Celebrity Cruises - where are our ships?

EnthDegree

We were in Miami Sunday and Monday nights and Fort Lauderdale as of last night. Saw the Silhouette and Reflection in Port of Miami and the Edge in Port Everglades. Definitely bittersweet. Saw an MSC ship sailing back out yesterday morning. Hoping we’ll be back by next Fall. 

Like everyone else on these boards....we all want to sail.   Stay safe everyone, get the vaccine, and “away we’ll go”.      We just did Lift and Shift for a late March 2022 cruise.....will have to survive now until November 2020.   Be safe everyone.

• 1 month later...

Though we would do an update on where all our ladies are.

Apex, Edge, Equinox, Reflection, Silhouette and Summit are all off the Bahamas;

Constellation and Infinity are off Piraeus, Greece;

Millenium is on her own off San Diego;

Eclipse and Solstice are off Manilla, Philippines; and

Flora and XPedition are still off the Galapagos.

With the announcement of the cancellation of Edge and Constellation's European 2021 seasons we must wonder if this is the end for Connie - will she ever carry Celebrity guests again!

...and where will they deploy Edge and Captain Kate now?

Edited by EnthDegree

30 minutes ago, EnthDegree said:

Though we would do an update on where all our ladies are.

Apex, Edge, Equinox, Reflection, Silhouette and Summit are all off the Bahamas;

Millenium is on her own off San Diego;

Eclipse and Solstice are off Manilla, Philippines; and

Flora and XPedition are still off the Galapagos.

With the announcement of the cancellation of Edge and Constellation's European 2021 seasons we must wonder if this is the end for Connie - will she ever carry Celebrity guests again!

...and where will they deploy Edge and Captain Kate now?

X is supposedly keeping Connie out of service, on standby,  in case there is an opening at the shipyard to do her “revolution” renovations which have been delayed due to the pandemic.

7 hours ago, EnthDegree said:

Piraeus was mentioned in an article I was just reading about scrapping cruise ships and your mention made me think "hmmm" - but I hope it's like C-Dragons posted above and Connie is just waiting on standby to see about renovations instead!

"According to Vagelis Chatziginnis, a senior trader at GMS Leadership (one such company that organizes ship scrapping), most of the vessel scrapping in 2020 took place in Turkey.

“We have seen a couple of units being sold for recycling in India already, but a couple of units is nothing compared to the numbers we've seen in Turkey so far,” Chatziginnis told Cruise Industry News. “Some of these larger cruise ships (are) being laid up in locations like Greece, for example, until more spaces are available to digest in Turkey.”

"A role of a company like GMS is to organize the entire recycling process.

“So, ultimately the ownership and responsibility of the vessel would be transferred to the owning entity that would be buying the vessel. The cruise line has nothing to do anymore with the vessel. And thereafter, we are arranging the transportation from point A to point B,” Chatziginnis said.

“Let's say you're taking delivery of a cruise vessel and, let's say, from Piraeus.

So, from Piraeus in Greece, we put our crew onboard, and we arrange for the unit to go to Turkey. We are (then) sending the unit to the recycling facility, and the recycling facility has to pay for purchasing the vessel to recycle in accordance with the standards that we're going to agree on,” he added.

GMS also vets the requirements of the original owner for regulations that need to be complied with and then guides them with how to proceed with the scraping in the best interests of the cruise industry".

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24172-how-to-scrap-a-cruise-ship-and-what-they-go-for.html

Despite their age relative to the rest of the X fleet, both Connie and Infinity are pretty news in terms of the 'secondary' cruise lines, and neither is in bad shape.  I could see them being sold long before being scrapped.

I wonder how cheap I could get one if I win the Powerball... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, D C said:

Despite their age relative to the rest of the X fleet, both Connie and Infinity are pretty news in terms of the 'secondary' cruise lines, and neither is in bad shape.  I could see them being sold long before being scrapped.

I wonder how cheap I could get one if I win the Powerball... 

Maybe they will follow the lead of Royal Caribbean - just placed an older ship Grandeur of the Seas to homeport in Barbados.  I have taken Grandeur out of Baltimore.  Maybe one of these M-Class ships might possibly be re-directed to homeport in the Caribbean too?  For short itineraries until after the pandemic?  

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

The port of San Diego is one of the best.  Extremely well run, very easy to maneuver.  Sailed from there on 2 NCL cruises I took several years ago.

