Key West could vote no mega ships

6 hours ago, island lady said:

This last time we took a taxi to the cute little town of Mahauhul

Pat , did you ever go to a bar called " Fernando's 100% Agave"? The original one. It's now closed down. We stumbled upon in in 2011 on our Liberty B2B cruise. A fun dive bar. When you first sat down you were given (free) a small picture of agave, two shot glasses, chips and pico de gallo to get you started before ordering  your drinks and food. The margaritas, beer, street tacos and guacamole were to die for. 🍸🌮 Bummer it's no longer there.

Edited by davekathy

11 hours ago, island lady said:

Exactly.  We slip out right away through the first exit and usually head to Maya Chan.  This last time we took a taxi to the cute little town of Mahauhul (which we have also done many times to visit Tropicante)  But this last time it was a Mexican cooking class there (which was fantastic!).     

sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  It can be hard enough to get a reservation.  😉 

Everyone realizes you can drive to Key West, right?  Or take a high speed ferry from Naples or Fort Myers for a day trip (can't remember which town it departs from).  I mean, it's accessible by ways other than a cruise ship.  People know that, right?

I went for the first time via cruise in December.  I was expecting a charming town (with a Charleston-esque vibe).  I was not impressed with the (forgive me) "Jersey Shore"  look and feel of the port.  There was some charm sprinkled in but I agree with another poster that the charm is being choked out by the tacky tourist traps.  FWIW, we did rent a golf cart and drove around a bit to see what was beyond the port.  I didn't leave wanting to come back for a longer land visit (unless it's a wild girls' trip).  In fact, pre-COVID we had a spring break trip planned to see the other keys, but hadn't planned on going back to KW.

Based on what I saw during my day there, I agree with the initiative and would love to see them get back to more of the "charm" and less of "tacky".

Speaking of Charleston, they don't like the cruise ships there either (and I don't blame them). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, momofmab said:

Everyone realizes you can drive to Key West, right?  Or take a high speed ferry from Naples or Fort Myers for a day trip (can't remember which town it departs from).  I mean, it's accessible by ways other than a cruise ship.  People know that, right?

You can fly there too.  One thing about cruising, it affords a means of seeing a variety of different places (albeit for a brief period) that are normally separated in a way that makes it difficult/expensive to combine the itinerary through use of planes, trains and automobiles.  If I fly to Rome, I can drive to Venice and Naples and Genoa and Nice if I choose to do so but for many people a cruise is a better way to do it and having a port shut them out is very disappointing.

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

You can fly there too.  One thing about cruising, it affords a means of seeing a variety of different places (albeit for a brief period) that are normally separated in a way that makes it difficult/expensive to combine the itinerary through use of planes, trains and automobiles.  If I fly to Rome, I can drive to Venice and Naples and Genoa and Nice if I choose to do so but for many people a cruise is a better way to do it and having a port shut them out is very disappointing.

I forgot - you can fly there too!  My point is that cruising isn't the ONLY way to get to KW if you really want to go.  I agree with you, cruising is a great way to get a small taste of places you may (or may not) decide to visit later for a longer stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, momofmab said:

I forgot - you can fly there too!  My point is that cruising isn't the ONLY way to get to KW if you really want to go.  I agree with you, cruising is a great way to get a small taste of places you may (or may not) decide to visit later for a longer stay.

Yes, that’s exactly what we did.  After visiting on a cruise, we took the time a couple of years later to rent a car (after a cruise, of course!) and drive down from Fort Lauderdale to spend a few days in the keys and KW.  Enjoyed it, but once is enough.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, momofmab said:

As with anything, there are people that don't know those options.

I would say Key West is accessible while still being inaccessible. From Miami, it is a 6 1/2 hour round-trip. While I don't have the data in front of me, I would venture to say there's probably not as much day-trippers driving there as there would be cruise passengers on an average day.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

As with anything, there are people that don't know those options.

I would say Key West is accessible while still being inaccessible. From Miami, it is a 6 1/2 hour round-trip. While I don't have the data in front of me, I would venture to say there's probably not as much day-trippers driving there as there would be cruise passengers on an average day.

That's right.  Miami day-trippers tend to go to Key Largo and the Upper Keys for the day.  When Miamians go to KW it's generally to stay overnight -- the majority don't go there often.  Cruise ship day-trippers far more out number day-trippers from the mainland.  On top of the $68 million cruisers spend in a year, the port provides direct and indirect jobs to KW citizens and contributes 15% of the city's tax revenue.

From the Port of KW website:

"The Port of Key West is a major economic engine for the city and local businesses, resulting in an economic impact annually of $85 million. The port provides 1,250 direct and indirect jobs to the 25,000 citizens of Key West, while contributing 15 percent of the city’s total tax revenue."

17 hours ago, davekathy said:

Pat , did you ever go to a bar called " Fernando's 100% Agave"? The original one. It's now closed down. We stumbled upon in in 2011 on our Liberty B2B cruise. A fun dive bar. When you first sat down you were given (free) a small picture of agave, two shot glasses, chips and pico de gallo to get you started before ordering  your drinks and food. The margaritas, beer, street tacos and guacamole were to die for. 🍸🌮 Bummer it's no longer there.

No, unfortunately never had the pleasure.  We always went to Tropicante...ex Pat friend Steve always treated us right, giving us way too many free tequila shots and one visit he gave us a whole bottle.  (Was 2.00 U.S from his local grocery store..and not bad!).  I featured him in TA with excellent ratings and pictures, plus brought a lot of other CC members there years ago.  

