Think twice about a chargeback...

oceanlovinmama

3 hours ago, darknightsdespiser said:

I didn't realise people still used travel agents, how hard is it to press a button and book a cruise??

I get the sense it is still an old relic of travel used mostly by people who cruise.  I guess cruise lines still pay some type of commission where for most travel companies that fell by the wayside with the use of the internet for airlines, hotel, restaurants, limo companies, etc.

I have several millions of miles racked up on airlines, have been around the world numerous times, stayed in thousands of hotels and resorts over the years on every Continent except Antarctica and usually know way more then most cruise travel agents about different areas of the world and where to stay.  They usually have not even been there and they are trying to give advice.

It does help to have high status with airlines, hotels and rental car companies when it comes to ease of booking and also receiving upgrades all the time for free.

I have met a number of cruise line TA's who basically sell cruises from home to make some easy money and take a cheap cruise a couple of times a year with friends or family.  

Booking a cruise is a no brainer because there is so much information available on line, Ie. CC, and we have a friend who runs a family large travel agency in Canada and she use to ask me to send my bookings to check them out and she could never best the deals I had got booking directly with Princess.  

My wife and I were both military, own CCL, and always go for the OBC's deals on Princess which really helps with getting a great deal.

The other reason I always book our own travel is because I like to stay in control of our bookings.  If you use a TA and something goes wrong with the cruise, flights, hotel stay, etc. those companies will not usually deal with you directly but make you circle back and try and get in touch with the TA you used and deal with them.  Not much fun when you are at the airport in Istanbul and there has been a change to your travel itinerary and the airlines say you have to call your TA to fix it and it is 2:30 AM in the morning where they live.

Because of the things I mentioned, even if someone saves a couple hundred dollars using a TA, it is not important to me because I cannot put a value on being able to make changes on the spot involving my travel plans anywhere I am in  the world.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, darknightsdespiser said:

It is just the time issue, who wants to spend a precious day off going to a travel agent?

Both of us still work, I use a agent to book all my cruises because I get OBC and a discounted price. I’m in Atlanta and she’s in PA, never met her in all the years I’ve used her nor ever had to take a day off work - email is awesome 👍

I do all my air, hotels and any other bookings for our cruises and all our land trips myself.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Julia’s Journey’s said:

Both of us still work, I use a agent to book all my cruises because I get OBC and a discounted price. I’m in Atlanta and she’s in PA, never met her in all the years I’ve used her nor ever had to take a day off work - email is awesome 👍

I do all my air, hotels and any other bookings for our cruises and all our land trips myself.

Mine is across the country also (in PA also). I have met her a few times but we - call or email. I think I have used her for 20 years now. 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Julia’s Journey’s said:

5 minutes ago, Coral said:

Mine is across the country also (in PA also). I have met her a few times but we - call or email. I think I have used her for 20 years now. 

PA seems to be a good place to look for a quality TA.  I know it's worked for me. 😉😉

• Like 2

Actually - those who travel more, are more likely to use an agent because they realize the benefits an agent brings to the table!

Would not trade my agent for anything and I have cruised extensively. She is definitely an expert and saves me money on every trip I go on. I get better benefits by using her than if I book direct. 

I would not trade my agent for anything either. But you have to find the right agent. I use an independent travel agent. There are definitely agents you want to avoid like the one who started this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Julia’s Journey’s said:

Probably the same one we use.  I usually DIY everything else related to travel but would never book a cruise without going through her.  I just hope and pray that all of these years of working way too hard doesn't catch up with her - she's a gem!

7 hours ago, darknightsdespiser said:

I didn't realise people still used travel agents, how hard is it to press a button and book a cruise??

Yeah, with advent of the internet I don't understand travel agents as well, especially for large companies.  

I think at this point it's kind of cultural and self-sustaining, if you look at page 19:

https://cruising.org/-/media/research-updates/research/consumer-research/2018-clia-travel-report.pdf

the market research shows people somehow like travel agents.  So the cruise lines don't try to cut them out of business and continue to give additional discounts to travel agents.  I wonder how much of the effect is the bonus on-board credit.  I wonder what it would be like with a more one-price model.

We arrange all of our travel on line.  No need for a TA.  The only exception is a cruise.  We use an on line TA because she rebates part of the commission back to us in the form of OBC's.

She also gives us impartial feedback from her customers on various ships/cruise lines.  More than once she has given us a heads up on a ship/sale price that was similar to what we planned to book but at a better price.  Also, more than once, she has told us to hold off booking a cruise inside the final payment window because she anticipated the final payment price to be reduced again in the near term.

