Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

32 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Can you please give me some more detail: How much was the taxi, how long to get there? Is this a different Ocean Club than the one that is not at the beach near the Versailles Gardens? I am interested in going, but the search brings up an Ocean Club that is in the middle of nowhere and not near to the Atlantis.

Thanks.

Editing: I found it! On Cabbage Beach? Hence your Atlantis reference. I get it. Thank you very much for the suggestion. Did you have to call ahead for lunch?

We did not call ahead (went in March of 2022) and had no problem but I think I would try to do reservations next time. It is beautiful there (part of Four Seasons) and we spent a few hours. Had lunch then walked around and then sat at the bar area for awhile. I don't remember cab pricing but we figured the whole thing cost less than most excursions--even with the cost of the Vesper martinis--bc you HAVE to have one there!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We decided to try something new last night with our grill...pizza.  Our grill can get pretty hot...up to almost 700F with all burners firing...so we thought it would make a good pizza oven.  We have a good pizza stone and a peel, so we were all set.  Since this was our first attempt, we (close your ears OB) purchased a pizza dough ball and some sauce in a jar.  We'll make our own dough and sauce in future attempts.  

Information that we had read on the Internet was conflicting, including some saying that you should bake the base for a couple of minutes on each side, remove and add toppings, then put bake on the grill for finishing.  We decided to add all toppings directly to the stretched dough while sitting on the peel, and then put the whole thing on the pre-heated stone, at about 500F.  We rotated it a few times and removed it at 10 minutes thinking that it looked done.  After cutting into it, the dough wasn't quite cooked, so we put it back on for another 5 minutes.  The taste was good, but the dough was tough/overcooked.  Not sure if we left it on the grill too long, or if homemade dough would have been better.  I'd say it was about on par with Sorrento's in the early evening (as opposed to late evening Sorrento's which tastes better 😁).  Good enough to satisfy our hunger but not particularly great.

Is anyone here a pizza expert who can suggest what we should do differently next time?  We're thinking about buying one of these Napoleon Pizza Stainless Steel Oven Topper For Gas Grills - 71200 | BBQGrills.com

Pepperoni and mushroom ready to cook.

IMG_1373.thumb.jpg.bec1f42124a568fc78017551781a2875.jpg

After a couple of minutes on the stone

IMG_1375.thumb.jpg.102cebe23dc90a6b5704f63671d60186.jpg

Finished product

IMG_1377.thumb.jpg.da2dcc25889f28a9702bd18634b0d1bc.jpg

Although I cook mine in the oven, we are at similar temperatures. This should work for you.   Timing is based on 550⁰.
We preheat the oven at 550⁰ for 1 hour with the stone in it. The dough ball sits out for the hour too.  I used to use cornmeal but now use parchment paper on the peel.  After forming the dough, set it on the parchment paper, then slide the pie, with the paper, onto the stone.  Bake it for 60 to 90 seconds on only one side.  I learned this from John on the Bella thread. 

image.thumb.png.ff647eb200ab568fa4e88c32884010cf.png

After removing the dough add the sauce and topping.

image.thumb.png.a43bb228ff6314dcf282120198af642c.png

Place it back in for 7 to 7.5 minutes. 

When using parchment paper be careful. When the pizza is done and you pull it out you need to be real steady with the peel.  The pizza can slide off easy.

image.thumb.png.cc7a771621324d396d50e3c3824fefe5.png

Look at the paper in the pics.  It turns brown but it doesn't catch on fire.

I love this pizza so much I rarely eat any other.  I think it's more about the dough and sauce than the cooking method.  If you want I will share my dough recipe. 

One more thing, if you like pesto and willing to try new things, substitute pesto for the sauce.   It's great!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Even so, getting the stretched dough on the peel can be a challenge.  Do you set the screen with the pizza on it, on top of the stone in the grill or directly on the grill grates?

We carry the screen, with the built pizza on top, to the grill and lay it directly on the pizza stone.

So, stretch the dough on the kitchen counter and then transfer it to the pizza screen.  Add the toppings, and right to the pizza stone.  Fifteen minutes later it's time to eat.

This discussion reminds me, I need to order a second pizza screen.  That way we can prepare the second pizza while the first one cooks.  

I suspect the pizza screen would work well in an oven too.  It just makes the process easier, not having to use a pizza peel and corn meal.

• Like 2

Well bummer. It looks like our move is going to delayed. On Sunday night we were coming in from the deck and tripped and fell on my right hip. The hip is fine, but I have a small fracture in my pelvis. I spent Monday night in the hospital. I am not ambulatory and have a wheelchair, walker and commode. PT person is supposed to start today. The pain is absolutely excruciating but fortunately it is not displaced. It will eventually heal on its own. Just miserable in the meantime.

