Celebrity Cruise Ripoff

Rainypoo

On 7/25/2020 at 1:46 PM, Rainypoo said:

This is what the cruise line says but what choice did we have? This is unreasonable because I had no choice but to cancel based on the reports but they have had my money for a long period of time and will have it for much longer based on how long it will be until it's safe to cruise again.  I get the impression that others have large discretionary funds.  We do not.

You're tilting at windmills. You cancelled before Celebrity cancelled the cruise.  You were only entitled to 100% FCC based upon YOUR decision which you accepted at the time.  You did have the option of not accepting the FCC and take the loss for not sailing.

Now you want to change the rules? hat's your right.  However remember the Golden Rule.  He who has the gold, rules. You may chose not to sail Celebrity again.  It won't matter to Celebrity. I hope you find a cruise line that you like better.  As Bo says, Bon Voyage.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Stockjock said:

.  Well...on MSC if the FCC is unused, it's refunded as cash at the end of next year.  Not sure if Celebrity's policy is the same.

Just went to MSC’s website, I can’t find that anywhere, Re the FCC being refunded as cash next year IF unused, I did find where it said the FCC expires the end of next year..”non transferable and non refundable” was the exact language.

1 hour ago, yorky said:

Very unfair and misleading thread title in my view. 

LOL---  Just a little humor.

The title of the thread is what attracts readers. 

The content of the thread attracts posts .

The poster of the thread is hoping to set the record of the " Total number of pages " on CC.

( The poster of the thread also spends too much time on CC watching the same thread instead of  working on his/her golf game ).

Edited by Pinboy
If it is not within the Guidelines , please remove.

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Under 'current' policy if a sailing is cancelled a FCC is issued, if not used by the expiration date, then one can request a full refund.

I believe there is a deadline to request the refund as it is not automatic.

bon voyage

I was told by an upper level person at X that if we were unable to use the FCC by the expiration date we could request an extension. The cash refund wasn't mentioned as an option. We are content with that.

Edited by Luvcrusn
We were on the sailing in question. At that time we received almost daily communicars from X with the latest offers, the last one the nightbif March 12, the night before embarkation with changes to offers and also boarding prorocols.
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Under 'current' policy if a sailing is cancelled a FCC is issued, if not used by the expiration date, then one can request a full refund.

I believe there is a deadline to request the refund as it is not automatic.

bon voyage

I was told by an upper level person at X that if we were unable to use the FCC by the expiration date we could request an extension. The cash refund wasn't mentioned as an option. We are content with that.

We were on the sailing in question. At that time we received almost daily communications from X, the last one on March 12 very late the night before embarkation with the latest offers and boarding protocols. X was trying to navigate the changing landscape due to the pandemic and balance keeping passengers and crew safe and keeping their business running. They, as well as the rest of the globe couldn't know then what we would be dealing with now. Each day brought about unbelievable news. We all made choices based on our judgement, health risks, and information available at the time. I remember getting the 100% refund offer and thinking it was VERY fair. Yes, after cruises were cancelled a better deal was available than was offered to OP at the time, but OP has to deal with the choices available to them at the time. I could have purchased many stocks before they rose in value, but if I  didn't,  I can't demand, or request, to do so after the fact. We were and still are caught up in this pandemic. OP is alive and healthy, and has been made whole with 100% FCC. I would venture to guess that even if the expiration date of the FCC issued proved to before the development of a safe effective vaccine  X would be willing to make a one time extension. Stay well and healthy and happy sails.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Just went to MSC’s website, I can’t find that anywhere, Re the FCC being refunded as cash next year IF unused, I did find where it said the FCC expires the end of next year..”non transferable and non refundable” was the exact language.

I’ve seen it several places, but this is from the email I received.I’ve seen it several places, but this is from the email I received.

4CB340B4-5C44-4176-88B1-5206E1810D0A.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Thank you L - I knew someone would come along to either confirm or update...

bon voyage

39 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I’ve seen it several places, but this is from the email I received.I’ve seen it several places, but this is from the email I received.

This is no different than Celebrity.  You get 125% FCC, but if you decide to go for a refund, you only get 100%: "you will automatically receive a full refund equal to the original amount paid".

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

That is different than what is in the FAQ on the website for sure.  Maybe they have not updated that part.  That said, I'm one and done on MSC...it wasn't my cup of tea.  

Did the OP return and comment on whether they had insurance or not?

Many posts here seem to assume they did.  But it is hard to tell without confirmation.

It's not unheard of for passengers to forego insurance for whatever reason/excuse they might have.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Maybe it’s just me,  it it seems those with a big axe to grind have never bought trip insurance..

No, I think we've all noticed that. A simple claim submission to the insurance company is so much easier than waging a protracted and usually losing battle with a cruise line.

I have to admit, however, that for years DW and I travelled internationally with no separate travel insurance. Our medical insurance provided some decent coverage, so we assessed the risk and decided to "self insure". As it turned out, we gambled and won. Had we found ourselves in the OP's situation, we would have very happily accepted the FCC and considered it another win.

