Will Florida cruises start back up in August?

As have tests performed. More testing, more positive. Track admissions and deaths. We’ve had no deaths reported in our county for a bit and new new admissions in my area. My son works ICU Miami Jackson and he is not seeing increases. 

There are a number of figures to look at including deaths. I don’t look at CNN, Fox or other TV news. In our area I look at the figures what the local governments release. Our cases have been down to near zero but we just went into Phase One reopening week ago. There also have been protests so the stats over the next 7 to 10 days will be what is indicative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

What County is that?

St. Johns.

And Carrier invented the air conditioner to keep the MACHINES cool, not the workers.  The workers were expendable; the machines cost a lot of money and were expensive to replace.

35 minutes ago, flamingos said:

And Carrier invented the air conditioner to keep the MACHINES cool, not the workers.  The workers were expendable; the machines cost a lot of money and were expensive to replace.

Nothing wrong with that, but Wikipedia infers it was to improve the quality of printing, so not necessarily to cool the machines, but to improve the printing process, by reducing humidity.  Which circles back to my original comment.

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alfaeric said:

So then Florida isn't fine.....

I'm not one to downplay a rise in the number of cases but it's only one of several numbers to watch, the others being # of hospitalizations, # of ICU cases, # of deaths,  hospital capacity and rate of transmission (RT). I have no idea how RT is calculated but magic number that you want to be at or below is 1.0, meaning one person infects one person.  More than 1.0 mean the infection is spreading and anything more than 1.2 is worrisome. Anything less than 1.0 means it's subsiding and a good thing.

So, think of # of cases as an early warning indicator. An important number to keep an eye on for sure but if there is no rise in #of hospitalizations or ICU, there is no reason to go to red alert just yet.  The virus is out there but contained to the "healthy" population. "At risk" people need to assess their personal risk tolerance - avoid crowds, etc. 

Once # of hospitalization and ICU starts to go up, look at where the numbers are coming from: Nursing homes, prisons, etc. If the increase is from the general population, it may be time to enact social distancing guidelines again, promote mask wearing,perhaps limit capcaity etc. Think of is as going to yellow alert or a issuing a severe weather alert.

Number of deaths is considered lagging indicator, as it can take 3-4 weeks from the time someone is infected to the time they pass away. If there is a sharp increase, it's usually to late to do anything other than go back into a "safe-at-home" order. Think of going it a going to red alert or severe weather warning.

Of course, all that depends on adequate testing.  It would appear that most of Florida is in good shape.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Once # of hospitalization and ICU starts to go up, look at where the numbers are coming from: Nursing homes, prisons, etc.

There is a Prison here, Tomoka Correctional Institution, has over 150+ positive cases. One was hospitalized but now back. We know to staff nurses who work there. 

This link is from mid May. Now over 1500 in Florida prison systems positive. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20200514/another-100-florida-prison-inmates-positive-for-covid-19%3ftemplate=ampart

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Not sure any news channels accurately report news, mostly opinions.  

Maybe for some national news outlets but my local station where I have been in news journalism for over 37 years prides itself in being fair, unbiased and fact based. So much so we won  a regional Edward R. Murrow Award for news excellence. I get very tired of everyone lumping all of us in one group. I'm proud of the fact based stories that I do. People want hear what's going on in their towns and we provide that. Thank you and I will stand down.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A local city councilman puts out the numbers every day. In my county we've had zero deaths in the last 48 hours.  

Here's how the numbers are given.  We also get a breakdown by zip code which pretty much correlates to population numbers in those codes. This is today's report.  We also get state numbers but VA is a large state with very different populations.  Last time I checked we had counties with zero cases due to how rural they are.  Also, we've increased testing open to anyone over the last couple of weeks which increases cases and is also reported as total number of tests.  Some people get tested multiple times.