Agree

Loved sailing from this port.  A few days  there pre cruise were excellent...so much to do...beautiful parks, museums, the zoo, dining.    Easy to go from hotel to ship...

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

Agree

Loved sailing from this port.  A few days  there pre cruise were excellent...so much to do...beautiful parks, museums, the zoo, dining.    Easy to go from hotel to ship...

I lived there for 10 years, so made it so easy to embark from.  I now moved back to my New England roots, and after a day like yesterday and today, I ask myself, you did this why!!

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I lived there for 10 years, so made it so easy to embark from.  I now moved back to my New England roots, and after a day like yesterday and today, I ask myself, you did this why!!

Well, flights to Europe from New England are cheaper, tell yourself.  I would wonder too.  If we ever had the occasion to move to the USA, (not likely now) we would pick San Diego.

Reflection - Barbados

Silhouette - Barbados

Equinox - CocoCay

Apex - CocoCay

Edge - CocoCay 

Summit - CocoCay

Eclipse - enroute to Singapore

Solstice - Singapore drydock

Millenium - San Diego

Infinity - off the coast of Cyprus

Constellation - enroute to Spetses

On 2/6/2021 at 1:40 AM, Jeremiah1212 said:

Reflection - Barbados

Silhouette - Barbados

Equinox - CocoCay

Apex - CocoCay

Edge - CocoCay 

Summit - CocoCay

Eclipse - enroute to Singapore

Solstice - Singapore drydock

Millenium - San Diego

Infinity - off the coast of Cyprus

Constellation - enroute to Spetses

Many thanks for the update.

The situation going forward is beginning to look extremely confused. With the ban on all cruise ships docking in Canadian ports then Eclipse, Millenium and Solstice will have to be reassigned to new duties.

Perhaps as Eclipse and Solstice are currently in or near Singapore they will be retained in South East Asia over the next six months so that they will be there to recommence cruising to New Zealand, Australia and the South Pacific for the 2021-22 high season.

Interesting that Reflection and Silhouette which are both stationed off the Bahamas are not on the list of vessels moored there which have met the stringent CDC Covid-19 Response Plan [Code Green] for vessels which are to operate out of U S waters. This may be because they are still destined for their European summer itineraries and would sail with crew only from Stateside to Amsterdam and Southampton respectively rather than fulfil their TA's with passengers and the honorous CDC protocols.

Then there is Connie. She is moored off Athens at the moment with apparently nothing on her books now until November sailings from Tampa. Will she come back Stateside or may she be destined for the ship graveyards of Turkey?

Food for thought?

Remember - stay safe, stay healthy, get the vaccines and that way we may all be back aboard our beloved ships in the not too distant future. Here's hoping!

5 hours ago, EnthDegree said:

Many thanks for the update.

The situation going forward is beginning to look extremely confused. With the ban on all cruise ships docking in Canadian ports then Eclipse, Millenium and Solstice will have to be reassigned to new duties.

Perhaps as Eclipse and Solstice are currently in or near Singapore they will be retained in South East Asia over the next six months so that they will be there to recommence cruising to New Zealand, Australia and the South Pacific for the 2021-22 high season.

Interesting that Reflection and Silhouette which are both stationed off the Bahamas are not on the list of vessels moored there which have met the stringent CDC Covid-19 Response Plan [Code Green] for vessels which are to operate out of U S waters. This may be because they are still destined for their European summer itineraries and would sail with crew only from Stateside to Amsterdam and Southampton respectively rather than fulfil their TA's with passengers and the honorous CDC protocols.

Then there is Connie. She is moored off Athens at the moment with apparently nothing on her books now until November sailings from Tampa. Will she come back Stateside or may she be destined for the ship graveyards of Turkey?

Food for thought?

Remember - stay safe, stay healthy, get the vaccines and that way we may all be back aboard our beloved ships in the not too distant future. Here's hoping!

Reflection and Silhouette are actually in Barbados rather than The Bahamas. It will be interesting to see those two ships do. I cannot see a summer Europe season happening, but Barbados has been slightly easier to work with for crew movement purposes earlier in the pandemic. There was speculation that RCL is porting Grandeur there as a thank you, of sorts. There's also a good chance they do nothing and go into extended storage there. 

7 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

Infinity is on the move, after bunkering in Cyprus she is destined for Algiceras with arrival on Sunday 14 February.

Infinity.jpg

Interesting...they have a large dry dock facility there. Although I can't see them spending too much money right now. Maybe just the new blue paint?

Edited by WNcruiser