Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

My neighbors love Princess and that’s all that they sail. They are up their in the loyalty stays but they say everything is great, food, drink, entertainment and activities.

I thought princess ships were too crowded , actually saw a fist fight over saved seats . They added lots of cabins but didn’t add room in theater to allow everyone to see the shows . This was over a decade ago not sure if anything changed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm a city boy.  I was raised in Vancouver and was riding public transit on my own at 12 years old.  I couldn't wait to get my license, I already had a car.  I remember the day after I got my license, me and two buddies jammed 6 girls into a Datsun B210 hatchback and we roared around town on a Friday night.  🙂 

Screenshot2024-08-13at1_58_43PM.thumb.png.d63a34bad4a4229e8d90dd894b7f0412.png

I turned 16 in 1959.  VW's were starting to be imported.  I  actually got to drive on once. Vowed never to own one. I haven't.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm a city boy.  I was raised in Vancouver and was riding public transit on my own at 12 years old.  I couldn't wait to get my license, I already had a car.  I remember the day after I got my license, me and two buddies jammed 6 girls into a Datsun B210 hatchback and we roared around town on a Friday night.  🙂 

Screenshot2024-08-13at1_58_43PM.thumb.png.d63a34bad4a4229e8d90dd894b7f0412.png

I can relate. My first car (at age 16) was a used black Mustang. It had some mileage and was a little beat up but I was thrilled. When one of my closest friends daughter got her license her parents insisted on getting her a reliable, safe car, but her top priority was a car that she “looked cute in “ At least she got her license!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mo&fran said:

I turned 16 in 1959.  VW's were starting to be imported.  I  actually got to drive on once. Vowed never to own one. I haven't.

Around 1985 I owned a yellow 1975 Volkswagen Rabbit.  That was the first year of the Rabbit.  What a nightmare car that was.  It looked like a lemon and it was one too.  Apparently mine was in the first half of the years model release since it had a carburetor.  The second half of that years release as well as every other year after that was fuel injected.  Me, owning it 10 years after it was first sold, obviously had to do a lot of work to keep it running.  I needed to rebuild the carb and started calling around for a carb kit.  Everyone told me they don't have carbs they are all fuel injected.  Even the dealer insisted it wasn't possible. I actually drove to a local dealer just to prove to them I wasn't jerking them around.  

I eventually found a mechanic that said he could rebuild and he used parts from a domestic car.  To much time has elapsed now and I can't remember what car it was but a remarkable number it parts were interchangeable.  I remember picking up a solenoid and starter from the wrecker, among other things, to keep that old piece junk running.

1975VolkswagenRabbit.thumb.jpeg.a3e6e52022a983a7d6b54867f3d1df9b.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Good to know. We have never sailed on Princess. I know my neighbors love Princess but I don't think they have ever sailed Royal to compare.

Hi Greg.

We are top Loyalty Elite on Princess.

A one time mini bar set up.

10% discount in the shops.

Priority tender boarding.

Elite lounge has a limited food set up and you have to pay for cocktails in that lounge.

Last Princess cruise was to Hawaii in November 2019.

We were able to status match to top Diamond on MSC.

Our Royal Caribbean Diamond plus would only get gold status match on MSC.

Royal Caribbean Diamond plus loyalty is far superior to Princess Elite.

Royal Caribbean ships are far superior to Princess especially Oasis class.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Hi Greg.

Royal Caribbean Diamond plus loyalty is far superior to Princess.

Royal Caribbean ships are far superior to Princess.

MSc made me Diamond about the same time I was diamond plus also about same year , for some odd reason wife was only made Gold , I believe both give you a 5 percent discount on fare , but I am a veteran and I get ten percent discount, diamond also gives us a free specialty restaurant for two.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I had a new exercise at PT yesterday.  Line your feet up one directly behind the other and throw a ball into a vertically oriented trampoline-ish thing and catch on the rebound. 

My PT is usually 1 hour.  The last 15 minutes they put TENS on my back, I lay back on a heat mat, and they turn the light out. Relaxing! One time, a few minutes into it, someone outside my room started tossing the ball like your new exercise.  No relaxation that day.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

That’s a good thing. They didn’t have those laws when I was 16. I was a safe driver as my dad told me if I ever got a ticket, wreck the car or do something stupid I would never get to drive the car again.

Here in PA I had my learners permit about 3 mos. before my 16th birthday.  If I remember correctly I had to have an adult with me until I had full license at 16.  I had taken a Driver's Ed course and drove myself with the teacher (retired Police Sargeant) and 2 other students to get our licenses.   I had bought my 1st car right before getting my permit.   Those were the days😄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

The laws in ohio were I got a drivers license at 15 and could only drive with a parent also kn the car. Better than not driving. I took drivers ed at 15. And I'm older than you I'd guess.