Cumulative from March 17th:
Total confirmed cases in Loudoun: 3,147 (+208 over 48 hours)
Total Hospitalization in Loudoun: 181 (+4 over 48 hours)
Total Deaths in Loudoun: 67 (+0 over 48 hours)
Total Tests in Loudoun: 18,937 (+666 over 48 hours)
(This is not the unique number of people tested, just the total tests done)
Loudoun Fatalities Stats:
Age 50-59: 1
Age 60-69: 3
Age 70-79: 10
Age 80+: 53
Cases per 100,000 Population: 773.5
Hospitalizations per 100,000 Population: 44.5
Fatalities per 100,000 Population: 16.5

Depending on how each city, county, state report their numbers makes it harder to compare sometimes.  For example tracking just the total number of tests and not just number of people tested can skew percentages a lot.   You can also see the death rate tied to age with a huge jump over 80.  I'm curious how the rates compare to areas that have opened up more.

We're also in phase 1, lagging behind the rest of the state along with Fairfax county.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Maybe for some national news outlets but my local station where I have been in news journalism for over 37 years prides itself in being fair, unbiased and fact based. So much so we won  a regional Edward R. Murrow Award for news excellence. I get very tired of everyone lumping all of us in one group. I'm proud of the fact based stories that I do. People want hear what's going on in there towns and we provide that. Thank you and I will stand down.

Typically, the local affiliates do more news and accurate reporting. It’s the mainstream media I have an issue. They mostly report on their opinions and agenda. That includes all of them. CNN just happens to be one of the worst. There is no secret that they are bias and are not accurate in reporting. That’s my opinion. 

M8

• Like 1

Everyone has an opinion. I watch CNN,FOX,CBS and ABC daily. 

The only unbiasis media is the one a person likes and watches. 

This is a political issue and should not be beaten to death on this posting.

Let's get back on subject.

Happy Cruising

Edited by Oxo
  • Like 3

On 6/7/2020 at 9:26 AM, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m sorry but I absolutely don’t consider anything coming from CNN to be accurate or factual. They have lost almost all credibility. This seems to be your only source. Florida is fine. Hospitalizations are not increasing. More testing is being done each day so numbers positive will continue to increase. We have a problem here with long term care facilities and the death rate is high in a couple of specific locations. Using number of positive has really turned out to be a useless number but works for CNN. Have you seen much discussion on CNN regarding COVID19 the last two weeks?

It's not my only source.  I have 8 bookmarks for COVID19 statistics, and 1 is CNN.  It's just they have all the US counties and states listed separately, plus charts.  It's handy to have.  I verified on another site that FL cases/infections are increasing, but I don't want to post a lot of statistics.  I'm a retired analyst and project manager, so I tend to go a little overboard with my research.  Not something a cruise social media board needs.  

To answer your last question, I read CNN headlines, Washington Post, Politico, Vanity Fair, .........................well, the only one I ignore is Fox News:  I'd have to turn in my CA id if I watched Fox News.  😀

Back on track with the thread:  everyone makes up their own mind.  I don't need convincing to change mine, and neither do you.  I just like to provide information I find that is pertinent to the discussion.  Kind of like how many chair hogs I saw on a given day on the pool deck, if that was the subject..........................

• Like 4

Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

Well, that explains everything. Lol. 😇

You grow up in the SF Bay Area, you get liberal.  Not Beserkeley kind of liberal, but tolerant of just about anything.

• Like 2

Idk who Scylla is but apparently they set off on a cruise and the protocols were published. Everyone is reacting. No bar service, you have to sit at a table and be waited on. They are going to encourage eating in your cabin to reduce those in restaurants. Elevators will be out of order. I'd say this might not be legal in usa, for hc? Daily temperature taking. If you are out of your cabin interacting with others a mask is required. The crew must be onboard long enough for a quarantine period to pass.  On and on. Only one crew member will be cleaning your cabin. A whole bunch of stuff.

Sailing now. 

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Idk who Scylla is but apparently they set off on a cruise and the protocols were published. Everyone is reacting. No bar service, you have to sit at a table and be waited on. They are going to encourage eating in your cabin to reduce those in restaurants. Elevators will be out of order. I'd say this might not be legal in usa, for hc? Daily temperature taking. If you are out of your cabin interacting with others a mask is required. The crew must be onboard long enough for a quarantine period to pass.  On and on. Only one crew member will be cleaning your cabin. A whole bunch of stuff.

Sailing now. 

Its a river cruise. Elevators not as important as an 17 deck Oasis class ship

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/river-cruise-news/22963-scylla-releases-new-covid-19-onboard-protocols-for-riverboat-fleet.html

The no massage thing annoys me

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1