aa919c886efdbf22ac.jpg

One of the many pieces of Art along the walk.

HighLineArt.thumb.jpg.b18eb3999cc5365d8058e0f40b0ba342.jpg

Love the cobblestone streets that are still around in lower Manhattan

Cobblestone.thumb.jpg.8f6557de9559c673626be772f49c961f.jpg

Back when we were having a pizza discussion on this thread, someone had mention John of Bleeker Street having the best pizza in the city.  I was still stuffed from Linner and besides, I don't wait on any line that goes out the door, much less one that goes down the block and around the corner and disappears over the horizon. No matter how good the food is.  Maybe some other time.

JohnonBleeker.thumb.jpg.de8b4a8107ee14e80a2b4dfb8ff972fb.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Fathers Day Part 2 comes this August as my step daughter also got me tickets for "The Book of Mormon".

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Finally caught up on the trip reports and a couple of posts that I missed replying to.

@singinalot thanks for sharing your girls weekend away with us.  You take great photos & videos and as I mentioned before I love your restaurant/bar choices.  I always get food envy from your trips and this time I got handbag envy too!

@A&L_Ont Thanks for sharing your amazing Knights trip with us all.  How wonderful that you got to experience that winning euphoria as a family. Nice touch that you reached out with your spare ticket too.  Congratulations to Owen on his award.

@dani negreanu Glad you are having a fab time at that superb looking resort. Look forward to your photos on your return.

@Sea Dog love your Tiki garden and the statues that Linda gifted you for Father’s Day

@Jimbo your new kitchen is stunning.  Might have taken longer than you hoped but it’s definitely worth it.  Your wife had a great eye.

How did you go with your poem @lenquixote66

@lenquixote66

18 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Exactly!😆

Joe Farcus was a graduate of the University of Florida, which might have influenced his taste. He designed the interiors of Carnival ships for years and years, the gaudier the better!

He retired in 2012, so the newer ships must have a different vibe. Maybe!

IMG_1809.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

While on new homes and remodels, we are going to get a second fridge. Will move the current one that came with the house into the garage. Researching . LG? Kitchen Aid? Whirlpool? Samsung? Any suggestions/concerns with any brand?
Any model that will plan and cook dinner too?🤣

IMO, stay away from Samsung.   I have heard many complaints about Samsung fridges, basically all of their appliances have same opinions by a lot of people.   

We had an appliance conversation last week with my Brother and his wife as their fairly new LG fridge died within 3 or 4 yrs.  They replaced with a Fridigiare.  They just don't make them like they used to.

We bought a whirlpool fridge last winter and knock on wood, so far we like it.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My poem was written in 1986.It appeared in my published book of poetry 

and short stories.The title of this poem is MOVEMENT.

He looked around and saw her laugh

The woman with her lover

She has a way of knowing

The world is hers to love

Moving through life

like waves hitting the sand

She met him in the hallway

and held hm with her eyes

The wind got louder 

The earth disappeared

His heart lost its vision

As he awoke from his dream

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

Continuing knee saga. Well the right knee is good now the left knee is toast. I have already had a hyaluronic acid injection (gel that helps lubricate joint) and an Cortisone injection. I was doing pretty good until last week when my left knee just blew up. I can't walk very well or even bend it very far. I'm off in a few minutes to get an MRI to send to my brother (doctor who pioneered the use of ultra sound to diagnose sports injuries) and his friend the doctor who gave me the injections. I'm leaning towards getting a Bone Marrow stem cell transplant instead of a another total knee replacement. The only problem insurance will not cover it. Average cost is $5-8K. Luckily my brother said he will do it at cost. I really need something to work as we have cruises in October and next April. I need a good working knee. Now if only we can get Linda's back problems better. Thanks for listening to me rant.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Continuing knee saga. Well the right knee is good now the left knee is toast. I have already had a hyaluronic acid injection (gel that helps lubricate joint) and an Cortisone injection. I was doing pretty good until last week when my left knee just blew up. I can't walk very well or even bend it very far. I'm off in a few minutes to get an MRI to send to my brother (doctor who pioneered the use of ultra sound to diagnose sports injuries) and his friend the doctor who gave me the injections. I'm leaning towards getting a Bone Marrow stem cell transplant instead of a another total knee replacement. The only problem insurance will not cover it. Average cost is $5-8K. Luckily my brother said he will do it at cost. I really need something to work as we have cruises in October and next April. I need a good working knee. Now if only we can get Linda's back problems better. Thanks for listening to me rant.

