Key West could vote no mega ships

That should make the port more enjoyable to those who sail there on smaller ships.  It will never be crowded.  I don't really care one way or the other.  Mega ships have a lot of passengers.  I cruised on Harmony of the Seas and we stopped at Costa Maya when another large ship was also in port.  The area was miserably crowded. There were wall to wall people.

• Like 1

The Duval Street merchants aren't going to be very happy if this passes.  They get a lot of business from the cruise ships.  Tourism is about 60% of the Key West economy.  Guess their dream of becoming the Conch Republic is finally going to come to fruition. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

The Duval Street merchants aren't going to be very happy if this passes.  They get a lot of business from the cruise ships.  Tourism is about 60% of the Key West economy.  Guess their dream of becoming the Conch Republic is finally going to come to fruition. 

Yes should be an interesting vote seeing as so many rely on tourists to make a living.  Lived in the Keys for 30+ years

• Like 3

Bummer! We currently have a B2B cruise on the Rhapsody booked for March 2021 and Key West is one of our port stops. Oh well, if we can't spend our time and money in Key West while cruising we'll do it where we are welcome. 

Edited by davekathy

8 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

But how much of that is from cruise passengers? I love being a cruise passenger, but if we’re mayor of a tourist spot I‘d heavily focus on overnight guests, at the possible expense of cruisers. 

Edited by zekekelso
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I had b2b feb 7 and feb 14. The feb 7th perfect bahamas day was going there. Jewel is smaller, but maybe not small enough 

Key West would consider the Jewel to big (~ 2,190 passenger count) according to the posted article. 

AND I think that article meant total passengers disembarking per day total, not per cruise ship which would mean only one small ship per day.  Like the above poster said this subject comes up every few years but I don;t remember if it ever got on the ballot before

5 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

But how much of that is from cruise passengers? I love being a cruise passenger, but if we’re mayor of a tourist spot I heavily focus on overnight guests, at the possible expense of cruisers. 

It's perhaps better to have overnight guests at hotels versus "day-trippers" such as cruise ship passengers, however, cruise ship day-trippers contribute to spending at restaurants, bars, shops, tours and museums and their contribution is not negligible. 

• Thanks 1

According to the Keys Weekly:

https://keysweekly.com/42/shape-up-or-ships-out-key-wests-cruise-ship-debate-heats-up/

"Limit the number of cruise passengers who can disembark in Key West to 1,500 per day; prohibit ships with a capacity greater than 1,300 passengers from docking in Key West; and give priority to cruise lines with the best environmental and health records."

A Duval Street merchant was quoted:

"“Between 73% and as much as 95% of our business at this location is specifically cruise ship-driven."

30 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Bummer! We currently have a B2B cruise on the Rhapsody booked for March 2021 and Key West is one of our port stops. Oh well, if we can't spend our time and money in Key West while cruising we'll do it where we are welcome. 

We are also booked on rhapsody for a b2b.  If they limit capacity on the ship we may still be able to visit key west.  We'll see....

22 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Depends how full it sails

They want to deny disembarkation to ships that have a CAPACITY of over 1300 passengers regardless of the number of passengers on the ship.  This is on the ballot but it doesn't mean it will be voted in.  Surely there will be push back and campaigning against by the merchants. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

What’s the attraction to Key West?  We were never very impressed

Stomping grounds of Ernest Hemingway for one -- Hemingway House, Sloppy Joes, Blue Heaven, etc.  There's the Old Town Trolley and the HO HO.  Duval Street has many quirky boutiques, restaurants and bars. The Lighthouse museum, the Truman Museum, the Southernmost Point.  There's great scuba diving, snorkeling, kayaking and the Dry Tortugas. And of course the best Key Lime Pie!  No I don't work for the tourist board. LOL 😃

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We are also booked on rhapsody for a b2b.  If they limit capacity on the ship we may still be able to visit key west.  We'll see....

Looking forward to the cruises, itineraries and ship.