EU Considering Travel Ban on US Citizens

Slanted political hit piece.

The EU knew a travel ban was coming, they were not "miffed".

EU countries have been planning a gradual return to tourism that would start off with EU members and then expand to international visitors for several weeks. Most countries are following the same protocol including the US.

In the US the peak of deaths per day was about 2700. On Monday there were 267, a 90 percent decline. On a rolling average it is down 70 percent.

It is CNN.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

On Monday there were 267, a 90 percent decline. On a rolling average it is down 70 percent.

We had more than that in Ohio alone.  Where are you getting your numbers?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Slanted political hit piece.

The EU knew a travel ban was coming, they were not "miffed".

EU countries have been planning a gradual return to tourism that would start off with EU members and then expand to international visitors for several weeks. Most countries are following the same protocol including the US.

In the US the peak of deaths per day was about 2700. On Monday there were 267, a 90 percent decline. On a rolling average it is down 70 percent.

It is CNN.

Correct!  Here are some of the percentages of covid deaths per population: Belgium:0.00085, Holland:0.00035, Italy:0.00057, Spain: 0.00060, USA:0.00036..

• Like 4

Deaths, not new cases.

Were there more than 267 in Ohio?

My numbers were based on an article I read. Forgot the source.

Anyway, the EU has never specifically targeted Americans, they have a plan based on a countries current epidemiological situation.

The CNN video is even more slanted. They blame the White House

It is no surprise that the US, Mexico, and South America have higher active cases. They were the last to see a rise and will be the last to see a decline.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not at all surprising given the numbers and given the general response.

Blame is not the issue.  It is all down to the numbers. 

Are there still senior politicians claiming that covid has been beaten?  Ridiculous. 

I can just imagine what the decision makers in Europe think when they hear about statements like this.  Europe has had it bad.  They do not want more  Can't blame their leadership  if they are acting on the advice of health care professionals.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Yeah Europe doesn't really care about our death rates.  That is our problem not theirs.  They care about their death rates and the amount of cases we have.  They are not going to take chances reinfecting their population. 

• Like 2

Perhaps the EU could institute the same policy as what is currently in effect in Iceland.  People from the Schengen area are being permitted to travel to Iceland if they agree to either a 14 day quarantine or testing upon arrival at the airport with results in 24 hrs. You must download a contact tracing app where you’ll receive you’ll results and where they can determine if you’ve broken quarantine.  

Based upon current testing they are leaning on making some countries exempt. However, the US, Brazil, India, and Russia are countries are countries which they say will require special monitoring.

https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/news/2020/06/23/will_some_countries_be_exempt_from_testing/

13 hours ago, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

Saw this on CNN.  EU considering travel ban on US citizens.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/23/politics/eu-us-coronavirus-travel/index.html

This article points up the problem the cruise industry has in planning resumption of cruises.  So long as this virus remains unchecked, there will be ports refusing to permit visitors from the U.S. or any other country that the ports deem to be petri dishes.

• Like 3

It has nothing to do with politics. Or so called fake news.  Nothing fake about what is transpiring in hospitals in California or Texas at the moment.  

It is simply about numbers, containment, risk, and effective/responsible public health policy.

How can we expect cruise lines to start up if there is a good probability of an on board covid outbreak.  It was be a disaster for the industry.

The next few weeks look anything but promising for this scourge.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 11

Yes, this news is being reported across multiple media outlets, and the message seems to be the same.

I am certainly disappointed that the US (and others) may be excluded from the initial list of countries able to travel to the EU, but I can understand the position of EU countries who have made progress and don't want to backtrack.  Of course, they themselves may be facing the same situation as parts of the US as they more widely reopen activities.

Time will tell. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iancal said:

It has nothing to do with politics. Or so called fake news.  Nothing fake about what is transpiring in hospitals in California or Texas at the moment.  

It is simply about numbers, containment, risk, and effective/responsible public health policy.

How can we expect cruise lines to start up if there is a good probability of an on board covid outbreak.  It was be a disaster for the industry.

The next few weeks look anything but promising for this scourge.

Well said.  

You can't blame the EU at all given recent events that encourage the spread of the virus, the fact that it is already out of control over most of the US, and now support for the test centres is being withdrawn.  I just hope the Canadian border remains closed indefinitely.  Each country has a duty of care for its own citizens, and I'm sorry that does not seem to be happening in the US at the moment, especially for those states which are trying to do their best against the virus. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, T8NCruise said:

You can't blame the EU at all given recent events that encourage the spread of the virus, the fact that it is already out of control over most of the US, and now support for the test centres is being withdrawn.  I just hope the Canadian border remains closed indefinitely.  Each country has a duty of care for its own citizens, and I'm sorry that does not seem to be happening in the US at the moment, especially for those states which are trying to do their best against the virus. 

I agree

Actually several states have just announced their borders will be closed to the most risky states.  So you can’t fault the EU or Canada when some states in the U.S. don’t want other residents of high risk status states in.

When some have worked hard to try to contain the virus, it makes no sense to welcome those who are not interested.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, kazu said:

I agree

Actually several states have just announced their borders will be closed to the most risky states.  So you can’t fault the EU or Canada when some states in the U.S. don’t want other residents of high risk status states in.

When some have worked hard to try to contain the virus, it makes no sense to welcome those who are not interested.

Actually, I'm not sure that's really possible.  They may plan on it but it's contrary to our DNA and I think enforcement would be a massive challenge (except for Alaska and Hawaii where there's more chance for border control).  They say "Americans will always do the right thing--after we've exhausted all the other possibilities".  I think we're just about at that point,

At least I hope so.

Roy

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

They say "Americans will always do the right thing--after we've exhausted all the other possibilities".  I think we're just about at that point,

At least I hope so.

I do too - for all of your sakes.  Stay safe my friend ❤️ 

• Like 2

Yes New York, New Jersey and Connecticut have announced a travel advisory requiring visitors from certain states to quarantine for 14 days if they go to NY, NJ or Conn..  It does include fines for non-compliance but I suspect it will be very difficult to actually enforce.  I think their hope is for voluntary compliance.  It is ironic considering Gov. Cuomo had a hissy when a quarantine was suggested for New York a few months ago.  Which states are included in the advisory depends on virus metrics within the state.  I think they named ten states to start with.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Not surprising since the reopening of some us states has not been handled well.  Far too many people out there disregarding the mask requirement.  When I see this I wonder if they even wash their hands.  

Let not forget the mask wearers who wear them under their nose. (some may have too, can't breath) but others.???