As for dealing with the TA who is the OP.  Never.   She clearly does not understand the client/agent relationship very well.

47 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

Yeah, with advent of the internet I don't understand travel agents as well, especially for large companies.  

I think at this point it's kind of cultural and self-sustaining, if you look at page 19:

https://cruising.org/-/media/research-updates/research/consumer-research/2018-clia-travel-report.pdf

the market research shows people somehow like travel agents.  So the cruise lines don't try to cut them out of business and continue to give additional discounts to travel agents.  I wonder how much of the effect is the bonus on-board credit.  I wonder what it would be like with a more one-price model.

I think it comes down to I am spending a lot of money. I want a professional on my side if something goes wrong or to offer things I wouldn't think of. For example, I could have taken a cheaper river cruise but my agent saw a sale on a very high end one that ended up being cheaper. And I absolutely loved it. She has special pricing that I don't always see when I search for myself.

I didn't buy a house with out a real estate person, I hire a CPA to do my taxes, I hire an attorney when I need legal advice - why would I not hire a travel agent for an expensive transaction. I could do it myself but it doesn't cost more to use one and she saves me time and frustration (she is on hold for 3 hours with Princess, not me). I often don't get much more OBC but I do get the cost of the cruise off up front. Though I would still use her if I didn't. 

Most cruise passengers (and other expensive vacations) are still using travel agents.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Coral said:

I want a professional on my side if something goes wrong or to offer things I wouldn't think of. For example, I could have taken a cheaper river cruise but my agent saw a sail on a very high end one that probably ended up being cheaper.

I didn't buy a house with out a real estate person, I hire a CPA to do my taxes, I hire an attorney when I need legal advice - why would I not hire a travel agent for an expensive transaction.

You are assuming that somehow a TA has some kind of Advance Degree that gives them some special knowledge or skills that others could not posses without a lot of education and degrees.

Most TA's can get a certificate through their local Adult Education school by taking one class or easily online with little effort and knowledge.  Some do not even take any classes.

https://www.howtobecome.com/how-to-become-a-travel-agent

I think many of the folks on CC offer way more insight and knowledge into what is really happening with great cruise deals than most TA's that are working from home to make a few bucks.

Also, many on here probably have way more worldly experience about travel then many TA's I have met. 

I think using a TA is a false sense of security and cheaper does not always mean a better experience.  I do not think they really posses any special magical powers that any of us could not obtain for ourselves with a little extra effort.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think it comes down to I am spending a lot of money. I want a professional on my side if something goes wrong or to offer things I wouldn't think of. For example, I could have taken a cheaper river cruise but my agent saw a sale on a very high end one that ended up being cheaper. And I absolutely loved it. She has special pricing that I don't always see when I search for myself.

I didn't buy a house with out a real estate person, I hire a CPA to do my taxes, I hire an attorney when I need legal advice - why would I not hire a travel agent for an expensive transaction. I could do it myself but it doesn't cost more to use one and she saves me time and frustration (she is on hold for 3 hours with Princess, not me). I often don't get much more OBC but I do get the cost of the cruise off up front. Though I would still use her if I didn't. 

Most cruise passengers (and other expensive vacations) are still using travel agents.

Who do you bring along when you buy a car?

I make my own travel arrangements.  I’m happy to invest the time and have been perfectly satisfied with how things have worked out.... including the prices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use a TA because I get a rebate plus if there are issues with the reservation, they call the cruiseline for me and take care of it.  I normally go online, book my cruise and then transfer it to the TA.  I get a rebate, TA gets a commission and takes care of any issues with the booking if anything comes up.

But that does bring up a thought.  I had 2 cruises cancelled (different cruiseline).  So because I didn't actually cruise, I am going to assume that I won't get my rebate - even though the TA will still get their full commission.  So in this case the TA is getting a bonus!

PS - I'm not complaining that my TA will apparently get a bonus, hopefully it will cover some of the losses since the possibility of future commissions is kinda bleak at the moment.

14 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I get a rebate, TA gets a commission and takes care of any issues with the booking if anything comes up.

how does your TA feel about re-fares after final payment, even if it lowers the commission ?

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

how does your TA feel about re-fares after final payment, even if it lowers the commission ?

