Latest on over 70 restrictions

dgreeney

Princess just released a detailed announcement regarding changes made in response to Covid-19 to futures cruises. It is not clear as to how over 70 passengers are affected. Anyone have any news about doctor’s Ok?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

23 minutes ago, footballbabe3 said:

I’m afraid they aren’t going to let people with diabetes or heart issues Cruise at all. My husband had a bypass at 35 he’s fine now but he does have diabetes. With these being things so harmful if you get the virus I’m worried 

Overweight is just as bad, but they dont ask about that lol. 

• Like 1

Dated April 24,2020

I just read that Carnival guests 70 and older need a note from their doctor or will be denied boarding.  But, isn’t this just the same old news ??  I read this here on CC NEWS, under the CARNIVAL info place. 

Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18

I know that Princess, Carnival, HAL.etc are all under the Carnival Corp "umbrella," so I guess it's totally illogical to think they would have same basic guidelines re age, social distancing regs etc.......
What

You mean logical?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’ll be turning 60 in August, which is freaking me out as my brain says I’m 40...regardless if they effectively cut out the 70+ crowd I would think that would make a big dent in sales. I’m often the youngest I see when I’m looking around various ships...

4 hours ago, footballbabe3 said:

I’m afraid they aren’t going to let people with diabetes or heart issues Cruise at all. My husband had a bypass at 35 he’s fine now but he does have diabetes. With these being things so harmful if you get the virus I’m worried 

I don't think being diabetic necessarily disqualifies someone. Some 100 million Americans are diabetic or prediabetic, with 30 million being diabetic. I think it is more a question for a qualified medical professional.

• Like 1

My doctor can't give out my personal medical information to anyone without my permission, so what would make any cruise line think I'm going to give it to them? And even if I did, how do they plan on keeping that info secure and private? Just wondering.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pyrate13 said:

My doctor can't give out my personal medical information to anyone without my permission, so what would make any cruise line think I'm going to give it to them? And even if I did, how do they plan on keeping that info secure and private? Just wondering.

Since there are threads on both HAL and Princess having been hacked, you make an excellent point about the security of medical information if given to any cruise line.

16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Overweight is just as bad, but they dont ask about that lol. 

Over 40% of adult  Americans are not only overweight but obese. From what I've seen on cruise ships it's more like 60%. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't think being diabetic necessarily disqualifies someone. Some 100 million Americans are diabetic or prediabetic, with 30 million being diabetic. I think it is more a question for a qualified medical professional.

You are absolutely right.  In addition, there are 2 types of diabetes:  Type 1 and Type 2.  With Type 1, you would need to take Insulin daily.  With Type 2, you might take a lesser amount of insulin or control it with diet alone. 

This restrictions wont work at all. There are a bunch of young people who might have chronic diseases and cause troubles on board. I know some people over 70 who are much healthier than the majority of modern young people. Also there is a question of how this new policy "over 70" will be enforced. I doubt that cruisers will enforce it anyhow. 

Princess’ new information does not mention any age limit, but does say they will require a more extensive health questionnaire, a basic health check (temperature scan, etc.) and a secondary screening by medical personnel at the pier, if warranted, before being allowed to board.

If they allow you to board and later find you falsified information on the health questionnaire or questions during the health screening, you will be put off the ship at the first opportunity and may face additional legal consequences.

From the Princess website:

“B. Travel Restrictions: Guests and crew members meeting certain criteria will be unable to sail. Guests who are unable to sail because of a failure to meet the following criteria will be issued a full cruise credit or refund:

1. If you have been in contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19, or a person under monitoring for COVID-19

If you are suffering from a fever or flu-like symptoms prior to embarkation.

If you have an underlying severe chronic medical condition.

The above requirements apply to all guests, crew members, service staff and visitors.

2. PRIOR TO EMBARKATION – WHAT TO EXPECT

A. Thermal Scanning of All Guests and Crew: Activated at select embarkation terminals beginning March 7 and as soon as possible in all embarkation terminals globally, we will be checking body temperatures of all guests intending to board our ships using temporal scanning thermometers. All guests presenting with a fever or flu-like symptoms will be denied boarding, irrespective of their recent travel history. All guests who are denied boarding due to sickness will be issued a full cruise credit or refund.

B. Health Screening of All Guests and Crew: Our medical experts are coordinating closely with international health authorities, and together we have developed a written traveler’s health declaration to be completed by all guests and crew prior to boarding. This health declaration screens for COVID-19 and advises guests and crew of their obligation to report any symptoms of illness.

Please note: Given the serious nature of these circumstances, false responses on pre- boarding documents will result in immediate disembarkation at the next opportunity. Individuals who do not disclose symptoms of illness may also face additional legal consequences.

C. Enhanced Screening for Certain Guests and Crew: Certain individuals will only be permitted to board based on successful secondary screening results. Secondary screenings will be conducted by the medical staff in the terminal prior to embarkation.

3 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

My understanding is that no personal med info is requested, just do you have any chronic conditions that make you unfit to sail, yes or no, not the specific medical condition.  Don't know if this violates HIPPA or not.  

the point is if they get stuck at see for additional quarantine again, will people with heart conditions and diabetes (especially with insulin requirements)  be ok?

And my question about the one coming in contact with COVID 19 patients.  I'm a RN, soon. Does that mean no medical professionals can cruise at all? I wear PPE, am I protected? 

35 minutes ago, Roz said:

My understanding is that no personal med info is requested, just do you have any chronic conditions that make you unfit to sail, yes or no, not the specific medical condition.  Don't know if this violates HIPPA or not.  

As far as I'm concerned, just asking if you have any chronic conditions is personal private medical information.

59 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

This restrictions wont work at all. There are a bunch of young people who might have chronic diseases and cause troubles on board. I know some people over 70 who are much healthier than the majority of modern young people. Also there is a question of how this new policy "over 70" will be enforced. I doubt that cruisers will enforce it anyhow. 

2/3 of all covid-19 deaths in NY were people 70 and older. In fact 90% were 50 and over so unfortunately complications with this virus go way up with age. 

21 minutes ago, Pugs&Kisses said:

the point is if they get stuck at see for additional quarantine again, will people with heart conditions and diabetes (especially with insulin requirements)  be ok?

And my question about the one coming in contact with COVID 19 patients.  I'm a RN, soon. Does that mean no medical professionals can cruise at all? I wear PPE, am I protected? 

Hopefully by the time ships start sailing again you won't be coming into contact with Covid-19 patients.