Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

13 hours ago, HBE4 said:

The NY  Yankees have a theme song too. They even spell the name of the team correctly 😉

I remember with pride watching the Yankees victory parades after their Series wins down the Canyon of Heroes (Broadway) in lower Manhattan.

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

My badge at work has my given name, "Deborah", and I tell people they can call me Deborah, Debbi, Deb, Big Red, Brillohead, or even just Nurse if they forget my name, because I've DEFINITELY been called much worse things than any of those in my life! 🤣

My History teacher in Jr. High (today's Middle School) signed my graduating autograph book with the most lovely comments about what an exceptional student I was, what a joy I was in his class.  Problem was it was addressed  "To Susan".  I told him who I was, he crossed out Susan and added Bonnie. 🙄

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

My birthfather's family always used to do one, but C-19 put a stop to those the past few years.  With the new discovery of me, and also the fact that his aunt (the last of my grandmother's surviving siblings and the one who usually planned the family reunions) is getting up there in age, he decided that it's time to resume the tradition.  

This is going to be a "small" family reunion, with "just our part of the family" -- meaning they're not inviting the third litter of kids (from my grandfather's third wife... the one that my Uncle Jack refers to as "that ugly cross-eyed witch").  But they are including everyone on my grandmother's side of the family, including her two kids from her second marriage.  

It sounds like many of the cousins in Michigan are planning on going (my local aunt's kids), and my cousins from Texas (that I first thought were siblings), and my cousins in Florida (my Uncle Jack's kids/grands/great-grands).  

My son and his GF are going to go down with me, and we're staying at my father's house.  I'll finally get to meet my "little sister".  She works for the city parks department, and has rented out a park on the Tennessee River for the event. Everyone's bringing side dishes/desserts, and my father is buying BBQ and making his famous baked beans.

This is planned for the middle of September, when it hopefully won't be quite so horribly hot in Alabama.  

It's a pleasure reading about your new family.  I know it brings you much happiness.

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 8

56 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Hey Andrew.... 

106387699_10157349232181905_4162062583646470369_n.jpg.43f75413774a0f1aac55e9120922f932.jpg

Truth be told I hate raisins as well.  I never ate Raisinettes.  I was a Goobers gal. I pick raisins out of trail mix.  My mom would omit raisins in her recipes just for me. Raisins were left out of her apple strudel, cheese blintzes, cookies among other dishes. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Oftentimes, the team you root for as a kid, shapes who you feel loyal to now.  I followed the Yankees (spelled correctly) even after I moved to TX.  I lost interest after Jeter retired.  Amazing longevity that spanned 20 years with the same team.

My BIL is still a Mets fan even though he's in TX now over 20 years.  His son now in TX, also originally from NYC is a Mets fan as well.  He named his dog Shea. 🤭

I have friends from childhood who live all over the US currently and still root for the teams they rooted for as kids.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Truth be told I hate raisins as well.  I never ate Raisinettes.  I was a Goobers gal. I pick raisins out of trail mix.  My mom would omit raisins in her recipes just for me. Raisins were left out of her apple strudel, cheese blintzes, cookies among other dishes. 

I ate both especially in movie theaters.

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

My late grandmother was an avid (and excellent) baker. Whenever she was baking something that called for raisins, she would make a special batch just for me without raisins, as she knew of my disdain for them. She was amazing!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Mmmmmm.  Little bits of heaven.

Yogurt Raisins | Yogurt Covered Raisins | Albanese Candy

EWWWWW. 😝 JMHO.  You're allowed to love them.  Honest!

56 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have friends from childhood who live all over the US currently and still root for the teams they rooted for as kids.

You make my point. 😀

40 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I ate both especially in movie theaters.

My favorite movie theater nosh were chocolate covered vanilla ice cream bonbons.

Getting ready to go out for lunch with friends then back here for coffee and good stuff with no raisins.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, voyager70 said:

My late grandmother was an avid (and excellent) baker. Whenever she was baking something that called for raisins, she would make a special batch just for me without raisins, as she knew of my disdain for them. She was amazing!

