Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Our long 4th weekend consists of getting out of town and heading to the Washington coast.  Stevie hates fireworks so we’re trying to get away as much as possible to kick her anxiety down a few notches (with the help of some puppy Xanax).IMG_4060.thumb.jpeg.c73dabc7cbc30745c4cb5c0f0afe36de.jpegIMG_4058.thumb.jpeg.7779991b854ac7e3e438fedf5fba870d.jpegIMG_4055.thumb.jpeg.7f36a3224e7b61f6c780b02b536c8c1b.jpegIMG_4051.thumb.jpeg.4c2de9a801ac07748cb448e99673bbc0.jpegIMG_4068.thumb.jpeg.d11cb57f5f617a91fa07a2e124805354.jpegIMG_4049.thumb.jpeg.38d1c55aaaf2acfc372ccf4608639fa4.jpeg

• Like 27

36 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

What I remember about Cartagena, was how hot it was.  We visited in April, the year we sailed.  I looked back at my notes, and it said the temperature was 83°, but it felt like 130° with the heat index.  It felt every bit that hot. 

Good to know as we will be there in April too. 

15 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Our long 4th weekend consists of getting out of town and heading to the Washington coast.  Stevie hates fireworks so we’re trying to get away as much as possible to kick her anxiety down a few notches (with the help of some puppy Xanax).IMG_4060.thumb.jpeg.c73dabc7cbc30745c4cb5c0f0afe36de.jpegIMG_4058.thumb.jpeg.7779991b854ac7e3e438fedf5fba870d.jpegIMG_4055.thumb.jpeg.7f36a3224e7b61f6c780b02b536c8c1b.jpegIMG_4051.thumb.jpeg.4c2de9a801ac07748cb448e99673bbc0.jpegIMG_4068.thumb.jpeg.d11cb57f5f617a91fa07a2e124805354.jpegIMG_4049.thumb.jpeg.38d1c55aaaf2acfc372ccf4608639fa4.jpeg

Thanj you for being considerate of your loved ones. Our dogs hate fireworks too. I wish people would be more concerned of the fear fireworks cause in our pets.

• Like 5

Every July 4 my daughter and family who live 5 minutes from Toby and I have a party to celebrate the holiday.Tomorrow they are doing something a bit different .They have invited two friends who are with the Port Authority Police Department and their families,two friends who are members of the NYPD and their families,two friends who are members of the FDNY and their families,two of my friends who are retired from a Long Island Fire  Department  and their families,my niece who is an MD and her family,a cousin of my SIL who is an MD and his family ,my wife who is a retired RN and a cousin of hers who is a retired RN and her family.

We will be 56 people .

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanj you for being considerate of your loved ones. Our dogs hate fireworks too. I wish people would be more concerned of the fear fireworks cause in our pets.

We have a neighborhood that goes crazy…I swear there are multiple families that spend 1000s of $$$ every year.  Hours on end every night for 3-4 days through the 4th.  Last year we tried to give her Vet meds but they didn’t touch it and we just felt horrible for her…so we vowed to try to find relative peace.  There are still fireworks in the distance, but none in the state park so the booms aren’t as heavy.  

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Nice rig!  I’m sure Stevie is enjoying the trip.   Here’s our setup for the week.  We are in the woods in Northern Michigan. 

IMG_3230.jpeg

• Like 17

50 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

I’m jealous.  Looks like a fantastic spot.  
Hope Stevie does ok.  The Rx should help.

The weekend has been pretty much non stop rain in western PA so far 😩

Rain gauge from just yesterday is reading around 1 3/4 inches 

image.thumb.jpg.ee9bf62803d7e159624d028303a3cc87.jpg

Edited by SteelCityCruiser10
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

We have a neighborhood that goes crazy…I swear there are multiple families that spend 1000s of $$$ every year.  Hours on end every night for 3-4 days through the 4th.  Last year we tried to give her Vet meds but they didn’t touch it and we just felt horrible for her…so we vowed to try to find relative peace.  There are still fireworks in the distance, but none in the state park so the booms aren’t as heavy.  

Until someone has lived with a pet and seen the fear and torture they go through with fireworks I'm not sure they can completely understand. Suddenly their sanctuary becomes a place of fear that they can't escape. And nothing you try to do to console them helps.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Im sure I will get criticized but I hate fireworks. I think they are a waste of money. Now I don’t mind seeing a professional display but after having a terrible experience as a child with fireworks I don’t want to be around them. I’ll be glad when the 4th is over. I’ve always hated that holiday. The only saving grace is that it’s Christmas in July so I usually watch Hallmark Christmas movies. Yeah I know I’m weird but hey!

• Like 10

It's not just pur pets that can have issues with fireworks.  My son has a friend who is a vet, they all get together and take him somewhere quiet for the holiday.

At our lake house many will set off fireworks over the water.  Is it pretty seeing the reflections yes, until you find the burn spots the next morning.  Wish people would stick to the known shows not have their own.  Much easier to see or avoid as you would like.

