Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

51 minutes ago, mimbecky said:

Unfortunately, there are many people (me and DH) who are going to be caught in that 55-64 group who are "healthy" and therefore wont have vaccine option until the very last phase in our state. Retired a few years early, not in working force so definitely last. Our health official states widely available in April.  I think that is a bit optimistic but I'd be thrilled.

At the rate we're going, it's not looking like many people will be cruising before April, so it may work out well enough. Let's hope so. 

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

That's just in the US, and cruise lines deal with passengers from countries around the world. Here in Canada, the situation is similar to that of the US, with no central registry of vaccinations now and none planned for the future. It would be interesting to hear from readers in the UK what proof they are receiving for their COVID-19 vaccinations.

In Wales UK those receiving a COVID-19 vaccination will be given a credit card-sized NHS Wales immunisation card which will have the vaccine name, date of immunisation and batch number of each of the doses given, handwritten on them. These will act as a reminder for a second dose and for the type of vaccine, and it will also give information about how to report side effects

I have not read anywhere what they are doing in other parts of the UK but I would imagine something similar.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

In Wales UK those receiving a COVID-19 vaccination will be given a credit card-sized NHS Wales immunisation card which will have the vaccine name, date of immunisation and batch number of each of the doses given, handwritten on them. These will act as a reminder for a second dose and for the type of vaccine, and it will also give information about how to report side effects

I have not read anywhere what they are doing in other parts of the UK but I would imagine something similar.

Thanks, @nomad098. The card and the nature of the information handwritten on them sound identical to those given to us by our pharmacy for flu vaccinations. I anticipate that same or a similar card will be given out for COVID-19 vaccinations.

44 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

This sounds similar to the process proposed for Michigan.  Each state will have it's own process. 

7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks, @nomad098. The card and the nature of the information handwritten on them sound identical to those given to us by our pharmacy for flu vaccinations. I anticipate that same or a similar card will be given out for COVID-19 vaccinations.

We live in Ottawa; our doctor didn’t provide us with anything after we got our flu shot.  So, forget about a national registry, it’s inconsistent around the city!  I s’pose OHIP knows but I wouldn’t depend on them to set up a database for CV-19 vaccination documentation.

3 hours ago, D C said:

For proof, I would propose a 'receipt' of some sort from the vaccination and/or a notarized document stating that the vaccine was received.  

Notarization only provides authenticity of someone's signature.  I don't see notarization being used in conjunction with proof of vaccination since doctors and pharmacists are not going to spend the time to go with you to a Notary just to have their signatures authenticated.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

This is ours again easy to forge by the looks of it!! I think its worrying how simple they lookThe card will be handed to every Brit after they get their Covid jab

The Welsh one is similar.

I cannot see how any travel company/airline/cruiseline/country  could institute a no vaccine no entry based on this. I could probably knock one of these up based solely on the photo you posted using photoshop or similar. 

17 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Read in the news yesterday about some guy who has been forging Covid test result certificates so people can fly without taking the test. He says he plans to do the same with proof of vaccination. It was inevitable I suppose. 

Is that not potentially culpable manslaughter? He should be sent to a dark cell in prison... with a dose of Covid too. Unfortunately there are always urchins who will try to turn a buck on the back of any misfortune.

In a similar fashion to the Covid 19 tests being performed in hospital and community the vaccination should eventually land in GP medical records..... I imagine. For a fee you can access a paper copy of these records. Can be copied too unfortunately by the nefarious.

Often there are small stickers which are taken off vaccine packs and can be stuck onto a vaccination card. I am not aware of this for the proposed vaccines. The Pfizer vial when made up offer five shots so lots of little stickers! A bit last century.

I potentially may be involved in the vaccination program in the GP Practice where I locum. I have read through the paperwork and no mention of vacination cards.

All this means is that there will be one more check before boarding the ship.  It appears that there will be a necessity for pre-boarding polygraphs before you board the ship.  It could easily work like this.  While you are waiting for your pre-boarding Covid test results, you will be sent for a polygraph.  It will be one simple question.  "Have you forged or altered any Covid test results or immunization records?"  You will be denied boarding if you fail the polygraph.

6 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Notarization only provides authenticity of someone's signature.  I don't see notarization being used in conjunction with proof of vaccination since doctors and pharmacists are not going to spend the time to go with you to a Notary just to have their signatures authenticated.

