Later Embarkations; no boarding day lunch, cabins ready, Seapass activated at muster station + other ideas

Just now, molly361 said:

My Jet blue flight into Westchester in June just got cancelled today.  I know you wanted to know this😇

Thank you for the information. I still didn't cancel the flight. Did they say why they canceled?

9 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Thank you for the information. I still didn't cancel the flight. Did they say why they canceled?

No  they cancelled all flights into Westchester thru June from Orlando at least don't know about other cities

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

And when I posted that I was suspucious that I may have been seeing cases back in December some know-it-all on these boards said it was impossible. I'm too lazy to go back and find the post.

a "know-it-all" on cruise critic, say it aint so joe, 😜🌲

• Haha 3

On 4/25/2020 at 10:44 AM, LMaxwell said:

I could envision changes to embarkation in the future. 

Later embarkation not starting until 2 or 3 PM. 

Will allow for longer period of time to clean ship; have shore based contractors onboard "fogging" areas of ship while regular onboard staff continue things like changing sheets, preparing rooms, minor paint and varnish touch ups. 

Will allow for time to "fog" the terminal after disembarking passengers leave and new ones arrive. 

Cabins ready at boarding and no more embarkation day lunch buffet. The madhouse of buffet first day (when other dining venues are limited) always creates crowding and long lines. By delaying embarkation and making cabins ready (and no lunch) that would change behaviors of passengers from needing to schlep carryons into a crowded restaurant; to treating it more like a hotel where they go to their rooms after checking in and drop off carryons immediately. By the point in the day crew will have finished their turnover and can actually get some rest before preparing to serve new guests in the evening and all week (turnover day is very tough on crew). As such you reduce the number of crew interacting with guests in hallways and buffet. 

Room doors all will be propped open; Seapass cards will be in the rooms.  

Why keys in the rooms?  You want to encourage people not to all crowd to the same spot upon boarding. You want them to locate their room and identify the physical path to their muster stations (emergency can happen any time, true, and people not in their room all week - but still seems better than locating muster station the moment you board before acclimating yourself with any base starting point or ).  You want them to put away as much non-essential items before they go around the ships.  

At this point, taken from another thread, guests could go locate their muster stations during a window of time before scheduled sailaway at which point scanning the Seapass would activate it.  No drink packages, charging ability, etc. would work until cards are scanned at muster. 

Lol,nope. Vacinne comes and most of these things wont happen. Until then no cruising. The whole cruise is people on top of each other for the most part. These few things dont matter. People are a foot away from each ither on the ships in common areas.

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Dr Faunci had commented about the idea of an immunity passport/card and said it is a possibility for future but still unknown if anyone really is immune as it will all take time to see what happens next fall/winter after we rebound from this winter.

I also heard on the news this morning they suspect the virus had arrived in the US as early as november or december.  Bad flu / pneumonia season was being reported then and first known cases in China were early november.  Now remember that is after they had formulated a test to see what it was.

So this could have been around earlier than anyone knew about it.

At some point this will be in our past and we will all go on cruises then.

Not in america. Remember we have a constitution and a bill of rights. This isnt happening.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

And when I posted that I was suspucious that I may have been seeing cases back in December some know-it-all on these boards said it was impossible. I'm too lazy to go back and find the post.

It's funny how all the legal experts became medical experts so quickly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

18 minutes ago, molly361 said:

No  they cancelled all flights into Westchester thru June from Orlando at least don't know about other cities

I think JetBlue - like many other airlines- are consolidating flights to one airport. As Westchester airport is pretty tiny, makes sense to move the flights to one of the other big 3 airports.  

Westchester airport is actually closed right now, taking advantage of the drop in demand, to do so much needed runway repairs. Scheduled to reopen end of May with AA returning June 3 and Jetblue on June 10. 

Sooooo, let's see how that goes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I think JetBlue - like many other airlines- are consolidating flights to one airport. As Westchester airport is pretty tiny, makes sense to move the flights to one of the other big 3 airports.  

Westchester airport is actually closed right now, taking advantage of the drop in demand, to do so much needed runway repairs. Scheduled to reopen end of May with AA returning June 3 and Jetblue on June 10. 

Sooooo, let's see how that goes.

That what I was thinking. My flights are JFK which is the hub.

Since the thread was already hijacked let me add:

My husband still works front line in a hospital as a Respiratory Therapist.

I am retired nurse anesthetist.

We are fortunate that we are one of the Hospitals in Ohio to have adequate PPE.

But I want to share is that around February 5th. of this year he got severely sick.

Started as a runny nose.

Sinus Congestion

Ears plugged

Scratchy throat

Fever x 6 days as high as 101.4 (not knowing any better he took Ibuprofen alternating with Tylenol)

Horrendous cough, mostly at night for 10-12 days.

Lungs clear, no wheezing or decreased breath sounds 

During this time we were finalizing plans for our daughters engagement party.

He started to feel better around February 19th.

So the party went on.

Thank God not one of the 75 guest at the party got sick with any type of respiratory disease.

So he works with all the Covid + patients, managing airways, intubating and setting up and weaning ventilators.  

Now mind you, we both think now that hindsight, he could have had Covid in early February.

So he contacted the infectious disease doctor at the hospital where he works.

The doctor said the only way to verify if he did have covid is to run a test for antibodies,  however, not all people who had covid develop antibodies. So it is still inconclusive.