So you also know! 😀

• Like 2

Good afternoon.

We had a lovely Church service this morning.

Afterwards we went to the beach a couple of miles away.

It is sunny now at 17.47pm but 30 minutes ago it was raining heavily.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

IMG_20230702_121458.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

We board Allure in 2 weeks. Last night, I decided to try on my formalwear. The last few cruises have been cooler weather, so I wore my heavier/more winter-appropriate outfits. This next one is going to be hot, so I tried on my lighter formal things. But I've lost a good amount of weight over the last 1.5 years, and they are all too big now! 

I still have time to order something if I do it fast, but I'm not finding anything I like. Where do you ladies shop for cruise formalwear? I usually go for separates, and tops is what I need. 

Taking from your cruise critic name…..in Dallas the best place for lots of dress choices by far is the Dillards at Northpark.  I shop Talbots, Chicos and JJill for my age but still go to Dillards for dressy clothes.  They have a huge department upstairs with everything from sparkly to business/church dresses. The smaller Dillards have smaller selections but the biggest is Northpark. I can usually find things on sale too.  Happy shopping!

• Like 2

On 6/28/2023 at 4:43 PM, helen haywood said:

Minnie’s vet called me yesterday afternoon with her pathology report.  Unfortunately she had a malignant fibrosarcoma.  Good news was early detection enabled her to get totally clear margins.  (Means vet is sure she removed all of it.)  It was an 11% grade…not sure exactly what that translates to except low grade.

Reading about it sounds like reoccurrence is likely even though this one was completely removed.  Reoccurring potentially anywhere.  So I’m supposed to be on the lookout for any more lumps.  She said she could refer me to a veterinary oncologist but I’m not sure radiation would be indicated if the growth was totally removed…as I was told.  I suspect for some further knowledge of what options might be available down the road…if needed.  I’ll ask for further clarification on Monday when I take Minnie to have her sutures removed.

I appreciate and love Minnie every minute of every day so this diagnosis doesn’t change my appreciation for what she brings to my life…it just makes it more poignant.

I hesitated to post this as I am aware so many of you are dealing with much larger issues and I don’t mean to sound insensitive.

Sorry to hear about Minnie’s diagnosis, but am happy to hear the vet got all the margins. Hoping Minnie will be around for many years to come.

On 6/28/2023 at 6:03 PM, mo&fran said:

When I was on my last cruise, I guess about a month ago, I noticed a lump on the side of my neck. Got home, went to my PCP, got a CT scan. Sent the result to my oncologist, next a ENT Dr, next to the hospital for a biopsy.

Result, I have throat cancer. It has been many years (like 20) since I smoked, so we really not sure what caused it.

Just got off the phone with the oncologist, the treatment is to zap it with radiation, then 6 weeks of low level chemo.

Oncologist said there should be minimal side effects from the treatment,  it is very treatable.

Sorry to you have throat cancer, but so happy that’s it’s treatable. That has to be scary anyway.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

EWWWWW. 😝 JMHO.  You're allowed to love them.  Honest!

You make my point. 😀

My favorite movie theater nosh were chocolate covered vanilla ice cream bonbons.

Getting ready to go out for lunch with friends then back here for coffee and good stuff with no raisins.

Bon Bons cost more than goobers and raisenets.Getting Bon Bons was a treat .Fifty cents to see a movie,ten cents for pop corn .Not just one movie,a double feature plus a news reel.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

@Momof3gurlz
Deb, Which Beyond sailing are you on?

I remember you mentioning it some while back.

We were planning on the Beyond March 11, 2024 with a few others from Bella 1.0 but ended up canceling when we decided to do our kitchen remodel instead.  
Do you have a Beyond cruise booked?  We have our first Celebrity cruise in September on the Edge, Rome to Barcelona.  I’m really looking forward to trying Celebrity. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We were planning on the Beyond March 11, 2024 with a few others from Bella 1.0 but ended up canceling when we decided to do our kitchen remodel instead.  
Do you have a Beyond cruise booked?  We have our first Celebrity cruise in September on the Edge, Rome to Barcelona.  I’m really looking forward to trying Celebrity. 