Sadly, he has since moved on...had to return to Texas to take care of his ailing mother...but the bar is still there.

12 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  It can be hard enough to get a reservation.  😉 

Karlita and Otto??  I still have a package of homemade chili spice she gave me...it's the secret ingredient in my homemade chili.  😉  Gosh we had a good time there.  🤗

Or are you talking about Maya Chan?  Love that place too.  Really cute when they put your "name on a board" when you repeat your visit.  And boy they sure remember you!  Great times.  

Edited by island lady

2 hours ago, momofmab said:

I went for the first time via cruise in December.  I was expecting a charming town (with a Charleston-esque vibe).  I was not impressed with the (forgive me) "Jersey Shore"  look and feel of the port.  There was some charm sprinkled in but I agree with another poster that the charm is being choked out by the tacky tourist traps.  FWIW, we did rent a golf cart and drove around a bit to see what was beyond the port.  I didn't leave wanting to come back for a longer land visit (unless it's a wild girls' trip).  In fact, pre-COVID we had a spring break trip planned to see the other keys, but hadn't planned on going back to KW.

Based on what I saw during my day there, I agree with the initiative and would love to see them get back to more of the "charm" and less of "tacky".

Speaking of Charleston, they don't like the cruise ships there either (and I don't blame them). 

I can drive to Alaska from Florida as well...but choose to fly ....as we will on the 1st of August.  😉 

But in all seriousness...yes...I agree with you.  Sad to see that eccentric town with lots of local flavor...turn into a Carib Island style cruise ship tacky town.  😞 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, davekathy said:

I miss that terribly.  If you had an empty water bottle you could get his tequila cheap, and take it back on board without stopping for the liquor table.  Also he'd get you some of the rarer, non Tourist Mexican beers (not craft).  He and Evan at Nacional Beach Club had the rep for the best margaritas.  And Fernando could do seafood very well.

But Fernando still had a place along the malecon, onle open in the evenings and probably closed now for good.  The little convenience store he has across from 100% Agave is still there so if ships ever go back, you can swing by and say hello.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, momofmab said:

I was expecting a charming town (with a Charleston-esque vibe).  I was not impressed with the (forgive me) "Jersey Shore"  look and feel of the port.  

Excuse me.  What is wrong with the Jersey Shore.  I think you've been watching too many of those idiots on TV.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Excuse me.  What is wrong with the Jersey Shore.  I think you've been watching too many of those idiots on TV.  

My apologies - I used to go there quite a bit as a child (Point Pleasant).  I know there are nice areas.  I thought I’d give Myrtle Beach a break 😆

2 hours ago, momofmab said:

My apologies - I used to go there quite a bit as a child (Point Pleasant).  I know there are nice areas.  I thought I’d give Myrtle Beach a break 😆

No problem, especially when next door are exclusive communities of Bay Head & Mantoloking.  Besides the beach, your parent's must have taken you for the rides and the Aquarium..

On 7/12/2020 at 11:22 AM, livingonthebeach said:

Stomping grounds of Ernest Hemingway for one -- Hemingway House, Sloppy Joes, Blue Heaven, etc.  There's the Old Town Trolley and the HO HO.  Duval Street has many quirky boutiques, restaurants and bars. The Lighthouse museum, the Truman Museum, the Southernmost Point.  There's great scuba diving, snorkeling, kayaking and the Dry Tortugas. And of course the best Key Lime Pie!  No I don't work for the tourist board. LOL 😃

OH, YES!!!! The frozen key lime pie on a stick.  I had two last visit.  Love Key West. 

You forgot the wild chickens. 😁

16 hours ago, nelblu said:

No problem, especially when next door are exclusive communities of Bay Head & Mantoloking.  Besides the beach, your parent's must have taken you for the rides and the Aquarium..

Absolutely - the rides & the boardwalk and the seafood!

• 3 months later...

The initiative passed:

Voters in Key West, Florida, on Tuesday approved ballot initiatives to sharply limit the number of daily cruise ship visitors and the size of cruise ships.

The measures cap the number of persons disembarking to a total of 1,500 per day and prohibit ships with capacity for 1,300 or more persons (passengers and crew) from disembarking.

Voters also supported priority for cruise lines with the best environmental and health records.

According to The Miami Herald, all three measures were approved by wide margins, but a court battle looms.  

Pier B Development Corp., owner of one of Key West's three cruise docks, had sued Key West and the Committee for Safer, Cleaner Ships, which gathered enough signatures to get the initiatives on the ballot.

Hearing to examine legality of the changes

State Circuit Court Judge Bonnie Helms allowed the referenda to proceed but granted a post-election hearing to consider whether the proposed changes are legal. In October, Key West Citizen reported the possibility that Pier B Development Corp. could continue to take large cruise ships while the other two docks, one city-owned and the other owned by the US Navy, would have to follow the restrictions in the referenda.

The case hinges on who has the authority to regulate international shipping in local waters: local government or federal maritime law.

Busiest US cruise transit port

Key West is the busiest US cruise transit port, with 965,000 passengers on 417 calls in calendar year 2019.

The Greater Key West Chamber of Commerce calculates cruising's economic impact is worth an estimated nearly $91m a year and supports 833 jobs. 

According to data shared by the Chamber, restricting ships carrying more than 1,300 people would have a dramatic effect. Based on the same roster of vessels that visited last year, subtracting those with capacity above 1,300 leaves 12 ships. The total passenger count would be reduced to just under 11,000, and ship calls to 22.

• Thanks 1