Later Embarkations; no boarding day lunch, cabins ready, Seapass activated at muster station + other ideas

One thought I had about changes was the necessity for a containment if someone developed the virus while onboard.  They will need a large number of cabins devoted to this.  perhaps they could take the lowest deck cabins, all inside and OV cabins that are the least desirable, and commit them to the medical team.  Also, I'm sure that medical staff onboard will double or even triple once cruising starts back up.

1 hour ago, datolim said:

Don't understand 'what class society inspects these ships'

Yes these young handsome Swedish Captains would lose everything including their freedom.

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Classification societies, or class societies, or simply "class" in maritime parlance are surveyors who act as insurance underwriters, and they inspect ships for the things listed in the linked article, ranging from the construction of the vessel, it's current structural condition, it's safety equipment, the condition of all machinery, how the company does it's business (the ISM or International Safety Management Code), and a few other things.  A "certificate of class" stating that the ship meets the class society's rules for ships, must be obtained before a "certificate of registry" (think of your car or home title) from the flag state can be obtained, and before the ship will be allowed to purchase hull insurance or enter into a P&I (protection and indemnity) insurance club that covers claims for damages to third parties.  All class societies rules will follow SOLAS and other international conventions (MARPOL, STCW, ISM, ISPS) at the minimum.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

But the mentality has always been to ignore boarding by deck number requests. Pinnacle’s will be onboard with this?

It's rarely book by deck anymore. They just ask for a slot. 

As far as Pins, Suites, etc. Maybe they get better slots

• Thanks 1

For those who are horrified at the idea of later boarding and no lunch being available, I can say from experience (yeah, I am old) that boarding a cruise was not always a "get on board early"  stampede .

Cruise were sold as a certain number of "nights"  and boarding was later in the afternoon or early evening depending on departure time.

Depending on the boarding time, the cruise line might have provided a cold buffet of sandwiches and salads as a snack.

The later boarding time did not inconvenient passengers as passengers knew when they could board and planned their day for the arrival time at port.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If we all ever hope to sail again we need to be ready to accept some necessary changes.  

It may not be what we prefer, or what we are used to but hopefully it will make for a safer environment for us all.

I know not everyone is good at being flexible but it is something we all better get used to and STOP complaining about it!!  😁😁

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Homosassa said:

For those who are horrified at the idea of later boarding and no lunch being available, I can say from experience (yeah, I am old) that boarding a cruise was not always a "get on board early"  stampede .

Cruise were sold as a certain number of "nights"  and boarding was later in the afternoon or early evening depending on departure time.

Depending on the boarding time, the cruise line might have provided a cold buffet of sandwiches and salads as a snack.

The later boarding time did not inconvenient passengers as passengers knew when they could board and planned their day for the arrival time at port.

Agree.  

I have no problem at all with the later sail away in embarkation ports as in San Juan or Alaska.   From those ports, the ships don't leave until 8 or 8:30.  

Gives the ship plenty of time for turn around, and pax plenty of time to get to their ship.  

• Like 1

My initial response was that I would hate to miss most of the first day, but within seconds I realized that ideas like these will make it possible to get back to cruising.  I think it is a good thing to share these ideas so it won’t come as a shock when they are presented by the cruise lines all at once; it gives us some time to adjust gradually and learn to lower our expectations.  Not all of these things would necessarily need to be permanent changes.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Some of the ideas have merit, that does not mean I would like them. The strict boarding times is problematic for many given when they fly in, hotel check-out, etc. For someone that lives seven minutes away ( you know who you are 😜), or, like us always leaves from our Orlando house for any Florida sailing, it’s not a big deal. 

Personally, I’m a whole lot less worried about the cleanliness of the ship than I am the other 6000 passengers coming from all over the globe. The ships are probably cleaner than any other place I go—— until the 6000 arrive. More time between disembarkation and embarkation may happen but to me the bigger issue is the passengers and the cruise lines procedures on what they will do when a positive test occurs, which it surely will.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 6

51 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

My initial response was that I would hate to miss most of the first day, but within seconds I realized that ideas like these will make it possible to get back to cruising.  I think it is a good thing to share these ideas so it won’t come as a shock when they are presented by the cruise lines all at once; it gives us some time to adjust gradually and learn to lower our expectations.  Not all of these things would necessarily need to be permanent changes.