Notorization can also include an oath whereby the signer testifies to the truthfulness of the content of the document, making it an affidavit.   

It's a small but meaningful step towards honesty imho. 

I'm not suggesting the doctor sign it.  Just that the passenger sign it.  Unless you're cruising with your doctor, I suppose. 

In my opinion the vaccines that are being rolled out will have little or no effect on ability to travel until a vaccine is produced that can prevent Covid19 spreading from asymptomatic people. All these current vaccines do is prevent or limit the effect of the virus on individuals. It doesn't get rid of the virus which we will have to live with for many years.

16 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

In my opinion the vaccines that are being rolled out will have little or no effect on ability to travel until a vaccine is produced that can prevent Covid19 spreading from asymptomatic people. All these current vaccines do is prevent or limit the effect of the virus on individuals. It doesn't get rid of the virus which we will have to live with for many years.

That's what ANY vaccine does. It's how they work.

A vaccine tells your immune system what a virus looks like so it can figure out how to fight it.

When you come into contact with the REAL virus, your immune system fights it off before you get sick.

If you're vaccinated, symptomatic or asymptomatic people are of little concern because you can't get sick from them.

Frankly, I don't think there are as many asymptomatic people as claimed, and I think there are far more false positives than we're led to believe.

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

All this means is that there will be one more check before boarding the ship.  It appears that there will be a necessity for pre-boarding polygraphs before you board the ship.  It could easily work like this.  While you are waiting for your pre-boarding Covid test results, you will be sent for a polygraph.  It will be one simple question.  "Have you forged or altered any Covid test results or immunization records?"  You will be denied boarding if you fail the polygraph.

I think your post is most interesting about the polygraph. Passed that concept along to my many vacation friends - all gave that a thumbs down and said just another nail in the coffin of cruising.

I am not paying a cent for such an experience.

Talk about Orwell's vision - it is coming true asap.

Thanks for noting this potential activity.

Love your posts!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doubt It said:

I think your post is most interesting about the polygraph. Passed that concept along to my many vacation friends - all gave that a thumbs down and said just another nail in the coffin of cruising.

I am not paying a cent for such an experience.

Talk about Orwell's vision - it is coming true asap.

Thanks for noting this potential activity.

Love your posts!

Not to worry, as there's no such thing as a simple one question polygraph.

11 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Not to worry, as there's no such thing as a simple one question polygraph.

How about one statement prior to the polygraph :

" One of us knows the truth, the other will find out very soon ".

The various vaccination cards are just being used for a reminder that you need a second dose and when you need a second dose.  I do not believe that they will be official documents that can be forged or otherwise misused.  All this talk about notaries, polygraphs, etc.  will just make the public even more paranoid about vaccines.  We just need to make the personal choice to be vaccinated (or not).  When I get vaccinated I will be satisfied that I have chosen to protect myself.  That is all any of us can really do.  That is what I do every year for the influenza vaccine.  I have no idea whether my next door neighbor or the guy in the airline seat next to me got a flu vaccine.  Up to them. 

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The various vaccination cards are just being used for a reminder that you need a second dose and when you need a second dose.  I do not believe that they will be official documents that can be forged or otherwise misused.  All this talk about notaries, polygraphs, etc.  will just make the public even more paranoid about vaccines.  We just need to make the personal choice to be vaccinated (or not).  When I get vaccinated I will be satisfied that I have chosen to protect myself.  That is all any of us can really do.  That is what I do every year for the influenza vaccine.  I have no idea whether my next door neighbor or the guy in the airline seat next to me got a flu vaccine.  Up to them. 

I'm of the same general philosophy.  I'll get vaccinated as soon as it's my turn and if others decide not to get vaccinated they will need to deal with the consequences.  However a cruise is a little different because, their personal choice not to get vaccinated may affect the cruise for the rest of the ship if the trip is shortened or the itinerary is shortened.  They can also infect the locations that the ship visits.  So from my perspective, an immunization is a reasonable requirement as soon as it it practical.  

Edited by ipeeinthepool
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

You do know that polygraph results are recognized in a court of law? 
Also consider the time it would take to administer it, taking hooking it up then taking it off for a ship that holds close to 3,000 passengers.