Besides the flu was rampant at this time.

However if he does show antibodies, he will be asked to donate some of his plasma to help others.

But our facility does not offer the screening yet, but Cleveland Clinic does.

They can draw a sample and send to Cleveland to test.

They are only at this time testing previously  covid + patients for antibodies. He does not qualify.

So it will only be a matter of time till we know if he can be tested.

By the way, I only had some mild symptoms and have no clue if I had covid or not.

My symptoms were

sinus congestion

Low grade fever for 3 days  (99.5 was highest)

Headaches

Scratchy throat

mild cough

Achy joints

Night time terror dreams

Thanks

Stay healthy

I have no idea when cruising will returnM but the health of the world will have to be at a great place/standard.  The cruise lines can’t afford one disaster when they return. They will need the best plan, and prepare for a ship returning with COVID positive guests. Maybe they have a ship in port for the contagious for quarantine.  Anyone who gets it on a cruise, gets packed up and sent to it until they are healthy.  No one will want to be on that ship, but if you want cruise badly enough that could be a reality.🤷‍♂️

As I read this thread it got me thinking how cruising is really the polar opposite of social distancing.  Thousands of people crowded shoulder to shoulder from check in, to the bars, to the pool deck, to shows, to meals, to ports of call, to the moment one disembarks. IMO cruising will be a shadow of what it once was, until there is a vaccine. The more I think about it I’m glad that my next cruise isn’t until January of next year. 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Lol,nope. Vacinne comes and most of these things wont happen. Until then no cruising. The whole cruise is people on top of each other for the most part. These few things dont matter. People are a foot away from each ither on the ships in common areas.

But it's comical and somewhat entertaining to read all the suggestions here about how they'll manage "social distancing" on cruise ships.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jrapps said:

I personally feel that for cruising to resume they will need to do a rapid blood test of all guests before boarding. I heard that Emirates airlines in Dubai was doing this. If all guests are cleared at boarding and all crew are tested daily then the need for severe social distancing onboard is reduced. Not eliminated but I think it will make cruising possible again.

Huge difference between a less than 14 hour confinement of ~350 people and spending 160 hours in close proximity of ~5,000 people.

Daily testing of crew is not really feasible. It is costly both for the test and lost hours. But also because it would be quite difficult to keep separate negative test subjects from the yet to be tested.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

I never go to the departure lounge...we stay in our cabin until departure time.  We usually have an earlier departure tag time, and don't use self assist.  

We have never been there either. Out timing always worked out so far that we took the elevator down and out we went not stuck with the crowds 😄

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Newleno said:

with united states work rules/regulations those jobs would be a blast (travel the world for free, food, shelter, health care), except for bar tender i would not want that job.

Sure, tell that to the crew on the Pride of America.  See how many leave well before the end of their first contract.  The work rules are set by the IMO, not "US".

4 hours ago, rtazz17 said:

Greater than 50% of the population refuse the annual influenza vaccine. How do we ensure that those boarding the ship have had the vaccine?
Don’t get me wrong, I agree; I’m just questioning the feasibility of enforcement and compliance. 

38 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Sure, tell that to the crew on the Pride of America.  See how many leave well before the end of their first contract.  The work rules are set by the IMO, not "US".

that is why i said with " united states work rules/regulations" ,  regular rules not the indentured servant stuff.

32 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Can you point out to me the part of the constitution that would apply here?

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution primarily but also 9 and 10

Edited by Newleno
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bouhunter said:

But it's comical and somewhat entertaining to read all the suggestions here about how they'll manage "social distancing" on cruise ships.

Just some ideas.  Glad you are amused.  Do you have anything to positively contribute to the conversation? Or, if not suggestions, just some things you think will see changed? Look forward to your input. 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Newleno said:

that is why i said with " united states work rules/regulations" ,  regular rules not the indentured servant stuff.

But, you won't find "united states work rules/regulations" on ships.  I work on ships, US flag ships, and we work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day until we get off the ship.  These are US work rules and regulations, and are agreeable to US maritime unions.  Most of the crew on the POA make minimum wage, and overtime is 125% of straight time, though it started out at actually less than the straight time, which is legal provided that the collective bargaining agent for the crew agrees with it.

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

But, you won't find "united states work rules/regulations" on ships.  I work on ships, US flag ships, and we work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day until we get off the ship.  These are US work rules and regulations, and are agreeable to US maritime unions.  Most of the crew on the POA make minimum wage, and overtime is 125% of straight time, though it started out at actually less than the straight time, which is legal provided that the collective bargaining agent for the crew agrees with it.

🤔  Sorry dont know what else to say here,   If there were regular work rules that job would be a blast for me, but there is not regular work rules so for me it would not be a blast. Long Term Capital Management and Enron always had the smartest guys in the room.

18 minutes ago, Newleno said:

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution primarily but also 9 and 10

HMMM, not seeing anything in there about an immunity passport or card.  When I enlisted in the Air Force, they made me prove  what vaccines I had received, put them in a book I had to carry, and then added the injections they gave me, Are you saying my Constitutional rights were violated?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

HMMM, not seeing anything in there about an immunity passport or card.  When I enlisted in the Air Force, they made me prove  what vaccines I had received, put them in a book I had to carry, and then added the injections they gave me, Are you saying my Constitutional rights were violated?

I don't think you can really equate military and civilian life when it comes to rights.

• Like 1