Can anyone confirm this rumor from another cruise board site

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I wonder how social distancing is happening (or will happen) on the Staten Island ferry.

That’s a great observation. We were in NYC the week before Christmas, flying back on the 23rd. We did the sites and all the ferries were packed. Like sardines in a can. 

There's not many active cruise boards. I can think of one or two others and neither have the traffic this one does.  A source would be helpful, as in where this person "read" it.

There is nothing that addresses this on the website of the Port Authority.

There is just this, about cargo shipping.

The Port of New York & New Jersey 

The Port is open and operating under normal conditions. Our supply chain partners, from the marine terminal operators and longshore labor to truckers and warehouse and distribution center operators, are working hard to help sustain the economy and support the 28 million consumers in the local region that are dependent on the Port.   

The Port is coordinating with federal, state and local partners, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), U.S. Coast Guard (USCG), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and other emergency and public health agencies to address public health and safety concerns. 

The Port continues to receive regular container vessel calls, and all truck gates are fully operational during regularly scheduled hours, with minor modifications for interacting with vessel crew and truckers.  There has been no impact to our intermodal rail capabilities, and none is expected at this time.  Our drayage truck partners are operating at full strength and not experiencing any driver shortages. 

All cruise lines operating out of the Port of New York and New Jersey have suspended operations for at least 30 days (as of 3/16/2020).   

Please visit the  Breaking Waves Blog  for additional information. 

43 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

That’s a great observation. We were in NYC the week before Christmas, flying back on the 23rd. We did the sites and all the ferries were packed. Like sardines in a can. 

The SI ferries and the terminal has always stuffed people the point where you can almost feel that you cannot breathe.Many years ago I worked in Staten Island and took the ferry every day.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I wonder how social distancing is happening (or will happen) on the Staten Island ferry.

Rode the ferry every day for years.  Not too hard to spread out, especially with most working from home today.  Now the subway on the other hand .....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Rode the ferry every day for years.  Not too hard to spread out, especially with most working from home today.  Now the subway on the other hand .....

I took the IRT subway from Brooklyn to the SI Ferry Every morning .There were times that there was no AC on the train and then on to the ferry.I would be soaked in sweat by the time I got to SI.

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I took the IRT subway from Brooklyn to the SI Ferry Every morning .There were times that there was no AC on the train and then on to the ferry.I would be soaked in sweat by the time I got to SI.

fun times in the city.........😏

The weather has been pretty crappy in this part of the US. and citizens for the most part have been obeying the social distancing/staying in protocol.   I wonder how social distancing and staying in, is going to work out when it's 90 degrees and 90% humidity and some folks have no air conditioning.  

12 minutes ago, nelblu said:

The weather has been pretty crappy in this part of the US. and citizens for the most part have been obeying the social distancing/staying in protocol.   I wonder how social distancing and staying in, is going to work out when it's 90 degrees and 90% humidity and some folks have no air conditioning.  

It wont work. Disease will still spread. This was done to flatten the curve. It didnt eliminate it. It will just spread the infection rate out over a longer period as to not overwhelm hospitals. I think many people think distancing will rid us of covid. Not a chance. 2 things will make it a non issue. Herd immunity or a vaccine which is a form of herd immunity. I would be surprised if a successful vaccine arrives soon. It may never happen. But eventually herd immunity will. Problem with cruising is they need a vaccine for all intents and purposes to start sailing any time in nearfuture. Or herd immunity which will take quite awhile with social distancing. If we get truly effective anti virals that may help to.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The Staten Island Ferry as well as subways, buses, and all of the major commuter rail roads are running. Social distancing isn't an issue because the only people using them are essential workers. Masks are required in New York State. Once we open for business again it's anyone's guess how social distancing will work. Having traveled on all of these MTA vehicles the only way it can happen is if they add more cars and schedule more trains, buses and Ferries. 

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The Staten Island Ferry as well as subways, buses, and all of the major commuter rail roads are running. Social distancing isn't an issue because the only people using them are essential workers. Masks are required in New York State. Once we open for business again it's anyone's guess how social distancing will work. Having traveled on all of these MTA vehicles the only way it can happen is if they add more cars and schedule more trains, buses and Ferries. 

Stunning that it was weeks into the pandemic before they shut down the subways overnight and finally sanitized it. 😱

2 minutes ago, hazence said:

Stunning that it was weeks into the pandemic before they shut down the subways overnight and finally sanitized it. 😱

I know. They said the homeless took over and they were vomiting and defecating all over. That happens on a good day but with limited traffic they had the run of the place.  This was probably the first time since the subway opened in 1904 that it's been cleaned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I was in NYC the week before Christmas. Time Square was awesome at 6 AM. At  6 PM it was a whole different story.😐

• Like 1

Having worked in NYC for some 40 years and commuted to both downtown and mid-town, social distancing, assuming some normality, will not work unless employers operate on staggered hours.