I hope your brother can help fix your knee!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

While I did check in from time to time, it was hard to keep up with a very busy Dani thread this weekend as it was a busy family weekend for me as well.  Saturday was the baptism for my niece’s daughter (grand-niece? Niece once removed?) followed by a catered after party at a local volunteer firehouse, followed by an after-after party at my brother’s house.  It was great catching up with family that traveled up from Atlanta, GA and down from Canada. A very long day of over-indulging on food and drink but isn’t that the purpose of such events? 😁

After clearing the cobwebs out of my head Sunday morning, it was off to NYC where Little Miss HBE4 treated me for Father’s Day (part one).  Last minute decision so we decided to just wing it. Grabbed a couple of road sodas (beer for me, spiked seltzers for her) for the train ride in. Since it’s was a perfect June day weather-wise – plenty of sun, comfortable temps and no humidity – we headed over to The High Line Park. The High Line was an old, abandoned, elevated freight train line thru the lower west side Manhattan back when it was an industrial area. It has been converted into a park, complete with gardens, flowers, trees, art exhibits, food and drink vendors, plenty of benches & scenic overlooks with stairs down to street level every few blocks.  For those that are really interested, you can learn more about the High Line here.

https://www.thehighline.org/park-features/

https://www.thehighline.org/photos/at-a-glance/best-of/

Had a late lunch/early dinner (Linner? Dunch?)  at Death Ave Bar & Restaurant (https://www.deathave.com/).  The name refers to the nickname of 10th Ave when freight trains ran down the middle of the street with no barriers between the trains and cars & pedestrians. Something like 450 people were killed in a span of 50+ year before the train was elevated. This was despite the WestSide Cowboys riding ahead of the train to warn people. You can read why it’s called Death Avenue here.

https://www.thehighline.org/blog/2021/10/28/the-history-of-death-avenue-2/

Then walked the 1.5 miles of the High Line from Hudson Yards to Greenwich Village. From there, we just kind of bounced around a few different places. Went to a jazz club but the band was a last minute no-show so they piped on 80’s pop music. Curious choice and while I love 80’s music, it wasn’t what we were looking for so we moved onto a Karaoke bar.  LOL. Last stop was a place called “Off the Wagon”, a local neighborhood type of place where we struck up conversations with a few others we met and stayed out waaayyyy tooo long before Lyft back to Grand Central Station and napping on the train ride back home.

A great way to end a great weekend. The one thing is that I did not take very many pictures, hence the web links. Since my step daughter very uncharacteristically stayed off her phone all day, I likewise kept my phone in my pocket to “stay in the moment” as they say. Wouldn’t want it any other way. So here are all 4 pictures I took. LOL

The High Line with some cool looking buildings.

HighLine.thumb.jpg.119f8769c944e0aa919c886efdbf22ac.jpg

One of the many pieces of Art along the walk.

HighLineArt.thumb.jpg.b18eb3999cc5365d8058e0f40b0ba342.jpg

Love the cobblestone streets that are still around in lower Manhattan

Cobblestone.thumb.jpg.8f6557de9559c673626be772f49c961f.jpg

Back when we were having a pizza discussion on this thread, someone had mention John of Bleeker Street having the best pizza in the city.  I was still stuffed from Linner and besides, I don't wait on any line that goes out the door, much less one that goes down the block and around the corner and disappears over the horizon. No matter how good the food is.  Maybe some other time.

JohnonBleeker.thumb.jpg.de8b4a8107ee14e80a2b4dfb8ff972fb.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Fathers Day Part 2 comes this August as my step daughter also got me tickets for "The Book of Mormon".

Thank you so much for a look at the city which changed so much since I left 19-1/2 years ago. I've only been back a few times and will never stop loving it.

BTW, I would wait on a line that was out the door for a NYC pastrami on rye with a can of Dr. Brown Cream Soda.

You have a wonderful step-daughter who loves you very much.

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Oh Greg, so sorry to read the trouble you're having with your knee.  I hope whatever course of action you take solves the problem especially the pain.

On a lighter note, I clicked on You Tube and your Explorer cruise You Tube video came up!  I have no idea why but I enjoyed seeing all the pictures that were on your CC review.

• Like 8

Just now, BonTexasNY said:

On a lighter note, I clicked on You Tube and your Explorer cruise You Tube video came up!  I have no idea why but I enjoyed seeing all the pictures that were on your CC review.

That’s cool. I’m glad you enjoyed. If you are not already please subscribe to my channel.

https://youtube.com/@seadogcruisesroyalcaribbea4235

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I understand still have my original knees , my main problem is it’s almost impossible to bend them much , very difficult to put on socks , glad I have slip on shoes 😁😁

• Like 5

Just now, George C said:

I understand still have my original knees , my main problem is it’s almost impossible to bend them much , very difficult to put on socks , glad I have slip on shoes 😁😁

I can really relate. Going down stairs is very painful as well as getting into the car bending my knee more that 90 degrees. I too wear slip on shoes more than laces. I hope you don’t ever have to do knee replacement. It’s not fun.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1