Key West could vote no mega ships

6 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I wonder how many voters to ban ships were cast by people that moved to key west knowing that the cruise ships were there. Like the person who buys a house on the golf course and complains of all the golfers going by. 

Should it matter if they knew about them ahead of time? 

Ironically it was a small ship that damaged the Mallory pier in 2018.

At the time the City claimed a loss of $10k per month in passenger landing fees for ships that wouldn't be able to dock at Mallory.  The City appears to own that berth so the amendment impairs no other party for that berth other than the harbor pilots who won't be needed for cruise ships to the same extent. 

Pier B appears to be owned by the Margaritaville Hotel.  Time will tell how they will handle the revenue loss. 

Losses for the Navy is harder to model.  Whatever revenue cruise ship fees docking at the base represent can be written off as "improved base security".  With improved technology, vessel and aircraft range plus satellite technology is the Naval Air Station in Key West even relevant anymore? They should probably close it.  With modern Naval technology it should be cheaper to cover the same area from the Florida mainland.  

On 11/4/2020 at 9:45 AM, flamingos said:

I don't think they will.  There is a balance between being a tourist town and being a place to live; I hope this works for them.

I have several friends who live and work in Key West.  Two of them are native's.  While Key West welcomes tourism, they want the type that comes, spends the night in a hotel, has three meals a day, and then partakes of some of the local nightlife in the evening.  The large cruise ships were docking, people were getting off, walking around, not spending a dime in Key West, and leaving.  That is not the type of tourism they seek, and their vote said that loud and clear.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

I have several friends who live and work in Key West.  Two of them are native's.  While Key West welcomes tourism, they want the type that comes, spends the night in a hotel, has three meals a day, and then partakes of some of the local nightlife in the evening.  The large cruise ships were docking, people were getting off, walking around, not spending a dime in Key West, and leaving.  That is not the type of tourism they seek, and their vote said that loud and clear.

Not spending a dime except for an estimated $85m contributed to the economy annually and 1,250 direct or indirect jobs.

I get it.   If you own a hotel day tourists contribute very little to your bottom line.  When I stayed on Sugarloaf Key they felt the same way in Key West.  There is much cheaper accommodations 10-20 miles away and if you have a car it's an easy drive.   So they tried to reduce parking to encourage people to stay in Key West.   

Just like the hotel and shopping mall probably realized little revenue from cruise ship visitors the appliance stores and the hardware stores saw few day visitors buying a toaster.   Not all businesses benefit from day visitors in any tourist town.  That applies to beach or tourist towns all over America.

It is a complete exaggeration to say that cruise ships visitors don't spend a dime.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

I don’t think Venice, Italy cares about the revenue cruise ships generate, so why couldn’t feel the same way?

The financial issue is likely to be a bit different for a turnaround port than a simple port stop.

On 7/12/2020 at 2:22 PM, livingonthebeach said:

Stomping grounds of Ernest Hemingway for one -- Hemingway House, Sloppy Joes, Blue Heaven, etc.  There's the Old Town Trolley and the HO HO.  Duval Street has many quirky boutiques, restaurants and bars. The Lighthouse museum, the Truman Museum, the Southernmost Point.  There's great scuba diving, snorkeling, kayaking and the Dry Tortugas. And of course the best Key Lime Pie!  No I don't work for the tourist board. LOL 😃

So I’m guessing none of these sights are located in port next to Diamonds International. My idea of touring an island doesn’t include lunch and a pair of earrings. I usually book private tours or at the very least a ship tour. It seems like a lot people don’t venture past a short walk into port. Key West sounds like a place that I would like to spend a few days. I keep saying that I want to drive down when we visit Florida but the past few times all we do is visit the new 55 and over developments. We have driven up and down both coasts and across. It would be nothing to drive down to the Keys from where my in-laws live in South Florida. 

I'm sort of wondering what will happen to the "touristy" businesses near the port.  There are several I never went in (the aquarium, pirate museum, etc.).  Can places like this stay open?

Would a restaurant like Red Fish Blue Fish be able to stay in business without the cruise ship guests?

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

So I’m guessing none of these sights are located in port next to Diamonds International. My idea of touring an island doesn’t include lunch and a pair of earrings. I usually book private tours or at the very least a ship tour. It seems like a lot people don’t venture past a short walk into port. Key West sounds like a place that I would like to spend a few days. I keep saying that I want to drive down when we visit Florida but the past few times all we do is visit the new 55 and over developments. We have driven up and down both coasts and across. It would be nothing to drive down to the Keys from where my in-laws live in South Florida. 

You should go there at least once. Just a couple of blocks off Duvall St. there are some older homes with Baynon (?) trees that are amazing. Sure there are the touristy places, however there are some great little restaurants also. Blue Heaven as mentioned is one. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Most of the places I mentioned are within walking distance of the port. If you want to discover the heart and soul of the "Conch Republic",  you should plan to spend a few days -- it is well worth it. 

• Like 2

I have read the entire thread.

After a cruise stop at Key West, a year or two later we drove down for a week long stay.

Here are my thoughts.