We had same rules in PA in the 80s.

5 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Same for me. A few friends of mine have teenage kids who are in no rush to get their licenses because they “don’t want to grow up “. I don’t get it, but then again I’m an old gen X’er

Our oldest son had no interest in getting a license right away.  Our youngest couldn't wait.

• Like 1

I haven't been on for a few days.  So much goes on here..I finally just got caught up with the 16 pages or so.😊

@Tree_skierCongratulations, Dave on looking forward to becoming a Great-Grandfather!!!!

@Ozark_Kid and @DaniDanielle  So good to hear that both of your granddaughters are doing well!

@ReneeFLLEnjoy your cruise as well as Amsterdam.  Nice!!!!

@SteelCityCruiser10 I hope your DW's eye is recovering nicely.

@helen haywood  Good to hear that your are "sans" the boot, Marian.  Freedom at last!!

@HBE4Welcome back from your cruise! 

@Momof3gurlz Deb,  I'm happy to hear that your daughter and family are home from the Family Suite treatment room.  I sure hope the baby is doing much better and is no longer dehydrated.

@aussielozzie18Beautiful Fleurs De Viles display at the Botanic Gardens.  Thank you for sharing!

@firefly333I'm so glad that in your new home, you have finally found the happiness that you so deserve, Jane!

@mo&fran I wish you the best as you cruise, Fran!  It's the "firsts" that are the hardest.  Happy that you will be cruising with dear friends.  ((Hugs))

@Sea Dog  I hope you and Linda are feeling stronger as each day approaches, Greg!

@Ocean Boy  and @grapau27  Love the beach and water pictures!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

7 hours ago, George C said:

MSc made me Diamond about the same time I was diamond plus also about same year , for some odd reason wife was only made Gold , I believe both give you a 5 percent discount on fare , but I am a veteran and I get ten percent discount, diamond also gives us a free specialty restaurant for two.

On MSC Diamond got us a free Speciality restaurant meal each plus sparkling wine and chocolates and canapes in our cabin.

On Disembarkation day we did not have to leave our cabin until 10am while everyone else was 8am out of cabin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

On MSC Diamond got us a free Speciality restaurant meal each plus sparkling wine and chocolates and canapes in our cabin.

On Disembarkation day we did not have to leave our cabin until 10am while everyone else was 8am out of cabin.

We did yacht club wasn’t sure what perks were Diamond and what was YC . Butler or someone stocked our fridge daily with liquor , beer, soda and water. We have seaside booked again on December 1, out of Miami again . Next November msc will be sailing out of Galveston which I am sure we will book while on board.

good morning from Siam and Loki , one days are much more interesting since we adopted them 

image.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Good to know. We have never sailed on Princess. I know my neighbors love Princess but I don't think they have ever sailed Royal to compare.

I also like Princess. But we like Royal and Celebrity and NCL too. Each has its plus and not so plus points. Hubby always says that Royal's perks are the best.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks for posting this Dani.  It is uplifting to see that people from all over the world is concerned.   I looked up the Dr and she sounds special and a great doctor!

I too see a Neurologist every 3 months. My next visit is 2 weeks from yesterday.  I will see if my Neurologist is familiar with this one.

The hospital where I see my Neurologist is currently experimenting with a new ALS treatment. The doctor in charge of it is part of a multi-institutional research team.

I wish you the best.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Hi Greg.

Elite lounge has a limited food set up and you have to pay for cocktails in that lounge.

Royal Caribbean Diamond plus loyalty is far superior to Princess Elite.

Royal Caribbean ships are far superior to Princess especially Oasis class.

We were able to match to top Black on MSC via NCL status. I do not like MSC one bit. Tried them 3 times and that seems to be enough.
We did Princess to Hawaii as well. I LOVED that cruise. It was on Ruby Princess. The only other Princess we have been on was the Enchanted. LOVED that ship and staff/crew on board.
Also they were much better to deal with and more generous (than Royal or NCL) with all the returns and rebookings and reshiftings during the pandemic.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Arzeena said:

We were able to match to top Black on MSC via NCL status. I do not like MSC one bit. Tried them 3 times and that seems to be enough.
We did Princess to Hawaii as well. I LOVED that cruise. It was on Ruby Princess. The only other Princess we have been on was the Enchanted. LOVED that ship and staff/crew on board.
Also they were much better to deal with and more generous (than Royal or NCL) with all the returns and rebookings and reshiftings during the pandemic.

We were on Grand Princess for 15 nights from San Francisco-Hawaii-San Francisco.

2 nights pre-cruise in the Marker Hotel San Francisco.

We had a lovely visit to Alcatraz.

• Like 7