Thinking of booking a european cruise from Italy in late october....

I don't think it will sail. Americans can't travel to Europe and I wouldn't tie my money up with Royal. I'm booked on a Holyland cruise in November but I know we are not going. Royal has not cancelled it I'm sure hoping to get last payment since its due August. I suspect they will cancel after the last payment date.

Just cancelled the Presidents Cruise on Allure in Oct since it is becoming clear it will be difficult at best to travel from the US to Barcelona to board.  Too many variables to make this an enjoyable experience which is why we cruise in the first place!  Face masks, shots, quarantine, etc make wanting to force a cruise into our lives right now too stressful.  I want to be excited, joyful and anticipating a great, fun adventure.  This Oct, Nov just do not appear to offer this experience.  Final payment for us for the Allure TA is this week.  I know Royal will not cancel this cruise before final so we will cancel and take our FCC.  As hard as it is, sitting on the sidelines for now and waiting to see what shakes out is a viable option.  Hard choices to make and it hurts to see so much suffering by those who work so hard to provide us with our favorite vacation choice!

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 4:32 AM, mashisback said:

am i wasting my time or do you think there is a good chance of it going ahead??

Royal caribbean 24th October from venice

Sadly, I'd say it's a waste of time and also considering quarantine time for UK'ers leaving and coming back....does this still stand though? Not sure.

On 7/27/2020 at 1:12 PM, sandancer said:

as Americans are by far the majority of cruisers the cruise lines may not restart European cruises until the travel ban for Europe is lifted. 

Don't know where you got that idea.  Americans are definitely not the majority of cruisers in Europe

• Like 1

A start for Med cruising...

MSC GRANDIOSA will start sailing on the 16th August for 7 night cruises from Genoa. These will visit Civitavecchia, Naples, Palermo and Valletta

MSC MAGNIFICA will start sailing on the 22nd August for 7 night cruises from Bari or Trieste. These will visit Corfu, Katakolon and Piraeus

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crazyank said:

Don't know where you got that idea.  Americans are definitely not the majority of cruisers in Europe

Costa and MSC, totally agree. Royal, I think maybe more a good number US. I assume you’re an American by your screen name so you will know how much our US friends love the history and wonderful sightseeing in Europe. All our American cruising friends love Med cruises. 

32 minutes ago, ChC said:

China has not reissued any passport since March.

Given that first sailings may be like Mein Shiff 2 has been doing (cruises to nowhere), availability of passports and ports may not be an issue.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, little britain said:

MSC GRANDIOSA will start sailing on the 16th August for 7 night cruises from Genoa. These will visit Civitavecchia, Naples, Palermo and Valletta

MSC MAGNIFICA will start sailing on the 22nd August for 7 night cruises from Bari or Trieste. These will visit Corfu, Katakolon and Piraeus

They’re good itineraries, downside is that you have to purchase MSC shore excursions to get off but at 3 for 100 euros not bad prices 

I have a European cruise booked next summer and am not sure that they will be anxious to have Americans without proof that you have been vaccinated. Am beginning to wonder about that, leave alone October.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 12:54 PM, little britain said:

A slight update today:

“Our protocols go beyond any recommendations that we have received from any government authorities in Europe,” said Gianni Onorato, CEO of MSC Cruises, adding he hopes to have the final approvals to start cruising with two ships in the Mediterranean shortly.

The plan is to have the MSC Grandiosa offer seven-night cruises in the Western Mediterranean and the MSC Magnifica will serve the Eastern Mediterranean, with calls already booked into Italy, Greece and Malta. Both ships will operate under new health protocols.

The ships will be trimmed to 70 percent occupancy, allowing for 10 square meters of space per passenger. Empty staterooms will be available for isolation purposes, said Onorato, in an interview with Cruise industry News.

Asked whether MSC can generate profits at 70 percent occupancy, Onorato said: “Today we are making zero money … it’s important to give some proof that cruise ships can be a healthy bubble.”

Guests will require a COVID-19 test prior to boarding, meaning the embarkation day will be longer as all guests will get COVID-19 swab tests in the cruise terminal. All passengers will get a specific embarkation day time slot to arrive, staggering the turnaround day.

Crew will be tested in home countries, tested on arrival before boarding, and then will quarantine for 14 days after boarding. They will be granted shore leave in MSC-organized excursions. 

“Then there is training, the crew will be trained to perform duties with new protocols ranging from masks to social distancing, and more,” Onorato said.

MSC will be the first of the major cruise operators to return with port calls, but will control the entire experience. Guests will only be allowed to disembark if they are on MSC-organized shore excursions, which Onorato said would be economically priced.

Onboard, public venue capacity will be reduced to 50 percent, while self-service food is gone. Face masks will be provided daily to guests in their cabins and will be available around the ship.

Restaurants, bars and lounges, will allow for social distancing and all meals and drinks will be served to guests at their table.

Following two ships starting on week-long cruises, Onorato said a more extended restart would follow, most likely in the Mediterranean first with openings of more countries. Spain and Italy are expected to be next.