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

IMG_4693.thumb.jpeg.0c34aef657cab5c1f9e58de4afab78a1.jpeg

Guess I got my work cut out for me. New grading around the foundation. Have shovel will travel. If you don’t hear from me after a few days check local hospital for heart attack victim.😜

Not sure if you use the nextdoor.com I use it a lot get recommendations for handymen, restaurants, etc etc . Lots of handymen etc logon also . You can do a search on what you need also.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Well bummer. It looks like our move is going to delayed. On Sunday night we were coming in from the deck and tripped and fell on my right hip. The hip is fine, but I have a small fracture in my pelvis. I spent Monday night in the hospital. I am not ambulatory and have a wheelchair, walker and commode. PT person is supposed to start today. The pain is absolutely excruciating but fortunately it is not displaced. It will eventually heal on its own. Just miserable in the meantime.

Sorry to read that. You are very fortunate that it is not displaced. It will heal quicker this way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I am sorry to hear this.  You have worked so hard on your move!  I hope the pain becomes more manageable soon and you heal quickly. 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Although I cook mine in the oven, we are at similar temperatures. This should work for you.   Timing is based on 550⁰.
We preheat the oven at 550⁰ for 1 hour with the stone in it. The dough ball sits out for the hour too.  I used to use cornmeal but now use parchment paper on the peel.  After forming the dough, set it on the parchment paper, then slide the pie, with the paper, onto the stone.  Bake it for 60 to 90 seconds on only one side.  I learned this from John on the Bella thread. 

image.thumb.png.ff647eb200ab568fa4e88c32884010cf.png

After removing the dough add the sauce and topping.

image.thumb.png.a43bb228ff6314dcf282120198af642c.png

Place it back in for 7 to 7.5 minutes. 

When using parchment paper be careful. When the pizza is done and you pull it out you need to be real steady with the peel.  The pizza can slide off easy.

image.thumb.png.cc7a771621324d396d50e3c3824fefe5.png

Look at the paper in the pics.  It turns brown but it doesn't catch on fire.

I love this pizza so much I rarely eat any other.  I think it's more about the dough and sauce than the cooking method.  If you want I will share my dough recipe. 

One more thing, if you like pesto and willing to try new things, substitute pesto for the sauce.   It's great!

Thanks John...I'll definitely give this a try.  We both love pesto and this is in our plans also.  Had one of the best pizzas of our life in one of the Cinque Terra villages (I think Vernazza but not sure)...loads of fresh pesto.  So good!

IMG_3819.thumb.jpg.7d92bf37ac35aa6616f7b95d9f0ccf02.jpg 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Oh no.  I hope you heal and feel better quickly

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

I hope you heal fast. Sending you best wishes and hugs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just finished my weekly Singing for People With Parkinsons session.Today 202 attended the Zoom .Not only people in the US but as far as South Africa along with our regulars from Ireland and the UK.

Today we sang songs by the Beatles,Bachman Turner Overdrive as well as original songs written and recorded by those in the group as well as original songs recorded by professional singers.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Beryl really hit Texas hard.  My brother is about 30 minutes from Houston and has no power. He said he never saw a storm this bad except maybe Ike.

Was he living there in 2008? In 2007 I toured the Endeavor High Rise Apartment building supposedly built in such a way so that they would be storm proof .In 2008 a hurricane totally destroyed the building.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

Ouch, sorry to hear this.  Take it easy and rest up while you can.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Was he living there in 2008? In 2007 I toured the Endeavor High Rise Apartment building supposedly built in such a way so that they would be storm proof .In 2008 a hurricane totally destroyed the building.

He has been in Texas over forty years.

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

It's amazing that the summer seems endless when your a kid but goes by in the blink of an eye as an adult.  Although no longer working, I still think in terms of "summer weekends" since most of my family & friends still work. And most of my summer weekends have been booked before summer even began. I like having a few open weekends for spur-of-the-moment activities.

When you were a kid you could engage in non stop summer activity 24 hours a day .When you are old you cannot do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

So very sorry to hear about your fall. The same thing happened to a friend of mine. She said she could barely walk. I hope your pt person can help you get some relief. 

3 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

He has been in Texas over forty years.

I cannot recall the name of the hurricane that caused so much destruction in 2008 where my friends in a Houston suburb lived but after that storm they relocated to a suburb of Dallas and lived there the rest of their lives.

This was my view today, as Andy and I went to Virginia Beach for lunch. We only live 30 minutes from there but rarely go. It was in the 90s at home but windy and low 80s at the beach.  It was a lovely day. 

20240710_132839.thumb.jpg.806b4755095a3e8539e552cc6e1a3f2e.jpg

• Like 18

25 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I cannot recall the name of the hurricane that caused so much destruction in 2008 where my friends in a Houston suburb lived but after that storm they relocated to a suburb of Dallas and lived there the rest of their lives.

Hurricane Ike 2008

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

How awful! Such a small accident to have a profound effect. I hope your PT person can be helpful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MJSailors said:

@Sea Dog I offer you two words-

Hire someone

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

I don’t mind getting the exercise. Quit today after 4 hours. Back is hurting pretty good and I will be sore tomorrow. Knees did well. 1/4 of the pile is gone.

• Like 8