Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

8 hours ago, singinalot said:

got the hair done today for the trip

Have an amazing trip to NY, C & N. Along with London, my fav city.... pity is so far away from me 😢

Also, I like the color of your highlights. Exactly the one I try to "convey" to my hairdresser, but, somehow, he gets it on the "yellowish" side.... May be I'll show him your pic 😉

• Like 5

10 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I forgot to mention, I had my annual physical today.  Got a clean bill of health. Weeks of preparing my "fake body" paid off as all my numbers were good.  I can now go back to my regular overindulget self. Celebrated by going out to breakfast - ham & cheese omelet,  buttered toast, fried potatoes and not pictured 2 sausage links & 7 strips of bacon. 

20221020_135031.thumb.jpg.f29fb62bb66f5336143270d115c02aa6.jpg

But, still trying to keep somewhat healthy,  took a 5 mile walk on a rails-to-trail bike path. 

20221020_151523.thumb.jpg.7617fc696fa822fb8a563f86ded9b44a.jpg

20221020_153105.thumb.jpg.9082695619c62b0abe93720883331db4.jpg

I'm pleased for you that you got a clean bill of health.

Breakfast looks good.

It reminds me of my Denny's breakfast when we are in Orlando.

Graham.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, h20skibum said:

4.5 hours of sleep is about my average each night.  You mean people sleep longer than that?

6 for me. 

14 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Some are trying, but not always succeeding 😉

Hello insomnia, my old friend. 

12 hours ago, George C said:

I am a fan of afternoon naps also, have done it on cruises for decades since I like staying up late listening to music or gambling and want to wake up early enough for breakfast.  I am sure we would all like to that picture with you and Charlie.

George, I’m not saying this is you, but I always think that people having afternoon “naps”😉 on a cruise is a euphemism.  😝

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Welcome to Sydney!  Enjoy your time there!

Thanks. We are here just for turn around day. We will be back in 11 days and will stay here for 6 days.

13 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

…Beautiful shots sailing into Sydney. 

Thanks. It was worth getting up early for it.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is the equivalent of a cancellation for me since I don't have Paramount.

Moving under performing shows to streaming, instead of outright cancelling, seems to be a trend.  ABC did the same thing with Dancing with the Stars.  They moved it to Disney +.  We haven't made the move from cable to streaming but plan to look into it eventually.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, singinalot said:

also, the Samsung ice machine is now working ❤️🤞🙏

Sounds like you had a different problem, but we now need to defrost our Samsung ice maker about once every 3 weeks.  The ice melts and refreezes, causing an "ice bridge" that prevents new ice from forming and dropping into the bucket.  VERY annoying when I try to get ice and it's empty.  We bought a couple of ice trays and leave them in the freezer as backup ice because it happens so often.  Had the same problem with our Samsung fridge in Ohio.  I like the 4 door layout and ability to switch one of the lower sections between freezer and fridge, but never again will I buy a Samsung fridge.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I like the air tags. Are they exact? No but for the most part they can give you some peace of mind when traveling. Funny thing on the ship every time I left the cabin I got a notice that my luggage was left behind.

The "left behind" notification got annoying for me after a while, but I figured I could live with a bunch of false alarms if it ever did notify me of a real problem.  I played golf last week while wearing an Apple Watch and it started giving me notifications that my phone was left behind if I walked too far away from the golf cart (where my phone was).  I definitely turned that off, but could also see how that could be useful if you accidentally left your phone on a store counter or restaurant table and walked away.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Sounds like a great itinerary for a long weekend.  I'd be interested on your thoughts on Keen's steakhouse. I've never been but its' on my bucket list as I'm a carnivore.  Peter Luger in Brooklyn or Gallagher's are the usual gold standards of NYC steakhouses. 

Across the street from Keens is a Irish sports bar called The Keg Room, one of my pre-game, post-game watering holes when attending NY Ranger games. 🙂

@singinalot I’m also interested in your thoughts on Keen’s.  We’re doing an overnight in NYC in December with friends. Taking the train in and have tickets to 9/11Museum and the Intrepid.  I was torn between Keen’s and Gallagher’s but ended up making a reservation at Gallagher’s.  

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Sounds like you had a different problem, but we now need to defrost our Samsung ice maker about once every 3 weeks.  The ice melts and refreezes, causing an "ice bridge" that prevents new ice from forming and dropping into the bucket.  VERY annoying when I try to get ice and it's empty.  We bought a couple of ice trays and leave them in the freezer as backup ice because it happens so often.  Had the same problem with our Samsung fridge in Ohio.  I like the 4 door layout and ability to switch one of the lower sections between freezer and fridge, but never again will I buy a Samsung fridge.  