Based on what I saw when the cruise ship left for the day, the bars and restaurants were still full.  So while there will be an economic impact, Key West will not dry up and blow away.

People several times people mention dollar figures in regards to the port.  Remember, it is not just cruises ships that use the port, freight traffic will still be there generating revenue

St Augustine and Fernandia Beach survives just fine without large cruise ships, no reason Key West can't.

Key West is just not Duval street.  There is the Hemmingway house, Truman's little White House (very interesting tour),  the butterfly convertory (I actually went there twice, once with my wife, the next day with my good camera and tripod).  There is even a little beach you 

2 hours ago, gatour said:

I have read the entire thread.

After a cruise stop at Key West, a year or two later we drove down for a week long stay.

Here are my thoughts.

Based on what I saw when the cruise ship left for the day, the bars and restaurants were still full.  So while there will be an economic impact, Key West will not dry up and blow away.

People several times people mention dollar figures in regards to the port.  Remember, it is not just cruises ships that use the port, freight traffic will still be there generating revenue

St Augustine and Fernandia Beach survives just fine without large cruise ships, no reason Key West can't.

Key West is just not Duval street.  There is the Hemmingway house, Truman's little White House (very interesting tour),  the butterfly convertory (I actually went there twice, once with my wife, the next day with my good camera and tripod).  There is even a little beach you 

The area will be more enjoyable for land tourists without the additional 6000 passengers walking off a cruise ship. So many passengers in port with these mega ships now. Ports are becoming over crowded and less enjoyable than in the past. You really have to research and plan in order to be away from the crowds.  

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

On 11/4/2020 at 7:15 PM, Iamcruzin said:

Key West is a destination on it's own.   A hit and run cruise stop  probably doesn't bring in as much compared to what the hotels and Airbnbs bring in from people who stay a few days. 

Exactly,  Key West is always crowded especially in the evening when the cruise ships are gone.  It's always difficult to find a hotel in Key West and their prices are pretty high.  The cruise ship passengers come in the morning and may walk around and take tours but they aren't around at night when the bars, restaurants and clubs get going.  The locals won't miss the cruise ships.

We have friends that are vacationing in St Maarten right now and they said that it's dead, very few tourists around, that island like many others are missing the cruise passengers

We stayed in Fort Lauderdale for a few days before a cruise a few years ago. Decided to drive down. Didn't look THAT far. Two lane highway. Super reduced speed limits. At least there wasn't an accident over a bridge! Took much longer than anticipated.

We ate lunch at a hotel that had a patio outside near the Hemingway house. Chickens were walking around and would jump up on the tables and steal food. We loved it!

We haven't been able to get back but I do want to spend more time than just a partial day. Some day...

18 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The area will be more enjoyable for land tourists without the additional 6000 passengers walking off a cruise ship. So many passengers in port with these mega ships now. Ports are becoming over crowded and less enjoyable than in the past. You really have to research and plan in order to be away from the crowds.  

I don’t believe the “Mega Ships” dock in Key West. 

M8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2020 at 2:11 AM, Iamcruzin said:

Yes you need to go 🙂   Not just for Key West but for the Keys in general and the drive.  

• Like 1

My last cruise to Key West was in the morning. I highly disagree with anyone who says it overcrowded the streets and the cruisers didn't purchase anything.

I was also at Key West 3 weeks ago for a few days. It is far more crowded at night, when the ships are gone. 

TBHH: As I'm not an American, I wouldn't to take part on that decisions... Let them to decide what's better for them all...

Meanwhile let me to just talk about another subject that may be in question not only on this but on many other similar decisions, including the ones here in Europe. Venice and Norway coming to my mind at this moment...

TBHH: In the advent of an Energy revolution and of a worldwide sustainability revolution as well, me thinks that cruise mega ships will to become slowly a thing of the past on the next few decades. I believe those 6 or so Oasis class, plus the 4 or so Icon class, plus the 4 or so MSC World class to become the first and the last batch of real mega ships.

So: Will this to be the end of mainstream cruising? Not exactly: Emergent technologies will permit the companies to have smaller profitable ships even for the mainstream markets. We will perhaps to see several medium sized ships of about 900 guests going at current mainstream prices. Indeed: Such a current Oceania or Viking cruise price can start by around a little bit more than booking a nice comparable cabin on a mainstream one, considering the perks... The industry will likely to readjust itself to the trends...

While I have fond memories of my lovely Allure of the Seas cruise here in Europe, I have no doubts on affirming that this will be a dated experience, as well as flying an Airbus A380 or a Boeing 747 is nowadays.

Times will evolve. Nothing will be the same. A new mainstream cruising will emerge surely adapted to the trends of the times.

Have a nice day!...

• Like 1

According to the Miami Herald, the only ships that meet the new criteria in order to dock in Key West, are the luxury cruise lines, Regent Seven Seas (owned by NCL), Silversea and Azamara (owned by RCG), and Seabourn (owned by Carnival).

The private owner of cruise Pier B filed a lawsuit against the city.  

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article246985347.html

• Thanks 1