I'm looking at Celebrity (Edge class) right now for our next cruise.  It's interesting and exciting looking at a line we've never sailed before...sort of like cruising for the first time again.  I'd love to hear what you think after your September cruise.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Keksie said:

I had the opposite problem before our cruise.  We don't really go formal anymore.  My husband wears slacks and a button down.  I wear a nice but not formal dress.  I found a couple of dresses at Belk.  They have dressy separates too.  I need to go back and find something for the wedding but I am waiting to see if I can drop a couple pounds.

I really like Belk but I haven't seen anything really dressy there. I will have to look again.

20 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Macy's is my go to for most clothing.

20 hours ago, MJSailors said:

@TravelGirlinDallas Good for you that the formal wear is too roomy now!

On to shopping…..

Have you tried Macy’s or Nordstrom?

I like the designer Adrianna Pappell.

I have bought a gown and a cocktail dress with her label at Macy’s.

I did see some pretty maxi dresses online at Talbots. Wearing a maxi dress with pretty sandals and jewelry is good look on a warm weather cruise.

Enjoy shopping!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

I love Macy's clearance area! I haven't checked that out in a while.

18 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I buy a lot of stuff from Chico’s.  They have tops that are festive, flattering and don’t wrinkle!

I didn't realize Chico's was still around. Good to know!

18 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

We gave up formal cruise wear a few cruises ago.  I now wear nice slacks with a glitzy top.  As others mentioned I do most of my shopping in Macy's and have bought some nice pieces at Belk. I haven't bought much cruisewear lately because unfortunately, my clothes still fit.  🫢

Congrats on your weight loss and have a wonderful cruise with calm seas.

"Cruisewear" always makes me think of that Seinfeld episode with George's dad. 😂 I am looking for glitzy tops, too.

11 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Is there a clothes alteration service near you Bethany?

Pauline has always used a local lady and she does an amazing job.

Well done slimming down and it sounds like some of the regulars have given you good advice.

When we have been to Florida Pauline has always bought lots of clothes in the department stores and also Ross Dress for less.

That's a good idea, as there are a couple of things I'd still like to be able to wear.

30 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Taking from your cruise critic name…..in Dallas the best place for lots of dress choices by far is the Dillards at Northpark.  I shop Talbots, Chicos and JJill for my age but still go to Dillards for dressy clothes.  They have a huge department upstairs with everything from sparkly to business/church dresses. The smaller Dillards have smaller selections but the biggest is Northpark. I can usually find things on sale too.  Happy shopping!

So many department stores have stopped carrying formalwear or even professional attire anymore. I'm glad to hear Dillard's still does!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Not yet. We were looking at Beyond sailings.
Edge is very nice.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2023 at 12:20 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I believe so .My father was an athlete a good portion of his life but never sustained any problems .However ,he had Parkinson’s as I do and he like me was prone to getting skin cancer.

On 6/28/2023 at 10:41 PM, Etta1213 said:

What did your father do for a living, Lenny?

On 6/29/2023 at 11:44 AM, lenquixote66 said:

He was the President of a division of one of the largest Labor Unions in the US.

I’m guessing she was referring to the athlete part of your comment since that’s what she quoted. I could be wrong, but that’s what I thought. Didn’t you say he played professional basketball?

Edited by ReneeFLL

7 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm looking at Celebrity (Edge class) right now for our next cruise.  It's interesting and exciting looking at a line we've never sailed before...sort of like cruising for the first time again.  I'd love to hear what you think after your September cruise.  

We have done both Edge and Beyond but both in suites, outside suite retreat area is fantastic , with pool , hot tub , bar . We enjoyed entertainment , loved that they had some live music early in the afternoon. Celebrity suite perks are way better than rccl. I am looking forward to hear from my sister who took her entire family on a Northern European cruise on the new apex .

• Like 2