I didn’t do enough research before we bought ours. Fortunately we have a second refrigerator in the lower level and we always have a bag of ice in that freezer, but I like your idea of a couple of ice trays.  

• Like 1

This is one of our upcoming power packed weekends.

To begin with we traveled to Lordstown Ohio (The area know for the old GM plant and now the maker of a battery fueled truck),  to visit the annual Halloween event called FEAR FOREST.

It is a hayride through the cornfields on a tractor pulled people carrier modified from old school buses.

They had other stuff you could do, like the corn walk, (scary) or the Haunted mansion.

We arrived when the ticket sales began and it cost $12 per person for the 30 min. scare.

We sat up front of about 12 rows on each side and I told the DH he could have the seat closest to the window.  I would take the aisle seat.

We both had our fair share of monsters screaming from all angles.

It was cold, I wore my Parka, gloves, insulated socks.

It was done well,

Every monster to movie villain was acting at different locations through out the event.

From Jason, to clowns, to Jigsaw to cemetery's, to almost being crushed between to locomotive trains.

When we left the  parking lot was almost full.

4 police cars were directing traffic.

And the line to get tickets as well as get on the ride was wrapped around the snaking line, just like those wait lines at Disney.

I could not believe the new building had indoor restrooms as well as port a potties.

Lol, there was only one room with one toilet each for men, and women.

That line was also very very long.

I am glad I did not have to make a donation.

TODAY

We travel to the big city Akron to see Miami of Ohio play Akron University in a football match.

We will meet the Daughter there and hook up with the SIL after the game when he is done coaching.

SUNDAY

The baby shower.

Daughter wanted a Halloween themed event, and her colors are black and purple.

Mom took care of the rest with throwing some pink in............well more than just some.

Pictures will be shared later.

Take care.

• Like 17

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Same here, you sleep, but you don't wake up refreshed like after a "natural" sleep.

One of the reasons I've stopped taking sleeping pills. I reached the conclusion that after a sleepless night, I usually get 2 or even 3 nights of good, natural sleep.... Rinse and repeat....

Same for me except I usually need 2 or 3 sleepless nights to get a good, natural sleep. Last 2 nights were 4 hours, each night.  Attending a family wedding tonight which means another late night, although I will be limiting my wine intake as that tends to keep me tossing and turning well into the night. I'm sure Sunday into Monday I'll sleep well. Looking forward to it. 🙂

• Like 4

16 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I sleep 8 hours a night but wake up between 2 and 7 times to go to the bathroom.

I used to wake up every night at least once to go to the bathroom, sometimes 2-3 times.  Then, my amazing wife started getting into medicinal herbs and gardening.  She did some research and made some tinctures that I put in my morning smoothies every day.  Raspberry Leaf, Milk Thistle, Dandelion, and Stinging Nettle.  Since I started using those, one of the benefits is I now wake up in the middle of the night maybe once or twice per week.  Nature can be amazing.

15 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I have gotten into a habit now of taking an afternoon nap on the couch with the pups. They like to lay on me. Today Charlie was resting his head on the side of my face. I wish I had a pic of it.

I do kinda miss the afternoon naps that using my new (since early August) CPAP has made unnecessary.  Before I started using it, I was napping 5-6 days a week...always about an hour in the afternoon after getting home from work.  Since I started using the CPAP, I've can count the number of afternoon naps I've taken on one hand...and not use up all my fingers.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

PHILLIES WIN. 

Amazing win. 

It was great to see one of my favorite ex-Yankees, David Robertson - one of the 2017 victims - get the save last night.  Oh, and coming back from being down 5-0 against one of the greatest pitchers (Verlander) was also satisfying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Moving under performing shows to streaming, instead of outright cancelling, seems to be a trend.  ABC did the same thing with Dancing with the Stars.  They moved it to Disney +.  We haven't made the move from cable to streaming but plan to look into it eventually.

We recently downgraded our cable package to include just the channels we normally watch, because we are typically watching one of the streaming services.  We have Prime, Netflix, and Disney+.  Downgrading cable only knocked $50 off the bill, but we haven’t missed anything yet. 

• Like 6

So after I was done on the computer Lizzy must have figured out she would be in her room as she initially watched us get ready. So what does she do.  Yup. Hide. 

Calling her name did not work. 
Going to her favorite hiding spots. Nope.
So finally I look up. And see the vulture. 