Agreed.  I think most (not all 😉) would gladly do without that first day's lunch, or sacrifice a couple of extra hours on the ship if it meant the difference between cruising and not cruising.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This woul be a great opportunity to enhance both embaraktion and debarkation days. You could have debarkating guests vacate their cabins by 10:00 and extend the departure process until 11:00, with Breakfast venues open as on  every day. This would let you end the cruise much more relaxed as not everyone has early flights. On the other hand boarding would commence at 2PM with cabins already ready an no lunch except for a limited selection of speciality items at speciality venues such as Izumi, Johnny Rockets etc (New concepts that could be developed) + bars to be open of course. All other venues will only open as of 5PM / at sailaway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

But the mentality has always been to ignore boarding by deck number requests. Pinnacle’s will be onboard with this?

Why wouldn't they be? And if they're not "onboard with it", it doesn't matter anyways.

Clearly some other process will have to be put in place regarding terminal capacity and boarding process. Whatever changes happen are going to impact all. It is what it is. Royal will figure out how to get you onboard an hour early for another $199 I guess 🤷

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great ideas.

There will be many changes.

Some will like it, some won't.

It's fluid...just like the virus, it will mutate.

Just like island lady...we just want to get back on a ship.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

This woul be a great opportunity to enhance both embaraktion and debarkation days. You could have debarkating guests vacate their cabins by 10:00 and extend the departure process until 11:00, with Breakfast venues open as on  every day. This would let you end the cruise much more relaxed as not everyone has early flights. On the other hand boarding would commence at 2PM with cabins already ready an no lunch except for a limited selection of speciality items at speciality venues such as Izumi, Johnny Rockets etc (New concepts that could be developed) + bars to be open of course. All other venues will only open as of 5PM / at sailaway.

Some good ideas in there. 

31 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Some of the ideas have merit, that does not mean I would like them. The strict boarding times is problematic for many given when they fly in, hotel check-out, etc. For someone that lives seven minutes away ( you know who you are 😜), or, like us always leaves from our Orlando house for any Florida sailing, it’s not a big deal. 

Personally, I’m a whole lot less worried about the cleanliness of the ship than I am the other 6000 passengers coming from all over the globe. The ships are probably cleaner than any other place I go—— until the 6000 arrive. More time between disembarkation and embarkation may happen but to me the bigger issue is the passengers and the cruise lines procedures on what they will do when a positive test occurs, which it surely will.

mac_tlc

I have read (somewhere on CC) that the first cruises would likely be out of a Florida port (probably Port Canaveral), be short cruises to only private islands, with a reduced number of passengers, and restricted to “local Floridians”.  So this would work during the early cruises and could/would be fine-tuned when they see what works and begin adding passengers from other areas.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

This.  The cleanliness of the ship itself is a minimal concern as compared to sick (or asymptomatic) people spewing their germs around.  

• Like 3

I have an idea that I mentioned on another thread. For the most part all ships have a sister ship, one that is almost identical. So why not begin with one ship coming in disembarking and cleaning, disinfection and having a week to do it, while the sister ship goes out then they switch. This could take care of the embarkation issues as the ship will be ready, completely on the day of sailing. This could also help the crew to rest, to prepare the ship and be ready. It will at least get some cruising back, even only half initially. Just an idea, not sustainable for ever but maybe for the start up.  

2 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Enforcing a set boarding time isn't really feasible....especially, if you are arriving in your port on the DAY OF the cruise.    Or, you arrived the day prior, have no car, and have to be OUT of your hotel by 11am.  Waiting until your "assigned" time of 3-4pm would be a horror.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

It's a new world, deal with it

Maybe they can setup a buffet lunch and bar in the terminal while we wait. 

Later boarding means I miss my pre-noon, first drink of the cruise coconut mojito. Plus, it messes up the ROI math on the drink package.😉

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, danv3 said:

This.  The cleanliness of the ship itself is a minimal concern as compared to sick (or asymptomatic) people spewing their germs around.  

Maybe a large number of people globally including many cruises will finally take personal hygine a bit more serious this would contirubte siginificantly for less outbreaks of Noro, Influenza or like we have now, COVID-19.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Funny how many want to be the first to be on board, and then those same people want to be the first to 

get OFF the ship.  😉 

Many passengers have either early flights or a very long drive home. I’ve got about eight hours. I need to get off early, get through customs, and get on the road. Especially, in the winter season when I don’t have as much daylight for driving. 

We know many traveling friends, especially on the three night cruises who will sail almost every weekend. They need to get off the ship early Monday morning so that they can be to work on time.

The few times that we’ve had no place to go after our cruise, or maybe just an hour drive to visit family, we linger longer.

m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1