I've never done an actual re-fare after final payment that resulted in a lower cost - I've gotten upgrades (some free, some paid for).  But even if the commission was lowered, I do the original booking. Plus I do the research on re-fares.  I'm working with an on-line agency, so they aren't actually doing any trip planning. For the majority of my bookings, any commission is based on maybe 1 or 2 phone calls to the cruiseline, if even that much.  So a reduced commission is better than no commission if I hadn't transferred the reservation.

On 5/17/2020 at 7:54 AM, SargassoPirate said:

I would think twice about NOT filing a dispute with the credit card company.  That's part of the service they provide.  As my agent, they can deal with the cruise line with more clout than I can ever muster.  

I wonder how many of the Princess cheerleaders have any skin in the game and are waiting patiently for a hoped-for refund?  I'm down over $9,000 and my patience is gone. Luckily, the clock with my credit card company is still ticking away.

I am patiently waiting for a refund of approximately $5800.00 back to my credit card for payment of our April 4 Sky Princess voyage. What's disappointing is to hear that the 30-60 day clock starts from either voyage sail date or voyage end date, not the date I notified them of selecting Option 2, which was March 21.

To protect my investment I may have no choice but to initiate a chargeback dispute.

3 minutes ago, muffydawg said:

I am patiently waiting for a refund of approximately $5800.00 back to my credit card for payment of our April 4 Sky Princess voyage. What's disappointing is to hear that the 30-60 day clock starts from either voyage sail date or voyage end date, not the date I notified them of selecting Option 2, which was March 21.

To protect my investment I may have no choice but to initiate a chargeback dispute.

Most credit cards are 120 days from when the service was not received when the reason is "services not received" so you might want to check on that.  Assuming that is what you mean by protecting your investment.

4 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Probably the same one we use.  I usually DIY everything else related to travel but would never book a cruise without going through her.  I just hope and pray that all of these years of working way too hard doesn't catch up with her - she's a gem!

Mine is a gem to from W,   PA and probably same as yours.  She has really been working hard since March.  Have booked with her since 2004 and cruised a couple of times with her. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Coral said:

I’m sure I use the same agent too. I’m not going to say she didn’t do a good job but she has not had one bit of information that I, myself have not been able to get. 

10 hours ago, voljeep said:

Refares before final payment also result ultimately in a lower commission.

How does my TA feel? Well when it comes time for final payment she always says "let's check and see if a lower price is available."

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Refares before final payment also result ultimately in a lower commission.

How does my TA feel? Well when it comes time for final payment she always says "let's check and see if a lower price is available."

Most of the time my TA has been able to get me price drops. Never turned me down. 
Last cruise she priced cruise $400 per cabin more then Princess. Went with Princess. 

17 hours ago, julig22 said:

Most credit cards are 120 days from when the service was not received when the reason is "services not received" so you might want to check on that.  Assuming that is what you mean by protecting your investment.

On another cruise line my final payment was December 21st for an April 19th cruise.  This cruise was cancelled on March 23rd.  I opted for a full refund on April 3rd.  Called my cc company and had a "notation" put down that if I do not get refund within 90 days I could start a chargeback even though it will be past the 120 days.

22 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

On another cruise line my final payment was December 21st for an April 19th cruise.  This cruise was cancelled on March 23rd.  I opted for a full refund on April 3rd.  Called my cc company and had a "notation" put down that if I do not get refund within 90 days I could start a chargeback even though it will be past the 120 days.

I think that was the cruise I was on. The cruise was cancelled March 12th.

Having read the OP's plea I would think twice (actually a lot more then twice) before ever doing business with the OP.  Why?  The post is simply self-serving and she obviously does not have the best interests of her clients on her mind.  Why do I say this?  Although I am not one to go quickly whining to my credit card company to file disputes, if a cruise line had a large chunk of my money I would immediately put the item under dispute in order to have a claim on record.  Credit card companies have various time requirements when it comes to disputes so waiting several months (to see if the cruise line actually refunds the money) might prove to be a bad idea.  If the delay in disputing would put you beyond a credit card time frame you might find yourself having to fight with the credit card company.  

I should add that it is not my responsibility as a customer to be concerned with the TAs commission.  And commissions are more complex then a simple percentage as some agencies may get overrides, bonuses, or have other volume-related arrangements.  If one were going to be concerned about their TA why not be concerned about the cruise line and simply let them keep all your money?  How about all the tour providers?  Asking them to return your money might put them out of business so why not just let them keep whatever you have already paid.  The commission issue is between the agents and cruise lines.

Hank

• Like 4