Now you think she would have learned to not take risks after her flying lesson a few weeks back. And, yes she landed on her paws.
So a little bribing with kitty treats and she is safely in her room till we get home.  

E86C7985-CE71-4A34-8ADE-0944D616DF33.thumb.jpeg.b856fbdc9207b5e5c7c7c9051919c3b3.jpeg

• Like 11

12 hours ago, singinalot said:

given all the luggage concerns with airlines, I got us these air tags on sale this week

71AE8C85-A03B-445C-828C-13F03EED734D.thumb.jpeg.5ac8de068cef77f4e436333ccaa08fe1.jpeg

We fly Delta nonstop to La Guardia next Friday 🤞 Several plans in the works for our weekend in NYC: Tavern on the Green, Central Park, Keen’s steakhouse, 9/11 Memorial, Brooklyn, Meatpacking district

got the hair done today for the tripE06F56E3-5628-40ED-AF81-20DA147045CA.thumb.jpeg.a2f4d1e19a69b31c1a2cda82b7a9f343.jpeg

and finally, tonight’s sunset

I’m headed to Best Buy today to buy these.  I meant to order them from Amazon but forgot and we sail tomorrow on Voyager.  Flying home from San Juan on the 7th with a stop & plane change in Baltimore.  It’s the plane change that worries me most about potentially lost luggage. 
Your hair looks great!

Edited by Momof3gurlz
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

@singinalot I’m also interested in your thoughts on Keen’s.  We’re doing an overnight in NYC in December with friends. Taking the train in and have tickets to 9/11Museum and the Intrepid.  I was torn between Keen’s and Gallagher’s but ended up making a reservation at Gallagher’s.  

We love Gallagher’s and normally have a nite cap there every evening we are in NYC it is only a couple blocks from the michealanglo which is our favorite hotel. Another cool bar Is Sardi’s on the second floor . Peking duck house in Chinatown is also really nice used to see mayor Koch there many times. 9/11 museum is a must . Another interesting place in Ellen’s stardust diner which is a block from Gallagher’s and it’s staff is out of work singers who sing and dance on tables . So many restaurants and things to do . Trinity church a few blocks from 9/11 museum has a cemetery with some famous people from the revolution including Alexander Hamilton.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I forgot to mention, I had my annual physical today.  Got a clean bill of health.

Congratulations on a clean bill of health. Great way to celebrate with a really good meal.

12 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Technical difficulty....Eric has been making dark n Stormy's tonight and we are now out of goslings and kraken...and Phillies are losing😪

What will we do

Time for a Kraken run!

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

The "left behind" notification got annoying for me after a while, but I figured I could live with a bunch of false alarms if it ever did notify me of a real problem.  I played golf last week while wearing an Apple Watch and it started giving me notifications that my phone was left behind if I walked too far away from the golf cart (where my phone was).  I definitely turned that off, but could also see how that could be useful if you accidentally left your phone on a store counter or restaurant table and walked away.

I did not know that you can do that on the phone and get notified by your watch. What setting do you turn on to notify? I did a blunder on Liberty last week. Had my phone on the bar at R-bar and then got up to leave. I was walking down the hallway to my cabin when I felt my pocket and there was no phone. I panicked and ran down to the bar. The bartender smiled and said I knew you would be back I watched over it for you. Whew! I would hate to lose a brand new iPhone .

• Like 8

I also used to be part of the Samsung family - phones, digital cameras, 3 TV's and Refrigerator.  Was on the verge of buying Samsung washer and dryer combo but decided to go with tried-and-true Maytag.

The reason: 2 of the 3 TV's died in less than 3 years. Cost to repair about 75% of what a new TV is going for.  The 3rd TV is about 6 years old and some of the pixels are dying, leading to some weird color blotching.  Bought a LG and so far so good.

Refrigerator runs well enough but the pump for the water dispenser / ice maker is not strong enough to pull from the water line. Just a dribble from the water dispenser and it takes about a week to make a few cubes of ice. Was told we need to install an extra pump under the sink to boost the pressure, cost a few hundred dollars. Bought a few ice cube trays from the dollar store instead. And a Brita filter.

And I have no idea where the digital camera is. Haven't used it in years. It was just a simple point-n-shoot. My phone has a better camera and so far the phones work great

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 6

38 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

We travel to the big city Akron to see Miami of Ohio play Akron University in a football match.

Does Akron U have a new stadium or do they still play in the Rubber Bowl?  That is where I saw my 1st Rock Concert,  Jefferson Airplane.   Great memories. 

• Like 3