So If US Ports Don't Open...

sorry if this has been said or talked about before but as a Canadian and really not familiar with US colony rules,  I'm wondering about San Juan.

if US ports close down, can San Juan open?

1 minute ago, csnarpy said:

sorry if this has been said or talked about before but as a Canadian and really not familiar with US colony rules,  I'm wondering about San Juan.

San Juan, Puerto Rico, is part of the U.S.  So, no.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mugtech said:

The good news is ships can go to or from San Juan to another US port and do not have to stop at a distant foreign port.

Other than cargo, how often is that a scenario?

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Other than cargo, how often is that a scenario?

Pretty rare.  The occasional repo like when Adventure went to Bayonne or Freedom went to San Juan.  

I remember the guy who booked that cruise from Florida but didn't know it was a repo.  He was mad when the cruise ended in San Juan and he had to buy a plane ticket home.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Similar situation when they moved Freedom from PC to San Juan. Many Floridians were on cruise control since they often did the 7 day cruise with little thought. Well during the repo many were surprised it wasn't going back to PC and had to find their way home. 🤦‍♂️🤣

Royal should make an agreement with Nassau to cruise from there.  I would fly to Nassau to get on a cruise ship right now.  Then the CDC and US laws would not matter.

The US is a hot mess right now with rising cases. If they are smart they would not want us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 10

Bahamas will allow tourists but you must have a negative virus test. This is an email I got today from Resorts World Bimini. Most US tourists arrive by the Bimini ferry from Miami or by seaplane from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. 

EDED6F55-8BF2-47C8-8E4F-5DD4E39DCD13.png

On 6/23/2020 at 2:49 AM, csnarpy said:

If cruising from non-US ports is your idea, wouldn't it make more sense to start cruising this summer from the colony  to the north of the US?  😉

• Like 1

15 hours ago, twangster said:

Pretty rare.  The occasional repo like when Adventure went to Bayonne or Freedom went to San Juan.  

I remember the guy who booked that cruise from Florida but didn't know it was a repo.  He was mad when the cruise ended in San Juan and he had to buy a plane ticket home.  

We were on the Adventure repo from Miami to San Juan and from San Juan to Bayonne- both times we stopped in St Maarten.  

The only time I know of that the foreign port override has happened was an emergency- like when San Juan port closed or when the ships moved people from San Juan after Maria.

Re the Bahamas...

https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/2020/06/15/42000-cruise-ship-workers-still-trapped-at-sea/

excerpts:

Only Barbados has allowed for crew repatriation flights from its airports on which thousands have been returned home to countries all over the world, including Cruells. At the start of the pandemic, the Bahamas, which serves as the flag state for many cruise ships, rejected requests to take passengers in and later, cruise ship workers. The country’s maritime authority cited its limited resources and ongoing hurricane recovery as reasons why it could not do more.

In April, the U.S. restricted crew repatriation to private transportation. The U.S. Coast Guard, overwhelmed by dozens of medical evacuations for crew with COVID-19, told ships to seek medical help for crew members from their flag states instead. The Bahamas said it couldn’t help.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, karena1 said:

Royal should make an agreement with Nassau to cruise from there.  I would fly to Nassau to get on a cruise ship right now.  Then the CDC and US laws would not matter.

Good luck with that.  No ships are sailing from the US for at least 3 months and they aren't going to move any to Nassau.  Period.  If they did, and someone onboard tested positive, have fun being locked up in the cabin until they found somewhere to go.  Which is one of many reasons they aren't sailing and won't for a while.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If cruising from non-US ports is your idea, wouldn't it make more sense to start cruising this summer from the colony  to the north of the US?  😉

Cruise ships are banned in Canadian ports until October 31st.

10 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

would Nassau work as an embarkation port

Maybe.  They may have to use the freight docks and build a terminal.  Using the existing docks that the ships use for a port stop would be problematic in getting people to the ship(s)

Edited by gatour
changed my reply

2 hours ago, alfaeric said:

We were on the Adventure repo from Miami to San Juan and from San Juan to Bayonne- both times we stopped in St Maarten.  

The only time I know of that the foreign port override has happened was an emergency- like when San Juan port closed or when the ships moved people from San Juan after Maria.

The PVSA has a waiver for Puerto Rico written into it.  The waiver specifically mentions PR.  These repos would not occur were it not for the waiver, otherwise these repos would violate the PVSA.  

46 U.S.C. § 55104- Transportation of Passengers between Puerto Rico and Other Ports in the United States

A vessel that is not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade may transport passengers between a port in Puerto Rico and another port in the United States until such a time as a finding is made that a qualified U.S.-flag passenger vessel is available for such service.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

The PVSA has a waiver for Puerto Rico written into it.  The waiver specifically mentions PR.  These repos would not occur were it not for the waiver, otherwise these repos would violate the PVSA.  

46 U.S.C. § 55104- Transportation of Passengers between Puerto Rico and Other Ports in the United States

A vessel that is not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade may transport passengers between a port in Puerto Rico and another port in the United States until such a time as a finding is made that a qualified U.S.-flag passenger vessel is available for such service.

Thanks for sharing that info, I did not know that about PR. 

21 hours ago, karena1 said:

The volume of supplies loaded on a ship on turn around day could be a problem.  Would you trust Bahamian health regulations for food or potable water?

• Like 3