Trip insurance often does not cover pandemics, so not sure it would even apply in this case.  I am one who choses not to purchase regular travel insurance.  Now that I am on Medicare (and therefore older) I do purchase medical travel insurance that includes some $$ for repatriation.  But before that I never did, and I do not purchase other travel insurance, and I don't need an 'excuse'.  I worked in insurance for over 30 years so I know about risk versus benefit.  I've cruised more than 60 times.  Had I purchased travel insurance for each trip I would have paid way, way more than I would likely ever encounter if I had to cancel a cruise last minute or had some other issues.  I am not saying this approach is right for everyone, but it was a reasoned and logical approach for me and my family.  Most hotels can be cancelled up until shortly before travel.  Airfare can usually be cancelled for a penalty, with a future flight credit for the remainder.  Cruises can be cancelled, with penalties after a certain timeframe.  I do have some amount of travel insurance as a part of my credit card benefits - many people do not realize they have those.  People often just blindly purchase travel (and other) insurance without considering the risk versus benefit.  That's what insurance companies count on and how they stay in business.  Again, not saying it is not right for some people, sometimes.  But it is honestly not right for everyone, every time.

Edited by phoenix_dream

My Wife and I are in our 50’s..I have only bought travel insurance once, for our 30th Anniversary cruise trip...it was important to me to not have much at risk for that trip..I understood the risk/reward...the OP is just grasping at straws here..IMHO

meant as a reply to Phoenix Dream...

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2020 at 12:46 PM, Rainypoo said:

This is what the cruise line says but what choice did we have? This is unreasonable because I had no choice but to cancel based on the reports but they have had my money for a long period of time and will have it for much longer based on how long it will be until it's safe to cruise again.  I get the impression that others have large discretionary funds.  We do not.

‘Discretionary Funds’ has nothing to do with it. You deposited your money for a cruise but did not go on it and it is available for a future cruise. I’d hope you could afford going on that cruise and making the deposit didn’t put you into a financial hole and if you’d gone on the cruise, you’d have spent more than what you put into it initially. So making the statement that ‘we‘ may have large discretionary funds And you don’t is not only pointless, but seems to indicate you are angry that most posters when explaining the obvious aren’t showing the sympathy you expected. Your expectation that they refund your deposit is an issue with the Line, not us. Most of us are in the same situation of now having a good deal of funds wrapped in FCC....pretty much the same as when we book any cruise. They have our deposits, and in this case, longer than normal. 

I’m personally waiting until X adds more 2022 cruises to use my deposits (two of them by the way, plus two with Viking Line).  And yes, I can afford to have those funds tied up in a future cruise, just as I’d hope anyone who books a cruise can also, no matter how long the credit is tied up. 

Den

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

‘Discretionary Funds’ has nothing to do with it. You deposited your money for a cruise but did not go on it and it is available for a future cruise. I’d hope you could afford going on that cruise and making the deposit didn’t put you into a financial hole and if you’d gone on the cruise, you’d have spent more than what you put into it initially. So making the statement that ‘we‘ may have large discretionary funds And you don’t is not only pointless, but seems to indicate you are angry that most posters when explaining the obvious aren’t showing the sympathy you expected. Your expectation that they refund your deposit is an issue with the Line, not us. Most of us are in the same situation of now having a good deal of funds wrapped in FCC....pretty much the same as when we book any cruise. They have our deposits, and in this case, longer than normal. 

I’m personally waiting until X adds more 2022 cruises to use my deposits (two of them by the way, plus two with Viking Line).  And yes, I can afford to have those funds tied up in a future cruise, just as I’d hope anyone who books a cruise can also, no matter how long the credit is tied up. 

Den

Your point is well taken, but just for clarity's sake, I think that OP had more than a deposit involved and the cruise in question was after final payment and a matter of days until the sailing when they cancelled (or didn't show...I'm still not clear on that). 

On 7/25/2020 at 7:03 AM, Bo1953 said:

Yes, because their ship sailed and they were not on it!

bon voyage

Every decision has a consequence.  We cancelled a Norway cruise on Shilouette. Celebrity cancelled the cruise a couple days later.  We received a small refund and a FCC instead of a larger FCC OR a 100% refund.  My choice. Not the fault of Celebrity.  

Being a no show which it appears the OP decided to do had a consequence.  Am guessing one the OP did not consider.

• Thanks 1

And this thread along with so many other similar ones, is a perfect example to have a professional Travel Advisor, not some online booking agent, who can give you good advice on how to handle difficult and changing issues we are all facing now. So many of us made decisions that adversely impacted us and would have been different with professional assistance and guidance. I made my decisions of when to cancel with the assistance of my TA and fully understood the ramifications of the outcomes.

I am Not a TA; I am Not employed by any Line; I am Not someone who has extensive knowledge of how this business is run. I am just another customer/cruiser who doesn’t spend time trying to change the rules I agreed to or understood - or should have - because I want special handling because.......I’m Me!!

Den

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

And this thread along with so many other similar ones, is a perfect example to have a professional Travel Advisor, not some online booking agent, who can give you good advice on how to handle difficult and changing issues we are all facing now. So many of us made decisions that adversely impacted us and would have been different with professional assistance and guidance. I made my decisions of when to cancel with the assistance of my TA and fully understood the ramifications of the outcomes.

I am Not a TA; I am Not employed by any Line; I am Not someone who has extensive knowledge of how this business is run. I am just another customer/cruiser who doesn’t spend time trying to change the rules I agreed to or understood - or should have - because I want special handling because.......I’m Me!!

Den

Den - because of this post you deserve 'Special Handling' regardless....

Just Because I think so!!!  😎

bon voyage

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

Den - because of this post you deserve 'Special Handling' regardless....

Just Because I think so!!!  😎

bon voyage

Finally, someone has recognized what I deserve!!!

Bo, we Will have a nice glass of wine together someday!

Den

• Like 1