• Like 7

Our old house we could see fireworks from the city in our pool which I loved , none of our cats seemed to be bothered by fireworks. We sometimes can see it from our current house . Need to go shopping for our party tomorrow, I am cooking a baked ziti and on the grill Italian sausage and chicken legs , wife is doing salads and other things.

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Until someone has lived with a pet and seen the fear and torture they go through with fireworks I'm not sure they can completely understand. Suddenly their sanctuary becomes a place of fear that they can't escape. And nothing you try to do to console them helps.

My daughter said that her dog Beuk must have felt like he was being tortured from the sound of the fireworks .

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Im sure I will get criticized but I hate fireworks. I think they are a waste of money. Now I don’t mind seeing a professional display but after having a terrible experience as a child with fireworks I don’t want to be around them. I’ll be glad when the 4th is over. I’ve always hated that holiday. The only saving grace is that it’s Christmas in July so I usually watch Hallmark Christmas movies. Yeah I know I’m weird but hey!

The condo that I reside in has a no fireworks rule.Anyone caught setting them off will be fined $500.00.Last night for the first time since we have been living here we heard the sound.It appeared to be directly around the corner from us but we could not determine specifically where.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

No criticism from me on this. I also agree 100% with your statement.  Maybe except for the Hallmark Xmas movie part 😉. But hey, cheers to your self proclaimed weirdness 😁🥃

dp

Edited by dpostman
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I would be in lots of trouble if I told my wife I hate her birthday 😁😁

• Haha 9

It seems like every other house in my neighborhood has enough fireworks to put the professional town displays to shame.   Saturday night sounded like a war zone.  Last nights on-and-off rain kept things kinda quiet. We'll see what the next two nights. Things sure have changed since I was a kid with simple sparklers,  bottle rockets that made a pop sound or a 12 pack of firecrackers.  The high powered stuff back then like M80's or Roman Candles are considered kid stuff today.

• Like 3

I actually used to love going to professional firework displays put on by the town. Since they are often staggered over a 1 week period, DW & I would try to hit at least 3 or 4 each year.  And I like looking at the displays, I was never a fan of the stuff that just makes a loud boom like a canon with nothing to see.

I am fortunate that Leonard isn't bothered the least bit but in the past I've had dogs that would quake in fear every 4th. Hopefully to them, it was just another thunderstorm.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, George C said:

Our old house we could see fireworks from the city in our pool which I loved , none of our cats seemed to be bothered by fireworks. We sometimes can see it from our current house . Need to go shopping for our party tomorrow, I am cooking a baked ziti and on the grill Italian sausage and chicken legs , wife is doing salads and other things.

That sounds wonderful. Have a great feast!

50 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My daughter said that her dog Beuk must have felt like he was being tortured from the sound of the fireworks .

so sad.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I actually used to love going to professional firework displays put on by the town. Since they are often staggered over a 1 week period, DW & I would try to hit at least 3 or 4 each year.  And I like looking at the displays, I was never a fan of the stuff that just makes a loud boom like a canon with nothing to see.

I am fortunate that Leonard isn't bothered the least bit but in the past I've had dogs that would quake in fear every 4th. Hopefully to them, it was just another thunderstorm.

That is good re Leonard.

12 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I know I mentioned I sell a chunk of my mangos to a guy that comes down every year. He bought some again and asked if I would have more. Mike said there were about 50 left so I told him I was going to keep the rest. Mike had been picking them since I had the contact dermatitis from the sap and wasn't picking them myself. Quess I should have gone out myself to look. 😵‍💫 

They can be hard to see since they don't turn very yellow when they are ready to pick. Their green blends in with the tree. Needless to say I have peeled about 150+ and still have about 50 left. I'm so over it. That doesn't include the all ones the wind blew down (at least several hundred) which go straight in the trash. They bruise easily when they hit the ground and have a mushy spot. It is definitely getting a good trimming this year. 

Fresh cut chunks of mango with no sugar or anything else added and ready to be dried.

20230702_180010.thumb.jpg.2bda4a227cc7292de79a0c8bdc5fada7.jpg

Not pretty, but the end result tastes like candy. Plain dried mangos. The black is from the natural sugar carmelizing when they get too ripe. I prefer to dry them when they are just starting to turn a little yellow.

20230702_180047.thumb.jpg.2ce179ad9229f5dba7c1b2e58a4c4cf5.jpg

Mango puree with nothing added ready to dry to make fruit rolls.

20230702_181318.thumb.jpg.e0519410cf7d77d7517dc1211679d51b.jpg

This is all so very interesting, Renee!  How and when did you get interested in growing, selling, and drying them out?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lionesss said:

And yes if you have followed me over the years; if it’s going to happen it will happen to me. 
As we begin our future travels. I am writing a book. 

As well you should!😁

When I worked with the Special Ed children back in the 90's, I always said I'd write a book about what comes out of the kids mouths. 😊  One day, one of the boys asked me how old I was, and I replied that I was 35 (far from it!) and he said, "Wow!  My Mom's older than you are!" 

I never did write that book.  However, one of the Christmas gifts our daughters gave me and Jim, is where we write about our lives growing up.  They suggest different questions, and Jim and I each have a book to fill.

• Like 4